Ahri Build Guide by CrowNight
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hi everyone, lil bit of my own story, no need to read. :P
When Ahri came in as new champion, when I saw the videos and stuff, I said "meh". Then I gathered enough and bought her, just for a try. And omg I love her ! Since then she became one of my mains, and I tried out many builds, even from here or from other guide sites. After a little while I came with this one, and it still gives me decent results (like 15-2 or I once even had a 18-0) So now I decided to create my first guide just for Ahri to share this guide with you. :)
Enjoy ! ^^
History & Updates:
01 Jan 2012: Finally done with the guide. :D Enjoy it. :3
Pro's / con's
- Excellent escape if you have your ult
- 2 sec CC when E maxed.
- Not really squishy once you have your Rod Of Age and don't act stupid.
- VERY OP if you place her well.
- Can spam her skills (low CD).
- It's a damn cute human fox, omg. o.o
- Needs to be placed correctly, or else you're useless.
- Squishy in the beginning.
- Very mana dependant.
- Usually focussed.
- If you act stupidly with her, you can be sure you'll be useless.
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Scaling Health
Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
I chose a simple AP Rune set. It gives you some Greater marks of Insight which, added to your Sorcerer's Shoes & masteries, will give you enough so that you don't have to buy Void Staff. (Unless you're not focussed, then you can replace the Zhonya's Hourglass by the Void Staff). Some gold saved. :D
Next are the Greater Seals of Vitality. As you see the starting item doesn't grants you any health, so you have very low health in the beginning. This will help you a little bit. Ahri is very squishy as long you don't have your Rod of Ages.
And about the Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power and Greater Quintessence of Ability Power... Nothing to explain. Pretty common for an AP. ^^
I chose a really simple AP mastery tree. Nothing to explain, really. Gives you more AP, lil bit of cooldown reduction, More magic penetration and mana regen.
Viable Summoner Spells:
Flash is a plus for escaping or chasing. Can get you over the walls and stuff. Even if you use your Spirit Rush over the walls, can still help you to excape to a Blitzcrank or something like that.
Ghost is a pretty good escape/chasing tool too... Although I keep a preference on Flash for the ability to be able to go trough walls.
It all depends of you if you choose this or not. Sometimes when you tower dive your ennemy is left with like 5HP... Then you can rage. But if you have this you'll get him killed. But sometimes, for some, it just won't help or some even forget about it.. Take something else instead if it's your case.
Neutral Summoner Skills:
This is really according to how you play. Cleanse can save you after you dived someone with a CC under a tower or something, and Exhaust could help you getting some kills, but personnaly I don't take these.
Take this only if you really want to stay longer in your early game fase. It's true that, late game (unless you want to play a bit of support) it's simply useless.
No Good Summoner Skills for Ahri:
Erhm... It could do something if you lane... But really, with your passive and Hextech Revolver you won't find any need in this. Well... Maybe to escape a gank, but it doesn't really give that much health, so you have to be lucky if you use this.
You're not support, so why would you take this ?
Skills and Skill Sequence.
Explanations of the Skills:
This is a really usefull passive. If you time it right, it can probably save your life. It helps for your laning too. If you have your Sapphire Crystal in the beginning, you can more or less spam your skills. You have a pretty big mana pool, low Cooldowns. Btw, combined with Hextech Revolver (YES, it stacks together) gives a very nice spell vamp and dus a good laning substanibility.
This is a pretty ok early game harass, not the best, though. Ahri isn't that good harasser because of the short range. But mid-end game this becomes a very good damage skill. Very low CD, doesn't use that much Mana... So easily spamable. Good to get stacks for your passive. Once your passive is activated (with the 9 stacks), it's good to launch this because this is the one that can hit the most. Be smart. Wait for a new fresh minion wave to come before using it, so you get the max health out of it.
Beginning, and even any time in the game, this is pretty much the skill that grants you the most damage of all your skills, and it prioritizes champions ! Just like your ultimate ! But... Well... Beginning maybe not. From lvl 3, once you hit your E, it's fine to launch it with your Q and generally the half of your ennemy's health went poof.. But unless that, don't use it. It's mana waste.. Although you can use it to get some stacks for your passive.. But believe me, you better keep it for when you attack or when you're attacked.
A very good CC. 2 seconds long when maxed. The only thing is that it is a skillshot that CAN hit minions. This is one of the reasons she have to be nicely placed. Mid, you generally stay on the borders to try to snatch your ennemy with this. End game it's nice to use with your ult to catch up on fleeing ennemies.
To be honest with you, I believe this is the best ulti in the game. Ahri is an assassin, if you didn't know it yet. She has high damage. And this, my friends, will help you getting feed in the beginning. Don't do it if you're not sure to get the kill, or else you'll get killed yourself (because yes, this is dangerous !). If your ennemy is at about 500-400 health... Don't do it if you're in the beginning.. Try to hit him with the E - W - Q again, and then you can easily tower dive with your Ultimate. Indeed, you understood it. Beginning of the game, this ultimate can be used for two things: To tower dive or to escape any kind of gank. Please be smart when you tower dive, and don't, I repeat DON'T, forget your W !!!
- Sorcerer's Shoes: It's pretty obvious why we take this.. Magic penetration. Although, you could be tempted to replace these by Ionian Boots of Lucidity for that bit of CDR. I used that before and it can help a bit, true. But then you have less magic penetration. Maybe you can take a Void Staff if you take the Ionian Boots of Lucidity. But I have a personnal preference for the Sorcerer's Shoes.
- Rod of Ages: This is THE item that will make you not squishy anymore. It's pretty much a MUST on Ahri. Gives you health, Mana, and AP. All you need.
- Will of the Ancients: This is a nice items to help you survive. Some people told you you could replace this with Hextech Gunblade... Well idk, I actually never tried. o.O Maybe it can help out stacked with the Lich Bane ?
- Rabadon's Deathcap: Pretty obvious why we'd take this. Why don't we take this earlier ? Because like I said and repeated, Ahri is a SQUISHY champ. So better give a bit survibility first, then go for damage.
- Lich Bane: You may ask yourself "Why this ?". Well it's actually simple. You know, when you use your skills, like for example you did your whole skill combo to someone... And you have a high AP already... Imagine this; You hit your E, Auto Attack, do your W and Q, auto attack, then your ult and between each jump you auto attack. This... Well is the pure death of your target, unless he has a whole bunch of HP.
Zhonya's hourglass: This is chosen because it gives some armor with the bonus AP. It can be replaced if you're not focussed;
- By Banshee's Veil if you get some hits during a teamfight, but no focus.
- By Void Staff if you think you don't have enough magic penetration. It's a plus for damage, but permits you a little less survibility..
- By Archangel's Staff This could be used for extra damage and lack of mana.... Although this could be ok, you'll have less survibility, again.. I don't really recommend this.
A game with Ahri
Begin with Sapphire Crystal and Health PotionX2. Makes you able to spam your skills easily. Get stacks on your passive, empty your mana, get much gold by last-hitting minions, harass your ennemy, try to make him/her lose some health, then back, take your Catalyst The protector and Boots of Speed, come back..... Then start over.
Mid & Late Game
By now your should already have your three first items. Which means Sorcerer's Shoes, Rod of Ages and Hextech Revolver or Will of the Ancients. Now you have two possibilities. Or you stay in your lane and def, or, if it was easy, you go gank and get some more money ready for your Rabadon's Deathcap and Lich Bane. Stay behind your team mates when a teamfight begins. Once it's all engaged, try to go to their squishies and do your combo. Then try to use Fox-Fire and Spirit Rush in the middle of the ennemy team, it'll give them some significant damage. Then go back behind and spam your W and Q. Remember to always try to get the squishies out with your E.
Well. This was it. :)
I hope you'll have a lot of fun with Ahri, because once you get her, she's actually really fun to play. High mobility, confuse your target, it's pretty funny when you see it. Just try to not act stupidly, and it will all be fine ! She's not as hard nor that EASY that people say. She IS OP, but you need to know how to play her.
Have fun !
PS: Thanks to jhoijhoi for the line dividers/separators. ;D