Akali Build Guide by Krad
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
// Akali, she has been a very underrated champion from the patch of Hextech Gunblade nerf, that, and that many of the players we see with Akali leave a bad impression by not knowing how to use it. Akali need a great ability in the game to attack aggressively and not die, to escape their opponents and to be the murderer under the moonlight.
// From the first time I use Akali, my world changed, I found a perfect character that can not be used by anyone and can change the outcome of a game, I fell in love. I used to play just with her, but at the end of 2011 this champion was one of the "basic" bans in ranked/Draft games, because of that I learned to use other characters, but Im always go back to Akali and I realized that the best champion for my play style is Akali and there is nobody like her.
Pros / Cons
+ // Insane Damage with Mark of the Assassin.
+ // Can escape easily. ( Twilight Shroud and Shadow Dance)
+ // Pro Chasing with Shadow Dance.
+ // Great farmer.
+ // Great at ganks.
+ // Strong in team fights and 1 vs 1.
- // Squishy.
- // Hard to master.
- // First target by the enemy.
- // Oracle's Elixir and Vision Ward destroys her.
- // Need specific rune page for Twin Disciplines.
- // No crowd control.
// These summoner spells should be your common picks because they fit Akali best. These are not the only spells that can be used, but surely the best combination.
Ignite: I prefer this summoner spell because is part of the Akali burst damage, and as an Akali player, your opponent always runs away with barely any life left, im sure of that, but this spell solves that problem doing true damage and reducing healing effects.
// The perfect spell for our aggro style with Akali, enter with a Q - R - hit - W - E - Ignite basic combo should scare/kill/destroys your opponent self-esteem.
Flash: The best way to harass while you get your Shadow Dance or escape from enemy ganks flashing trough walls, in combination with Shadow Dance you can escape almost from anyone.
// Using an aggro Flash for doing a combo in early game its something that your opponent will realize when he is respawning in nexus, if you success Im sure your opponent will have fear every time you approach, causing him to lose his farm and doing mistakes, maybe trying to kill you for a 1 - 1 situation but thats what we wanted to do, when he is dead, go and buy Blasting Wand and some Health Potion if you have the money, let him push the line thinking he is dominating and you cant do anything, when he is close to your turret zone just go, doing a basic combo you will kill him again leave you in a 2 - 0 situation, hard to recover from your line enemy and psychologically affect his team, feed Akali = gg.
You know what they are?
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power(3):
// With 3, it gives you "15" Ability Power early game, helps with Twin Disciplines.
greater seal of vitality(9):
// Increase your health per level for survivability.
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration(2):
// Extra magic penetration.
Greater Mark of Attack Damage(7):
// Helps to activate the 8% spell vamp of Twin Disciplines.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power(9):
// More Ability Power for burst insane damage in early game, also helps with Twin Disciplines
// This runes page is mainly based on his passive Twin Disciplines in the early game and a massive AP burst. You really need this passive at the start for harass and good farm
// The 21/9/0 is the best option for an aggressive Akali. The offense tree is based to give Akali the AP burst she need and complete Twin Disciplines requirements. Defense tree helps to get a consistent Akali with good Health increase for survivability.
Tier 1 //
helps with a little boost on Ability Power and Attack Damage when ignite is on cooldown.
gives you the 3 Attack Damage left for Twin Disciplines. And
that gives you 3 Ability Power also for Twin Disciplines.
Tier 2 // Sorcery Gives you 4% cooldown reduction, you need this with 4 points to advance and get Arcane Knowledge
Tier 3 // Arcane Knowledge Give you 10% Magic Penetration, you really need this, 10% is alot in this game, gives you a great advantage vs a low magic resistance enemy.
Tier 4 // Blast Gives you 1 Ability Power per level, 18 AP at level 18.
Tier 5 // Archmage You need more Ability Power?, YES!! increases your AP by 5%.
Tier 6 // Executioner Enemy running with less than 40% of health? I dont thin so, this help you to kill faster a low health enemy, increasing your damage by 6%.
Tier 1 //
Gives you up to +6 Magic Resist perfect if you are laning against an AP.
Gives you a little +6 armor bonus. Choose these if you are laning an AD champion. This masteries are interchangeable, choose your best option in each game.
Tier 2 // Durability Gives Akali +108 Health at level 18, in combination with greater seal of vitality gives you more survivability.
Tier 3 // Veteran's Scars More Health for Akali. Give you +30 Health.
Twin Disciplines: // With both in the start of every game you'll be owning your line with the 8% bonus magic damage and the 8% spell vamp that gives you more resistance and longer stance.
Mark of the Assassin (Q): // This is the only range skill in Akali, it has only two utilities, farming in a safe position and harass the enemy champion, leaving a mark in a minion or enemy champion and then hit with auto attack will give you huge advantage in farming time and high damage to the enemy champion in early game, if you continue a good harass your enemy will be forced to fall back losing XP, Gold, and the lane.
//You're going to want to max out [Mark of the Assassin] before [Crescent Slash] and after [Shadow dance].
- // Farming, you have two ways to do it, the first one is kill creeps last hitting with Q, this grants you a secure position and great spacing. The second is mark creeps with Q and then auto attack, this one is a faster way to farm but your exposed to enemy harass in the moment you go for an auto attack
- // Harass, its simple, while you are farming you can harass your opponent, the best way its use Q just after the enemy basic/farm attack to a creep, your opponent will be on something like a Cooldown until he can do the next attack, in this moment if you get in range hitting your opponent he can only click back to run away. he can attack in response so this cause him some mental pressure that gives you a great advantage.
- // Double Mark Burst, this technique gives you a scary high damage in a second, but how? its timing. First use your Q on your enemy to leave a mark, you have 6 secs cooldown (at level 1) before you can do the next Q, its the same time it takes your mark to disappear, so when your CD has 1-2 secs left Flash/run near your enemy and hit with auto attack activating the first mark, now your cooldown its over, go for another Q an then auto attack, you don't spend more than 2 secs in this so your opponent responses are late, you can combo this to an Ignite. I personally recommend this to secure your first blood, start with light harass and when your enemys life is at the point for you to do this technique, go for it! try to kill it at the first try, because is harder to do it a second time if your opponent is good. This technique separate good Akali from all the occasional players.
Twilight Shroud (W): // This skill has many uses, helps you farming, scare, slow and escape from enemys, the perfect skill for Akali an assassin champion, the only thing you need to know about this skill is how and when you need to use it.
//You're going to want to max out [Twilight Shroud] at last.
- // Farming, The way to use it, is using W in your enemy champion and running in to the cloud, this will scare him, he probably think about a gank, this makes your enemy go back because he can't see you and if he gets in the cloud can be slowed and strong harassed, this give you space and time to farm properly.
- // Slow, Escape: You can slow your enemy to harass or escape, the way you do it is the same, in harass you need to place W in front of your opponent if he's running or behind if you are going to start, to get the maximum slow effect he need to run across all the smoke diameter. In the escape method is the same, if you are running put it in front of the enemy he will get slowed across all the cloud, if he is very close get in your cloud walking in the edge because in most of the time they point in the middle, and run away in the direction your enemy need to walk more in the cloud.
- // How, When, Where?: You need to determine whether it is needed to use Twilight Shroud, you can use for checking bushes safely. In the summoner rifts there are some places you can use Twilight Shroud wisely to confuse your opponent, by placing the mid of your cloud in a corner, your enemy don't know where to run to get you, I will show you with some pics.
Be careful of this champs:
Twisted Fate Ulti
Lee Sin Tempest and sonic wave
Shyvana Flame Breath
And champions that bring Vision Wards
Crescent Slash (E): // You can use this skill to farm or last hit an enemy champion, is the only skill in Akali that can hit multiple creeps/champs, this skill uses a lot of energy so you need to use it wisely or you will stay without energy for next attack.
//You're going to want to max out [Crescent Slash] before [Twilight Shroud] and after [Mark of the Assassin].
- // Farming, auto attack each minion once, until they have the Hp to kill them all with Crescent Slash or go in the middle of a minion wave and do E to auto attack low hp minions and at the same time trow Q for fast farming.
- // Last Hit, Just in case you know the enemy will die, or all your skills were in cooldown, use it.
- // Multi Slow, This skill in combination with Rylai's Crystal Scepter can slow all your near enemys, helps a lot in team fights.
Shadow Dance (R): // This is what characterizes Akali, you can do whatever you want with this, you can use it up to 3 times and you get one stack each assist or kill. You can chase, escape, kill, each one of these have a thousand ways to do, this skill can only be mastered by experience in different situations.
You're going to want to max out [Shadow Dance] First.
- // Basic combo, Hit the enemy with (Q) Mark of the Assassin wait for the 1 - 2 secs before the cooldown is gone and use (R) Shadow Dance to get close and start the combo > Auto attack > (Q) Mark of the Assassin > Auto Attack > (E) Crescent Slash.
- // Chase, Escape: Use Shadow Dance everytime your enemy go away with a Flash, Exhaust, Ghost and things like that. To escape hit minions or another forever alone enemy champion to get away.
- // Team Fights, Just go in to the enemy team with Shadow Dance and use Twilight Shroud if they dont have Oracle's Elixir or Vision Ward, in other way, you are dead ninja.
// Boots of Speed: I get boots first because they increase your movement speed by 1, it helps you to chase, escape, and dodge skill shots easier at start.
// Health Potion(3): With 3 pots you can last longer in line, enough to raise the gold to buy Blasting Wand or Amplifying Tome, depends your line situation. Use them at 50% - 60% of Health.
// Blasting Wand, This is the first item you have to buy in your first back, gives you 40 AP, with this item you will destroy your enemy early game. I recommend this if you got line control, not losing alot of HP, and if you are getting harassed go for Hextech Revolver first. My guide recommend this first because 95% of the time, I got line dominace with Akali.
// Hextech Revolver, Go for Amplifying Tome first, at this point you have to take a choice, go for Rylai's Crystal Scepter first or make Hextech Revolver for the 40 AP and 12% spell vamp, if you go for Rylais you need to be very careful with your Health, spell vamp gives you more sustainability in line/fights, thats why I do this second.
// Giant's Belt, If you got Blasting Wand and Hextech Revolver you need more Health, this gives you easy +430 Health and its part of Rylai's Crystal Scepter
// Health Potion, At early game sometimes I still need some pots, why? because I get involved in many fights and this can be the difference between kill or be killed.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
// Mercury's Treads, This boots are the best for Akali if you are facing a Team with alot of CC, reducing the stun,slow,snare,etc, time. Some times I get Rylai's Crystal Scepter first, but is up to you know when you have to buy in the game, but the sooner the better.
// Rylai's Crystal Scepter, This is the most important item on Akali, gives you 80 AP, +500 Health, and slow enemy speed 35% for 1.5 seconds, once you have this item, it will be almost impossible for your enemies to escape, and more survivability with more health. I personally buy Blasting Wand > Giant's Belt > Amplifying Tome > Rylai's Crystal Scepter in that order, because after the AP increase you need a Health increase for survivability thats why I buy belt second.
// Rabadon's Deathcap, We hear rabadon and we all know this item gives you the highest AP on the game, if you are an AP champion you sure try to get this. Give +140 AP and passive increase AP by 30%. I buy Needlessly Large Rod first and then complete de cap.
// Guardian Angel, After getting Rylai's Crystal Scepter and Rabadon's Deathcap you surely doing massive damage, you dont need more AP, now you need this item, grants you 68 armor and 38 magic resistance, and thats not all, his passive revive your champion upon dead with 750 Health, 5 minutes cooldown. This item owns, you can kill 1 - 2 champs, get focused, "die", revive and kill another champion or escape.
// Lich Bane, I love this item in late game, his passive it's what we are looking for, when you use an ability like Mark of the Assassin, your next physical attack will deal an additional 100% of your AP in damage, with 2 secs cooldown. So, this in combination with your Mark of the Assassin combos will give you a massive burst and destroy your enemy in seconds.
// Hextech Gunblade, We need this item for the 20% spell vamp and his active, its like an Ignite with slow of 50% for 3 seconds. In team fights we need this item, to get a hard DPS enemy or escape from a fast one, his active in combination with effects like Rylai's Crystal Scepter your enemy will 1 - 2 step dead.
// Void Staff, First, purchase this item in mid-late game if you are facing an enemy that began to buy magic resistance against you. Gives you 40% magic penetration. If not, buy it when you consider it necessary in late game for faster kills.
// Abyssal Scepter, This item is to be used when going against an AP based enemy. Give you 57 Magic Resistance and special aura that reduces nearby enemy magic resist by 20.
// Zhonya's Hourglass, Buy this item only if you are dying a lot even if you have Guardian Angel because your enemy is focusing you always first and only wait for you to start the team fight. While your allies kill enemies champions you get invulnerable with this for 2 seconds, enough time to kill 1 enemy champ.
// Banshee's Veil, This item provides 375 Health and blocks one spell every 45 secs, Useful against some ultis like Skarner, Amumu, Ashe, etc this item can save you from death.
// Quicksilver Sash, I love this item, with 56 Magic resistance use it when you face an enemy team with many Crowd Control, his active its a Cleanse in item!!!! Yeah I know, you dont see this item frequently, but its very useful against big CC teams and its cheap.
Elixir of Fortitude
Elixir of Brilliance
// Elixir of Fortitude, More Health that helps you in 1 vs 1 or surviving team fights. Buy it if you have extra gold.
// Elixir of Brilliance, This gives you more AP and reduces cooldown, this will give you more advantage vs an enemy, go for it when you have 250 gold to spare.
// Oracle's Elixir, When you buy this is mainly to see an enemy champ, but you can use it to destroy enemies wards, its very useful against enemies like: Twitch, Evelynn, Akali, Shaco, Talon, Teemo, Vayne and Wukong
// Sight Ward, I dont think this item requires an explication, you need this for jungle control, prevent ganks, that's why all say: buy a ward save a life.
// Vision Ward, Use this when you dont have money for Oracle's Elixir, buy one of this immediately if you are facing champs like Twitch, Evelynn, Akali, Shaco, Talon, and Wukong. Always place one of these in baron and dragon, to destroy other Sight Ward or Vision Ward.
Pictures of some games with this build using my Akali
(I had alot, but my windows crash and lost everything, soz)
- Pictures of some Twilight Shroud (W) uses.
- Match ups and basic strategy vs every LOL champion.
- And ALOT MORE!
Character Updates in the Jayce Patch for Akali
Crescent Slash (E) Energy Cost Decreased per level to 60/55/50/45/40, from 60.
Crescent Slash (E) now Triggers Mark of the Assassin.
Akali - The Shadow Assassin
Akali: The Epitome Of An Assassin.
Akali AP pro
Dancing in the Shadows - S3 Akali In-Depth (with Video)