Anivia Build Guide by iwillblessu
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello! and welcome to my Anivia guide! First off i'd like to tell you WHY anivia is so amazing at what she does.
1.She has AMAZING burst damage. One of the best early game mages out there(ones that are better are ( Brand, Swain, Annie)
2. SHE HAS A WALL!!! Running away from that Ashe in the jungle? Use Crystallize and get away while laughing.
3. A Slow and a stun in 1 champion! Althought her stun ( flashfrost) is somewhat unreliable, its still great. An AoE slow AND an AoE attack speed reduction with a low cd! sounds pretty amazing to me
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
+ AoE slow and attack speed reduction
+ Can Create an impassable wall, entirely changing the battlefield
+ Essentially has 2 lives with passive ( 3 with guardian angle)
+ AoE stun (if detonated correctly)
+ Does double damage with Frostbite if slowed (which is like always)
+ shes a bird...*epic family guy reference incoming* the bird is equal too or greater than the word! CHECK AGAIN!
- Really squishy early game
- Your passive actually puts you at negative resistances, making you more vulnerable.
- Stun can be hard to land at times
- if they have Quicksilver Sash or Cleanse you might have a hard time slowing them , which is how you get your damage
- No Pokemon skin
I go 9/0/21 with Anivia because I feel she can gain so much more from the utility tree than the offense. The new masteries allow some ap champs to go offense , but this shouldnt be the case for anivia. there are too many good things in utility. For example, the extra mana from Expanded Mind and the extra mana regen from Meditation . While we get essential Cool down reduction from Intelligence . Theres alot more masteries that are fantastic,but I shouldnt need to explain them all, as they are all self-explanatory.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power : I get the flat AP quints because it gives me a better early game where I can get a few kills with the added AP
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration : Every mage needs magic penetration. And Anivia is no exception. It allows your spells to hit harder than without Mpen.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power : This provides me with a good amount of AP late game where Anivia seems to slack off a bit. (dont get me wrong shes still great late game, but enemies start building Banshee's Veiletc.)
- Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration: I get MP5 regen per level because you shouldnt be spamming your spells early game, but you should be late game. Feel free to replace these with flat MP5 but I perfer the per lvl.
Flash : I get Flash on Anivia because it has saved my butt so many times. An instant blink that can go over walls and can make or break a death or a kill.
Ghost : You could get this on Anivia as she is such a SLOW CHAMP! but, I perfer ignite for the extra early game kills
Ignite : This spell is just great on any mage. Added TRUE DAMAGE burst and shuts down people like Swain, Warwick, dr.mundo
Abilities, and how to use them
- rebirth: An amazing passive. You can pull off some amazing tricks with this. If your facing a Brand and he gets you down to 1/3 health and your lvl 3-4 , dont recall! use this passive to good use. Try to bait him into turret diving you, and than he will be like "WTF ANIVIA YOUR EGG OP! NERF RIOT!" The trick to this is to wall RIGHT before you die to trap him in tower range for longer, making it more likely for him to die. But dont do this if the enemy can kill you even in your egg form and you're by your tower.
- Flash frost (Q): This ability is great. Its a skill shot slow/stun , so you have to be good with this to hit it. To make it even more challenging, its a slow skill shot. You will have to get used to this. The real beauty of this skill is that it can hit the enemy twice, even three times if your lucky! You have to detonate it (hit Q) right after the projectile hits them, causing them to take the dmg from it traveling and the detonation damage.
- crystallize (W): If you're not good with this skill, it can be a horrilbe skill. But if you're good with this, it can make or break a team fight. The most renown use of this ,is to wall off the jungle (if you're team fighting in the jungle ,this is great). It can separate an entire team even if you're not in the jungle. Dont be annoying and wall off an ally in the jungle while he dies...please dont.. =DAs you can see, Crystallize gives you sight, so you can use it to check bushes.BUT DO NOT THINK THAT THIS REPLACES WARDS!!!
- Frostbite (E): This is your main damage skill. Not much to say here, except try to only use it when an enemy is slowed or you know its going to kill the champion even if they're not slowed.
- Glacial storm (R): This ability is how you get your slow off in team fights. This ability is also great for farming but it drains alot of your mana,so get blue buff whenever you can.This also applies an attack speed reduction , so it can shut down an ad carry ( Vayne, Xin Zhao, Ashe, etc.)
Crystallize deserves its own mention. Its a skill that can be game changing. It allows you to alter the terrain on the fields of justice. While this skill is amazing, you can lose games with it too.
First, lets go over the uses of Crystallize
1.To block off an enemy in the jungle.
2.To stop the animation of a channeled ult (
3.To give sight.
Now, i'd like to go over HOW to use it.
As you can see, you can only use the wall in a circular fashion. Thus making it a hard skill to use, and turning one way can help you position it , but it might kill you. Use this wisely.
Laning with Anivia
You always want to go mid if you have a choice. If you dont, try to lane with someone with a slow( has to be an icy slow like Ashe). At level one , you cant do much. So focus on farming and last hitting while not trying to get harrased by level one harrasers such as Brand and Cassiopeia.
At level two/three the game changes. You can start half healthing some squishies! Lead your Flash Frost and detonate it RIGHT AFTER the projectile hits the desired champion. I cannot stress that enough. If you don't, you could lose some damage on the target. After that, simply Frostbite than run away and go back to farming. Sometimes the enemy will dodge all your Flash Frosts and make you rage in your chair, throw your keyboard at the wall, and just give up. BUT DONT!!!
Now your level 6. Above when i said the game changes, that is only a minor change. Now you have Glacial Storm, a reliable slow to get that double damage off on the target. To harass, just put down Glacial Storm and than Flash Frost,following up with a Frostbite. After that back off unless they are in a kill able range. Than, you want to Crystallize them into your ult for even longer, and wait for Frostbite to come back up.
Mid game as Anivia
So 2 turrets are gone. maybe they're yours maybe not. You want to focus on farming, and getting easy kills.(dont get greedy =D). Other than that, mid game is pretty basic as Anivia. Don't get caught, focus on farming and stick with your team if they plan to do dragon, baron, or do an early team fight.
Late game team fights
Anivias role in a team fight is to focus down the target of your teams choosing (usually the Ad carry or mage). Lead with your Flash Frost and than Frostbite, Next you want to lay down your Glacial Storm and Crystallize if you find an opportunity to separate their team even by a little. After that just make sure you have a slow on your target before you use Frostbite and dont get in the front of the fight, always stay in the back and let your tank initiate first.
I get 1 point in Flash Frost at level one because a stun can save an ally (jungle ganks) or just harass ( I don't recommend harassing until lvl 2 or 30.I max out Frostbite first because its Anivias main source of damage output. Flash Frost is next because its the next move that damages someone. Crystallize is maxed last because while it may be a good spell, its not worth maxing first or second.
- mercury treads if needed, but 90% of the time you should get sorcerers shoes
: Standard Mage boots. Will make your abilites do more damage. You can replace this with
- Anivia could want. Health to counter your ability to instantly die if focused, mana so you dont run out of mana in a team fight and ability power to make your spells hit harder. Not much to say here. Mandatory imo.
: This item gives everything
- Infinity Edge for casters. Gives 140 AP on top of an amazing passive that increases your overall ability power by 30%! you get 182 ability power from this item alone!
: This item will give you extra mana regen and a 1000 cap on your mana with a awesome passive that turns your mana into even MORE ability power! The early tear of the godess will help in the laning phase and
- Void Staff or Banshee's Veil depending on how the game is going.
: This has the second highest ability power in one item. It also gives 50 armor. But the real reason its so popular, is because of its active ability. Using it will grand you invulnerability for 2 seconds, but you cant attack while in this state. If you're being focused ,pop this. Avoids a lot of Damage if used properly. Feel free to replace this with a
- Void Staff gives a good amount of ability power and a unique passive that gives you 40% magic penetration. A great item as by this time in the game, the enemy team will start building Magic and armor resistance :
: I find this item to be quite redundant. You don't need the extra slow because you already have 2! This spell might seem good to begginers, but trust me its not.
: This item will make your enemies rage hard. I only get this if I feel like trolling or if I need the extra life. If you get this, it will essentially make you have 3 lifes (normal life, Rebirth, and Guardian Angel. im not entirely sure if Rebirth or Guardian Angel procs first, ill have to look into that.
: This item is pretty good on Anivia. It gives you mana, cool down reduction and amazing armor/attack speed reduction aura. I always get Zhonya's Hourglass over Frozen Heart though just because it gives you more burst (100 ap), defense (50 armor) and an amazing active.
: I haven't gotten this item with Anivia before, but in theory it seems good. She has reliable AoE damage and burst that cannot really be avoided. I will provide more feedback on this item after some testing. Can't decide what it will replace though.
Rod of Ages and Archangel's Staff
This is a very debated topic between Anivia players. First I'd like to discuss the pro's and cons of rushing said items
-The mana and ability power give a great early-mid game
-It takes some time to get the full effects.
-Not as great mana sustain as Archangels
Great Mana regen and Flat mana
Stackable mana so you can really see the effects
Not any health to provide you with lane sustenance
Might take a long time to stack up the mana
IN CONCLUSION: I get both! Rod of Ages gives me the health i need to not be one shotted and provide me with better laning phase. Archangel's Staff helps me with late game mana issues and allows me to spam my spells in team fights without worrys of being OOM. Plus, the Rod of Ages mana will give you the 3% mana to ability power increase that you get from Archangel's Staff
Creeping / Jungling
In lane, Anivia is a very difficult last hitter without the use of her ult and blue buff. Her attack animation is very slow and will take some getting used to. Just last hit with your auto attacks and Frostbite if you might miss one(not recommended).
When you get blue buff and your lvl 6+ ,farming with Anivia is pretty basic. You almost always want to have blue buff because your ult (main farming ability) obliterates your mana if left on for a long time. Anivia is one of the best farmers in the game because of Glacial Storm. Pop that on a minion wave and watch the gold come in. you can also jungle pretty easily with blue buff. Again, put down Glacial Storm and Frostbite if needed.
Overall, Anivia is an excellent, well-rounded champion. She can Stun, slow ,and burst people at the same time. If you're looking for a mage and dont have anivia, i suggest you buy her or wait till she's free to play her because she is super fun to play. (if you get a skin, get the hextech one =P lol
I will also try to add more videos/screenshots showing how to team fight and proper wall placement.
Thank you so much jhoijhoi! I cant say it enough.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Credits to jhoijhoi
Also, i'd like to give credits to Taneren who gave my constructive criticism and has been with my guide since the begining
And credits to y'all! for making me have the number 1 anivia guide. Couldn't have done it without you guys.
December 9th-guide published
December 18th- Added crystallize section, switched masteries a little bit.
December 24th- updated masteries, addded more items to other items section. Added more gameplay sections.
January 4th- Updated the item order. Made ToG early and archangel right after rod of ages. thanks guys! Also, number 1 anivia guide! wewt! Added Credits section. Updated masteries.