Ezreal Build Guide by Greenman
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hey Everyone, this is my first real guide, hope you like it. I Have loved Ezreal ever since i first picked him up, he is so fun to play and can do some pretty amazing things. Recently i have been seeing a LOT of other ezreals rushing tri-force and a Bloodthirster and complaining that Ezreal is a **** AD carry because he doesn't do enough damage. I am so sick of seeing this, i am writing my guide to let others know that in order to really dominate with Ez and have some serious late game damage, you actually need to build for late game damage *gasp*.
Pros / Cons
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
Pretty typical for any AD carry
Greater Mark of Attack Damage and Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage are my personal favorites because Ezreals Mystic Shot is a pretty awesome poke early game, and with an extra 15 AD to start off with, it is devastating. If you can land your skill shots, you will win your lane. Greater mark of desolation and greater quintessence of desolation are also pretty good but it is really all about personal preference.
Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration is essential, especially for Ezreal. He has very bad mana problems early game and, as long as you aren't too aggressive, these should be perfectly fine for mana regen. If need be, just get a couple of mana pots and you should be fine until you can convince your AP carry to let you have the blue buff :P.
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction. Simply put, MORE QQ SPAM! Getting that passive up late game increases your Damage incredibly.
I like to go all out damage for Ezreal. He is the easiest AD carry in the game to position/ escape with with Arcane Shift so i think you can afford to spend the extra points in damage over defense. A good AD carry should never be in the middle of the teamfight in the first place.
summoner's wraith and Summoner's Insight are picked up to go with Flash and Exhaust/ Ignite
Being high damage, you want all the damage masteries possible: Brute Force , Deadliness , Havoc and Executioner .
This build will focus on Ezreal's passive ( Rising Spell Force) and using his Mystic Shot as more of a damage supplement, so Alacrity and Lethality are gotten to bolster this.
Armor Pen masteries are important for any AD carry, so pick up Weapon Expertise and Sunder
Ezreal's Mystic Shot benefits from life steal, so get Vampirism
As i said in the "runes" section, getting that passive up late game increases your Damage incredibly. The Cooldown reduction on Sorcery helps this.
Last, there is Arcane Knowledge . What you are asking is why get magic penetration with AD Ezreal? The answer is that every single one of your abilities besides Mystic Shot deals magic damage. With that little extra bit of magic penetration, your Trueshot Barrage will devastate the enemy before a teamfight even starts, giving you five stacks of Rising Spell Force right off the bat. The magic pen working with Essence Flux and Arcane Shift is just icing on the cake.
Excellent Summoner Spells
Another of my personal favorites, a hard counter to that pesky assassin that manages to slip by your team and tries to 1v1 you. Just Exhaust though his burst and destroy him with your combo.
This is great too. Someone trying to get away with that sliver of health left and your ult is down? just Ignite and watch him rage. The reason i don't choose this is just personal preference. If you like using it over ignite, suit yourself.
Never Get on Ezreal!
Everything else... Just don't. Flash, Exhaust and Ignite are all way too good to not get 2 out of the 3.
The ability sequence is self explanatory. You are an AD Ezreal so Mystic Shot is your priority as it scales great off of attack damage. Arcane Shift is what makes you so amazing at positioning and escaping, you need to max this second. Essence Flux is almost never used on AD Ezreal. The only reason i suggest getting a point into it early is because it really helps when pushing a tower with an ally, to give him a great attack speed buff. It is also pretty important to get against an attack speed heavy enemy as it reduces their attack speed substantially.
When going in for the kill, either position yourself to hit with or if you are absolutely sure you wont need it to get away, to a spot with a clear line of sight for Mystic Shot. If mana permits, use to severely slow their attack speed and then hammer them with Mystic Shot and your auto attacks.
can be used as both an initiator (to get Rising Spell Force up to 5 stacks before the fight starts), or to pick off low health runners. trushot barrage has a cast time of about 1 second so as a point of reference, it takes about 6 seconds for the barrage to get from bot lane to mid lane (cast time included).Hide in the bush once you hit level 6 and ult them in the face. At early levels, Trueshot Barrage does HUGE damage and you can then proceed to Arcane Shift out of the bush and kill at least one of them.
Tips, Tricks and Buffs
- By aiming Mystic Shot into a bush, you can check for hidden units by whether you get a stack of Rising Spell Force or not.
- Remember that Mystic Shot reduces cooldowns on all your spells (even mystic shot itself), so spamming it is an easy way to get your Trueshot Barrage up faster.
- Mystic Shot CANNOT go through minions and CANNOT critically strike. The crit in this build is for your auto attacks.
- Mystic Shot CAN hit stealthed units.
- Does not hit minions.
- You CAN get stacks of Rising Spell Force by hitting allies with it, therefore buffing their attack speed.
- Essence Flux slows enemy attack speed significantly. Using it on champions such as xin shao and Vayne can cripple a team.
- You can blink through almost every single wall in the game. If Arcane Shift is targeting a spot more than half way through the wall, he immediately blinks completely to the other side.
- Arcane Shift can be used both offensively and defensively. Offensively, it can be used to position your Mystic Shot so nothing is in the way. Defensively, obviously, it can be used as an escape.
- Trueshot Barrage has a map-wide range.
- It diminishes in power with each enemy hit.
- Trueshot Barrage CANNOT be cancelled even though it has a casting time.
- Trueshot Barrage grants vision in flight.
- Casting it into an enemy team is a great way to get max stacks of Rising Spell Force.
Ezreal is great with both Blessing of the Lizard Elder and Crest of the Ancient Golem .
Since Blessing of the Lizard Elder is typically saved for AD carries (such as yourself), it should be no problem to pick up. Remember that Mystic Shot applies on-hit effects, so it works with the buff.
Crest of the Ancient Golem is a bit harder to get, since your AP carry has dibs. Don't be fooled though, Crest of the Ancient Golem is just as awesome on you. What will it do? Blue buff will not only solve your early chronic mana problems, but it will let you Mystic Shot spam even more!... Now because of Mystic Shot's passive, that translates into roughly a 30 second cooldown Trueshot Barrage if you Q-spam enough. Plain and simple, killing the double-buffed enemy jungler is a god send. May your laning enemies quiver in fear!
- Great starting item for any AD Carry. Lifesteal, Damage, Health, its all great.
berzerker's greaves- Gives some decent attack speed early on and is VERY cheap compared to all over boots. If the enemy team is CC heavy, however, mercury treads are a great buy as well.
- Get it soon and you will start to see how much you actually hurt.
- When paired with the attack speed and critical strike of your Phantom Dancer, you will destroy.
- To be paired with Infinity Edge. My philosophy is always buy one with the other. They synergize so well with each other and with the added on attack speed from Rising Spell Force you just attack (and therefore crit) that much more. So many people underestimate the power of this combination just because they believe Ezreal is supposed to be built with a Trinity Force. (more details in the section below)
- Your Mystic Shot procs lifesteal. This is a great item on Ezreal. If you feel like you need the extra lifesteal, you can build your Vampiric Scepter into a The Bloodthirster before you build Infinity Edge/ Phantom Dancer.
- With your masteries, this provides all the armor penetration you will need. It is a great/cheap little item for what it does.
- This is the tank killing item. I have found myself in a lot of games recently where half the team is tanky DPS, and this just shreds them to bits.
- This item is ok for the beginner Ezreal who doesn't know proper mana management quite yet. In order for this to be really effective though you need to build it ASAP. The reason i don't build this is because it is pretty bad late game and takes away gold that could be spent building another The Bloodthirster or something.
- You have Last Whisper for your armor penetration. If you prefer black cleaver, so be it. This trades price and armor penetration for armor reduction and attack damage. For runes, i decided to go with flat attack damage over armor pen so this item just doesn't do enough in terms of dealing with high armor targets.
- In my opinion, best single defensive item in the game for AD carries. It gives decent health, mana and a nice shield if you happen to get caught out of position and hit by some crowd control.
- Good defensive item if you are getting focused by a lot of CC.
- *Sigh* if you must as a last item. The money spent in it really is best spent elsewhere though. you will get more damage out of a The Bloodthirster. Sometimes, though, it really is fun when you are dominating late game to get one of these for kiting and to make your [[mystic shot] hurt like a b*tch. The choice you have to make is Damage vs. Utility.
Why no Triforce?
I have contemplated this problem for a long, long time. Is Trinity Force worth it?
I finally decided no, its not. So many people complain that Ezreal sucks because he falls off hard late game. This isn't because of the champion, its because people don't build him for late game damage, which i think is the mark of a true AD carry. I came across a post on the forums by LZ06 and i think no one can explain it better than him:
"A few facts...
-The bonus damage from Sheen is based off of Ezreal's base AD, NOT his total AD.
-Mystic Shot procs the Sheen buff, which buffs the next physical attack Ezreal makes
-If Mystic Shot is cast and hits its target, the cast procs the Sheen buff and the buff is applied to the damage dealt by Sheen.
-The ability power means even less to AD Ezreal now that Trueshot Barrage scales off of his bonus AD
So, your 1260 gold is going into the 60-110 (depending on where you are in the game) bonus physical damage your Mystic Shot deals every few seconds.
Suppose this 60-110 bonus physical damage is worth spending the gold on... does this mean you are hitting your intended target that often with the Sheen proc? What about team fights? If you're getting more than one successful Mystic Shot hit on their carries or support or whatever, then their tank isn't doing its job. Mystic Shot can be tanked. Auto attacks can not.
But is it really worth it? Even if you COULD hit your intended target every time? Well, how much gold does AD really cost? If you look to the most efficient AD item (b.f. sword) it costs approximately 37 gold per 1 point of AD. 1260 gold is worth approximately 34 AD on this scale. (Also, not purchasing Sheen will allow you one of your more primary items 1260 gold sooner. Bloodthirster, Black Cleaver, whatever tickles your fancy...)
What if you could have that 34 AD instead? (obviously, you can't buy AD by the point. But 590 gold is not a long way to go for a b.f. sword, and if you're building IE or LW that means you could have a pickaxe, and have that damage even sooner) With Ezreal's passive, he has a pretty decent attack speed.
Even without that, let's say that, in a team fight, Ezreal can get 3 auto attacks off for every one Mystic Shot...
-3 auto attacks and 1 Mystic Shot with 34 more AD: 134 bonus damage
-3 auto attacks (no bonus damage from gold spent on Sheen) and 1 Mystic Shot with Sheen proc: 110(+/-) bonus damage at level 18
pretty close call, but already in straight AD's favor...
Mystic Shot can be tanked. Auto attacks can not.
So you get a similar amount of bonus damage (under ideal circumstances for Sheen), but one of them is certain... relying on a Sheen proc hitting the target you need it to (as in, not the tanky or a minion) seems pretty illogical to me...
1260 is not an insignificant amount of gold and is going to slow you down in your long term goal of buying items that really boost your damage output."-(LZ06)
Simply put, for the damage, your gold is better spend investing in late game damage items. Triforce is just a step in the wrong direction; it is a utility item while your main focus is damage.
I cannot stress this enough for all those who down vote me because i don't use Trinity Force, so listen carefully. Ezreal IS AN AD CARRY, THIS MEANS HIS ROLE IS TO DO DAMAGE. YES HE CAN USE ALL THE ASPECTS OF A TRINITY FORCE, BUT IT IS A STEP IN THE WRONG DIRECTION BECAUSE HE NEEDS DAMAGE OVER UTILITY. ANY way you look at it, you get more damage by spending the money that would go into Trinity Force into something else. Build Trinity Force, and lose valuable auto attack damage which SCALES MUCH BETTER as the game progresses. The numbers speak for themselves. If you prefer Trinity Force, that's your choice but Ezreal's with this build will always out damage you when it comes down to it; don't troll me for it.
Smart Casting is practically made for Ezreal. It seperates the godly Ezreal players from the decent ones. USE IT!!
Ok time to start QQing the enemy lane to death. Grab a Doran's Blade and head to bot lane (the current meta is Ranged AD with a support champion bottom lane). Ezreal has one of the best early games out of any Ranged AD for one reason: Mystic Shot.
Because of no Trinity Force, Mystic Shot wont deal as much damage mid-late game but no need to worry, the extra 15 AD from the runes will still make it hit like a truck. Be careful though, you are very mana dependent! If you arent careful you will run out of mana before the 5 minute mark easily. Learn to use Mystic Shot intelligently: if you are behindand the enemy lane is very aggressive, use it to last hit if needed; if you are dominating the lane, NEVER use your mystic shot to last hit. You should be good enough to last hit most of them with auto attacks, and the 15 AD from runes makes it even easier. If you are dominating, that means that you are zoning the hell out of the enemy team. You should be close enough to the enemies minions to be able to last hit them with auto attacks.
Here is a screenshot showing proper placement while laning if the enemy isn't too aggressive:A ward is very important in the river to protect from ganks.
Save your Mystic Shot to poke champions to death so that when you get to level 6, you can Trueshot Barrage them in the face for a kill.
Mid game is where the fun really begins. By this time you should have an Infinity Edge and a Phantom Dancer so you will be doing tons of damage! If everyone else has started roaming around, ganking out of position players, go ahead and join them. If, however, the lanes are still intact, just sit tight and farm until late game, where your damage truly shines. Don't worry about Ezreal's supposed "damage drop-off late game", with this build, you will not have to worry about any loss of damage.
Gankingis very easy with Ezreal. Arcane Shift into position behind but slightly to the side of the enemy, and hammer away with Mystic Shot and auto attacks.
Dont forget that you can use walls to your advantage*In this screenshot, Leona and Miss Fortune are hammering away at the tower while i wait behind the wall for an ally to come down the lane. By using your Arcane Shift to get over the wall, you can catch enemies by surprise and quickly change the tide of the battle. In this case, Arcane Shift at the starred location so be able to block them from retreating both down the lane and through the jungle.
You will be able to do so much damage, they wont have a chance to get very far; if they do, just Arcane Shift and Mystic Shot to pick them off. The range on your Arcane Shift Mystic Shot combo will pick off runners with ease, feeding you more and more.Be aware that even if you don't have your Trueshot Barrage, you can snipe kills from far away. Use your Arcane Shift as a gap closer, and use Mystic Shot to pick off the kill. The range on this combo is insane!
Late Game/Team Fighting
Now at this point, you did not build Trinity Force so you will be doing crazy damage. Your role in team fights is simple: Stay out of the way and do as much damage as possible. Arcane Shift is your best friend when doing this since it can be used to both escape and re-position. Enemy melee AD barging through your team toward you? no problem! just Arcane Shift over a wall and keep Mystic Shotting over the wall. If the team fight is particularly dangerous, why bother even going in when you can just sit behind a wall and Q spam until they are low! When the enemy team is low enough, just Arcane Shift into the fray and start bursting everyone down.
- The decision you have to make: to save or not to save.
- When Saving- You can easily pick off runners of those who choose to recall in an obvious spot.
- When Not Saving- You can blow it right through their team for a nice chunk of damage and to get your Rising Spell Force up to 5 stacks. (this is the best option for those *close call* team fights)
So many people build utility on Ezreal, that hardly anyone knows what he can be truly capable of. It really is sad to see that he has such a bad reputation, but don't listen to anyone. The truth is, he is so powerful if built for damage like any other AD carry, and he is also so much fun to play. Because he is entirely skillshot based, he is VERY hard to play well however; but if you can take the time to master him, it is well worth it. Good luck everyone and most importantly, have fun :)
Hoped you enjoyed the guide, please rate and comment! :)
Screenshots coming soon*
Special thanks to jhoijhoi; your how to build is awesome :)
Thanks to LZ06 also, love the numbers