Build Guide by LightningArcher
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
This is my first guide. I will try me best to help you learn the basics of Gangplank, The Saltwater Scourge. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Pros / Cons
- AD carry
- AD 'caster'
- strong late game
- escape skills
- global ultimate
- weak early game
- item dependent
- glass cannon
- ultimate is hit or miss (damage)
Quints - Greater Quintessence of Critical Damage
Reds - Greater Mark of Critical Damage
Critical strike damage allows Gangplank to more easily kill champions late game.
Yellows- Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration
Mana regeneration allows Gangplank to spam your Parrrley.I like per level over flat because the cost of Gangplank's spells early is tolerable.
Blues - Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction
Cooldown Reduction allows Gangplank to spam his Parrrley more frequently as it is his main source of damage.
Offence - 21 points in offence. Gangplank is a damage dealer. Gives critical strike chance, bonus damage, bonus critical strike damage, and just overall bonus to damage output.
Defense - 9 points in defense. Gangplank is a squishy champion, free armor and magic resistance always helps. Also health regeneration is nice.
**If taking a solo lane, I would recommend 21/0/9 with points into the utility tree under awareness and utility mastery**
Flash - This is a nice summoner spell because you can use it offensively to get that last Parrrley off that you needed in order to kill someone. Also this is a great escape tool combined with Remove Scurvy.
Ignite - I like to use ignite because Gangplank is an offensive champion who thrives off of gold and items. More damage should equal more kills. Also helps early as Parrrley does not have all of the items to hit extremely hard yet.
Cannon Barrage (R) > Parrrley (Q) > Remove Scurvy (W) > Raise Morale (E)
Cannon Barrage (R) - Global ultimate, slows and damages targets in a large circle, allows Gangplank to help lanes or gank from anywhere. Awesome in team fights.
Parrrley (Q) - Gangplank's main source of damage. SPAM THIS! He recieves bonus gold from last hitting with this. Last hitting is a necessity because Gangplank is so item dependent. Parrrley receives on hit effects such as Frozen Mallet slow and red lizard buff's damage over time and slow.
Remove Scurvy (W) - Essentially like having Heal and Cleanse on a way faster cooldown. Use when you are stunned, slowed, snared, or just in a tight situation.
Raise Morale (E) - Gives passive damage and movement speed to Gangplank. Upon activation gives yourself and allied champions additional movement speed and damage. The area of effect for this skill is a large circle around Gangplank. It can aid your allies from a good distance away from your champion. Although this move no longer denies a minion and people think this is a nerf to Gangplank, I see it as a buff because now he can use it anywhere at anytime. Plus the stats are just way better now.
Start of game
This allows Gangplank to spam Parrrley and stay in lane for a while.
First time back
This allows Gangplank to spam Parrrley, stay in lane longer due to health regen, and gives bonus gold.
Rest of game
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity - Cooldown reduction for Parrrley spamming.
- Youmuu's Ghostblade - Everything Gangplank wants, critical strike chance, cooldown reduction, damage, armor penetration, and an active which grants attack and movement speed.
- Infinity Edge - Huge damage, Critical strike chance for Parrrley, bonus damage on critical strikes for better Parrrley.
- Phantom Dancer - Critical strike chance for Parrrley, and movement speed for mobility.
- Frozen Mallet - Parrrley gets slow proc, survivability, little damage.
- The Bloodthirster - Parrrley gets lifesteal, huge damage.
This is just a generic list of items which work really well with Gangplank. Keep in mind that every game is different and different items maybe be needed in different orders.
- Sword of the Occult - Gangplank is dominating early game and want more damage faster.
- Guardian Angel - Need more survivability.
- Banshee's Veil - If Remove Scurvy is not enough, the other team has a lot of crowd control.
- The Black Cleaver - If the other team is building armor.
- Atma's Impaler - If you need survivability and more critical strike chance.
- Warmog's Armor - I only recommend getting this if you have an Atma's Impaler as it combos really well giving damage and survivability.
- Second Infinity Edge - "Noob why you get 2 IE **insert more rage here**" Although you don't get the bonus damage to critical strike again, you do get a lot of damage and a great percentage added to your critical strike chance. This is a great choice for a 5th or 6th item.
- Second Phantom Dancer - Gangplank is dominating and want more critical chance and movement speed.
- Second The Bloodthirster - You want more damage and lifesteal.
Here are just a few of the items I would recommend getting depending on the different in game situations you might encounter.
Before the game starts
You need to realize that Gangplank is not a killing machine early game. I am not saying that it cannot happen, but you just should not expect it. Also another note, Gangplank can solo or duo. He is now strong in a duo lane due to the changes with Raise Morale not denying a minion.
In the lane
Last hitting minions with Parrrley is essential if you want to be a threat late game. Hit enemy champions every now and then just to scare them a bit. Realize that even if you are trading minions 1 for 1, Gangplank is getting more gold because of the Parrrley gold bonus. Also once you hit level 6 try to keep an eye out for places to use Cannon Barrage that could benefit your team.
This is where you should shine. After farming up several items your Parrrley should hit for a good chunk of health and easily be able to kill other squishy champions. Try to stay behind your tanks and other melee because Parrrley has a decent range and being a glass cannon can cause you to die quickly in team fights. Also keep in mind that Raise Morale can now be used anywhere on the map regardless if a minion or ward is nearby. Use this to give your team an edge in team fights. If possible try to get the red lizard buff for the on hit slow for Parrrley and the blue golem buff because after you sell your 2 x Philosopher's Stone mana may become an issue, plus your cooldown reduction should be at 40% with it.