Twitch Build Guide by EvilSquirelKing
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
example final build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
The entire hope and purpose behind this guides existence is to impart my knowledge of this champion into aspiring twitch players. My goal is to not only to better other players with this guide, but also to better myself as I learn from teaching others, and constructive feedback through comments. I hope you find this guide useful, and if you do not, or think it unsatisfactory for the purpose that is serves, that you help me in bettering it through feedback. If you plan to vote, I implore you to give feedback, regardless of which direction the vote is in. That is all.
Thank you and have a nice day!
**NOTICE** Build to be archived
hey guys! im gonna be archiving this build in a couple days. I feel as if my knowledge of this champ and actually the game in general really isn't extensive enough to be running a guide. Maybe sometime from now if I feel prepared ill give this another shot. anyways to all who did give me feedback thanks so much you actually taught me a lot about this champ haha
thank you and have a nice day
Pros n Cons n Stuff
- Twitch is an ADC that counters some current popular ADCs such as Ezreal and Vayne.
- You'll be kinda avant-garde as twitch is the 10th most played ADC and 43rd most played champ.. so kinda.
- Twitch is a great finisher between Deadly Venom and expunge.
- Twitch scales decent and isn't really horrible in early, mid, or late game.
- Twitch brings a nearly dead art to the battlefield, stealth that lasts longer than 3 seconds.
- Using ambush and venom cask, escaping and chasing can be done with ease.
- Ultimate combines really well with hard cc like or .
- Really easy to farm with your passive.
- Make ganking junglers qq with your q. (see what I did there)
- It's fun being a rat.
- Is really squishy, just like most ADCs.
- Twitch scales decent and isn't really fantastic in early, mid, or late game.
- Gets cc'ed and focused to the ground if you don't play carefully.
- No quick escape, as ambush takes 3 seconds to activate if you are taking damage.
- Pretty average attack range without ult activated. (550)
- Team fighting power mostly comes from spray and pray.
Master of Masteries
- Spell Weaving I love this as twitch. Basic attacks increase spell damage and it stacks, which works great with expunge.
- Devastating Strikes Because it gives some useful late game armor pen.
- Executioner Awesome because it works with expunge and twitches finishing prowess.
- Frenzy The stacking AS works great especially with Spray and Pray.
- Havoc This raw power is really irreplaceable as any carry champ.
The other nine points are mostly for Juggernaut . I find it nice because it helps to cure his squishiness a bit. I am sure there are other viable ways to spend those nine points. This is mostly a preference.
Runey Rune Runes
This is great for early game survivability so you can stay in lane for as long as possible and farm because farming on twitch is **Very Important.**
Great for the early game fights. Also is great for curing squishiness.
Same reason as the armor runes.
just like the life steal runes these are very useful for farming early game as they give you more last hitting power.
Super Summoner Spells
Great for escaping, chasing, ganking. Flash is the Swiss army knife of LoL.
Ignite works really well with twitch's passive making for some pretty painful DoT.
other viable spells:
Works well with his Ambush when chasing or escaping as both grant movement speed.
Helps when you are casting your q absorb that damage before you are stealthed.
This is great for gap closing, but in my opinion, this spell should be left for the support.
The Rat's Smelly Abilities
Deadly Venom works great with Ignite for that little bit extra to finish of the enemy.
Ambush should be leveled second. Twitch's all-purpose utility. Great for ganking, escaping, chasing, (because of the movement speed bonus) and even tower pushing because it gives an attack speed bonus. If you are attacking a tower, go ahead and activate this because in about 1.25 seconds you will get a nice attack speed bonus to help you take it down.
Venom Cask Should be leveled last. Useful for team fights just throw it on everyone and then unleash your ult for lots of fun. Also useful for catching up to an escapee, just throw this on them, auto attack, and expunge and it's a smelly death.
expunge The great finisher. It should be noted for twitch noobs or people that who just didn't know that a big green X will appear over an enemy champions head when they have full stacks of venom on them. This is a good indicator, especially if there health is low, that it's time to E.
Spray and Pray The bulk of your team fighting power. Use this from a good distance to wipe the other team off the map. Well, as long as you're fed and you have some good cc tanks. :P
Also little tid-bit about this spell, its range is longer than a turrets, meaning you can hit a turret with no minion or friendly champs around without it hitting you. Interesting enough however, when this spell is activated you can't hit an inhibitor. :/
Me Nifty Item Choices
I think this item is preferable for any ADC start, with some exceptions. Great sustain and helps with damage. All around winner.
Greaves are in my opinion the best adc boots. Cheaper than the other boots, and give you a nifty little attack speed bonus. Blade of the ruined king is a great first big item because it gives you well rounded adc stats like lifesteal, attack speed, and attack damage.
Infinity edge should be gotten as quickly as possible, bf sword even faster. You simply NEED this item for raw ad, not to mention its great crit benefits.
Phantom dancer is a simply smashing item, giving all the stats an adc needs, and the awesome ability to move through units, which comes in handy.
Late game- Now since we got the core, we can be a bit more choosey. I personally prefer Guardian Angel because of the irreplaceable revive, along with a Last Whisper because armor pen will help to
Here are some other choices though.
This item is very useful on twitch and let me explain why. This item has a neat cleansing active so that if you are slowed you can activate it along with your q for a quick and nifty get away.
If you were to get this it would be mostly for the great raw ad it gives, especially fully stacked.
This baby kicks attack speed and crit chance into high gear. When your q is active, if you have the core and this item, your AS will max out.
This gives some useful tenacity and some cool ADC stats like AS and AD.
This item is great because it gives so much health! Woohoo! It also gives useful health regen. And also this stacks great with Juggernaut ! Party on!
Do you hate really annoying casters like Lux, Ahri, and Malzahar?? Don't worry! I do to. And your best friend for hating casters is none other than this beauty! With top notch health, MR, and a spiffy spell shield, this thing is really cool. Cool beans.
This item will help give some extra defense against AD carries that are really tearing it up. Between the passive and the active can turn down movement speed a nice bit, so unless you are getting hunted down by a diehard Yi that has Highlander on, it will help give you a few seconds to q and escape.
This tidbit here I pretty much do not recommend for ranked at all because it pretty much relies heavily on lots of kills. Try this with some friends in a normal, or for fun in an AI game.
Runaan's Hurricane added with Sword of the Occult is pretty awesome, IF you can easily get a lot of kills. In my opinion, runaan's is a bad item. But it has a small saving grace with twitch because it applies Deadly Venom stacks and therefore means you can hit multiple targets simultaneously with your expunge, which is pretty fun. Sword of the occult gives the low price ad needed to give this thing some power. This is oh so very much just for fun and as already stated is not recommended for ranked.
Counters and Symmetrys
Twitch is weak to:
- Dear lordy lord, how rats hate blind monks! This dude is the living definition of a Twitch counter. Between Sonic Wave and Tempest you get revealed for days, which totally stinks on a stealth reliant champ. If this guys around, or you think he is, STAY WITH YOUR TEAM! 9/10 you can't 1v1 him, unless you're like 30/1 and he's 1/30.
- Ahh man, who doesn't hate this guy? Lives as long as a Rammus and does as much damage as a Master Yi. What do you do? Stay back and let your team cc this guy. Damage him, but don't focus him because he's probably gonna ult and that's gonna waste precious time.
- Leona can hard cc twitch in early game, which is definitely no bueno, and if their Leona and adc have even the slightest idea as to how to communicate, they will probably take you down. Do not focus Leona. Let me say that again. **DO NOT FOCUS LEONA.** It is almost never wise to focus a supp, especially in lane. Let your tank distract Leona while you take down the mothership. (their adc)
- Will outrange and outpoke you in lane and, when combined with a good support, will smoke you. Play cautiously. It would probably be wise to wait for when your jungle comes down to visit before you initiate seriously.
- Same story as Caitlyn, has poke for days. Just wait for your jungler before you try any shenanigans.
champions that rats LOLStomp:
- Make little boys cry with your stinky rat! Unless your opp. is seriously skilled and lands every single one of his skill shots always, you will be fine against him.
- Sivir has a spellshield. Sivir thinks she's cool. Twitch has a spell that can pop her shield for 35 damage expunge allowing the support to go to town. Sivir no longer thinks she's cool.
- Oh you can stealth for .3 seconds while you roll around? That's cute. Twitch can stealth for 4 seconds without leveling at all . Also, twitch can slow vayne before she tries to roll away with Venom Cask and by this time you probably have enough stacks to expunge and Ignite combo her to her grave. Vayne may hunt ne'er-do-gooders, but rats hunt vaynes!
twitch works great with:
- Twitch and taric make for a pretty epic combo. Taric's spells compliment twitch's kit quite nicely. Taric can open with his combo that stuns the enemy and empowers you if he has his ult Radiance allowing you to activate your ult and open a big can of whoop butt on the enemy bot lane.
- Kinda permabanned, but if he ends up as your support you're in luck. Thresh has a great list of spells that help you immensely. The biggest part is his ult The Box which confines the other team in, allowing you to unleash Spray and Pray on the super cc'd opposition.
- Leona is really useful as a twitch support because of all the cc! And cc makes twitch happy! Dashes with her blade and stuns allowing you some time to get some Deadly Venom stacks on the enemy. Her ult is great thought because it can cc multiple targets allowing you to own them with your ult! Cool beans!
- Oh man when I see that this dude is on my team and i'm playing as twitch I just start to have a party! Literally! Jarvan can contain enemies using his super cool and nifty ult Cataclysm allowing you to combo it up! Unleash w, r, auto, e combo on the poor souls stuck in there and watch as they drop like flies! J4 and rats were made for each other. <3
Early game: Early game Twitch has another name: that name is Farmer Joe. Not really, but seriously your job at this point is to farm farm farm. I would stick with just farming passively, but get aggressive in these two situations: the enemy is over extended and your jungler comes to pay a visit, or your super high in cc support (i.e. Leona, Taric, Thresh, etc.) is ready for a solid engage with an ult or exhaust. If you do engage, kill that rotten ADC with full stacks of Deadly Venom E expunge and an ignite for good measure. If you play it right, you will most likely emerge with secure kill. If things turn sour and you or your support give away a couple kills, start playing passive immediately. To make the same mistake once or twice is learning, but over and over again is ignorance.
Mid Game: If you got their turret great, keep farming. If you lost your turret great, keep farming. Keep farming until you are absolutely sick of farming. If you notice the other team's bot is starting to roam however, make sure you call mias or you will get some angry teammates. Mid game is kind of situational. If you are winning in kills, are adequately farmed, and have good lane push, you can probably start drifting mid to help your teammates with the teamfights that are probably starting to brew. If you are losing and things are not going so good, continue to farm and play passive. But if you ever played old school Zelda you should know it's dangerous to go alone. Stay with either your support, a tanky buddy, or a turret. Know your limitations. If you have to question whether it is a good idea to chase or not, it is not. Start asking if you can have red buff because red buff synergizes oh so very well with twitch. Play smart and focus on your objective, not getting kills.
Late game: Late game Twitch will become one of two things. One: A piece of glass so fragile you can break it with your pinky. Two: an ultra mega super OP death machine of death. And the difference between these two is a few simple factors. How well you built Twitch is obviously important, along with farm, kills, push and overall early game performance. However the biggest factor is performance/skill/smarts. I am starting to believe more and more that the game is decided in late game by smart players who work with other smart players and collectively make smart decisions. The smart way to play Twitch at this point is to STAY WITH YOUR TEAM. Do not go on a wild escapade to chase the Singed with 200 health. Do not go try to 1v1 half health Jax. Stay with your team. Work with your team. Stay behind the tank and damage from afar with your ult. Last hit with your E. Focus squishys first. Focus on the objective and win the game.
Bonus: A neat little trick I learned with twitch is, if you are being chased, activate your q. Whilst you are still visible in those couple second before you turn invisible, continue running in one direction. Once you are invisible, run in the other direction. Likely they will continue in the same direction, assuming that you did as well. Now is your chance to B to safety. Works 80% of the time :P.
Proof Of Success
If you are reluctant to believe that this build works, i'm going to start posting images of its performance here. If you have used my build, and you were successful in doing so, feel free to drop a pic in the comments. I will most likely add it to this section!
These are my lolking stats for twitch as of 12/21/13. Not too shabby, eh?
This one's kinda just for fun, proof that twitch can even win in 1v1. :P I won this game in 1:15, waited in the bush with an elixir of fortitude and some health pots, ignite, exhaust and AA it was over before it began. :P
In Smelly Conclusion
Twitch is a really fun champion that isn't hard to master and can carry pretty hard if fed. I have lots of fun being a rat and I hope you will as well.
Comments both nice and full of criticism are fully welcomed!
Good luck Have fun and see you on the Fields of Justice!
btw you still smell terrible.
12/17/13- This guide was published to Mobafire.
12/19/13- This guide underwent some extensive changes.
12/21/13- Hey this guide hit a 1000 views! It's a start!
1/4/13- Hey this guide hit 2k views! movin on up.
1/4/13- Now that the holidays are over, some big updates are in the oven this guide, including a tactical section! Check back often for new material!
1/8/13- Updates complete and published!
Twitch Change Log
◾ Expunge: ◾ Base damage reduced to 20/35/50/65/80 from 40/50/60/70/80.
◾ Deadly Venom: ◾ Now has a new particle for maximum stacks.
◾ Ambush: ◾ Tooltip now describes the correct behavior in regards to delay before entering invisibility.
◾ Expunge: ◾ Base damage increased to 40/50/60/70/80 from 20/35/50/65/80.
◾ Mana cost reduced to 50/60/70/80/90 from 70/75/80/85/90.
◾ Spray and Pray: ◾ Reduced cast frame to make his attacks more responsive.
◾ General ◾ Base Attack Damage increased to 52 from 50.
◾ Venom Cask: ◾ Missile Speed increased to 1400 from 1300.
Largest Twitch update
◾ Stats: ◾ Attack range increased to 550 from 500.
◾ Base health increased to 389 from 356.
◾ Health per level increased to 81 from 78.
◾ Base mana increased to 220 from 180.
◾ Mana per level increased to 40 from 35.
◾ Base attack damage reduced to 47 from 51.56.
◾ Attack damage per level reduced to 3 from 3.3.
◾ Attack animation improved.
◾ Poison passive changed to venom no longer effects Cassiopeia twin fang ability, no longer effected by cleanse.
◾ Deadly Venom: ◾ Damage reduced to 2/4/6/8 per stack from 2.5/5/7.5/10.
◾ Ambush: ◾ 60 mana cost. 16 second cooldown.
◾ After 1.25 seconds, Twitch becomes invisible for 4/5/6/7/8 seconds and gains 20% movement speed. Twitch gains 30/40/50/60/70% attack speed for 5 seconds after revealing himself.
Replacement for Debilitating Poison.
◾ Venom Cask: ◾ 50 mana cost. 13/12/11/10/9 second cooldown.
◾ Twitch hurls a cask full of venom to target area that slows targets by 25/30/35/40/45% for 3 seconds and adds 2 stacks of Deadly Venom.
◾ Expunge: ◾ 70/75/80/85/90 mana cost. 12/11/10/9/8 second cooldown.
◾ Deals 20/35/50/65/80 plus 15/20/25/30/35 (+0.2 per ability power) (+0.25 per bonus attack damage) per stack of Deadly Venom as physical damage to all nearby enemies affected by Deadly Venom.
◾ No longer removes Deadly Venom stacks.
◾ Spray and Pray: ◾ 100/125/150 mana cost. 120/110/100 second cooldown.
◾ Twitch's basic attacks become powerful piercing bolts with 300 bonus range, and Twitch gains 20/28/36 attack damage. Each bolt deals 20% less damage to subsequent targets down to a minimum of 40% damage. Lasts 7 seconds.
◾ Animations changed.
◾Classic skin splash art has been updated.
◾ Base attack range increased to 500 from 475.
◾ Ambush: ◾ Duration reduced to 10/20/30/40/50 from 20/30/40/50/60.
◾ Attack speed bonus now reaches its maximum duration twice as fast.
◾ Spray and Pray: ◾ Now increases Twitch's attack damage by 15/25/35 instead of providing 30/45/60% Attack Speed.
◾ Now fires a maximum of 5/6/7 shots.
◾ Duration increased to 12 seconds from 6.
◾ Base movespeed reduced to 305 from 310.
◾ Spray and Pray: duration reduced to 6 seconds from 7.
◾ Debilitating Poison: slow duration reduced to 2/2.6/3.2/3.8/4.4 seconds from 2.5/3.25/4/4.75/5.25.
◾ Spray and Pray: attack speed reduced to 30/45/60%, from 40/60/80%.
◾ Ambush: attack speed max bonus reduced to 30/40/50/60/70% from 30/45/60/80/100%.
◾ Debilitating Poison now has a range indicator.
◾ Expunge now has a range indicator.
◾ Deadly Venom: duration reduced to 6 from 8.
◾ Ambush: ◾ The first attack after breaking stealth will now benefit from the bonus attack speed.
◾ It will now provide its attack speed bonus if you break stealth by casting a spell.
◾ Spray and Pray: buff no longer incorrectly states that he does reduced damage for the duration.
◾ Ambush: stealth is now removed when you actually attack, rather than when you begin your attack animation.
◾ Base magic resistance increased to 30 from 25.
◾ Fixed Ambush's tool-tip to show the correct attack speed buff value.
◾ Debilitating Poison now slows for 30% + 6% per Deadly Venom stack from 20% + 10% per stack.
◾ Spray and Pray: ◾ Missile range reduced to 1100 from 1300
◾ Bonus range reduced to 375 from 525.
◾ Spray and Pray: ◾ Cooldown increased to 105/90/75 from 90/75/60.
◾ Attack speed bonus reduced to 40/60/80% from 60/100/140%.
◾ Twitch has new updated particles.
◾Added listing as an Assassin, removed listing as a Fighter.
◾Increased Acquisition Range from 475 to 600.
◾ Spray and Pray: ◾Increased Projectile Speed from 1600 to 2800.
◾Updated Tooltip to properly state that all targets take 100% damage.
◾Made Spray and Pray more accurate.
◾Increased Width from 50 to 60.
◾ Ambush no longer costs mana to turn off.
◾Increased Base Damage from 50.9 to 52.4
◾ Ambush: ◾Increased Attack Speed% from 20/40/60/80/100 to 30/45/60/80/100.
◾Increased Stealth time from 12/18/24/30/36 to 20/30/40/50/60.
◾ Debilitating Poison Duration increased from 2.25/3/3.75/4.5/5.25 to 2.5/3.25/4/4.75/5.25
◾ Spray and Pray now does full damage to all targets that get hit.
◾ Reduced base attack range from 500 to 475.
June 26, 2009 Patch:
◾ Ambush 30% self slow removed.
June 12, 2009 Patch:
◾ Ambush: stealth can only be delayed by a maximum of 5 seconds.
◾ Full Automatic: now deals 100% to the first target it hits (and 70% to all others).
June 6, 2009 Patch:
◾ Spray and Pray: projectile speed increased to 1600 from 1400.
May 29, 2009 Patch:
◾ Spray and Pray: projectile speed increased to 1400 from 1200.
May 15, 2009 Patch:
◾ Ambush: slow reduced to 30% from 35%.
May 9, 2009 Patch:
◾ Ambush: ◾ Stealth cooldown increased to 11 from 10.
◾ Fixed a Bug with Ambush where the fade into stealth time was too long.
◾ Stealthed characters will now have their fade timer reset when they take damage.
◾ Deadly Poison (old name for Deadly Venom): poison damage reduced to 2/4/6/8 from 3/5/7.
◾ Fixed a Bug where Debilitating Poison's slow debuff was not properly getting removed by Highlander.
◾ Expunge: range reduced.
◾ Spray and Pray: ◾ Hit particle improved.
◾ Projectile speed increased.
◾ Collision size for spray and pray missiles increased to 40 from 25.
◾ No longer procs on hit item effects.
◾ Updated selection size and pathfinding radius.
◾ Improved Twitch's ability to chase champions.
May 1, 2009 Patch: Added