Kayle Build Guide by TheOchremancer
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello. My name is TheOchremancer, and this is my guide to full support Kayle. Before I begin, please remember not to downvote for no reason. Please leave an intelligent comment.
Ahh, Kayle. A lot of people think Kayle is a rather underpowered support. That is not true. Kayle can be a very powerful aggresive support. She works best when paired with a strong early game champion such as Vayne. Her Divine Blessing is an amazing chase or heal spell, and her R, Intervention allows for powerful and frequent tower dives.
Pros / Cons
I prefer a 0/9/21 mastery page on Kayle. I take the 21 points in utility because Kayle is ridiculously mana hungry. I find, that without the 21 in utility I am OOM before we hit three minutes. The four in Greed and the four in Awareness are important because you will not be last hitting any minions, so you need the bonus gold and experience. I take the 9 in Defense because you will not be a major damage dealer anyway, so it is better to get the defensive capabilities. Remember, without you your lane partner is effectively dead. The MOST IMPORTANT masteries are Expanded Mind , Meditation , Greed and Awareness .
My usual runes on Kayle are Greater Mark of Replenishment, Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration, Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power and Greater Quintessence of Gold. I take the Greater Mark of Replenishment because, as previously stated, Kayle eats mana like a fat kid at a pie eating contest. Same goes for the Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration. I take Greater Glyph of sheilding because most bot lanes will be AD based on the damage and this will give you a little more survivability. I take the Greater Quitessence of Avarice because the GP10 is ridiculously helpful on a support.
: Flash is pretty much a guarantee on any champion. Great for chasing, great for escapes. Take Ghost if you want, but Flash is just better.
: Clairvoyance is probably the support spell. It allows for great map awareness and generally gives a large advantage in your games.
: Ghost can be substituted for Flash, but I think Flash is better, because Ghost can be countered with CC.
:Knowing Kayle's mana issues, this may be a good choice for newer Kayle players. I really think the runes and items in this build allow for a more useful spell to take this slot.
: Heal can be very useful as a panic button, but if your partner is competent, this shouldn't be a partner. I would take this, though, if they have a ward jumping jungler, such as Shaco or Nocturne. It can turn a 3v2 gank into 2 kills if they dive to far, and an escape otherwise.
DO NOT TAKE:
You are not a jungler. Please do not take this.
I really don't find this to be a good spell. It doesn't help with pushing much, it just gives a really big siege minion.
We want to max our heal ( Divine Blessing)first. Definently. You are support. The we want to max our AP nuke and CC move( Reckoning). Finally, we want to max our AoE range extension( Righteous Fury). Of course take your ulti( Intervention) at level 6, 11 ,and 16.
Holy Fervor: Kayle's passive is kind of meh. Early game the armor shred helps with harass, but late game it is almost unnoticeable.
Reckoning: Reckoning is a slow and damage spell, with a damage amplifier aftereffect. This is your only CC move, and so you should be using it to ensure a kill or gank for your carry.
You're going to want to max out Reckoning before Righteous Fury and after Divine Blessing.
- Righteous Fury has a longer range than Reckoning, so use Reckoning first to make targeting and following easier.
- Combining Reckoning with Righteous Fury helps your DPS a lot.
- The slow isn't gigantic, and the casting animation takes a bit, so don't try using it to escape a gank. It is more useful as your first move on an unaware enemy, or your last on an escaping one.
Divine Blessing: Divine Blessing is Kayle's bread and butter support skill. We want a lot of CDR and AP so we can spam this skill. Divine Blessing is a very powerful gap closer and an amazing support move.
You're going to want to max out Divine Blessing before Reckoning and Righteous Fury.
- You can use the haste on Divine Blessing independently of the heal, so don't be afraid to use it to initiate.
- Divine Blessing has a low cooldown with this build. Use it often.
- Reckoning and Divine Blessing one after the other almost guarantees a kill or assist.
Righteous Fury: Righteous Fury extends Kayle's attack range by 400 unit, and gives her autoattacks AoE damage.
You're going to want to max out Righteous Furyafter Reckoning and Divine Blessing.
- This is a great pushing and farming move. Watch for groups of low health minions.
- This allows for ranged attacks on turrets.
- Attacking turrets procs the AoE.
Intervention: Intervention is really what makes Kayle viable as a support. It is an amazing tower dive move, initiate, and escape move. It even allow for diving the enemy summoner platform.
You're going to want to max out Intervention whenever possible, like every other champion except Poppy.
- Intervention can be used defensively and offensively. It essentially turns anyone on your team into a tank for 3 seconds. Using it on the carry makes an unstoppable death machine.
- Intervention is a very team-dependent ability. It helps to be in constant communication with your team.
- Intervention is an incredibly powerful spell for use on champions like Nocturne or Rammus because of the dash inherent in those champions. Paranoia plus Intervention is a very strong initiation. Nocturne will absolutely destroy the enemy carry.
- shurelya's reverie:We want shurelya's reverie mainly for the movespeed buff, CDR, and mana regen, and as something for our philosopher's stone to build into.
- : This item has become very viable on support champions after the recent patch, changing Blasting Wand to kage's lucky pick really made this awesome for supports. The grievous wounds active can really help secure a kill as well.
- : These are Kayle boots to the core. Combined with shurelya's reverie and Morello's Evil Tome, these will put you at the CDR cap, 40%. No other pair of boots has as much to offer.
- : This is a very strong item on Kayle. The spell vamp is awesome when combined with Righteous Fury. You have an attack speed of .909%. Will of the Ancients gives 20% spell vamp. Righteous Fury does 60+34(94) magic damage. 20% of 94 is 18. .909% of 18 is 16. Will of the Ancients gives you 16 health per second for every enemy hit by Righteous Fury. That is a whole lot, especially on large minion groups.
- : This is a great support/AP item. I really reccomend this if you are doing well.
- : This is generally a good defensive aura item. I feel this is very powerful when you have quite a couple squishies on your team.
- : Considering Intervention, you should not be dying all that much. If you are, this probably will not help very much.
- : You are not an AP carry. You do not need this much AP.
- : A good alternative to Abyssal Scepter. If you find yourself running out of mana too much feel free to buy this.
- : A good item in general, just not that great on Kayle. You already maxed your CDR, and your health is high enough. If you had to grab a Heart of Gold because you didn't have enough gold, then build it into this.
- : This is a very viable item on Kayle. The slow procs from Righteous Fury, so the AoE slow is very helpful. The stacked slow on Reckoning makes it practically impossible to get away. A very solid item.
- : This is a very viable alternative to Aegis of the Legion. If your teammates are building armor and MR by themselves, get this. It's active is hilarious. Also get this if they have Karthus. Requiem blocked!
Early laning phase is really where Kayle really shines. Her moves push hard early really well, and she outshines even legendary support champions( Taric, Sona) with her heal and slow capabilities allowing for no escape. Post-6, Intervention will almost always cause a kill for your carry, and more lane dominance for your whole team.
There are really three item sequences I use on Kayle. I use:
- Carry Has Bad Poke ( Master Yi): This is less than suboptimal for Kayle, but she can do it. If your carry lacks a poke move, then start with a faerie charm, and rush shurelya's reverie. Buy boots as soon as possible, and then move to Soul Shroud.
- Enemy Jungler Has Bad Ganks( Warwick, Olaf): Usually here I start with the usual build up on the cheat sheet. Mana Manipulator into philosopher's stone into Ionian Boots of Lucidity.
- Enemy Jungler Has Great Ganks( Nocturne, Maokai, Shaco): Here we should start with two Faerie Charms and one sight ward. Buy wards every time you go back to base, one or two at least. Place them in the small brush by the side of the river. If they have Nocturne, there's really nothing you can do but be prepared to run at a moments notice.
Teamfights are a tricky thing for Kayle. You can suck and die, or you can help your team immensely. Below i will detail the uses of each of your moves in teamfights and some general teamfight strategy.
- : This can be useful in teamfights. It does AoE damage, so yay for you. Unfortunately, you will not be spending most of your time autoattacking. You will be casting spells a lot.
- : This is a good teamfight move. You can use it to give your tank an initiate, heal during the teamfight and chase afterwards. Really helpful.
- : This is basically used for chasing after the teamfight and focusng a squishy during a teamfight.
- : This is your teamfight move. With this guide you can bring the cooldown on this to approx. 22 seconds. That means it is conceivable you could cast this three times in one teamfight. Once to initiate, once during the fight to buff a carry, and once afterwards, to tower dive a runner.
Kayle's teamfight capabilities increase the later in the game it gets. With the auras off your items, you give your teammates a major boost. Your job is mostly just to survive a fight. If you are there, you are healing and giving auras. DO NOT BE HEROIC. I cannot emphasize this enough. You are not Superman. I have witnessed Kayles who have ulted on themselves and ran straight at the enemy team without warning their teammates. Do not be Leroy Jenkins. Ever.
Thanks to ItzPadwani for the great Kayle video!
Kayle is just a really underrated champion everyone misunderstands. I implore you to try this build. I guarantee it will work quite well. Also, if you have a problem with my build, tell me why. Don't just go "omg your guide sucks lol XD." I appreciate USEFUL criticism. If you have a Kayle game you'd like to share, just ask. Thank you for your time. Also, thanks to jhoijhoi for her great guide on making guides, Making a Guide.