Kha'Zix Build Guide by Veeto
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello, and welcome to my Kha'Zix guide! This guide is essentially finished. I will be adding pictures and videos to accompany the ideas. I feel that Kha'Zix is much better at jungling than laning, however, there is a laning section.
Kha'Zix is extremely overpowered right now. I do not doubt that he will be nerfed very soon. Either way, I think he is a very entertaining champion to play, and he is now my main champion.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my guide on Kha'Zix and enjoy the high burst damage, jungling, assassin that is The Voidreaver!
Pros / Cons
+ Extremely Overpowered
+ Massive Burst Damage
+ Scary Ganks (LEVEL TWO!)
+ Great Escapes
+ Adaptive Gameplay
+ Good Sustain
- Slow Jungler
- Semi-reliant on Early Kills
- Mana Hungry if Doing Well
- Vulnerable to CC
- Weak Turret Dives Early Game
- Loses Power During Condensed Fights
Pretty basic masteries. Take heavy AD masteries and Summoner's Resolve if you are jungling. If not jungling, then swap the point over for two more armor.
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: Helps with early game damage output. Especially for jungling.
- greater mark of Desolation: Slicing through that last bit of armor an enemy has (tank or squishy) will do much more damage due to how armor damage reduction scales.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: Magic resist isn't that necessary before level 6, so scaling rune will benefit you more than flat ones.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Armor will help with jungling and ganks which are done before level 6. Scaling runes won't help enough with the jungle, so I stick with flat armor.
Smite: THE Jungling Spell
Flash: Useful for jungling build for ganks, escapes, gap-closing, etc.
Exhaust: Useful for laning build to prevent escapes from early kills
Ignite: Usseful for laning build for that little bit of extra damage early or to prevent healing. Could be swapped for Flash while jungling.
- Unseen Threat:
Fighting from the shadows. As soon as the enemy sees you springing from the bush, he should be attempting to flee. The slow from Unseen Threat will keep him close for the massive burst. The bonus damage is a nice addition to accompany their new found cinderblock feet. Kha'Zix's ultimate will activate this for your next attack even if an enemy has a Vision Ward or Oracle's Elixir.
- Taste Their Fear (Q):
Targeted attack for massive damage. Does bonus damage if the target is isolated:
Isolated targets are marked.
If an enemy steps in the isolation circle, that person is no longer isolated.
Minions will remove isolation.
Neutral monsters can be easily isolated for bonus damage when jungling.
- Void Spike (W):
Sustain for jungling. I rank this up first to maintain your health while going through the jungle. With blue buff, you can spam this almost endlessly. Evolving this will help catch people fleeing the fight, extra damage, and triple the heal if you point blank shoot someone. I tend to leave this skill unevolved.
- Leap (E):
Escape or gap-closer. One rank at level 4 to have it. Helps jump into lanes for ganking or escaping from that full health Olaf. Max it last, but evolve it second for the cooldown reset. Multiple kill secures in one fight? Yes please.
- Void Assault (R):
- Evolved Enlarged Claws (Q):
- Evolved Spike Racks (W):
Shoots three spikes instead of one. Also applies Unseen Threat to any enemies struck. Allows for triple healing and massive damage if you shoot an enemy point blank with this.
- Evolved Wings (E):
Increased range to leap farther. Helps when trying to go over walls to escape or gap-close. Also resets on kills or assists. Tremendous help to weave in and out of teamfights picking off isolated targets.
- Evolved Active Camouflage (R):
Allows for a three uses instead of two. Also, it gives 40% damage reduction while stealthed. Helpful if the enemy team has a large amount of AoE damage. Only 1 second of stealth per activation. If timed correctly, it can save you from a lot of damage.
I always evolve Taste Their Fear first. The increased damage and range is just too important to Kha'Zix's burst. The giant claws look pretty badass too.
Next evolution depends on the game. If the enemy team keeps killing me with mostly AoE damage, then I evolve Void Assault. If you cannot time the stealth activation correctly or you are dieing from non-AoE damage, then evolve Void Spike for the super healing.
I usually wait to evolve Leap last since the cooldown reset is very nice for late game. Catching up to the enemies trying to flee the teamfight can be the difference from two enemies dead and an ace. If I don't need healing or damage reduction, I evolve this second.
Rengar Interaction/Fourth Evolution Point
- Rengar and Kha'Zix on opposing teams
- Both must be level 16+ (Possibly 18 - Unconfirmed)
- Kha'Zix must have used all three evolution points
- Rengar must have at least 10 stacks on a Bonetooth Necklace
At some point after these requirements are met, every person in the game will receive a buff icon stating that the next teamfight will have a deeper impact. Rengar receives a buff stating that he needs to kill Kha'Zix to become the ultimate hunter. Kha'Zix receives a buff stating that he needs to kill Rengar to become the ultimate predator.
Assists count for the buff. After either person dies, the buffs for the rest of the team disappear. The victor of the fight (Kha'Zix or Rengar) receive a temporary "Victory!" buff.
If Rengar was victorious, his Bonetooth Necklace is transformed into The Head of Khazix which is equal to a fully stacked BTNL that cannot lose stacks.
If Kha'Zix was victorious, he receives a fourth evolution point!
Kha'Zix can also receive a fourth evolution point if he scores a true Pentakill.
: Don't want to die before blue buff.
: Should be able to buy this first recall. Hopefully you will be able to skip this recall.
: Core build to jungle faster, gank harder, and start making your enemies rage.
: Avarice blade first for some bonus gold. Then a shield to help you survive.
: Build this for the slow and to maintain tankiness starting with Phage.
: Upgrade for increased damage and shield.
: Bloodthirster starting with some bonus lifesteal for end game.
- Mercury Treads Mercury Treads: Obviously swap Ionian Boots for these. I personally do not reccomend these boots in any situation. Some say that the tenacity would help survive against CC. Although, if you are jumping into a fight where the enemy still has their CC, even with 35 Tenacity, they will CC you and focus you to death before you can do anything. Your tank should be initating and eating the CC before you enter the fight. In my opinion, these are a terrible choice for Kha'Zix.
Last Whisper: If the enemy team is stacking a lot of armor to thwart your burst damage and mauling of their faces, then this would be the perfect counter purchase. If you aren't taking fatal magic damage, then swap out the Maw of Malmortius. If you don't need the little bit of lifesteal or wards, then swap out Wriggle's Lantern. If you need both of those and the Last Whisper will help, then swap out the Youmuu's Ghostblade.
Trinity Force: Swap Youmuu's Ghostblade or Frozen Mallet depending on whether you need the +700 Health or not. The 150% damage bonus makes your combo somewhat deadlier, but it only multiples base attack damage. Essentially, without changing the combo discussed below, this makes your Unseen Threat hit much harder. The cornucopia of bonuses is also rather nice to balance out your champion.
Guardian Angel: End game item. Most likely, swap Youmuu's Ghostblade for this. I only buy this if my death will cause my team to lose. If you are the main damage output that is preventing the enemy team from getting an ace, then this is a great item to prevent a death from penta-ult. PROTIP: Selling and rebuying a Guardian Angel will reset the cooldown.
The Bloodthirster: If you have the money and don't need the free wards, then swap Wriggle's Lantern for a second BT. Damage and lifesteal increase will help your burst tremendously. Make you sure you farm up to max it though.
Banshee's Veil: The enemy Nunu's snowball is hitting right through my Maw of Malmortius shield! Help! Have no fear; Banshee's Veil is here! Swap the Maw for a BV and negate the snowball instead. Increased mana and health will be a nice side addition too.
- Quicksilver Sash: When the enemy team has a ton of CC that has your name on it, the death screen can make the game pretty boring. If you find yourself being CC'd to death before you can do anything at all, buy this ASAP. When you reach The Bloodthirster, just sell Wriggle's Lantern to fit it in, or if you recovered and ROFLSTOMPED the enemy team, then sell the Quicksilver Sash back to fit the BT.
These are all the items I have found useful on Kha'Zix so far. If you find more, please let me know so I can try them out.
First off, you need to know how to leash wolves. The jungler attacks wolves first, then an ally hurts them a bit without stealing a kill.
Always kill the smallest creatures first so that you have isolation bonus damage on the biggest enemy.
- Wolves leash
- Golem Soft Leash (Hard leash if it won't hinder your ally)
- Golems The little golems. Mobafire won't link correctly.
You can pretty much leave jungle to gank at any point after Blue Buff. Recall when you need to. Counter jungle whenever possible. Gank often.
I rarely lane with Kha'Zix unless nobody is able to solo top lane. However, I have a few tips to keep your enemies in fear of The Voidreaver!
- Weave in and out of the bushes to keep Unseen Threat proc'd. Bonus damage is always nice.
- Unseen Threat will only deal damage to enemy champions. Attacking minions won't leave you without the bonus damage when that enemy Tryndamere finds his courage to intiate.
- LAST HIT MINIONS.
- Do not just stand there and auto attack the minions. This will just push the lane and you will lose farm or be overextended and vulnerable.
- LAST HIT THE MINIONS!!
- Protect your lanemate too. The enemy will soon realize you are not a force to be reckoned with and will try to focus your lanemate. If your lanemate dies, you will have a hard time fighting a 2v1 without isolation bonuses.
When do I gank?
If two enemies are together, try to wait for them to overextend. Overextended enemies will most likely scatter if you Leap onto their face. This will allow you to maul them to death with isolation.
Before level 6, DO NOT TURRET DIVE. Kha'Zix is very vulnerable to turrets. Any CC and you are now an easy kill for the turrets.
After level 6, you will have your ultimate and the increased damage from evolving Taste Their Fear. You will still need to gauge how much damage you can deal before the turret gets too many shots on you before you gank.
Where do I gank?
How do I initiate the gank?
If not, then you can use Void Assault right before walking out of the bush. Get as close as you can before your stealth expires. Right before you are revealed, Leap onto the enemy if you are still too far away, or just use Taste Their Fear to save Leap for gap-closer or escape at the end of the fight.
How do I maul people faces?
Any other tips?
Do not be the one to initiate the massive teamfight. You will be focused, CC'd, and die. Then you are useless. Let a tank intiate.
Hang around the edge of the fight. Pick off the squishies. Pick off people at low health. Someone stepped out of the fight and is marked as isolated? Maul their face.
Caught an enemy Xin Zhao wandering through the jungle to the Red Buff?
Open with Q Taste Their Fear to deal massive damage with the isolation bonus.
Hit him with a basic attack if you didn't already to slow him with Unseen Threat.
Use W Void Spike to heal up any damage he dealt.
If he is starting to run away, Leap one step ahead of him.
If he is standing to fight or you don't want to waste Leap in case their team comes to save him, then use your ultimate Void Assault to proc another Unseen Threat and cripple the enemy.
Use Taste Their Fear whenever it is off cooldown. If Q and W are both on cooldown, hit Void Assault again for a third Unseen Threat.
By now he should be dead, but if not, just keep up and spam Q and W until he is.
Be sure to basic attack whenever Unseen Threat procs, especially during fights near bushes.
- Malzahar: This floating Void magician knows how to fight Void monsters. Do not engage with him until you are sure his ultimate is on cooldown. The suppression combined with any other enemy beating on you will destroy Kha'Zix while you countdown until death screen.
- Cho'Gath: Another Void monster? Hell yeah. Enemy is ruptured into the air. Kha'Zix flies in like a hawk and mauls that flying meatbag before he can react. Very good solo top champion while I jungle.
That's Kha'Zix for you! Thanks again for reading the guide. Have fun murdering from the shadows and disappearing into thin air!
If this guide helped you, I would appreciate an upvote to inform more players. If you downvote, please comment on what I can improve to change your mind.
More improvements on the way! Peace.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the guide-making guide, which you can find here.
Shoutout to RoxterRocking for suggesting buying Frozen Mallet earlier.
Shoutouts to CobaltLightning, Greywick, Dalois, Suidan42, CurseTheDragon, Dio of God, and Caimen0 for proofreading and being awesome.