Malzahar Build Guide by Nekriz
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
I've been playing Malzahar a lot in Dominion quite successfully.
Since there is no guide for him, I decided to write one on my own.
Malzahar CAN be a very powerful champion in Dominion, but it totally depends on YOU and understanding Dominion.
Dominion is fast, really fast!
But i tend to play a bit more defensive than most do.
You will face a LOT of AD champs.
This guide will show you how to deal with it/them.
Just some words for Dominion:
- 3 bases win the game. You don't need more! Defend them!
- Don't chase enemies too long! If you do, 1 or 2 of your bases are taken because you and your team is distracted.
- It is often better to let an enemy run with 10% than killing him... making him respawn some seconds later with full health and mana. -> It's easier to kill a capturing enemy with 10% health!
- There is no kill stealing!
- Don't flame others for your mistakes!
Charge your Summon Voidling for free before the match starts 2 times with Null Zone.
This will summon your Voidling on your 2nd spell in your first fight.
With the massive mana-regeneration + CDR in Dominion, you always should spam some spells, so you can enter fights with an active Voidling. Maybe summon it even before a fight, so it can grow for some time.
- Always stay near one of your towers.
- Only fight at / under captured towers!
- Bring enemies down with your Null Zone + Nether Grasp Combo; the tower in range will greatly help you!
- Kill an incoming enemy minion wave early! They can capture a tower faster than you think!
- At some bases, bushes are near the tower. Hide in there, wait till an enemy tries to capture and bring him down with your combo + tower support or drop a Garrison.
- Have an open eye on the map. Rush for an enemy base when everyone else is fighting or chasing far away. Even minions can support you capture enemy towers!
- Try to get your Malefic Visions on low HP enemies, if they run away and die, it may jump to another enemy.
- Call of the Void is great for interrupting one or more enemies at the same time; learn to get used to the delay.
- A well placed Null Zone can interrupt more than one, too.
I usually get Catalyst the Protector first, when I'm up to capture Mid or Top (Mill); countering the missing runspeed with Ghost and the speedbuff lying around. During the fight at Top you will(!) level up, healing you for 250 and restoring 200 mana.
At your first return you should get Boots of Speed or Ionian Boots of Lucidity if you can afford them.
After that complete your Rod of Ages asap to get the most out of it.
After that, items are totally dependent on the enemy team.
If you are facing 4-5 AD champs, a Thornmail is very effective!
When there are not so many ADs skip it and save the gold.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
This item is great for the extra health/AP/slow effect.
Other situational items:
Great item - AP/Health/10%CDR + Active/Passive stealth detection!
If you are up to a lot of "magic" damage. The AE is a very nice benefit too!
When there are a lot of tanks or HP-monsters.
All time favorite for some extra damage.
Ghost for the extra speed buff.
There a lot of stationary speed buffs in Dominion you only have to walk over.
If you say, these are enough for you, exchange the spell.
But keep in mind: If you want to counter an enemy capturing a point, the fastest way to get there is mostly with Ghost.
Garrison as a second spell.
First you have to understand how Garrison works.
It can be used on offence or defense.
If you want to capture a point which is guarded by an enemy champion, just throw it on the tower; melt him with your Malefic Visions+ Null Zone+ Nether Grasp combo and capture the point.
Garrison stops enemies who are already capturing a point. You don't have to attack each enemy champion! A lot of people are confused, when their "capture beam" disappears without being attacked. The tower is already firing at them (fast!). If all enemies are dead or not capturing, the regeneration rate is increased so it takes more time for the enemy to (try) capture it again.
As mentioned, you will face a lot of AD champs.
That's why I get Greater Seal of Armor.
If you want more CDR, get Greater Seal of Cooldown Reduction
Cooldown reduction is the next big thing for Malzahar in Dominion.
Your are totally dependant on your spells!
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction works great here, especially with some CDR items.
To dish our some damage, you should get some Greater Mark of Magic Penetration.
With Archaic Knowledge from masteries and the global buff in Dominion that should be enough magic penetration.
I get 3 Greater Quintessence of Ability Power for the AP.
As always... fit it to your play style!
I think the masteries are self-explanatory.
9 in Offense for some damage.
21 in Utility to be agile enough.
Mana-regeneration won't be a factor in Dominion.
And if you should run low on mana... just drop a Malefic Visions on a nearby minion wave.
Utility Mastery stacks with every Dominion Buff!
Switch the filler points to your needs.
Essentials are: Cooldown Reduction in any form, Run-Speed, Buff-Duration
Version History and Info
V 1.0: Initial Release
V 1.1: Changed Purchase Order
V 1.2: Updated Text Formatting
V 1.3: Updated Masteries
Constructive criticism and tips always welcome!