Sion Build Guide by DdukBoggi
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Who am I? : DdukBoGGi
Started League of Legends: Nov. 2010
S3 Top (and current) rating: 1632
Favourite Champions: Sion (obviously), Nidalee, Irelia, Lee Sin
Why am I writing this guide?: Read Below.
Hey guys, DdukBoGGi here. (And yes that means spicy rice cakes in Korean!) I've first published this guide with the help of Snoobie about 2 years back, towards the end of season 1/start of season 2 and it was a very successful build/guide. I have left it for about a year, but a lot of people have been telling me that they want to see it updated as they loved the build/guide so much. So I've just updated the build for you guys, including items, runes, masteries and such. In the span that I was on hiatus, my personal gamesense/gameplay/mechanics have also improved greatly, so it was funny to see the stuff I had written back in the day. Anywho, without further ado, here is the updated S3 Season 3 guide to yours truly, AD Sion BeastgodmodeBAMF. Enjoy :)
Pros / Cons
+ easy to farm
+ once farmed turns into bamf
+ ult has relatively short cd
+ amazing crit and lifesteal
+ ultimate turns him into a BEAST
// With Sion, you have to play safe and smart early game as your mana pool is very limited and your spells cost quite a bit of mana. Try to focus on last hitting and don't engage/trade too much, as your autoattacks won't deal that much dmg early and your combos are mana intensive. (Think of him like a Nasus). Once you hit 6 you can really get in there and chop sh*t up though.
- EXTREMELY Mana Heavy
- stun cd is long at early levels
- can be outdmged/outsustained by most Top lanes (Riven, Irelia, Lee Sin etc)
- takes considrable skill (in order to survive in the current meta QQ)
- must land autoattacks to proc lifesteal -> if CC'ed, can be nuked
// While it is difficult to play as Sion top in the current meta (no innate sustain pre-6, spells are mana heavy (combos limited), no dashes/movement enhancing abilities (prone to ganking) I still feel that Sion, if played correctly, can still be viable. While it is true that Sion will most likely struggle in lane, it is the jungler that makes the game and I believe that if Sion plays safe at early levels and focus on farming, and wait for jungler to gank, it will secure lategame. He is like a Nasus (in terms of scaling with cs) or a Shen (who doesn't excel without his late game items). So don't worry!
|MASTERY||// I take 21 points in offense for the added AD, Arpen, Crit and AS That in the end, turns into bonus dmg and dps. While you can use the remaining 9 points in defense, I feel that 9 points in utility is better for me personally, as the increased mana pool and mana regen is too good to give up (like I mentioned earlier, Sion is a mana-heavy champ early-midgame).|
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: // For Tons of Damage.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: // Ease of Last hitting and (should you need to trade) dmg early on.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: // Magic Resist. Always Good since Sion gets f***ed by CC. I feel that Scaling provides more into mid/later game. Feel free to take the flat MR Glyphs if you desire.
- Greater Seal of Armor: // I used to run Mana regen yellows in S1/2 but with the evolving meta, Armor seems to be the new favourite. It will help reduce minion aggro and enemy champion damage when you are contesting for trades.
Ignite: // Useful spell in the top lane, when trading 1v1. Can be used early lvl 1~3 to ensure kills or just to reduce healing and provide extra dmg throughout the game. Scaling is nice so I recommend it.
Exhaust: // Another good spell, while it doesn't provide the killing potential that ignite offers, I feel that Exhaust is a good spell for both offense and defense.
Flash: // An absolute must. 95% of champions in ranked take this spell (as their primary escape tool, and also offensively when needed to blink + engage onto an enemy. Can be swapped for
- Feel No Pain: // Sion's Passive. Simply put, it allows him to negate a chunk of incoming damage. Just go manmode!
- Cryptic Gaze (Q): // Sion's one and only stun. Useful when chasing. Useful when being chased. Put it simply, it's your trusty friend that will guarantee kills or save your butt when you're running away. A well-placed stun can turn the tide in a team fight.
- Death's Caress (W): // soaks up a fair bit of damage, and also explodes upon re-casting (or just wait) to do a nice AoE blast. Perfect for farming as well. In 1 v 1, pop this after you stun your target. In teamfights, activate it after you use your ulti. Good spell for both defense and offense.
- Enrage (E): // Sion's bread and butter spell for farming. Have it on toggle at ALL TIMES and farm away! With the health bonus, you'll be racking up 3000+hp at lvl 18.
- Cannibalism (R): // now this is what makes Sion such a BEAST. With increased lifesteal and attack speed, you'll be busy hacking enemies to their death. Pop this up at the BEGINNING of a fight to get the most out of it. Also if you're really low, hit creeps to get some hp back and go back to hitting champions (this applies when you're trying to juke in jungle, hit a neutral creep if you're about to die.) This is like one of the most OP spells in the game. I once had a fight where I ran into an enemy Xin and Ashe. I dropped to about 10 hp but with the ulti, I life-stole xin to death in about 3 hits (healed about 1200 hp back) and finished Ashe off, surviving and leaving the encounter with close to FULL HP.
In a fight, the sequence is always . You will most likely win any 1 v 1 as long as you know what you're doing. In team fights, always focus the squishies first but do NOT initiate. If your team has a tank, wait until he initiates and follow with your stun and HACK HACK HACK. However with this build, you will be tanky enough where the team will consider you a tank (more like a beastly "monster-carry-hard-to-kill thing" you have made yourself to be xD)
The above is an example of how to play ballsy and make the best out of your ult (beast lifesteal!!)
Ability Sequence Order
|// For safety, start out with stun first. When you feel comfortable early, you can get your E at level 2 for earlier hp stacking, or W if you are getting harassed heavily. At lvl 3 you should have Q,W,E. At this point, prioritize maxing your E first, then W, then Q, while getting points in your ultimate at levels 6, 11 and 16.|
|// Sion hates cc. Nuff said. (Feel free to substitute for if you are against a heavy ad top.|
|// Double PD's. = Beast MS, AS and Crit = insane lifesteal. Start out by grabbing two first, and upgrade to PD late game. You can also sneak in a in between if you need extra def/tanky.|
|// For even more insane dmg and lifesteal. Sell Wriggle's to get this later. Stack it and your E at the same time ^^|
|// gives nice shield and passive ability (for every health missing, percentage AD bonus|
|// CC is Sion's biggest enemy. I feel that Mercurial Scepter (builds from QSS is a much better buy than Guardian Angel but it is very situational. Suit to your taste.|
|// If you are stomping and want to deal even more tons of damage.|
|// Stacking Tiamat was questionable but certainly fun and viable in season 1/2. Newly improved version of Tiamat.|
|// All that health you have from Mallet and E health bonus, transferred into extra damage, Crit and Armour. Good late game item, serves both offense and defense.|
|// If you have nothing better to buy late-game and have tons of gold, and just want to shred ppl xD|
|In this section, I will upload screenshots of gameplay as well as match history. If you have tried this guide and succeeded, feel free to send me your scores and I will try to post them here for reference :)
|All right. Now that I've told you about this build, I'll sum it up in a few steps:
1) This build will make you beast, provided you farm well.
2) Farm well. did I say that already?
3) In team fights, focus the squishies and carries.
4) skill sequence is Q+R+W, then repeat Q and autoattack as needed.
5) Although you will be dominating as long as you follow this build correctly, it will NOT make you INVINCIBLE. so use fair judgment and play smartly (dont rush into a 5 v 1... although sometimes I do pull off some sick pentas xD)
6) Remember to use as much as you can.
7) HAVE FUN! :)
With this build, you can comeback from even the most drastic situations (you're down to nexus turrets). It is possible. Remember. You are sion. you are A BEAST. HAVE NO FEAR, but play smart, and you will be guaranteed a VICTORY!
well that's it for the build, I will be constantly updating and continue experimenting, so please leave feedback and tell me how it went for you guys! Now get out there and kick some butt! :)
SPECIAL THANKS: Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.