Mobafire League of Legends Build Guides Mobafire League of Legends Build Guides

Tristana Build Guide by Vapora Dark

4018K
Views
136
Comments
139
Votes
League of Legends Build Guide Author Vapora Dark

Vapora's Guide To Tristana

Vapora Dark Last updated on March 22, 2017
Like Build on Facebook Tweet This Build Share This Build on Reddit

Quick Comment

You need to log in before commenting.

[-] Collapse All Comments

Sort Comments By
Loading Comments...
2
[-]
gonzalesxx | March 8, 2017 12:12pm
Muy buena guia amigo me sirvio de mucha ayuda! llevo ganando 5 seguidas con tristana exito
2
[-]
Latest Legend (120) | March 8, 2017 10:27am
In the items section:
Quoted:
If your enemies aren't stacking 2-3 armor items on multiple champions then armor isn't a necessary purchase yet, so you can move on to building a third crit item to maximize your DPS.
Should be "armor pen" or whatever I think.

What I really came for: what do you think about the new Blade of the Ruined King?
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | March 8, 2017 11:00am
Whoops. Will be fixed soon™

Looks like a downgrade unless you're straight up rushing it to me. Time will tell.
1
[-]
shader301202 | February 20, 2017 2:20pm
Hey Vapora :D

1.
Quoted:
That's no problem for me at all, other than maybe once every 100 games where I accidentally click R instead of T and fire my ult into minions...

Oh dear, it happens to me like every 5th game :C

2. Cause of you I main Tristana :) I think I made her in 4 weeks from lvl 1 to lvl 7 :P Now I have 60k pts on her. I hope there'll be 1 million someday ;d But thank you :D

3. I'd really like to have a 1v1 against you. Maybe I am Bronze and you Master (hopefully Challenger next month <3), but I still want to play against you. Is it possible?
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | February 21, 2017 1:20am
There's not really any point in 1v1'ing, you could learn from 100 1v1's maybe, but not just one. It'd be time consuming for no good reason for me to 1v1 everyone that asks sorry. :(

Comment has been deleted

1
[-]
Kory Hold | February 8, 2017 4:32pm
Hi, Vapora:D Ty for the great guide and colossal work you did. I need to say 'thanks' not only for this one in fact, but for all your ADC guides! I'm using them pretty often:)
.
Nevetheless, my question is about surving on ADC. For example, if you build 2-3 items, but enemy fed assasin/burst mage focus and one-shot you in teamfights. What should you do? Will Guardian Angel be enough? And what do you think about such alternative like Sterak's Gage? Or maybe Frozen Mallet?
.
And again, TY for great work :D
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | February 8, 2017 7:23pm
I would never build Sterak's Gage or Frozen Mallet. Guardian Angel is acceptable as a 6th item, but you can build the Chain Vest sooner than that if you really need it. The same doesn't go for Negatron Cloak however since if you just want MR, Hexdrinker is a much better choice.
1
[-]
BaiCris | February 8, 2017 7:52am
Hello Vapora's Dark, my name is Cristian, a pleasure, I wanted to thank you for the guide is perfect although I made a change, Now I am mastery 7 and I have a total of 57300 points with Trsiatana, 4 Pentakills, about 9 murders Quadruples and I lost count of the triple killings, I would like to someday do a 1 vs 1 against you my nickname in the LoL is BaiCris, I am level 21 and I still lack many things to learn and practice I am a newbie even and I do not know Speak very good english so help me with the google translator that, thanks for reading <3
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | February 8, 2017 10:08am
Hey, glad you found my guide helpful!

I don't think there's much point in a 1v1 when you're level 21 though, because you'll be playing without full runes and masteries and that's a huge disadvantage that's completely unrelated to skill. You'll want to make sure a 1v1 is on even terms before you can even begin to learn form it.
1
[-]
Kiet17 | January 11, 2017 5:27am
What do you think about guinsoo on tristana after it gives more attack speed ?
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 11, 2017 9:09am
Still bad. It used to be good because it was a really strong early powerspike, but now it costs as much as IE.
1
[-]
Kiet17 | January 12, 2017 4:34am
Thank you for a great guide :D
Load more comments (1 more replies) →
1
[-]
GodLord (20) | December 23, 2016 9:59am
great build
2
[-]
LimitlessHavoc (21) | December 23, 2016 10:11am
thanks!
2
[-]
GodLord (20) | December 23, 2016 3:44pm
:)
2
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | December 23, 2016 10:19am
the ****?
1
[-]
EShirou | December 20, 2016 5:59am
What masteries do you take to reach Thunderlord's Decree keystone? Instead of Battering Blows and Warlord's Bloodlust you go with Precision and then Thunderlord? I want to try that.
2
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | December 20, 2016 6:06am
Yeah, this is my Thunderlord's Decree page.

It's better for snowballing early on and just generally pushing an advantage when you're fed, but it generally performs worse in team-fights than Warlord's Bloodlust or Fervor of Battle (though you also tend to do better in team-fights 5 kills up than not).
1
[-]
EShirou | December 20, 2016 6:10am
Thanks, I'm gonna try this, the thing is, I don't feel the lifesteal from Warlord's Bloodlust at all no matter how many matches I play with Tristana :/ It's like I'm playing 100% without any.
Load more comments (1 more replies) →
1
[-]
Loli Azunyan | December 19, 2016 8:45pm
TL;DR: I played tahm supp vs a trist and she seemed to do more dmg than i EVER do with trist using your build, want your thoughts, maybe i thought she did more than she was?

Hello, I am in bronze and really enjoy your ADC guides, as my favorite ADCs are Jinx and Trist, i use them pretty much every game as a guideline and i am still improving as an ADC in general. Firstly i want to thank you for making such a in depth guide for these champions rather than just show a quick build with no other information. The main reason for leaving a comment was actually to sk some questions and see what your thoughts were. when i play tristana i generally get an Early BF > Pickaxe > Greaves > Runaans > then back into IE. Around this point in the game i do around 250-300 dmg when i crit. I always feel that is really weak, but i tend to ignore it and go one with my game. After Early BF > Pickaxe > Greaves > Runaans > IE, i go > Vapiric Scepter> PD > BT > then whatever fits the best at the time, btu that is 99% of the time what i do as i tend to be ahead most the time also. After my BT i crit for around 600ish and again,, that feels REALLLYYY weak. So today i played with my friend bot lane as Tahm upport they had a trist, her build went like this: https://gyazo.com/d472750ef01be02e1520dbe81e0d54fb (just a screenshot link to her build, max order, and runes. just incase it looked like a fishy link :P) and her Masteries: https://gyazo.com/8c9bceca99627292efe66e9c14df0960 and she shredded SUPER hard and was at the point were she could 1v2-3 and wasnt even that fed, just her items seemed to be super good. And on the other hand i dont seem to ever shred, but just hit squishies a little harder than usual. Anyways sorry for the unorganized wall of text, I want your input (if possible) on this and perhaps tell me if im wrong and your build is more effective?

(ALSO RELATED [kinda]) I saw your section on kiting/orb walking and i was seriously wondering how do you kite people like this team: https://gyazo.com/bee66634c6341995bd5a4d0aaea10258 I ALWAYS have issues when im being chased when i try to kite theyre ALWAYS faster than me so i end up just straight up running. I dont think ive ever been in a game where i can kite effectively because everyone have a billion movespeed.

Thank you in Advance if you do find time to reply to this !
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | December 20, 2016 5:56am
She was probably just fed. Firecannon is better than Runaan's for poke but does a lot less DPS, and BotRK 3rd does less damage than a crit item. By the time she reached her 4th item, her build (though not the order) was pretty standard, except she was taking BotRK instead of BT/Scimitar, which does do more damage but at the expensive of survivability.

The only thing about her setup that would do more damage than mine all game long is taking Fervor of Battle , which would naturally deal more damage than a defensive keystone like Warlord's Bloodlust , but at the same time it's less damage than she used to deal with the old Fervor.

She got full build at 35 minutes too, so I'm pretty sure it was just her gold lead. Your ADC at that point only had 4 items so he was obviously going to be much weaker.


Quoted:
I saw your section on kiting/orb walking and i was seriously wondering how do you kite people like this team: https://gyazo.com/bee66634c6341995bd5a4d0aaea10258 I ALWAYS have issues when im being chased when i try to kite theyre ALWAYS faster than me so i end up just straight up running. I dont think ive ever been in a game where i can kite effectively because everyone have a billion movespeed.

Kiting doesn't always keep you out of range of people trying to get to you, since you're pausing to auto-attack very frequently while they're just running towards you. If you don't kill them very fast, then it's normal for the enemies you're kiting to get to you (if you don't Rocket Jump or use Buster Shot). But by kiting you get to land more damage before they get to you, and even once they reach you, continuing to kite means that they still constantly have to chase after you and get in range of you to land another attack, whereas you can auto-attack just as frequently kiting as you can standing still.

If it's crucial that the enemy doesn't reach you, either because they can 1-shot you or because Singed will Fling you into the enemy team, then you don't kite and you just run. If they can still just run so fast that they can get to you, then you were mispositioned.

Also on Tristana you can just auto-attack them until they reach you then Buster Shot them back to square one, and also just Rocket Jump away when they reach you. In the case of Singed he's almost certainly going to try to Fling you the moment he reaches you, so just before he gets in Fling range you cast Rocket Jump and cancel it. However I wouldn't recommend doing this too many times in a single game since eventually he's going to catch on and wait until you're mid-air before Flinging you, if he's smart. At least in my Elo it wouldn't be smart to do that repeatedly, but maybe you can get away with it at yours.

On ADC's that don't have these tools, such as Jinx, then as I said, if these champions are getting to you then you were probably positioned poorly. Either that or your team weren't properly peeling for you, which is partly why I much prefer Tristana over immobile ADC's. But if you're in a position where a Fling will kill you, then the best thing to do is to NOT kite and just run, until you're in a position where getting Flinged is harmless.
1
[-]
Loli Azunyan | December 20, 2016 1:47pm
Thank you for your reply, lots of useful information i will keep in mind for sure. I will keep practicing and hopefully become really good at some point. But yes i am bronze, i am more than likely out of position sometimes, but hey i just gotta keep practicing. Again thank you for you detailed response (and guide) it really helps me out, Good luck in your future games :)
2
[-]
GrandmasterD (520) | November 19, 2016 12:14pm
Such an amazing guide from a challenger expert!! Both upvoted and scouted your guide.

Please continue to be part of our community and bless it with your knowledge and expertise :)
1
[-]
EShirou | November 13, 2016 3:35am
Hmm.... Sensei, I have a question. I understand why the change from Vampirism to Natural Talent because that's what I've been running for a while now on Tristana and it's actually much better than vampirism although I'm coming into conclusion that hybrid build between vampirism (less points) and natural talen (more points) might be even better. But why the change from Fervor of Battle to Warlord's Bloodlust? I've noticed Trist with new fervor deals much more dmg that she was before and I find it good to play with but you having more knowledge than me (higher division) and me always getting my OTP Tristana build based on your guide, I would love to know why the change and what it gives to Tristana right now etc. compared to fervor and how the new fervor works on Tristana compared to the old one (what is the difference).
2
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | November 13, 2016 5:50am
I've been running Natural Talent for ages too, but kept Vampirism in the guide since it makes for a better laning phase. A combination of the two is fine too, however the reason I swapped it for Natural Talent is the fact that Warlord's Bloodlust essentially gives you more lifesteal the less lifesteal you have elsewhere (lower lifesteal = lower HP = higher lifesteal from the mastery), making Vampirism less efficient compared to if you were running Fervor of Battle .

As for the swap to Warlord's Bloodlust , the new Fervor is considered worse for a few reasons:

1. It's not an on-hit, meaning you get much less damage from Runaan's Hurricane. Max stack Fervor did 112 on-hit damage IIRC, and so Runaan's Hurricane would do 112 damage to all 3 targets it hit. With the new Fervor, you get 60 AD at max stacks, which with an Infinity Edge crit would translate into 150 auto-attack damage to the person you're critting. Since it's not an on-hit it's affected by Runaan's 25% mitigation, meaning to secondary targets that only translates into 37.5 damage. So crits deal 150 + 37.5 + 37.5 damage, compared to old Runaan's 112 + 112 + 112 damage, which translates into much lower overall DPS, even if you're only hitting 2 people rather than 3. And it's even worse on non-crits, where the new Fervor deals 60 + 15 + 15 to the old Fervor's 112 + 112 + 112.

2. The new Fervor's max stacks is 10. The old Fervor's max stacks was 8 and tended to do more damage, so it takes longer to get to that stage now and then you're still not as strong as you used to be.

3. The duration of the new Fervor's stacks is 4 seconds, the old one's was 6. So it's harder your stacks compared to the old one, and that can result in a large DPS loss if you lose your stacks in a situation where the old one would let you keep them.

4. Even in single-target DPS, the new Fervor does less damage at max stacks until you have at least 70% crit chance. This isn't taking into consideration the fact that it now takes longer to reach max stacks.

5. The new Fervor's damage being AD means the extra damage is affected by Thornmail, Ninja Tabi, Randuin's Omen, etc.

The only pros about the new Fervor are that the extra AD increases the damage of your spells (but Explosive Charge has a long cooldown and you want to use it at the start of a fight, not when you're at max stacks, so it doesn't add to your damage by much), and that the extra damage being AD means it's affected by lifesteal, so it heals you more. But those are little consolation when remembering how good the old one was in other regards.

The new Fervor of Battle definitely has potential, but until it receives buffs it's just not worth taking over Warlord's Bloodlust currently, especially on a champion with so few AD ratios like Tristana. I don't think any meta ADC right now wants Fervor of Battle over Warlord's Bloodlust .
1
[-]
EShirou | November 14, 2016 9:16pm
Ah, now I see, yep then the switch seems logical ^^ Thank You very much for your explanation, I'll start using Bloodlust as well from now on.
1
[-]
Galaxelen | August 12, 2016 9:15am
Hi!
This guide is really good when i play trist but as you metioned her mid game is kinda weak. Could a ghostblade rush make up for this? Thx for the guide :D
2
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | August 12, 2016 9:38am
It would make it less weak, but it'd still be below average and suboptimal.

Youmuu's ADC's have builds that synergize well with a Ghostblade rush, such as following up with Cleaver/Draktharr while still being strong as hell. It's not the case for Tristana, who uses neither item well, and would need to keep using a regular ADC build after Youmuu's Ghostblade, probably Runaan's Hurricane. But with Youmuu's and Runaan's she'd be weaker than with IE and Runaan's since Youmuu's and Runaan's don't synergize well.

The Guinsoo's Rageblade meta before its rework was perfect for her since it gave her early-mid game a huge boost in power and synergized perfectly with a followup Runaan's Hurricane into the regular ADC build. Unfortunately Youmuu's Ghostblade is kind of a standalone powerspike item which doesn't synergize with any of the other items Trist would want to build. It's stronger as a single item, but never as a combination of items.

Mind you I haven't playtested it so I'm just theory crafting here, but I think if Youmuu's were optimal on Trist it'd already be known given how popular Youmuu's has become on other ADC's.
1
[-]
Galaxelen | August 12, 2016 11:45am
Ok thanks! Just thought it could have the same effect as it has on twitch. Thx anyway!
1
[-]
B34STLYG4M3R (1) | August 10, 2016 6:58am
What do you think about some kind of on-hit mid lane mage build? You could play kind of a clean up damage dealer Katarina style and jump around with your W getting resets on it.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | August 10, 2016 7:52am
I love mid lane Tristana, but ADC Trist is still the way to go. The only changes I make are taking Thunderlord's Decree rather than Fervor of Battle , since your win conditions for the lane are bursting the enemy laner down rather than DPS'ing them to death, and taking Statikk Shiv + Phantom Dancer rather than Runaan's Hurricane + Rapid Firecannon, since with no Fervor of Battle the effectiviness of Runaan's is reduced.
1
[-]
Relerog | August 9, 2016 9:59am
Yesterday was the first time that I played Tristana, and I used your build for testing. In my first match I did 22/6 without know how to play with her, so thank you, the guide helped me a lot!
Hugs from Brazil ;D
2
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | August 9, 2016 11:16am
Glad I could help. :)
1
[-]
Vicious Skittle (18) | July 18, 2016 3:48pm
What do you think of the new Korean runes/masteries? Getting 3 AS marks, 1 lifesteal quint and natural talent?








(^:
2
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | August 9, 2016 11:16am
I hope you die a slow horrible death.
1
[-]
The Warwick Joker | July 18, 2016 3:38pm
Isn't Phantom Dancer Stronger than Runaan's Hurricane on Tristana?
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | July 18, 2016 3:41pm
Nope, as it turns out Runaan's Hurricane is the strongest Zeal upgrade you can build on Tristana, since it procs full Fervor of Battle damage on each auto-attack, meaning you do a lot more than just 25% of your auto-attack damage on each bolt.

I only use PD as a boots substitute now.
1
[-]
GalacticSavge8 | July 16, 2016 7:20pm
Is there a reason you go rfc instead of shiv?
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | July 16, 2016 7:36pm
Runaan's already gives you waveclear, and it synergizes with Runaan's since the higher your auto-attack range, the wider the range of Runaan's passive.
1
[-]
Janitsu (504) | July 16, 2016 11:29pm
runaans synergizes with runaans

okok
Load more comments (1 more replies) →
1
[-]
AhmetLoL | July 10, 2016 11:18am
If there isn't a tanky champion in enemy team, anything except Dominik's wouldn't be better? How should we go without Dominik's?
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | July 10, 2016 11:46am
You would replace it with Mortal Reminder. If they just straight up have no armor, then you can build Mercurial Scimitar instead, or if you'd already built that, then The Bloodthirster.
1
[-]
AhmetLoL | July 10, 2016 3:12am
I'm really curious about why there isn't a life stealing in new (stronger build).
Vamprisim is enough for an ADC?
1
[-]
AhmetLoL | July 10, 2016 3:18am
Excuse me! I didn't know Mercurial was giving LifeStealing. Sorry nvm this question.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | July 10, 2016 5:27am
Yup, Mercurial is enough for lifesteal, but BT is better right now and I'll update the guide to reflect that.
1
[-]
AndRay (2) | July 2, 2016 8:03pm
Hey, nice guide! +1000 if i could.
Can you do one for supports? I'm kinda awkward at warding :P


And btw am I the only insane person that has read all comentaries?
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | July 2, 2016 8:21pm
I'm glad you liked it!

Unfortunately I'm "kinda awkward" at warding too, to say the least, and my support skills are definitely nothing anyone should aspire to. Me writing a support guide is way out of the question. However, here are links to resources from some great support players that you may find useful.

http://www.mobafire.com/profile/missmaw-151165/content/builds

http://www.mobafire.com/profile/vynertje-171340/content/builds

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/forum/general/vynertjes-support-ama-and-advice-thread-33082

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/report-their-support-for-trolling-in-depth-sup-trundle-432195

If you need anything else you can ask any one of them questions through PM or in their guide comments, or in Vynertje's case through his support help AMA.

Good luck finding what you're searching for. :)
1
[-]
AndRay (2) | July 3, 2016 4:52am
Thanks again!
1
[-]
milkishealthy | June 29, 2016 6:27am
Why is runaan's the best attack speed item to build first right now?
You'd think shiv would be better since tristana doesnt use any on hit effects with runaan's.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | June 30, 2016 8:11am
Why is runaan's the best attack speed item to build first right now?
You'd think shiv would be better since tristana doesnt use any on hit effects with runaan's.

I explained it in a Reddit comment the other day so I'll just leave that here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TristanaMains/comments/4ouoco/tristana_build/d4gjix2

I think the main thing is just the fact that Fervor of Battle is an on-hit that's proc'd by Runaan's Hurricane. At level 18, with 8 Fervor stacks, you'd be doing 112 damage to each target hit by Runaan's with just Fervor alone, a single mastery point. That's crazy. Which makes Runaan's a much more attractive option over Shiv compared to running Runaan's back in the 5 man Thunderlord's Decree era, which might be why it took so long for this build to surface, since back then Runaan's was dismissed as bad on champions like Tristana because no one ran Fervor of Battle on ADC's.

It also helps that it gives 5% more AS and 2% more movement speed. It's so strong that people would rather build a BF Sword for some AD then just rush Runaan's rather than build IE first, whereas with Shiv people would build a Zeal before completing IE, but they would still finish IE before Shiv.

It's still not a thing on some ADC's since Runaan's works best on ADC's with high range (not sure how or why that works since I don't believe Riot ever documented the change, but it's true and easily seen with Caitlyn headshots), so ADC's with average/below average range just want to stick to Shiv. But high range ADC's like Tristana will proc the bolts a lot and do far more AoE damage than they would with Statikk Shiv; just think that if you're at lvl 18 with full Fervor of Battle stacks, 3 Runaan's bolts will out-damage a crit Statikk Shiv proc just through Fervor alone, not counting any other source of damage.

You lose out on some waveclear but if waveclear is a problem you still have the option to build Shiv instead of Firecannon after Runaan's. The point is that Runaan's overall damage is way higher than Shiv's, and now that people have realized that, all you would want Shiv for is waveclear, whereas previously it was considered king of AoE as well. But so long as you actually have targets to hit with your bolts, Runaan's is king of AoE by far.

Oh and also, each bolt on a champion stacks up Fervor of Battle , so you could potentially reach 6 stacks in 2 auto-attacks if you happen to hit 3 champions.
1
[-]
pepsiM4A1 (47) | June 23, 2016 5:24pm
I won't even read this one.
2
[-]
achan55 (8) | May 27, 2016 8:14am
Jeeeez man first the Talon guide and now this!? I am definitely going to throw an upvote.

I want a guide like yours, but the FREAKING CODING is stopping me. The fancy table of contents and the great organization, I want to hate you for making us lower guide makers look bad, but I can't XD.

I don't play adc much (mainly because I will get absolutely destroyed), but I really admire your the dedication and time you put into your guides. I hope to make as great as a guide like yours one day (damn coding!).

But anyways good luck on the rift and always remember, Your Place Is At The Top!
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 27, 2016 9:55am
Haha thank you for the kind words. :) But unfortunately I can't take credit for any of the coding, I'm actually awful at it, the entire guide was done by Janitsu. If you want a well coded guide, well, most things in life you have to work hard for, but in this case you just need to find a kind soul willing to do all the work for you. You can try asking on the Build & Guide Discussion forum if anyone would be willing to code your guide for you, since I know some people on MOBAFire are always willing to help out.
1
[-]
achan55 (8) | June 4, 2016 11:10am
HMMMMMMMMMMM very interesting. Guide still great of course.

I honestly don't think I will have anyone that would code mine because I have a lot of useless info on my guide, but I like it as it is unique.

We'll see though, thanks again for filling me in on this world of MOBAFire, very interesting. :D
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 24, 2016 5:05am
Adding onto my previous post since I had to make it short as I was about to go to class:

On bot lane it's very easy to force all-ins against weaker opponents, and very easy to freeze the lane to deny CS and XP if those opponents try to play it safe and only farm under tower. And if they play their cards right they might even manage to mount up an infite freeze; one where they let your wave build up a numbers advantage and let it push, but tank the wave in front of the tower over and over to make sure the minion advantage never stops, so they can ensure that the minion wave never ends up under your tower unless they want it to, or if your team/jungler comes to help you push the wave into their tower 3v2 to reset the lane, but this kind of coordination doesn't happen in solo queue.

On bot lane you need x2 combat summoners so you're not automatically at a disadvantage. The support can take Ignite or Exhaust, but you need a defensive combat summoner, since as the ADC, once you get items the longer you survive the more damage you put out, and so Heal will often result in more damage dealt than Ignite would. Even if your support takes Ignite instead of Exhaust, you would still want Heal over Exhaust since it's a 2v2 lane, and Heal affects two people, which is also why it's better than Barrier. This means that at level 1, if you have Heal and your enemies don't, your bot lane has a 180 HP advantage over the enemy bot lane at level 1. At level 2 it gives a 208 HP advantage, at level 3 a 236 HP advantage, etc. It's by far the strongest of combat summoners to take on bot lane, and you want it on the ADC rather than the support since it gives you a form of self-protection that doesn't rely on your team to save you.

Ghost is also that kind of self-protection that's unreliant on your team, but in laning phase it has absolutely no combat uses. This means that you're setting yourself up to a huge disadvantage right off the bat since you're effectively 90 HP below the enemy ADC at level 1, and your bot lane as a whole is at a 180 HP disadvantage that only gets bigger with levels. Ghost helps you not die, but it doesn't help you win lane, and even in losing lanes it'll make you lose harder than necessary. If the enemy bot lane knows what they're doing, then even if you try to play safe because of your disadvantage they'll just abuse it by setting up a freeze, effectively saying "either come lose a fight to us, or go afk at base because you won't be getting CS anyway". That's the kind of thing that bot lanes should only be able to do when they're really really ahead, but it'd happen so much more frequently if they have Heal up but they know yours will never be up because you don't have it.

Ghost is nice for escaping ganks and definitely would be strong late-game, but you can't afford to give up so much pressure in lane by taking no combat summoners on bot lane. Mid laners that like Ghost can get away with taking it because of the really short length of the lane, and because of how many of those mid laners can just clear a wave in 5 seconds and avoid combat entirely. Bot lane is unfortunately not in the same boat, and Heal is absolutely mandatory on ADC's.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 24, 2016 3:15am
No problem, but you should use Heal, it's a lot better than Ghost since it actually helps you in combat which is very important in bot lane.
1
[-]
DeusVitae | May 23, 2016 6:02pm
Thanks for the guide. Tristana is my main ADC so will try out your build and see how it goes. One thing i have used is ghost instead of heal with flash and W for that perfect safe disenage from ganks...or any combination of the 3. :D
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 14, 2016 5:51am
Don't mention it. :P I enjoy talking about this.
1
[-]
PinkBlood (1) | May 14, 2016 5:46am
I really appreciate you responding and being patient with me, most people dont. Thanks. :D
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 14, 2016 3:05am
Oh so you mean you use it in non-SR game modes.

It depends kinda, Statikk isn't just for farming, the AoE damage is just insanely strong if it crits and hits lots of people, and it gives +5% attack speed over firecannon, and the lightning proc does more dmg even just to 1 person if it crits.

Statikk is more about raw DPS for team-fights (and the added waveclear is a strong bonus as well!), whereas Firecannon gives you much more opportunities to poke while out of fights, and lets you siege towers better.

In a way it's kind of situational which you would want, since depending on your team's win conditions you could benefit more from the better team-fighting or from the poke/sieging, but in general I chalk it down to personal preference. Shiv is considered the stronger of the two right now, but the difference is small enough that you can just build whichever you prefer, whether on SR or on other game modes.
1
[-]
PinkBlood (1) | May 14, 2016 2:56am
well statik is mainly used for farming and stuff but in gamemodes u really dont farm. aram, acension , etc.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 14, 2016 1:51am
I'm not sure what you mean. :P
1
[-]
PinkBlood (1) | May 14, 2016 1:25am
Ohk thanks. But when im doing gamemodes i do rapid fire.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 14, 2016 12:53am
Statikk, it's just easier to update the bit at the top rather than the text.
1
[-]
PinkBlood (1) | May 13, 2016 7:52pm
Im a bit confused in the build you have statik and when you go down to "items" it has rapid fire. What one do I get?
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 13, 2016 5:07am
Glad it helped. :)
1
[-]
PinkBlood (1) | May 13, 2016 5:05am
Dude, your the best like I played 1 game of tris before I read half of this. Then I played a game after reading this and I IMPROVED SO MUCH THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
1
[-]
BootySenpai | May 11, 2016 11:22am
Amaazing :DD thanks
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 9, 2016 11:50pm
Thanks for the reminder, I'll do it when I finish class later!

There's not much to do though, I just need to remove Alacrity and maybe prioritize PD over Scimitar.
1
[-]
EShirou | May 9, 2016 4:39pm
Please update the item set/guide to patch 6.9 D: Thanks in advance ^^
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 9, 2016 1:43pm
Thank you. :) I use trinket on 1 since before making the change I never set actives on 1 anyway. The only downside of doing this is that sometimes I forget to move an active from 1 if it gets placed there automatically and then I have no key to use it with until I move it mid-fight, and with how buggy the thing is (which is probably usually why things sometimes end up on 1) it can sometimes take a few goes.
1
[-]
leeftw (5) | May 9, 2016 1:04pm
Just out off curiosity on what button do you place the trinket? Great guide by the way!
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | May 3, 2016 2:19am
Np. :)
1
[-]
Starkillred | May 3, 2016 1:56am
Thanks a lot!I just started the game and this is heping me to learn how to play a role I was interested in.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | April 13, 2016 9:21am
Yes I have, and I agree. It seems like the stronger build of the two in my experience. That being said I prefer the feel of the IE build once it gets to 3 items. :(

I don't intend to update the guide to reflect Guinsoo's Tristana because Riot have said they'll be reworking Guinsoo's again in the mid-season patch, so Guinsoo's Tristana will probably stop being a thing next patch (or patch after, not sure which it is).
1
[-]
ASDwert | April 13, 2016 9:10am
Amazing, amazing guide. mad props.

Have you tried the guinsoo's build that the pros have been using? i've been testing it out and it seems good.
http://www.probuilds.net/champions/details/Tristana
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | March 31, 2016 3:39pm
Spacebar just wouldn't work for me because I already use it to center the screen over my champion and have done for the past 4 and a half years, it's not a change I'd be happy to make. I should probably have a real think about it and experiment to see if there's any convenient key to place it, but for now, I know a lot of pros don't use the key and some aren't even aware of it, so I think in general, it's fine to mostly rely on your accuracy seeing as misclicking isn't going to be too punishing if you use attack move anyway.
1
[-]
Dark Riolu | March 31, 2016 3:12pm
P.S. I'll have to see whether I give up Champs Only for Attack Move. It's certainly possible... or I could use Champs Only in lane and switch after.

~Dork Riolu
1
[-]
Dark Riolu | March 31, 2016 3:09pm
Nice response time ^.^
To prevent any awkwardness is precisely why I bound Target Champs to the spacebar, since my thumb isn't doing anything anyway :p If someone uses their thumb for something else, this probably won't work.
It's nice to get some discussion going; I'm definitely taking your responses into account. And you're right about Vayne's condemn not being good positioning, but at the start I just needed to be forced to consider any positioning.
Additionally, my tip with the one minion aggro does only work if you're pushed next to your tower, thanks for clarifying that. Even if they're in the middle of the lane it'll probably be too far.
I also agree that tower diving isn't easy. There's a time and place for everything, and if you can catch a carry near the edge of the tower range or if you have Malphite + Yasuo for instance, that would be the time to dive, even if you haven't been dominating.
Thanks for responding!
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | March 31, 2016 2:51pm
Dark Riolu wrote:

I also have a huge suggestion for your guide: Target Champions Only. Found under the "Abilities and Summoner Spells" section of Hotkeys, you never ever have to worry about attacking a minion instead of a champ, which was mentioned a few times in the guide. I set it to spacebar, so any time I'm attacking someone I automatically just place my thumb down. It feels awkward at first but actually only takes a few games to get used to. The only slight downside is when I try to use it on baron or dragon and start walking towards them before I realize my mistake. I've never seen anyone mention this and a lot of people don't use it; do they just not know about it? I managed to find it after condemning a minion as Vayne and thinking, there has to be an easier way.

I'm aware of Target Champions Only, personally I don't use it because the placement is awkward as hell and I can't think of a better place to put it, so when I'm in a fight, I'd rather risk auto-attacking a minion than risk bringing up the scoreboard and becoming blind, or even worse, bringing up the options menu. And it's definitely not as important as Attack Move anyway.


Dark Riolu wrote:
Additionally, I don't see any reason to run in circles to avoid minion aggro. If there are enough enemy minions that one can break off, I simply lead it into tower range. This gives me a quick, easy CS while avoiding all damage (except maybe one caster minion attack). It takes so little time that you won't usually lose any CS.

On bot lane, the lane is so long that yes, you are very likely to lose a minion most of the time if you try to do that. Additionally, if the enemy knows what they're doing, when you walk back you'll probably find yourself zoned off the minion wave when they position themselves so far ahead of the wave that they can freely attack you without drawing minion aggro. And you'll also have no minions blocking your way to prevent skillshots like Death Sentence. It depends on the matchup a lot of the time, but almost any bot lane can start shoving the moment they see you walking towards your tower, and by the time you get back they have too many minions for you to contest the zoning.


Dark Riolu wrote:
On a different note, what do you do on red side? You keep talking about doing golems first, but you can't choose to be on blue side. Should you do gromp on red side, or just ignore it?

Yeah you are meant to start gromp on red side, woops. Too used to referring to the camp start simply as "golems" because when the concept of doing a camp on bot lane began, there was no gromp or wight, just golems for the blue team.


Dark Riolu wrote:
A quick tip I have related to "How to ADC" is to start with Vayne if you can't ADC. I used to be even worse at the role, but after a couple dozen Vayne games I finally learned some mechanics. All her spells are single-target, so you can ignore skillshots while you're learning. Her tumble also makes it easier to practice dodging enemy skillshots, and condemn forces you to consider positioning. Additionally, her W makes it easy to take down tanks so you aren't as tempted to go for the other carries. I'm sure YOU don't care about this :p but it helped me a lot.

I would rather advise people just to play whatever ADC's they find fun. :P I think any mobile ADC will do for anyone wanting to learn the role. "and condemn forces you to consider positioning": Correct, but not actually the kind of "positioning" that ADC's are meant to apply, just the kind of positioning that'll let you get some neat wall stuns, which is Vayne/ Poppy specific.


Dark Riolu wrote:
Last comment: tower diving isn't that hard. You don't have to be really really reeeeeeeeaaally far ahead to dive; you can even be behind. If Alistar dives into the enemy team he can cc most of them, and he'll be the only one taking turret aggro at all (which will only do a couple hundred damage against most tanks). This can take the enemy off guard and lead to their collapse. Basically, there are times to siege and times to dive; it's not 97% siege and 3% dive.

If it was as simply as tower diving the enemy team whenever you have a lead, there would be no comebacks, teams would have to give up towers over and over because they can't defend them without getting aced. There are definitely times you can dive, but it's a team effort, and mostly it requires catching out specific targets rather than just diving in on whoever you want and running the enemy team down 5v5 under tower. Even with Alistar, the best tower tanker in the game, it's not a completely reliable strategy even when you're ahead (unless you're really ahead).


Dark Riolu wrote:
(Why do all of your images say Vapora Dork?)

Running joke. :P Dark looks like Dork and Dork is an insult so Dork it is hahahaha so funny no sarcasm.
1
[-]
Dark Riolu | March 31, 2016 12:30pm
Great guide, it gave me insight into some useful things, especially Attack Move Click. I had never even heard of that before now, but it seems amazing and I'll be practicing it post-haste. I kind of suck at ADC, and one game I almost solo-carried but lost the game all at once when I walked towards Ezreal instead of attacking him :(. Knowing about that would've made me the hero instead of the loser :p

I also have a huge suggestion for your guide: Target Champions Only. Found under the "Abilities and Summoner Spells" section of Hotkeys, you never ever have to worry about attacking a minion instead of a champ, which was mentioned a few times in the guide. I set it to spacebar, so any time I'm attacking someone I automatically just place my thumb down. It feels awkward at first but actually only takes a few games to get used to. The only slight downside is when I try to use it on baron or dragon and start walking towards them before I realize my mistake. I've never seen anyone mention this and a lot of people don't use it; do they just not know about it? I managed to find it after condemning a minion as Vayne and thinking, there has to be an easier way.

I just tested this out in conjunction with Attack Move Click and found some very interesting and useful things. First of all, one must hold the Target Champions Only button before pressing the Attack Move Click button. I tried setting my Attack Move Click to Alt+right click; that way I can press my thumb onto the spacebar and simply lay it across Alt as well. While holding these buttons down, autoattacking works very much like (I assume) just holding Attack Move Click, so it's best to just use Target Champions Only while they're near minions or monsters. However, you CANNOT cast spells on minions. This means you will never ever miss with Explosive Charge or Buster Shot, unless maybe possibly sometimes if there's a fat enemy standing on top of your real target. In summary: Holding both works perfectly for casting spells, won't be any better than just Attack Move Click (again, haven't had time to try that more than once, so I might be wrong) for autoattacking.

Additionally, I don't see any reason to run in circles to avoid minion aggro. If there are enough enemy minions that one can break off, I simply lead it into tower range. This gives me a quick, easy CS while avoiding all damage (except maybe one caster minion attack). It takes so little time that you won't usually lose any CS.

On a different note, what do you do on red side? You keep talking about doing golems first, but you can't choose to be on blue side. Should you do gromp on red side, or just ignore it?

A quick tip I have related to "How to ADC" is to start with Vayne if you can't ADC. I used to be even worse at the role, but after a couple dozen Vayne games I finally learned some mechanics. All her spells are single-target, so you can ignore skillshots while you're learning. Her tumble also makes it easier to practice dodging enemy skillshots, and condemn forces you to consider positioning. Additionally, her W makes it easy to take down tanks so you aren't as tempted to go for the other carries. I'm sure YOU don't care about this :p but it helped me a lot.

Last comment: tower diving isn't that hard. You don't have to be really really reeeeeeeeaaally far ahead to dive; you can even be behind. If Alistar dives into the enemy team he can cc most of them, and he'll be the only one taking turret aggro at all (which will only do a couple hundred damage against most tanks). This can take the enemy off guard and lead to their collapse. Basically, there are times to siege and times to dive; it's not 97% siege and 3% dive.

Overall, a super guide: It's nice to have something that explains how to play a role as a whole, including overarching things like how to freeze lane (I learned a couple new things even though I had the basics down) and how to teamfight. I might just try to get actually good at ADC, especially now that I know about Attack Move Click. IMO Target Champions Only is at least as important - I STRONGLY recommend you include it in your guide. Thank you work all the hard work you put into this guide!

(Why do all of your images say Vapora Dork?)
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | March 25, 2016 11:29am
Not at the moment, but it might be something I add further down the line.

Janna's fine though, personally she's my favourite support to have by my side as Tristana. :)
1
[-]
Kemii | March 25, 2016 9:49am
Do you have a list of Support synergies?
I team up with a lot of tristans and I'd love to know what champions would be best with alongside her. Generally I just go with Janna as shes my all around main, but I'm sure there would be a better pick out there for Trist.
1
[-]
Vynertje (386) | March 23, 2016 10:06am
I'm going to be lazy with coding/quoting here.

First part:

I mostly agree with you here. The way I see, Tristana is one of the best champions to pair with a level-2 spiking support (Nami is actually not too bad here if she can land bubble, her damage at low levels is pretty insane) becuase it means you can jump on the enemy ADC's face, all-in him and reset on your W either through E-stacks or kill. If they exhaust you, your support should obviously do the same.


"generally I don't feel like that's too important to know because it's often hard to tell exactly how many minions' worth of XP you missed when you arrive late, and I don't consider it an issue because I can tell just by looking at my XP bar how close I am to levelling up anyway,"

Don't fully agree here. I think it is really important to know when your enemy is going to hit level two (it's not only useful from your own perspective), which is something you can only know from counting the minions and knowing exactly how much xp is required to hit it. If it's hard to estimate how many minions the enemy missed, you should generally play it safe instead.


"Personally I don't think it changes even with strong lvl 1 supports..."

I completely agree that generally speaking, it is optimal to split experience. However (and I'm not saying you should include it in your guide because you probably shouldn't), you can cheese the enemy if you know you can't win a level 2 push war and try to fight them when you're level 2 and they are all level 1. I can imagine some scenario's in which that might be the way to go, but that might take it too far. Again, this is nitpicking just to say that not splitting does not have to be terrible.


"Maybe it's badly worded, I just meant that they're worse at forcing kills than all-in supports, so more focused on creating HP advantages through trades and developing CS leads from it."

Yeah I figured that was the case, but indeed badly worded. Generally Lulu/Nami lanes have significantly more pressure than i.e. Alistar/Thresh during levels 1-5, having double ranged in early game is massive.


"That section was based on stuff I noticed about pro ADC's..."

I think it is a very interesting discussion. I would personally argue that lower rated games are much more chaotic, therefore maybe making it more viable to keep buying potions for a little bit longer. It could also very well be that I'm talking from a support's perspective where it may be more beneficial to have a potion for when you get poked down (as a support is usually part of the frontline). But yeah, my conclusion would indeed be that it is subjective whether you find the use for that extra potion.


"I think all this is kinda too focused on general teamwork and what your jungle and support would optimally be doing, I'm not sure how much place it has on an ADC guide. :P I already have enough trouble micromanaging my team to do simple things such as "all rotate to x lane", "all go do baron", etc. I'm just trying to give readers ideas of what their options are at that stage of the game as it's a common question that's asked about ADC."

I understand this perspective. However, the reasoning for adding all of these comments was because I think these nuances should be understood in order to make the right decisions. My criticism is that the sections highlighted simplify these kinds of decisions down to something of a "one size fits all", which obviously is not the case.

In order to make the right decisions as an ADC, you also need to grasp decision making from other perspectives. For example, I think it should be understood that after taking bot tower you cannot effectively rotate and attempt to take mid without setting up proper vision. That indeed is hard to coordinate with a random team, but calling to rotate mid when you do not fully understand the details may backfire. In certain situations it may be better to just keep pressuring bot and set up vision around that side of that jungle.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | March 23, 2016 8:13am
Vynertje wrote:
“Before you even get into lane, you should know that Tristana is an ADC with a fairly weak laning phase.”

In general I feel like this section downplays Tristana’s power spikes. A lot of effort is put into explaining and encouraging passive play in difficult matchups, but Tristana has a number of power spikes that can be used to turn difficult matchups. Her level 2 is pretty strong, especially considering she should almost always get level 2 first due to her E. You did mention this, but I do feel like the general tone leans towards passiveness. Her level 6 and BF-sword spikes are pretty strong as well.

It's hard to talk about her power spikes and when she's strong and what not because it's super matchup dependant. Like you mention her level 2 being pretty strong, but it's super situational because if your support is someone like Nami or Janna and you Rocket Jump in 1v2 you'll get exhausted and out-traded and possibly have to Flash out because you're so deep. And yet if you can't Rocket Jump then you're laning with just 1 spell, so it's no different to her lvl 1, except if trades are already going in your favour then you can go for the Rocket Jump during Explosive Charge. It's a lot more viable a strat (and therefore gives Tristana a much stronger lvl 2) if you have someone like Leona or Alistar who are going to be in there deep right alongside you at lvl 2. And even that Leona Tristana dream team always disappoints me when I want to all-in at lvl 2 and Leona misses Zenith Blade so I'm back to laning with just 1 spell. Tristana's lvl 2 in general is denied really hard by Exhaust because it makes it impossible to get full stacks on Explosive Charge (and the "max damage" would be cut in half anyway) and therefore denies a Rocket Jump reset.

If you think there's something I'm overlooking in that aspect please do point it out, otherwise I should probably just specify that in the guide. And you're right about the other power spikes, I'll make a note to mention that as well.


Vynertje wrote:
“As soon as you get into lane, whether you did the golem start or not, you should immediately start spamming auto-attacks on the minions, starting with the melee minions, to push faster than the enemy bot lane and therefore be able to hit level 2 faster.”

Correct, but I think that if you want to explain this strategy to its fullest you should also consider the risk of ‘overpushing’, i.e. when you push so hard you push the wave into the tower, wasting your level 2 power spike. The idea is that you push just a little bit faster than your enemy (unless you’re a push/poke champion like Caitlyn) and then be able to engage off of it.
Also, if you’re the one playing a low-ranged lane into a lane of high-range level 1 bullies, you may want to give up that level 1 push and try to farm under tower instead. Fighting a level 1 push war that is already lost from the matchup can turn out to be pretty bad.

Agree with everything, will add that too.


Vynertje wrote:
“When you get into lane you'll always be hitting level 2 before the enemy bot lane”

I may have missed it, but I think you didn’t mention after how many creeps you level up:
If you didn’t take a camp: after full first wave and 3 melee minions of the second wave.
If you did and did not miss a single creep: after first 3 melees and 1 ranged minion
If you missed one melee creep: either after the full first wave or after the first melee minion on the second wave, can’t remember :/

It's probably worth mentioning anyway so I'll make sure to add it, but generally I don't feel like that's too important to know because it's often hard to tell exactly how many minions' worth of XP you missed when you arrive late, and I don't consider it an issue because I can tell just by looking at my XP bar how close I am to levelling up anyway, so I just ignore the whole "how many minions" rule.

I was referring to the camp start though, I just realized that you also mentioned no camp start and yes it probably is useful to know that it's after the 3 melee minions of the 2nd wave, as that very rarely varies so it's good to keep it in mind.


Vynertje wrote:
“If your support mistakenly leaves you with 100% of the XP, it's no big deal either, but Tristana is one of the worst ADC's for being level 2 while her support is only level 1”

Depends a bit on the support you’re paired with because some supports are REALLY good at level 1 (bard!) and do not really need that level 2. In general I agree, but there are some nuances in which it can give you a window instead.

Personally I don't think it changes even with strong lvl 1 supports, getting the most out of Tristana's lvl 2 requires her to go into melee range of the enemy ADC and support, and even without being Exhausted that's a pretty bold move if your support only has 1 spell's worth of backup. Maybe if paired with an Alistar Flash Pulverize or the likes, but then that's such a specific course of action (and not even up to you unless you have good communication) that I think it's just really down to whether the ADC and support in question are good enough to think of that kind of thing. Generally I feel like if I were to try and abuse a lvl 2 power spike like that I'd mostly just die or blow summoners getting away, so even if it is the support's fault I'd rather not advise readers to try and do that. :P

Vynertje wrote:
“With other more passive, trade-focused supports, such as Janna, Nami, Lulu”

They are indeed more trade-focussed but by no means more passive

Maybe it's badly worded, I just meant that they're worse at forcing kills than all-in supports, so more focused on creating HP advantages through trades and developing CS leads from it.


Vynertje wrote:
“After 2-3 backs you should stop buying Health Potions, because at that point the winner/loser of the lane will have pretty much already been established.”

I don’t agree, I think a potion is pretty useful to have to pop in a fight or to avoid having to back in painful situations. After 2-3 backs you should still only have roughly 1k hp and IMO at that point potions still have value. Generally speaking, I agree that you should stop getting potions at some point but I disagree with the point you’re suggesting.

That section was based on stuff I noticed about pro ADC's, that the amount of pots purchased per game was a lot lower than what I used to do in season 5 and earlier on in this season. The example I used in the guide was Imp, who across all the games I checked had a very low number of pots purchased, and another notable one that I took example from was Bang. The ADC I look up to the most, Forg1ven, actually averages 2 Health Potions per game, one with his Doran's Blade then usually one more on his second back. Some games he never even purchases any more pots after lvl 1. And this guy is the most lane dominant player there is. You could argue that maybe he can just afford to put himself at that disadvantage because he's good enough to make up for it, but given the decrease in pots purchased by most other pros I checked I take it to mean that pots aren't as good a general purchase this season as they were in the last because of the price increase (which is definitely true to some extent), and are therefore not worth spending gold on after your lead/lack of lead has been established, and the value of regenerating 185 HP over 16.5 seconds becomes worse and worse as the game drags on as you develop higher in-built sustain and HP, as well as team-fights becoming mostly determined by bringing champions from 100-0 during the actual teamfight rather than through pre-fight poke (most prevalent in laning), where Health Potions would keep you healthy.

I would try to find more recent examples of pros purchasing few HP pots but probuilds is down right now, rip.

It's definitely hard to judge this as it's so subjective, but from what I saw when I was looking at pro ADC trends a few months ago, people were buying 3-6 pots per game on average, mostly on their 1st and 2nd backs. Looking back at my own season 5 games I think I bought just as many pots as the average player/pro, and I would get 2-3 per back if I had the gold/item slot, so I would have bought over 10 pots per game usually, and 10 alone is already 500g spent on pots. At least last season that would have only been 350g. I just don't think it's quite as good an idea to stock up on pots all game until you run out of item slots this season. The price increase to pots definitely had to affect their usage to some extent, and that's the extent to which I believe it affected it.


Vynertje wrote:
“you should buy a pink ward, provided you don't already have one placed on the map”

Even if you have one on the map, it doesn’t hurt to replace it or have one backup in case you need it. Generally speaking, low-Elo players will get one pink, place it somewhere and leave it there all game, even if it isn’t in a relevant place 10 minutes later. That’s basically the equivalent of not having one down.

Good point.


Vynertje wrote:
“You time it in such a way that once it kills the last minion, you need only attack the tower a single time to destroy it. You can then either go into the brush and recall or shove the wave before recalling, depending on how much you can get away with in the situation, and whether you need the gold or not.”

This describes a reset but not a full bounce. A bounce (that the wave starts pushing back to you) also requires that you hold the wave for a little bit (or that some enemy minions are left alive) so that the minions first clash closer to the enemy: this means their next wave arrives earlier, which then causes the wave to push because they kill the enemy wave before the next arrives.

Will make a note to add that.


Vynertje wrote:
Another option is to roam into the enemy jungle (support+jungle) while the ADC pushes the wave to get deep wards down. This can completely shut down the enemy jungler.

Vynertje wrote:
Would again like to stress the importance of getting deep wards down. This is not your task as ADC, but having support+jungle roam together to get these wards can be worth as much as the tower itself. It makes forcing plays and snowballing a lead so much easier.

Vynertje wrote:
To add, again just pressuring the enemy jungle and rotating towards lanes where the waveclear is not present can also help a lot. If you have full vision control over the enemy jungle, you will be able to rotate much faster than your enemy (especially considering high waveclear champions are often immobile) because they have to walk around their blind spots.
Also, unless you’re playing against a ticking-timebomb scaling champ you can also just continue starving them from buffs and jungle CS and extend your lead that way while taking each drake.

I think all this is kinda too focused on general teamwork and what your jungle and support would optimally be doing, I'm not sure how much place it has on an ADC guide. :P I already have enough trouble micromanaging my team to do simple things such as "all rotate to x lane", "all go do baron", etc. I'm just trying to give readers ideas of what their options are at that stage of the game as it's a common question that's asked about ADC.
1
[-]
Vynertje (386) | March 23, 2016 6:07am
Make sure to hit me up through PM when you have time, I might not read it here
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | March 20, 2016 9:06am

When do you get boots and their upgrades? No one's mentioning that so it may be that their timing is not as important as I thought but I'm quite interested about it.
I usually buy it at 1st/2nd back since being really slow irritates me quite a lot.

Sorry for the late response, I didn't notice your comment/forgot about it, hope you still see this somehow. :D

On Tristana specifically I get them earlier than on most ADC's seeing as she gets a lot out of attack speed and movement speed in regards to Explosive Charge, as it'll help her get more hits off. However, I only do it after I have B. F. Sword or at least Pickaxe, so never ever on my 1st back, sometimes on 2nd if I had a lot of gold on both backs. And they're less a priority than Zeal, I just buy them whenever I don't have enough for Zeal but I do have enough for Berserker's Greaves.


Eavick wrote:
Best guide I have ever seen. GJ

Thank you. :)




@ Vynertje: Thanks for the review, I did indeed find it helpful. There are some things I want to touch upon but I've been busy, I'll write a proper response soon.
1
[-]
Eavick | March 18, 2016 1:00pm
Best guide I have ever seen. GJ
1
[-]
Vynertje (386) | March 17, 2016 12:57pm
Some notes, enjoy.

“Before you even get into lane, you should know that Tristana is an ADC with a fairly weak laning phase.”

In general I feel like this section downplays Tristana’s power spikes. A lot of effort is put into explaining and encouraging passive play in difficult matchups, but Tristana has a number of power spikes that can be used to turn difficult matchups. Her level 2 is pretty strong, especially considering she should almost always get level 2 first due to her E. You did mention this, but I do feel like the general tone leans towards passiveness. Her level 6 and BF-sword spikes are pretty strong as well.


“As soon as you get into lane, whether you did the golem start or not, you should immediately start spamming auto-attacks on the minions, starting with the melee minions, to push faster than the enemy bot lane and therefore be able to hit level 2 faster.”

Correct, but I think that if you want to explain this strategy to its fullest you should also consider the risk of ‘overpushing’, i.e. when you push so hard you push the wave into the tower, wasting your level 2 power spike. The idea is that you push just a little bit faster than your enemy (unless you’re a push/poke champion like Caitlyn) and then be able to engage off of it.
Also, if you’re the one playing a low-ranged lane into a lane of high-range level 1 bullies, you may want to give up that level 1 push and try to farm under tower instead. Fighting a level 1 push war that is already lost from the matchup can turn out to be pretty bad.


“When you get into lane you'll always be hitting level 2 before the enemy bot lane”

I may have missed it, but I think you didn’t mention after how many creeps you level up:
If you didn’t take a camp: after full first wave and 3 melee minions of the second wave.
If you did and did not miss a single creep: after first 3 melees and 1 ranged minion
If you missed one melee creep: either after the full first wave or after the first melee minion on the second wave, can’t remember :/


“If your support mistakenly leaves you with 100% of the XP, it's no big deal either, but Tristana is one of the worst ADC's for being level 2 while her support is only level 1”

Depends a bit on the support you’re paired with because some supports are REALLY good at level 1 (bard!) and do not really need that level 2. In general I agree, but there are some nuances in which it can give you a window instead. Also sorry for not going in chronological order.


“With other more passive, trade-focused supports, such as Janna, Nami, Lulu”

They are indeed more trade-focussed but by no means more passive


“After 2-3 backs you should stop buying Health Potions, because at that point the winner/loser of the lane will have pretty much already been established.”

I don’t agree, I think a potion is pretty useful to have to pop in a fight or to avoid having to back in painful situations. After 2-3 backs you should still only have roughly 1k hp and IMO at that point potions still have value. Generally speaking, I agree that you should stop getting potions at some point but I disagree with the point you’re suggesting.


“you should buy a pink ward, provided you don't already have one placed on the map”

Even if you have one on the map, it doesn’t hurt to replace it or have one backup in case you need it. Generally speaking, low-Elo players will get one pink, place it somewhere and leave it there all game, even if it isn’t in a relevant place 10 minutes later. That’s basically the equivalent of not having one down.


“You time it in such a way that once it kills the last minion, you need only attack the tower a single time to destroy it. You can then either go into the brush and recall or shove the wave before recalling, depending on how much you can get away with in the situation, and whether you need the gold or not.”

This describes a reset but not a full bounce. A bounce (that the wave starts pushing back to you) also requires that you hold the wave for a little bit (or that some enemy minions are left alive) so that the minions first clash closer to the enemy: this means their next wave arrives earlier, which then causes the wave to push because they kill the enemy wave before the next arrives.


“If your jungler successfully ganks you should ping him to help you take down your tower.”

Other options are good too. You can also just ask him to help you push so you can get a super quick base (if you’re low and want to base asap), because staying for a tower may cause you to get a terrible base timing yourself. Another option is to roam into the enemy jungle (support+jungle) while the ADC pushes the wave to get deep wards down. This can completely shut down the enemy jungler.


“rotate mid and try to gank and kill the enemy mid laner if possible”

Would again like to stress the importance of getting deep wards down. This is not your task as ADC, but having support+jungle roam together to get these wards can be worth as much as the tower itself. It makes forcing plays and snowballing a lead so much easier.


“Your options in these situations are to engage on the enemy team under their tower, which only works when you're reaaaaaaaally far ahead, or go get baron.”

To add, again just pressuring the enemy jungle and rotating towards lanes where the waveclear is not present can also help a lot. If you have full vision control over the enemy jungle, you will be able to rotate much faster than your enemy (especially considering high waveclear champions are often immobile) because they have to walk around their blind spots.
Also, unless you’re playing against a ticking-timebomb scaling champ you can also just continue starving them from buffs and jungle CS and extend your lead that way while taking each drake.
1
[-]
airbornefilip | February 13, 2016 6:43pm
When do you get boots and their upgrades? No one's mentioning that so it may be that their timing is not as important as I thought but I'm quite interested about it.
I usually buy it at 1st/2nd back since being really slow irritates me quite a lot.
1
[-]
LicensedGnat | February 11, 2016 11:34pm
Um just a cool interaction with fervor for battle tristana can stack it up the the passive explosion on her her 'e' and as it counts as an ability it gives 2 stacks.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 23, 2016 1:56am
Updated masteries text, added a lot more stuff, still got 9 other points from my to-do list to add when I next have time, one of which is a matchups chapter but I'll save that for last cuz it's the longest. Rest is just adding extra text in parts where I either forgot to say something noteworthy or didn't explain myself well enough.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 18, 2016 1:32pm

Is thunderlord's still the mastery for tris, or is fevor of battle better now?

Nope, Fervor of Battle is indeed better now, thanks for the reminder to update that. :)
1
[-]
kagaeDrakon (1) | January 18, 2016 10:23am
Is thunderlord's still the mastery for tris, or is fevor of battle better now?
1
[-]
StealthHD (3) | January 16, 2016 2:38pm
Exceptional guide! Informative, clear and formatted well. I especially like how you incorporated aspects of playing ADC such as attack move.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 8, 2016 5:12am
VexRoth wrote:

It is possible I missed it, but I didn't see this talked about in the guide, which is that I tend to avoid getting early critical strike chance on Tristana as it can really screw up your last hitting IME, which already comes with some built in issues due to the passive on Explosive Charge. So no crit in my runes and if I have a choice between a Brawler's Gloves and a Dagger, I'll opt for the dagger, until I'm ready to complete Zeal and already have a couple of damage items.

I don't consider this an issue big enough to affect your desire to buy crit chance. I do prioritize Dagger over Brawler's Gloves just because Tristana does well with attack speed early on, but you shouldn't be trying to avoid crit. You can buy it as early on as after Pickaxe if you can afford Zeal but not B. F. Sword (which would be the case if you got Pickaxe+ Dagger on your first back).


Alright, so, whatever reason, I was stuck with ADC in a game, and since I had no clue what I was doing, I picked Tristana and was slightly ****ting myself since I never played her, just saw a pentakill of hers earlier that day. I was like, "hey, I've got this great guide service right at my fingertips," and I decided to look at it, and needless to say, I kinda **** myself less.

And yeah, after a while, I kinda felt guilty for not praising the guide because this was like, the first instance I used a guide in ages... so... here I am.

Good job! This is a great guide. I especially liked how it was more of a general ADC guide than purely just a Tristana guide, as it's excellent information will linger on in my future ADC games where I have the off chance to play ADC.

Thanks! :) I figured to play a specific ADC well you have to actually know how to play ADC, so yeah it ended up being 80% ADC, 20% Tristana.
1
[-]
HiFromBuddha (82) | January 7, 2016 5:58pm
Voted +1
Alright, so, whatever reason, I was stuck with ADC in a game, and since I had no clue what I was doing, I picked Tristana and was slightly ****ting myself since I never played her, just saw a pentakill of hers earlier that day. I was like, "hey, I've got this great guide service right at my fingertips," and I decided to look at it, and needless to say, I kinda **** myself less.

And yeah, after a while, I kinda felt guilty for not praising the guide because this was like, the first instance I used a guide in ages... so... here I am.

Good job! This is a great guide. I especially liked how it was more of a general ADC guide than purely just a Tristana guide, as it's excellent information will linger on in my future ADC games where I have the off chance to play ADC.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 7, 2016 5:47pm

HEY I'VE HEARD YOU GOT CARRIED BY A DIAMOND 5 ZYRA MAIN SUPPORT IS THAT TRUE

Nope.
1
[-]
ANGRY MIRFALL | January 7, 2016 5:44pm
HEY I'VE HEARD YOU GOT CARRIED BY A DIAMOND 5 ZYRA MAIN SUPPORT IS THAT TRUE
1
[-]
VexRoth (39) | January 6, 2016 4:29pm
It is possible I missed it, but I didn't see this talked about in the guide, which is that I tend to avoid getting early critical strike chance on Tristana as it can really screw up your last hitting IME, which already comes with some built in issues due to the passive on Explosive Charge. So no crit in my runes and if I have a choice between a Brawler's Gloves and a Dagger, I'll opt for the dagger, until I'm ready to complete Zeal and already have a couple of damage items.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 6, 2016 2:06pm
TheExfear wrote:
Damn... i imagine how much time you spent doing this.

It's been a WIP since April. :)
1
[-]
Thundercles | January 6, 2016 1:44pm
Voted +1
Such indepthness! Thanks for the fantastic guide.
1
[-]
Hi im Shinra | January 6, 2016 10:15am
Voted +1
Well done, i really appreciated the part about adc in general.
Keep it up :)
1
[-]
TheExfear (2) | January 6, 2016 4:15am
Voted +1
Hey. Very detailed guide and i like it !

I really like the How to Adc part, 'cuz its practically not how to adc, but how to play League... :D
Damn... i imagine how much time you spent doing this. Really nice guide, everything in its place.

GG WP


, wish you make more something like this
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 5, 2016 6:02pm
Another noteworthy update, I added the mastery chapter and the explanation for Rapid Firecannon seeing as I now know the next patch won't be out for another week at the very least. The mastery chapter is pretty ugly for now, I'll ask Janitsu to fix that for me when he wakes up. :^)

Not-so-noteworthy, still been adding some more text in some areas.

In other news, 30k views and 30 comments. I love synergy, woo!

1
[-]
FalseoGod (315) | January 5, 2016 5:27pm


????


I wrote something but then realized it was based on something I misread and mobafire won't let me delete the comment uu it leads me to the "fragged" page, and since I'm too lazy to read your guide and provide feedback you got a blank post.

Sorry, but I blame the site
1
[-]
Latest Legend (120) | January 5, 2016 5:07pm
yes
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 5, 2016 5:01pm
FalseoGod wrote:



????
1
[-]
FalseoGod (315) | January 5, 2016 2:53pm
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 5, 2016 1:17pm
1
[-]
winston gergill (19) | January 5, 2016 1:01pm
Voted +1
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 5, 2016 10:08am
Just made a small update; main thing is I added the Playing Under Towers subchapter under How To ADC, the rest is just generally adding some more information in random places wherever I felt there was more to add while re-reading. I'll probably keep doing that over the course of today.

Wish I could remember all the things I think to add in-game after I'm done playing. ;-; I know there's so many more things I could write about but I don't remember what.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 5, 2016 7:53am
utopus wrote:

If you make the team fighting section similar to the laning phase section (you add pics showing good positioning vs bad positioning) I think your guide will place first in the ADC category

I don't think it's necessary, it's a lot easier to figure out what good positioning is in teamfights; as far back as you can be while still in range to auto-attack the nearest target. Really straight forward, as soon as you hear it you know how to apply it. Lane positioning isn't quite as simple to explain through text so that's why I needed to use screen-shots to explain what I meant.


utopus wrote:
I think your guide will place first in the ADC category

As if I'm aiming that low. :^)
1
[-]
sipiripi | January 4, 2016 7:34pm
Voted +1
Take a +1 and thanks for the time you gave to this... It would help a lot.
1
[-]
Re4XN (45) | January 4, 2016 4:05am

Now I'm waiting for those two *****es who downvote guides for reasons that do not make sense to me at all.


"Didn't liked it, it turns out to be....confusing I must say." comments incoming.
1
[-]
TheSilverDust (45) | January 3, 2016 8:15pm
Now I'm waiting for those two *****es who downvote guides for reasons that do not make sense to me at all.
1
[-]
gamesavor | January 3, 2016 6:53pm
Voted +1
great guide, helps with other champs too. thx man :) keep it up
1
[-]
TheSilverDust (45) | January 2, 2016 7:31pm
Voted +1
1
[-]
LimitlessHavoc (21) | January 2, 2016 4:43pm
Epic ADC guide for a ADC newb like me x)
1
[-]
MrMad2000 (37) | January 2, 2016 2:34pm
Voted +1
1
[-]
Joxuu (326) | January 2, 2016 1:14pm
Voted +1
1
[-]
utopus (306) | January 2, 2016 11:23am
Voted +1
If you make the team fighting section similar to the laning phase section (you add pics showing good positioning vs bad positioning) I think your guide will place first in the ADC category
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 2, 2016 11:01am
VexRoth wrote:

E.g. a table that shows what each movement type command does

Move
Attack + Move
Attack + Click Move

Tables are 3complex5me, I just write **** man.


VexRoth wrote:
But I just bound it to A and it is much more natural to me (my pinkie is more limber than my index finger and I am used to A for Attack Move).

If you're already used to it and feel comfortable with it then there's no reason to change. For me when I wanted to start using attack move, A was just soooo awkward to press, I decided to try binding it to T as even at that time it felt more natural, and I got used to it really fast so I've found no reason to change it. It was never a common problem for me to accidentally press R, and right now I'd say it only happens to me like once every 200 games. I often accidentally press Y as you mentioned when I'm placing my hands back on my keyboard, but I only have my hands off the keyboard in the first place when I'm in situations like walking to lane, where it doesn't have any negative effect.


VexRoth wrote:
I'd also suggest taking a gander at Agoney's Vayne guide. It tackles some topics about Vayne and ADCing in ways that might stand your guide in good stead.

I certainly will. Any content I can steal take inspiration from is helpful!
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 2, 2016 10:54am

You better win that contest with this.

It's all up to the judges now. *Glares at Psi (who I think is judging)*



Note that in the laning phase section, when you're talking about golems, you say the support gets 4 Health Potions at start. You noob :^)

Damn, do they only get 3 now?


You may want to mention it's also possible to bind attack move on click to the left mouse button if you're a full smart caster.

Technically true, but then you can't left click enemies to check their stats or items. I'm sure there's a lot more viable bindings for attack move, I just list the T binding because I personally can't imagine a more convenient place to bind it. Everyone's free to explore and find a binding they feel suits them best.
1
[-]
VexRoth (39) | January 2, 2016 9:52am
Voted +1
One of the more complete ADC guides I've read.

I do feel like some of the sections are overly verbose. Not that I mind reading a lot, its just I feel like they could be more concise.

E.g. a table that shows what each movement type command does

Move
Attack + Move
Attack + Click Move

As that would look a little cleaner and be a nice preamble for anything more you might want to say about each command.

Though I do appreciate you hitting that topic as I've been meaning to implement it in my game play. I've found I can't do T (I tried for 3 games and shot my ult into everything except enemy champions) and somehow I keep locking my camera when I have Attack + Click Move bound to T. Bad news when the camera starts following you around in an unexpected way during a team fight, skirmish, or duel. But I just bound it to A and it is much more natural to me (my pinkie is more limber than my index finger and I am used to A for Attack Move).

I'd also suggest taking a gander at Agoney's Vayne guide. It tackles some topics about Vayne and ADCing in ways that might stand your guide in good stead.
1
[-]
Re4XN (45) | January 2, 2016 9:40am
Voted +1
Pretty cool guide. Some sections had a lot of text, but I guess there is really no other way around it. Have a +1, kind sir!
1
[-]
Latest Legend (120) | January 2, 2016 9:15am
Voted +1
You better win that contest with this. Best guide I've read since season 3.

Note that in the laning phase section, when you're talking about golems, you say the support gets 4 Health Potions at start. You noob :^)

EDIT: You may want to mention it's also possible to bind attack move on click to the left mouse button if you're a full smart caster.
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 1, 2016 7:18pm
1
[-]
Embracing (349) | January 1, 2016 6:44pm
Voted +1
1
[-]
Luther3000 (440) | January 1, 2016 6:29pm
Voted +1
it sucks and so do u
1
[-]
Vapora Dark (475) | January 1, 2016 5:36pm
Malin wrote:

WOW i love the "how to adc" part, I'm still a bronze 5 when it comes to adc and i think that this will help me tons!

That was the intention. =) Thank you!
1
[-]
Malin (34) | January 1, 2016 5:24pm
Voted +1
WOW i love the "how to adc" part, I'm still a bronze 5 when it comes to adc and i think that this will help me tons! Everything looks neat :D
1
[-]
Janitsu (504) | January 1, 2016 5:15pm
yes it's great gl hf