Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

No real point in making guides on this site

Creator: cooper56 December 16, 2011 2:55pm
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 2:41pm | Report
Mordekaiser is numer uno!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 2:42pm | Report
Yes indeed, people just need to wisen up ;P

jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 3:01pm | Report
I'd just like to say, wins aren't everything. For example, I would like to tell you guys about BarbJ. Now, he leveled to 30 on Co-op vs AI, if you read his blog, you would see he's only just venturing into solo queue normal games.

Does that mean he knows nothing about the game? Quite the contrary. He started LoL by watching the pros, reading guides and practicing his favoured champions through co-op vs ai. Not sure if you guys have noticed, but co op vs ai is actually almost like a normal game (albeit with ******ed bots). Frequently there is someone jungling, top is solo, and bottom lane is actually a support and an AD carry. While of course an ai game will never be as hard or realistic as a PvP game, you can still learn the mechanics of a champion there.

BarbJ mains supports. Alistar, Soraka, Taric etc. It wasn't until I hit level 30 and had 250 wins under my belt before my team composition had supports in it. And here's Joes playing supports in co op vs ai.

I don't know if you all quite recall, but BarbJ also made a Mastery Guide here which was very detailed and talked about the usefulness and the statistics each mastery point gave, coupled with specific items.

Just because he didn't have 1000 wins in PvP does not mean he doesn't know the game. I've played against opponents who have 1500 wins, against my 500, and they were bad. Why? Because they literally had 1450 loses too. I'm positive 40, not something to be impressed about. But would anyone here claim I didn't know enough about Ashe to give a scout point away for Ashe? :/

tl;dr wins don't mean anything. If we based this site off wins, a lot of the top guides would have to be taken down. I only have 500 wins. But does that make me a bad player?
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 3:03pm | Report
He's probably pretty bad, but he is every bit as entitled to the guide making portion of the website as everyone else is.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 3:10pm | Report
lol, thanks for the vote of confidence :P What I was trying to say is, even though he may not have 1000 wins in PvP.net, that doesn't mean he doesn't know nothing about the game. Even my sister, who's not level 15 knows that Ahri is a caster not an assassin, which is apparently more than Riot knows ;)

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 3:14pm | Report
Anybody can know something about the game. If you know Wit's end deals magic damage, you know something.

This is really all perspective at this point, I have a high standard when speaking about skill levels and always have. I'm the type to facepalm when watching streams and tournaments because I usually expect more.

It's just my nature.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 3:21pm | Report
^exactly. And if we can pick up on the mistakes pros make, isn't that a sign that we know as much as them, at least on the surface? We may not be able to reenact pro builds/combos/jukes etc, but we can learn from watching what they did right and wrong.

♡ sig by me ♡
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 3:42pm | Report
I think there's a disconnect between potential to be good and actually being good.

You may know I give lessons all the time and I never tell the guys they are good unless it's true, but I always remind them we all started somewhere and they have the potential to improve.
Joobieo#41288
<Member>
Joobieo#41288's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 4:35pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

I'd just like to say, wins aren't everything. For example, I would like to tell you guys about BarbJ. Now, he leveled to 30 on Co-op vs AI, if you read his blog, you would see he's only just venturing into solo queue normal games.

Does that mean he knows nothing about the game? Quite the contrary. He started LoL by watching the pros, reading guides and practicing his favoured champions through co-op vs ai. Not sure if you guys have noticed, but co op vs ai is actually almost like a normal game (albeit with ******ed bots). Frequently there is someone jungling, top is solo, and bottom lane is actually a support and an AD carry. While of course an ai game will never be as hard or realistic as a PvP game, you can still learn the mechanics of a champion there.

BarbJ mains supports. Alistar, Soraka, Taric etc. It wasn't until I hit level 30 and had 250 wins under my belt before my team composition had supports in it. And here's Joes playing supports in co op vs ai.

I don't know if you all quite recall, but BarbJ also made a Mastery Guide here which was very detailed and talked about the usefulness and the statistics each mastery point gave, coupled with specific items.

Just because he didn't have 1000 wins in PvP does not mean he doesn't know the game. I've played against opponents who have 1500 wins, against my 500, and they were bad. Why? Because they literally had 1450 loses too. I'm positive 40, not something to be impressed about. But would anyone here claim I didn't know enough about Ashe to give a scout point away for Ashe? :/

tl;dr wins don't mean anything. If we based this site off wins, a lot of the top guides would have to be taken down. I only have 500 wins. But does that make me a bad player?

All valid points , but I'll ask you this, who are you more likely to take knowledge from and actually care to retain the information being thrown in your direction. A college football sophomore or a NFL player whose been in the league for 10 years.

See what I'm saying ?

Now don't get me wrong some players have played this game with 300 ish some normal wins or whatever and can climb to high elo and have massive knowledge of the game but how often do you think this happens ?

Not trying to stir anyone up or push anyone's buttons but just food for thought.
Current Solo Q Elo = 1405+
Active United States Marine
Malzahar - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Kassadin - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 4:58pm | Report
Joob, I understand your point and yes, that's a good way of looking at it, but the thing everyone seems to be missing is that there are no 2000 elo players who are willing to spend copious amounts of time on MobaFire.

And even if there were, who's to say they're correct? Which is better, Tiger or Phoenix Udyr? I'm sure many pros disagree with either. Who's the best jungler? Should Warwick lane or jungle? Is straight CDR Rumble better than AP Tank?

Even pros will disagree with each other. In the end, the system we have now is the most effective as it's going to get. A jury of 6+ scouts have to agree to scouting a guide for it to be featured.

As of right now, only two guides are featured, and the system has been out for longer than a week.

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide