Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Why don't more AP builds include Haunting Guise?

Creator: Latnemele May 3, 2011 12:49pm
1 2
Latnemele
<Member>
Latnemele's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 12:49pm | Report
Combined with Sorc boots, and pound for pound I would think HG would yield more damage throughout most of the game. This should be especially true for the less AP efficient champions, like Brand.

Haunting Guise
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 12:55pm | Report
It works really well for Fiddlesticks, Annie, Kennen, or any AP champ that starts out squishy and has ok to decent AP ratios. I always get it on those three champs, and get it on Karma if I'm doing offensive shield bursting a lot. It's a really underrated item in general, but combines well with Sorcerer's Shoes, or can be used so that you can get other boots when the situation calls for it.
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 1:11pm | Report
I get it a lot very early. Most people don't have it in their guides because it is quite fail late game in comparison to other good AP items. It is very awesome for early-mid game though.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 1:22pm | Report
Usually, people build into Void Staff late game when sorc shoes aren't enough, so it becomes kind of a waste. However, if you need an early game advantage and you know the game won't be pushed on longer, then by all means get one, just don't make it a staple item.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 4:31pm | Report
What Trojan said.
Google has a job title called "Head of Black Community Engagement"..
I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. or both.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 11:03pm | Report
It doesn't really build anything.

Haunting Guise is like a cheap version of Rylai's
Health, AP, and a useful passive.

It's cheaper, and therefore, holds less end-game value.
Buying it only to re-sell it later is usually not very viable.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 4, 2011 9:47am | Report
That's what I say about Doran's items. I never get them because they don't build into anything. They become useless quicker than a Haunting Guise would.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Lif3l3ss
<Member>
Lif3l3ss's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 5, 2011 2:06am | Report
doran items are cheap and give you a early game advantage its what the items are if i am doing decent early game ill usually grab a 2nd doran item the extra hp from doran items really helps against ganks ya doesnt sound like much but it really is and if you get say 2 doran items and boots and enemy laner i only do this in solo lane btw don't usually do it in side lanes mainly because say you have 2 doran items and they have 1 item and boots bam instant advantage now you can play aggressive and even go for kills forcing the enemy out of lane so now your forcing them out of lane you can now farm freely and they get behind this can happen over and over untill they decide to either get another item to help deal with you or get the item they were saving up for by this time you got a bigger item cause free farm and possibly a kill or so so your still ahead this will be this way throughout the entire game now your a free farmed solo lane whos gonna be able to deal with you? unless your team feeds its not possible. yes might not look like that big of a deal but what you can do with 2 doran items that early in the game can set the pace of the game. the game is yours you win.. now if you dont have a good start and you have multiple doran items then yes its gonna hurt you..
k now too the actual subject of the thread so sorry lol you know i have never even used the haunting guise it is of no use to me i use magic pen quins and reds and then sorc boots and masteries the time haunting guise is good is early-mid game the passive on the haunting guise is **** at this point with the the magic pen you already have even if you are not running MP quins set up nobody isnt gonna have that much MR too where it is even going to matter yes the hp maybe nice and some AP now your gonna spend 1k more gold on and item that gives you 10 more AP and 100 more hp then just buying another doran item because the passive on guise this early in the game doesn't matter its overkill and thats why people don't get it and grab Void staff later in the game because thats the only time extra magic pen is gonna matter this late in the game haunting guise is **** so overall the item really has no use for the money your spending on it. you can buy 3 doran rings for the price of a haunting guise not saying you want to do this but why buy a haunting guise when its worse then just buying 3 doran rings...
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 5, 2011 7:12pm | Report
i use haunting guise quite often when i play cassioepia. I actually included it in my guide. It's a great item with pretty good stats for only like 1435. Very cheap imo but yes it does eventually need to get replaced and a lot of people don't like having to spend extra gold
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 5, 2011 10:29pm | Report
@animorte

Contrary to Doran's items, Haunting Guise isn't cheap enough to be purchased at level1.
Doran's Items are cheap enough to stack.

Haunting Guise building directly interferes with building other items.
While when you buy Doran's items, it's because you can't afford any of the more important items, so you invest in Doran's in hope it'll give you the edge you need to get kills so re-selling the Doran's item later isn't a big deal.

This gives Doran's items more usability and utility then Haunting Guise both early AND late game.

Haunting Guise =/= Doran's Items. Don't compare them.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide