Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

My ideas on a new scouting system

Creator: Vynertje June 12, 2013 12:46pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Would you like this idea?
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 12:46pm | Report
Hello everyone!
As of recently, there have been a few arguments going on about scouting, and I have a few ideas and I thought to share them with you.

First of all, I think it is quite obvious the scouting system could use a rework. There is no standard to when +scout points are given and many of the scouts are inactive or just not really bothering to hang around to scout all the new guides. Besides that, the scout forums seem to be completely dead (even though I can't verify myself because I'm <150 rep).

Personally, I think a huge part of the problem is the lack of motivation for some scouts to be active. This is most likely caused by them not being a scout voluntarily but based on their +rep points. On the other hand, many members that are actively 'scouting' around the new guides section, are not scouts themselves because this, again, is reputation based.

This causes a lot of people who are actually willing to scout, to be unable to have any major influence on the whole scouting process while some people are scouts even though they are not interested in being one.

So, I recently came up with the idea to make the rank of scout not reputation based anymore. This would allow the people who are actually good at scouting, but not able to get the 150 rep, able to actually get this rank and be of great use to the whole mobafire community.

To execute this idea, we would need a new set of scouts. My idea would be the following:
Step 1: We assign someone as a 'host' of the scouting forum. This person would have the lead over the process of getting the new scouts in function. He/she would become some sort of a 'moderator' or 'host' for the scout forums.

Step 2: In this stage anyone interested in the role of scout can apply. We could set some minimum requirements in terms of posts (activity) and rating (skill/knowledge).

Step 3: In this stage we filter the applications and narrow them down. This could be done by the 'host'.

Step 4: If we have too much applications, we could have a small 'election' on the forums, in which we assign the people we thing best suited to this role.

Step 5: We should end up with about 5 up to 10 scouts who are all really motivated to work on this project. This group should set up a standard format to work with and to set the standards for future guides. This could be like the format JhoiJhoi sugggested.

PLEASE VOTE ON THE POLL SO THE ADMINS CAN SEE :)
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 1:03pm | Report
Np, i mass-rep you so you can scout soon. =3

Sig made by Tamy
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 1:06pm | Report
Meiyjhe approves
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Janitsudude

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 1:13pm | Report
Some of my thoughts:

- Role specific scouts. I'm quite knowledgeable about the support role, and I know a bit about the other roles, but imo not enough to be able to give proper scouting advice. I think it'd be a good idea if people can say: "I have x ELO and I main role y." Ofc it can be multiple roles, but you can easily see that from their ranked stats in their in game profile.

- Scouts should apply instead of be auto-promoted at x rep. You can look at post count, rep count, whether or not this person has a review service, elo, etc.

- Scouted guides still need more ways of showing they are THE BEST mobafire has to offer. I currently have no idea how that should be done, though.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 1:13pm | Report
To continue what you said in the other thread, it's highly unlikely Matt will ever make the system related to rankings. As I recall someone already suggested in the past that scouts be restricted to gold+ and received a large majority of support but nothing ever happened.

In the past many people have made attempts to improve the system both from within and without and so far they've all given up. There seems to be just a general lack of motivation and a feeling that no one really cares anymore.
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 1:14pm | Report
decent idea. as you said the scouting scene seems kinda slow/not functioning. not saying that the current people who are active scouts aren't doing their job but clearly there just isn't that much scouting going on.

I agree that it shouldn't be rep related only. rep can be obtained in a number of ways. doesn't necessarily mean you are skilled in the game enough to be a good scout. like myself.

how about actually paying the people who do a good majority of the work around here outside of the programmers? I mean...if their wasn't good guides on the site no one would come...and since the majority of the guides are from the community, not pros who get paid, why not pay the scouts to review them and get the good guides in front of people. that way the site looks better and brings more people to it...which leads to ad viewing etc. this would motivate people to want to be scouts and motivate them to do what their title suggests.

just some thoughts.

Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 1:28pm | Report
@ Pheyniex & Banana

<3

@ Icecreamy

Role specific would be a good idea, but we would need lots of people to get a full scout team that way. 5/10 scouts might not be enough in this scenario.

And yeah, applying is exactly my idea.

@ Luther

That is why I hope to be a first, with an idea that does not hurt the mobafire ideals but still improves the quality. I don't see a single reason why they wouldn't change the current system.

Basically I just want to get this idea some attention from the admins so at least something happens with it.

@ Bioalchemist

Paying seems a bad idea to me, and will most likely cause people to do it for the money, instead of because they like doing the community work, and helping people out. (Which is why I am in for it)
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 1:33pm | Report
^ I appreciate your dedication to a community. but that only goes so far with the vast majority of people especially when the task requires copious amounts of time. given your extensive guides though clearly you are not the average joe when it comes to dedicating your time to the community. kudos for that :)

Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 1:37pm | Report
I am sure that there will be some people willing to help me as co-scouts if we could get it that far. Besides that, when I have finished my exams, I will have tons of free time to lead this project if people want me to run this initiative.
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 1:45pm | Report
Guys, please leave this poor dead horse alone already! Moba mods have made it clear that they're adamantly digging in their heels in overhauling the guide function. They obviously get the traffic they want and they don't care enough about Moba reputation to make a real effort to fix anything. Instead, they just marginalized user submitted guides in favor of 'LCS builds' and high elo guides.

Nothing will change for the positive, it's Moba's trademark
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide