Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

My ideas on a new scouting system

Creator: Vynertje June 12, 2013 12:46pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Would you like this idea?
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 10:44am | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

I don't remember voting whether the united states would be a democracy or not either. Funny how that works.

You say you want people to vote on a new system. For one, you're putting your trust in the same pool of people that's responsible for ****ty guides being upvoted. Two, permanent C2V is often requested by quite a few members of the community and most people seem confused as to why it isn't in place. This feature was responsible for some of the worst score inflation and essentially a majority of Mobafire's bad reputation. And people want it back for some reason.

So basically we've established that the Mobafire community isn't capable of making all the decisions because quite frankly a lot of people are stupid. That's why we have admins structure the site and decide on what improvements and changes to make. The future of Mobafire affects them a lot more than us.

I also find it hilarious that you're supporting a dictatorial approach to scout election in the name of democracy. Instead of having a hundred people support a community member's promotion, you'd rather have one person just pick a bunch of people. I hope you see the irony there.

Also, nothing is "bringing us down as a guide site." Mobafire has had problems with guide quality for a long, long time. It has still grown to be the biggest League of Legends community there is. No other fan site compares in size. Mobafire has improved a lot over the couple years I've been around, including the foundation of the very scout system we're discussing. The reason why Mobafire is so successful is that it places a lot of power in the hands of the average member. Anyone can write a top guide, anyone can cast their vote on other guides. Everyone matters. That's the thing the admins want to keep, rather than just adopting solomid's guide filtration which clearly works better than ours.

I don't mean to flip out at you but when you paint the admins of this site as a bunch of devious dictators, it's just disrespectful and ungrateful. If you really thought that, you wouldn't bother sticking around. This isn't a country, it's a website which you're free to leave at any time. Obviously they're doing something right. I don't agree with all of the staff's decisions but they care a lot more about the community than you seem to think.

I can see you misunderstand. I don't agree with the idea being proposed. I just think the whole idea that mobafire is a democracy isn't a good enough reason to keep things the way they are. We can definitely improve on things if we just change them. A simple change would be to give players with a high enough confirmed ranked division (maybe plat or diamond) a little more voting power. Somebody who is reliably more knowledgeable about the game than the general populace should have more say on what is and isn't good. It doesn't make sense for this not to be put into place. You can make them scouts (although I think someone should have to request to be a scout, have enough posts, and have a high ELO to be one) or you can just gives them the voting power of two people, or you can just find another way to, but giving knowledgeable people more power doesn't sound like a bad idea. Especially because it would hardly even change how things work, but guide scores might better reflect their content.

Also I didn't say it was a dictatorship, I was pointing out that Jhoijhoi's constant banging on the democracy drum sounds ludicrous. I don't really know why I didn't type that, but it was 4 AM where I am and I most likely forgot/thought I had. Honestly looking at wht I typed I'm pretty confused, because it isn't what I wanted to say at all. I like the admins and I like mobafire. What I don't like is that particular defense of the system, and that was all I meant to say, and not at all what I said.

I see I left all of this out of my last comment, and as this comment is actually bigger than my first, that made my comment make a lot less sense.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 10:56am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

@ Bioalchemist:

A good way to make money (without requiring anything from MobaFire) is to add video's to your guide. The vids I made for my guides have been watched over 130k - which can make good youtube money :)

was not aware of this. nice. that makes me feel better for you and other good writers.

Thanks to Hogopogo for my signature!

PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 11:08am | Report
MyRepublic wrote:
Also I didn't say it was a dictatorship

"As it is it seems more like a dictatorship that pretends to be a democracy, and clings to the ideology of a democracy only in order to maintain its footing."
0________________________________________________0

I read the rest of your post but I don't feel like responding because this topic has been discussed to death in the scout forums. People have brought up weighted voting and it was shot down.
Thanks to Lugignaf for the sig!
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 11:34am | Report
^I'm sorry for bringing this up, then. Problem being that I have no access to these forums so I didn't know ;-)

PS: Doesn't undo the fact that I still disagree how the whole scouting stuff works right now
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 5:33pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

"As it is it seems more like a dictatorship that pretends to be a democracy, and clings to the ideology of a democracy only in order to maintain its footing."
0________________________________________________0

I read the rest of your post but I don't feel like responding because this topic has been discussed to death in the scout forums. People have brought up weighted voting and it was shot down.

Ah **** I meant to delete the part where I said I didn't say it was a dictatorship and write "I didn't mean to say it is a dictatorship". When it's 4 AM and you've been up 20 hours and are operating on 5 hours of sleep sometimes you write something and you're like "yup, that sounds perfect." Then you read it the next day and you're like "Well that just... that's just not even in the ballpark of what I was trying to say." I really need to start proofreading as well. That sentence shouldn't have been left in.

Also I know it has been discussed already, I was telling you what I was actually referring to with my post. Almost any idea has been discussed already which is why threads like these don't really accomplish much. I usually wouldn't even comment in them, because they're redundant at this point, but I was really bored.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 5:40pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:

^I'm sorry for bringing this up, then. Problem being that I have no access to these forums so I didn't know ;-)

Stop pushing a promotion. We understand that you want to help out. A great way to help out would be to actually read the posts in this thread and write a summary of the ideas. Show that you have actually comprehended what actual scouts have been saying.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 10:56pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Stop pushing a promotion. We understand that you want to help out. A great way to help out would be to actually read the posts in this thread and write a summary of the ideas. Show that you have actually comprehended what actual scouts have been saying.

This was not about a promotion. I want to make a change to a failing system and thats all.

I think its a shame that most of you guys are being too conservative to be wiling to change stuff that obviously is not working out.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 11:09pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

A great way to help out AND PROVE TO US THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO CONSIDER PRIOR IDEAS would be to actually read the posts in this thread and write a summary of the ideas. Show that you have actually comprehended what actual scouts have been saying.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2013 2:38am | Report
Everything that has been said or suggested by people, has not contributed to the main problem. It seems like you're all denying that the problem is just that some people need to get off their lazy *** and start doing what they are scout for.

Simply having a good format, vote decay and such are only minor things that do not end up solving the problem at hand. The problem does not even have to do with that: we need to CHANGE.

IF we want to get scouting back to work, you need motivated people, and for that, you need to have people apply for it, instead of having them being assigned the role while not having the motivation.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2013 3:14am | Report
So you're saying it's a problem that users are being assigned to the role without having applied for it, but at the same time those people are lazy for not actually doing what they didn't sign up for? :/

Vyn, again, you're not the first to have mentioned this and you're not the only one who has shown that he cares about the system in general. Please stop acting as if you are, it's quite frankly very disrespectful. I'd elaborate on the discussion held in the Scout forums, but I'm on my phone right now, it's rather inconvenient. Will edit / post again later. Just know that, even with the best intentions, it's not that easy to change the system while staying true to Mobafire's philosophy of everyone being equal and having the same chances/rights.

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide