Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

What AP Mid Laner would make my life easier?

Creator: SOAC Bas February 3, 2014 11:52am
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 2:24pm | Report
khaoshizon wrote:

His(her?) options are actually pretty solid. Since coordination and communication is not too great in Bronze to Silver divisions, you can use this to your advantage. AP Tristana has the capacity to 100 -> 0 a champion pretty quickly, then Rocket Jump away to safety. This is normally doable since the positioning of the AP and AD carry won't be too good (let's just say it isn't) and the rest of the team will chase you after you've jumped away. The same with LeBlanc. With Syndra, she deals very good damage and if you can determine when it is better to cast your Scatter the Weak, pre or post Unleashed Power to either get a secured stun kill, or stun the whole team can change team fights.

Just stick with 1 or 2 champs to get out of that division. I was able to get out of my Silver rut by just playing purely AP Kog'Maw.

Good luck!

I do still disagree with AP Tristana pick since she offers nothing to the team after she has used two skills in the teamfight. Unless she wants to go balls deep with Rocket Jump which will quite likely mean that she is going to die. Ap Tristana is about cleaning up but not really carrying.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Darealone
<Member>
Darealone's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 2:32pm | Report
Janitsu wrote:

and Gragas :p

Just try him. He is a simple pick up. As someone who is still extreme n00b he was an easy pick up. His abilities allow you to last hit really easily (especially his Drunken Rage) and you can't really go wrong with his ult...unless you really just mess it up. Just...just play him...he's fun...easy...and his skins are awesome.
I main...the entire top lane.
I miss: Tank Rengar top, AD Nidalee, Mash Keyboard Ryze...the OPs
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 2:36pm | Report
@SOAC Orianna can easily kill squishies from a longer range than Zilean and she has strong CC (her q is 825 and her ult radius is 400, meaning you could nab someone at least 1100 units away as opposed to 700). IF you can double bomb one of their squishies, you might kill them...but you're ignoring the fact that you have to put yourself in range of their front line every time you try, which they can easily punish you for given how squishy Zilean is. Nidalee has more range with her burst (though requires more skill to land it) and her kit is more versatile, in general.

The problem with Zilean is that everything he can do (with the exception of his ultimate), someone else can do better and, often, more safely.
SOAC Bas
<Member>
SOAC Bas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 2:52pm | Report

@SOAC Orianna can easily kill squishies from a longer range than Zilean and she has strong CC (her q is 825 and her ult radius is 400, meaning you could nab someone at least 1100 units away as opposed to 700). IF you can double bomb one of their squishies, you might kill them...but you're ignoring the fact that you have to put yourself in range of their front line every time you try, which they can easily punish you for given how squishy Zilean is. Nidalee has more range with her burst (though requires more skill to land it) and her kit is more versatile, in general.

The problem with Zilean is that everything he can do (with the exception of his ultimate), someone else can do better and, often, more safely.

I am not disagreeing with you at all Bard. I agree that in terms of longer range and stronger CC (debatable at best)she is great. I just don't see how she is a good solo queue champ. She is a defensive mage who is highly dependant on team mate follow up. Zilean's farm is as fast, his damage is slightly higher, and his ustility in speed up and Ultimate are much better. I agree that he is near pointless at hitting that back line which is why you dont' see him alot, but that's not his job in team fights. It's putting pressure on the front line so they have to back out faster, and protecting the adc.

Again this doesn't mean either of them are great solo-queue champs.
Podcaster and producer of community driven content - sittingonacouch.com
LevasK
<Member>
LevasK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 3:14pm | Report
SOAC Bas-I recommend Tristana over Veigar, because Veigar is extremely easy to gank,has little to no kill pressure pre-6,can't roam,has hard time picking people off and while Tristana does automatically shove the lane due to Explosive Shot she can use Rocket Jump and/or Buster Shot to run away from most ganks if need be.She can easily roam to other lanes to salvage them or just to get even more fed.She has the ability to pick people off really easily over terrain or even extremely long range with Flash+ Rocket Jump.

Syndra-Is a very well rounded mid laner that has great poke/CC/burst in her kit and while she may be rather immobile if used correctly that would not be an issue.

Lissandra-If you feel like you lack damage you can just get Deathfire Grasp on her. I recommended her,because she is decent at roaming,has lots of utility built into her kit as well as great potential for picking people of or just signalling your team to pile onto a priority target with Frozen Tomb.Try running a Teleport on her and she becomes a solo q terror.

The best champions for solo q in general are the ones that have one or more of these qualities:
Snowball hard
Can effectively roam
Can make plays (generally with there CC such as Command: Shockwave Explosive Cask ]
Can create picks
Can kill or remove priority targets before or during teamfights
Can split push efficiently
Have massive AoE damage
Scale reasonably well into mid/late game

These are decent guidelines for picking champs to carry in solo q.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 4:00pm | Report
I'm kinda partial to Veigar myself, but he generally gets screwed by champions who can dash - makes it harder to hit your stun and your full combo by extension - like LeBlanc and sometimes by champions that have long range and high damage like Ziggs or Syndra. And though it might seem intuitive to build magic resist or even a Quicksilver Sash against him, an early Zhonya's Hourglass on most enemy AP laners actually tends to grant immunity to his full combo, especially if you Hourglass during his ult.

I would say Ziggs is your best option at the moment, judging by your requirements. His only problem is mana, meaning he pretty much needs that Chalice of Harmony/ Athene's Unholy Grail. Your Malzahar choice can be pretty decent as well, particularly given this current tanky meta.

I like Orianna too if Ziggs isn't available, but I think for a soloqueue, a Lux is a moderately strong pick as well. Her MS might be torturous, but a full rotation of her spells can cripple an enemy team. Another champion I think has seen some success is actually Morgana. The first few levels are hard to last hit with just autoattacks, but the W thereafter pretty much means the enemy can never touch you.

Annie is still strong laner as well, with some strong teamfighting ability and a Karthus could be possible in soloqueue, particularly if you focus on farming and picking up assists/kills in the side lanes.

Karma is a solid pick in laning, but she can suffer the same problems as Orianna and I also believe (though not 100% sure on this) her damage falls off later into the game (someone verify or disprove me?).

A final mention is Xerath, who sees a fair amount of play in higher elos, it seems.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 4:09pm | Report
I'm probably biased but Xerath is stupidly good at low elo because of his AOE and his stun, (which is actually really easy to land). Also he seems to be really good agsinst assassins early game.

Basically MOBAFire.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 4:11pm | Report
Was gonna question why no one mentioned Annie or Karthus, but then sirell did. Also I agree with Xerath, I'm sure people in bronze will rage over being oneshot from such long range :P

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 4:34pm | Report
Mid lane Annie seems to have taken a dip since her prominence in support. It's probably why she's overlooked a little.
SOAC Bas
<Member>
SOAC Bas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 4:54pm | Report
Okay so based on our my stringet restrictions, the following champs seem to highlight the lists.

1). Ziggs
2). LeBlanc
3). Orianna - I dont' see it,but I can keep trying
4). Lissandra - Same as Orianna
5). Xerath
6). Twisted Fate - This was mentioned by our podcasters as a great choice if you can make to ganking phase.
7). Morgana - Can she really carry? She is a safe pick, but can she carry?
Podcaster and producer of community driven content - sittingonacouch.com

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide