Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Doubt about MOBAFIRE guide ranking. Help!

Creator: White Cr0w March 3, 2015 2:28am
NateKiller
<Member>
NateKiller's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 6:59am | Report
White Cr0w wrote:
Admins, you should take a look into this ASAP. It demotivates creators a lot, and make us feel that the effort we put on improving/creating guides with updated content are pointless.

Yep, the guide ranking system is pretty aweful. I prefer the old one by a mile. At the very least you'd get a quality guide at the top even if it were somewhat out of date. The newer system is also a good reason why my own guide is archived. Seeing small voted(and often bad) guides at the top sapped all motivation. No idea why someone would prefer this one over the old system.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 7:39am | Report
Yeah, it's one of the reasons that I've procrastinated a guide so long that I don't even play the champion that much any more and it's a whole new damn season with a whole new jungle and newer itemization. The few chapters that I've actually written have basically gone to waste.

Less new guide coverage, broken voting system and negligible scouting system literally crippled half the reason I joined MOBAFire as a consistent member. I remember back in the day when I would literally go through every single new guide that came out every day. Now even if I were to go back to my guide review shop, I have no motivation whatsoever to go through guides.

It's not just demotivating for guide writers, but for reviewers also.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 7:47am | Report
sirell wrote:
Less new guide coverage, broken voting system and negligible scouting system literally crippled half the reason I joined MOBAFire as a consistent member. I remember back in the day when I would literally go through every single new guide that came out every day. Now even if I were to go back to my guide review shop, I have no motivation whatsoever to go through guides.

It's not just demotivating for guide writers, but for reviewers also.

I 100% agree with this. One very major problem for me was that they no longer had the new, scouted and rising guides on the front page anymore. It meant two things: 1. New guides don't get as much attention as they used to 2. It's a lot harder to just have a quick look at new guides than it used to in order to scout them.

For example, my Rammus guide got only 2 votes in the first two weeks (which is what it is still at, but that's due to it being a semi-serious guide) whereas my Nami guide (which was released prior to the changes) had 20+ comments and about 5-10 votes in the first 3-5 days. That definitely isn't only because the one guide is a lot more basic than the other, it also has a lot to do with exposure overall.

For me the overall lack of exposure means that I'm really hesitant to start a new guide project. It's also the reason I have been procrastinating the warding (video-) guide to the point where I doubt if I ever am going to finish/release it.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 8:05am | Report
Yea....it's pretty dumb when you have to spam for guide reviews to get any publicity at all. I didn't bother finishing a guide I had intended to write for the contest for this reason. I also found it really hard to bother finishing my Karma guide as well for similar reasons.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 8:06am | Report
Your warding guide and Karma is probably in the same spot as my Leona guide. Procrastinated into oblivion.

Never thought I'd see the day where I actually preferred the older system after having complained about it for so long. How ironic.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 8:11am | Report
My Karma guide exists, not that it's been seen much, it's the Braum guide that hasn't ever managed to happen. xD

it's probably better this way, I don't even like Braum that much and I'm not particularly good at him
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 9:24am | Report
I have to say I'm a little surprised by the negativity surrounding this topic, mostly because I've always considered the new system a huge improvement over the old one and because most discussions I've seen about this topic in the past were focused on some pretty specific edge cases (like Vapora's example at the bottom of page 2).

I'm more than willing to look into ways to improve this (there should be a lot of variables we can tweak), but I'll have to discuss with Mowen which changes have already been discussed or made first, as truthfully my knowledge on the matter is rather lacking (haven't been too closely involved regarding this subject in the past).

The changes to "new" and "rising" guides showing up on the front page is another topic entirely; I'll be sure to mention that as well and see whether it'd be possible for those to be added again (no promises though).

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
NateKiller
<Member>
NateKiller's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 9:28am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:
I've always considered the new system a huge improvement over the old one

C'mon Wayne, Ray Charles could see these rankings aren't accurate. Why, in your opinion, is it better?
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 9:54am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:
I have to say I'm a little surprised by the negativity surrounding this topic

FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 9:58am | Report
NateKiller wrote:

C'mon Wayne, Ray Charles could see these rankings aren't accurate. Why, in your opinion, is it better?

He probably means now you can't have a really outdated guide resting on it's previous success because it got so many upvotes it can't be taken down even if it's no longer accurate. It also gives new guide writers a chance to rise to the top, but this rise is waaaaay too facilitated.

I think guides should not be able to pass a certain threshold until they get at least 10 votes or something (unless they're up to date, then they could topple outdated guides)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide