Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Community Spotlight - Mowen

Creator: Meiyjhe November 23, 2014 10:47am
1 2 3
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2014 10:47am | Report
Image by: R4GE

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

After a community spotlight break, we come back with a very special interview for a very special person doggie: Mowen, the legendary community manager who was the first to grow from a normal member to a full glorious red admin. This interview was produced by the veterans of MOBAfire. The plan is that we will produce interviews again each month. If you have a suggestion for next months interview, please PM me so my fellow veterans and I can make your suggestion come true. But enough about that, let's hear from Mowen!

1. "What do you think attracts people to Mobafire? In your opinion, what differentiates this community from the LoL community in general??" -FalseoGod
    I think a lot of users originally came to MOBAFire looking for help themselves, so they are more understanding of new players. MOBAFire’s members put a lot of time and effort into making resources to help other players, and because of that they’re very ingrained in the community. I’ve heard many times that people prefer MOBAFire because of the great community we have here.
  2. "Which upcoming MOBAFire project are you most excited about?" -Icecreamy
    Personally I love the badge system and love expanding upon it. It’s so great to see people excited about getting a badge and so many people throwing out suggestions for new badges. I have so many ideas for new badges and how to better incorporate them into the site, and I hope that we can see some of them in the not too distant future.
  3. "What was it like to be the first moderator on mobafire to be promoted to an admin?" -Meiyjhe
    I was honored. I still am today. It’s been amazing to me how far I’ve come with MOBAFire. I would have never expected anything like this to happen when I first signed up.

It was weird transitioning at first. A lot of people on MOBAFire played games with me or were friends with me before I became admin. It was hard to gain the respect of some members that had been on the site longer than me, and just saw me as another member instead of an authority. People still wanted me to bring their concerns to the admins previously in my role when they didn’t agree with my decisions, but as I grew more confident in my role it was easier to let them know I was top dog now (woof!).
  4. "What are some interesting or funny stories of your time around mobafire?" -Vynertje
    Well one time it was not communicated to me that the image size required for the new champ area on the front page had changed. When I uploaded the image for the new champ (Elise) using the old image size it looked something like this inside the New Champ box:

And then Matt and FlashJ called me a pervert… I told them I just knew my target audience.
  5. "In your opinion, what was the best thing to happen to MobaFire (excluding your promotion :P)? -Jhoijhoi
    I would say the guide ranking change that happened a while ago. Now that recent votes are what affect guide ranking on toplists, the playing field is much more even. Guides with 1000 votes can no longer be an immovable object, and new, more up to date, guides can overtake them. I think this change did a lot to help keep good, up to date, guides at the top of lists, and give new guides a chance to shine.

6. "How many reports do you field a day? .... and why did you start playing ap Janna top?" -Nighthawk
    I don’t handle many reports now that Wayne and PsiGuard are admins, and it tends to fluctuate. We tend to get at least one a day, but I’ve logged in and had 10 reports open. I’d say between 1-4 per day is average.

Something to remember though is it depends on the type of report how long it takes. If someone’s advertising kitchens, that’s a pretty quick resolution. If someone reports another for vote cheating or there’s an argument in a thread that’s 10 pages long… well that can take a while to investigate fully.
  7. "What was your first impression of each vet *cough* mainly me *cough*, and why is that dog your staple avatar?" -Bryun
    The dog is my avatar because my boyfriend’s father showed it to me and went “he looks like he’s about to talk.” I thought it was a pretty great photo. Also, Bull Terriers are my favorite dogs, I hope to own one some day.

Now… the first part of your question will take a bit longer…

MissMaw
    Always seemed very helpful and nice. Has a great graphics shop. It’s hard to say my first impression because I got to know her a lot better by playing inhouses with her. She can be pretty hilarious with her sarcasm. She may come off the wrong way when she’s critiquing a guide, but it’s only because she’s very passionate about quality guide writing.
    Meiyjhe
    Super nice and friendly to EVERYBODY! Which is impressive. He’s a hard worker, as you can tell by his guide review shop, Banana / forum awards. I think he’s one of the most positive members for the forum community with his dedication to rewarding those who contribute to the MOBAFire family.
    Janitsu
    At first he seems like a goofball, but he’s actually a really nice and helpful guy. I’ve seen him help just about anybody, anywhere: guides, support forum, new player questions, Q&A, artists forum, you name it. He’s also trying to slowly infiltrate every other –fire site and get Veteran on all of them. I’m onto his game. It’s rare to find someone so involved in every facet of MOBAFire.
    Luther3000
    First impression was that he argued with me about the right to tell someone to pull a rod out of their ***. That admittedly wasn’t a great first impression. However, after getting to know him better he is very passionate about keeping up with the scene and the ADC role. When he decides to post a blog, guide, or comment, he puts a lot of effort in to make it the best. He’s my bro after playing so many games with him / all our long conversations.
    Lugignaf
    Lugi has always been incredibly helpful and nice. I saw him helping out in the support forums and database forums all the time, which at that point in time he was one of the only people doing so. He’s always been very polite and rarely rude, which combined with his helpfulness has made him an awesome MOBAFire member. It’s also rare to find someone so in love with Maokai!
    IceCreamy
    Super nice and #1 database editor. Ice is ever vigilant for database changes and opportunities to compliment people. Like PsiGuard, I can say I’ve honestly never seen him be rude to anyone. He is always super positive and cheers others up. Also, his hair is totally rad.
    Wayne3100
    I didn’t know Wayne very well until I started playing in the EUW server. Sure I knew he was a crazy awesome database editor, a nice guy and looks good in a tux, but that’s about it. When I started playing on EUW I got to know Wayne a lot better after he messaged me “So why do you hate me?” I was pretty shocked to say the least, but I convinced him I did in fact, not hate him, and we became fast friends. Wayne is always fun to play with and talk to, doesn’t lose his temper, and is pretty hilarious. He is very careful and precise with his words and with his work, because he wants to make sure people get the most out of them. Also, he has #1 voice EU, confirmed by strawpoll (and by my opinion, which is obviously the most important).
    Jhoijhoi
    I always knew jhoijhoi was a super passionate and hard working person. Even though she got picked on for the first guide she made (just because she was newer to the game then) I could tell she put a ton of effort into it and cared a lot about making it as good as it can be and stood up for her. This has shown through in all her work on the MOBAFire. She’s been involved in just about every facet of the site, and worked hard to try to bring her, and others, ideas to life. We may have bashed heads at times, but I always knew it’s only because she’s so passionate about MOBAFire and about her ideas.
    Toshabi
    You may think Toshabi is a jokester and doesn’t take anything seriously, but you’d only mostly be right. While he does pride himself
    in being the MOBAFire class clown, he does legitimately care about MOBAFire and its members, and I have seen it, WITH MY OWN TWO EYES! He’s also my artist buddy on MOBAFire, and I’ve always liked talking to him about art and animation, both of which he’s passionate about.
    Bryun
    My first impression of Bryun was that he was nice and helpful and good at Akali. While those things are still true, I’ve found that he’s also very passionate about teaching and getting to know the MOBAFire community. He’s been a huge help with inhouses, and he’s really fun to talk to and play with.
    PsiGuard
    Psi is quite the diplomat. He has a way with words, and even before he was a mod was good at calming down people and diffusing what could’ve been a bad situation. He’s always been one of the most positive, polite, and respectful member of MOBAFire. I don’t think
    I’ve ever seen him even vaguely insult someone, and he always sticks by his principles. He also puts in a ton of effort with his many high rated guides and review shop. I am amazed by his work ethic.
    Vapora Dark
    So i herd u liek Talon? Talons on Talons on Talons on Talons. Did I mention Talon? Yes this is my first impression of him, the man loves Talon. Besides this he contributes a lot to forum discussion and Talon guides. The Talon aura around him clouds my view of his other accomplishments, and leaves mostly Talon.
    The_Nameless_Bard
    Nameless is very nice and helpful. She’s one of the members that has shared with us the most about herself, and that has helped her connect with so many MOBAFire members and made MOBAFire a more lively place to be! She’s very understanding of other people’s troubles and always willing to spend her time helping others, as you can see from her guide review and sig shops. She also always entertains me with her constantly changing sigs that I can’t help watching over and over.
    Vynertje
    Vyn has always been an extremely passionate person. He garnered the attention of the other members by making a long write-up about the state of scouting (before he was a scout). He is very willing to state his opinion even if it disagrees or critiques somebody else’s, because it is that important to him. He may come off as harsh, but he truly cares about helping others, as you can see from his “Ask a Diamond” series and scouting discussions.
    caucheka
    caucheka was actually the first Veteran to help me. I asked a question in the New Player Help, which I don’t remember now, and he’s the person that helped me. He was a Veteran when I first joined the site, so his tenure is pretty impressive to me. caucheka is also very willing to state his opinion, which has driven discussions in Off Topic many a time.
    Nighthawk
    Nighthawk was always very talkative, chiming in on the forums for just about any conversation. He’s also very generous. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else offer so many gifts to MOBAFire members. He’s brightened a lot of people’s days, including mine! He gave me Mafia Graves, which I was really jonesing for!
    OTGBionicArm
    I’ve always been impressed by how much effort OTG puts into his guides and blog posts. For a while he was one of the only users making interesting and quality blog posts, which made him stand out to me.
    I remember when he was streaming random games, that was quite fun. He has also always had a lot to contribute to forum discussions, for a plethora of topics, which has helped keep the forum interesting.
    Zeprido
    I always remember Zeprido as one of the friendly faces when I first joined the site. He was one of the first members I connected with and played with in-game, so I always think of him fondly. He’s another one of those people that are always nice and helpful, and never rude. You can count on Zeprido to be a voice of reason and for pleasant discussion.
  8. "How is it like to tie Toshabi in polls?" -Toshabi
    What can I say? I’ve poured so much blood, sweat, and tears into MOBAFire and I’ve managed to tie with Toshabi in the polls for who to interview next.

The world is cruel… the world is wicked…
  9. "When will we hear more about this comic / game of yours?" -Janitsu
    Aghhhh… I am actually constantly working on it, but it’s hard to find a good way to update people on it without divulging secrets or putting up super rough sketches! I hope to put more stuff on my DeviantArt / Tumblr about it, so if you happen to follow me there you should be getting some more info… eventually. :P

I do feel like, even though I still can’t draw my characters super consistently, I have gotten a lot better at drawing different faces, bodies and expressions from when I first started, which makes me happy.

Costume designs
    Fun times

And I wanted you to know I uploaded that second picture right now, just for you guys. :P

That was this months interview everyone. Next month we will have a new spotlight with another member and maybe even done by another member. Who it will be, I am afraid that that is a mystery... for now.

If you wish to look at some of the past interviews, there is a nice overview made within the spoiler below. If you wish to nominate anyone for a community spotlight, make sure to send message via PM to me(iyjhe) so that you might see your own nominee in the next months spotlight.

For this interview, I want to thank Mowen for taking your time answering questions and of course for all the help done so far. I also want to thank the veterans that helped to create this interview and R4GE for creating the banner. And finally of course, thank YOU for reading :D

Change is gooooood
Picture by: Janitsudude

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2014 11:24am | Report
the wait was worth it

[deleted]
<Editor>
oxide110's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2014 11:26am | Report
Cool interview

London is one hour ahead of the rest of England -Luther3000
R4GE
<Member>
R4GE's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2014 11:43am | Report
Good one, but the banner wasn't worth my blood and tears.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2014 12:24pm | Report
R4GE wrote:
Good one, but the banner wasn't worth my blood and tears.

You don't even know the veterans' struggle :^)

Mowen wrote:

He’s also trying to slowly infiltrate every other –fire site and get Veteran on all of them. I’m onto his game.

Always a step ahead you :*
IPodPulse
<Altruistic Artist>
IPodPulse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2014 1:02pm | Report
Wow great interview, I was waiting for Mowen's interview for a while now and the wait was worth it.
If you found me helpful give me some +Rep :)
Signature Shop!|Tryndamere Guide|Rengar Guide

Darkness is everywhere, but a light shines in Hogopogo's Signature Store! Go check him out!
TROLLing1999
<Member>
TROLLing1999's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2014 1:03pm | Report
Nice interview :)
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2014 1:12pm | Report
Was a nice read.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2014 1:28pm | Report
Mowen wrote:
The Talon aura around him butts my view of his other accomplishments, and leaves mostly Talon.

Naahhh, I'm pretty sure that's all there is to me, actually.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2014 1:57pm | Report
Great interview as usual. Always nice to learn something new.

I think that the new question system is pretty cool too by the way!
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide