Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Official Mobafire PC thread

Creator: Vynertje August 3, 2015 11:59am
541 posts - page 2 of 55
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 1:16pm | Report
Thanks!
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
BigBoxGamer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 2:24pm | Report
I wouldn't listen to him, the 980ti is better. The extra money for a 390x isn't worth it, you may as well just get a 290x and not waste the extra $100 since the cards pretty much match each other in heat. And, it's not stronger than the 980 after overclocking. He's just talking out of his ***. The 390x will easily push over 80 degrees as well, be careful as there is no room for overclocking with this card. At the end of the day, AMD's new GPU is a stripped down version of a 980, a poor man's 980 if you will. If there's anyone on this thread that is the most knowledgeable in PC building. It's me. Don't let bad product turn your experience into a horror story.

Short Term Goals: Silver/Gold/Platinum || Long Term Goals: Diamond/Master/Challenger
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 4:51pm | Report
I'm just going to repost it. I didn't post it here initially because, well, the thread didn't exist when I first posted it, but hey, here it is now. Alright, initiate copypasta.

Since we're on the topic of FPS...

I'd just like to start by saying that I'm mentally challenged when it comes to computers, so please bear with me.

I've been getting absolutely god awful FPS ever since the swap to the updated SR. In low action scenarios, like walking to lane and stuff like that, it runs at about 30, which I can definitely play at, so no hassle there. During actual laning phase, it sits around 15-20. Definitely not ideal, because the FPS lag sometimes causes inputs to be delayed, so I end up firing skillshots backwards or at least in an unintended direction. However, when a fight starts to break out, my FPS just drops right down. The little thingy in the corner says 2 FPS, and 2 FPS makes teamfighting absolutely impossible for me. Even small teamfights, like, a Talon could use Shadow Assault and my FPS will just spike down to 2 FPS for a few seconds. It's very difficult to play the game in this state.

So, since I'm mentally challenged at computers and have zero clue why this is, I've come here to whine about it (and hopefully get some advice). I went on that Can I Run This site, and my computer specs are more than enough to run the game, in fact, it passes the "recommended" part of it. I've also checked some NVidia thing that comes with my driver, and it says the optimal settings for League based on what I have is to run everything on the highest possible, yet I can't even run the game smoothly at the lowest graphical settings. Halp pls. Here's my specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Manufacturer: Intel
Speed: 3.3 GHz
Number of Cores: 4
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chipset: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Dedicated Memory: 1.0 GB
Total Memory: 2.7 GB
RAM: 4.1 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack: 1
Size: 64 Bit
Edition: Home Premium
Display Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Drive
Size: 511.6 GB
Free: 50.1 GB

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 6:24pm | Report
I run my game on low and then I up the map textures to medium, you should be able to run the game on all medium with your rig.
Short Term Goals: Silver/Gold/Platinum || Long Term Goals: Diamond/Master/Challenger
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 7:30pm | Report
For those with time on their hands and nothing to do I'm looking for a QHD/4K VESA 5ms- 27+ inches IPS monitor for less than 700 CAD. 144hz is not necessary but can be a bonus.

I'd just like to point out that the ms-ratings listed in screen specs are not to be trusted. The actual latency of a screen is usually not the listed number. They usually list the latency of a specific part, like the screen panel. Look for real tests where they have proper measurement tools to check the real numbers.
There are 8ms screens with lower latency than 2ms screens.
In short: don't look for low ms in the specs, look at latency/delay/input lag in reviews.
I've been getting absolutely god awful FPS[...]

I've also checked some NVidia thing that comes with my driver, and it says the optimal settings for League based on what I have is to run everything on the highest possible, yet I can't even run the game smoothly at the lowest graphical settings. Halp pls.

Haha, yeah, well there's your problem. Never use Nvidia's recommended settings.
Your PC isn't a powerhouse, but it should be able to run LoL at high framerates as long as you sacrifice some graphical fidelity. Your weakest part is the GPU after all. If you wanna upgrade anything then upgrade your GPU (then maybe RAM, 4GB is a little on the small side, but your CPU is plenty powerful enough for even demanding games).

So, you should learn a little about what different settings affect the framerate and which ones that you want to prioritize. Turn down the less important settings step by step until you have a framerate you're happy with. Then try that for a while to make sure it stays good even in the most demanding instances.
To start off I recommend turning shadows down. Shadows are usually a big resource hog that doesn't make much visual difference.
After that you should turn down "Effects". This will help significantly with the teamfights where lots of effects will be happening at the same time.
If you still have problems you can sacrifice AA (Anti-Aliasing).
And if that's still not enough you can give up some texture quality (which would be called "Character" and "Environment" in LoL, I believe). But texture quality is a last-ditch effort in my opinion, as it makes a large visual difference.
The moment a religious person unknowingly calls his own ways stupid: "And lol. I highly doubt you have magic powers. If you proved it I would believe you, but since you 'refuse to', I choose not to."
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 7:53pm | Report
The moral of the story is that the recommended settings any company puts forth is never right, because all large companies tend to trust test bench information too much.
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 7:59pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Haha, yeah, well there's your problem. Never use Nvidia's recommended settings.
Your PC isn't a powerhouse, but it should be able to run LoL at high framerates as long as you sacrifice some graphical fidelity. Your weakest part is the GPU after all. If you wanna upgrade anything then upgrade your GPU (then maybe RAM, 4GB is a little on the small side, but your CPU is plenty powerful enough for even demanding games).

So, you should learn a little about what different settings affect the framerate and which ones that you want to prioritize. Turn down the less important settings step by step until you have a framerate you're happy with. Then try that for a while to make sure it stays good even in the most demanding instances.
To start off I recommend turning shadows down. Shadows are usually a big resource hog that doesn't make much visual difference.
After that you should turn down "Effects". This will help significantly with the teamfights where lots of effects will be happening at the same time.
If you still have problems you can sacrifice AA (Anti-Aliasing).
And if that's still not enough you can give up some texture quality (which would be called "Character" and "Environment" in LoL, I believe). But texture quality is a last-ditch effort in my opinion, as it makes a large visual difference.

Oh sorry, I should've specified as well from the other thread, but I already do run everything on the lowest possible setting, and this still occurs.

Also, playing a game and paying more attention to it, it seems to have phases of completely smooth running for everything and phases of unplayable lag. I just played an ARAM for the Bilgewater event quests, and the game started off being absolutely unplayable. I opened task manager and turned off some background processes, and while it may be completely coincidental, that seemed to make my game run pretty much smoothly for almost the rest of the game (about a minute after closing some shtuff).

Also, something that works for a little while for me is the CCleaner thing that the Riot Support recommends for FPS troubleshooting. It's just a bit inconvenient though because doing so removes cookies and some other stuff.

I'll try fiddling around with settings for the next game. Usually I just leave everything to very low for the whole game, but I'll bump some stuff up if everything is running very smoothly, and see how it is.

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 8:08pm | Report
I have no clue why your computer is having so many FPS problems, you should just be able to run it. My specs are worse than your's and older as well, try running everything on medium with shadows off.
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 9:22pm | Report
I have no clue why your computer is having so many FPS problems, you should just be able to run it. My specs are worse than your's and older as well, try running everything on medium with shadows off.

Yeah, it's really odd. I tried feeling the PC to see if it's heating up too much or something, but it's as cool as a cucumber. Not the right way to use that phrase.

I tried turning it up to medium with shadows off, and it wasn't running horribly, but it was choppy. I turned the slider down to medium low with shadows off, and it actually ran pretty much fine.
Imma 'bout to end this man's whole career
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
ri]
Imma 'bout to end this man's whole career
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 9:43pm | Report
It should be better if you run character models low.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide