Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Triforce vs. Frozen Mallet

Creator: Jebus McAzn July 25, 2011 7:52pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2011 7:52pm | Report
Consider the many champs that you MAY have been considering Frozen Mallet on. Now take that item out and replace it with Trinity Force. Improvement or no?

Frozen Mallet only costs around 800 gold less than Trinity Force, but doesn't offer MUCH more. It gives 700 health compared to Triforce's 250, and 20 AD compared to Triforce's 30.

What else are you getting? A permanent slow, okay. But Triforce isn't exactly unreliable. You have a 25% chance to inflict a slow, which doesn't sound like much, but after just 2 attacks that's a 44% chance. After three, it's 58%. After four, it's 69%.

The point is, if you can land just a few attacks on a champ, you're more likely than not to inflict the slow on them. And on top of that, Triforce gives a TON more stats and a damage proc on top of that for less than 800 gold.

So why would you ever get Mallet? Who were the champions that may have bought mallet a few months ago? Kog'Maw, Teemo, Olaf, Master Yi, Udyr, etc. Now replace those items with a Triforce and see what happens.

Triforce Kog'Maw is getting very strong lately. He can really abuse the proc because of his ultimate and the movespeed helps immensely in teamfight positioning, and the AP doesn't hurt.

Teemo, not so much. You're a close-range DPS who's really squishy and who also does NOT spam abilities, meaning that Mallet may just be a better buy.

Olaf actually can do quite well with Triforce but sometimes opts for Mallet because you're building Atma's Impaler later on and you want to be tankier. Still, Triforce Olaf is quite possible.

Master Yi? Saintvicious's recent Yi guide incorporates Triforce. Alpha Strike+Triforce is super strong and with Highlander, you'll be spamming in teamfights. Triforce lets you push towers faster as well.

Triforce has been core on Udyr for weeks now.

In short:

Buy Frozen Mallet only under one or more of the following conditions:
-You're super squishy and you want the extra health, but you don't want to build purely defensive like a Banshee's.
-You don't spam abilities very often and you can't abuse Triforce very well.
-You WANT to build tanky because you're offtanking or you've bought an Atma's and Mallet is more cost-effective.
-Your attack speed is slow and you have a much smaller chance of getting the slow proc off.

Otherwise, do Triforce. It's just so much better.
nomad93
<Member>
nomad93's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2011 8:13pm | Report
i would almost always buy trinty force over FM only if im in that much need of heal.

most people who take trinty are AD champions who benefit greatly from its proc udyr, irelia, lee sin, GP, and more are all tankyish already and benefit greatly from its stats. The phage proc on trinty is nothing to worry imo. And the health that Frozen mallet give is not needed bc most of all people who get trinty get HoG and build omen along with that have enough health.

tl;dr trinty>FM in every possible way champs that get trinty benefit greatly from all the stats
XnMiller
<Member>
XnMiller's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2011 12:23am | Report
Idk about most players, but I would take a TF over FM most often. However, there are circumstances when I think FM is better. For instance, if you are using a build (kinda like my Tankyi), then the added health is more beneficial than the AP stats to upgrade Meditate or Alpha Strike. Obviously I do take an Atma's as well. Most people I believe will argue my build is terrible, but it has proven effective many times, and it is much easier to get a FM earlier in the game for me. I personally tried Saintvicious and I didn't care for it, maybe play style. All I know is the Tankyi seems to do better with the FM for now.

However, I will try a Triforce, I'll just need a replacement idea that gives me the AD and health I'm losing from the atma and FM.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2011 2:19am | Report
You can add to the mallet list:
If you dont have AP
If you rely on 1st hit slow (garen as example)
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Atarios
<Member>
Atarios's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2011 3:38am | Report
Ive never actually thought about this. >.>
Thanks Jhoi,Xenasis,JEFFY40HANDS for the Sigs ! :D
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2011 3:42am | Report
Very nice summary you got here. Totally agree. I'm not sure I'd sacrifice the perma 30% slow on your attacks as Kog tho, but the MS is indeed very awesome.
I gotta try on-hit Kog with Manamune and Trinity :3

Garen benefits greatly from a "Fatma" (Frozen Mallet+Atma) build since he needs the initial slow for his spin.
"Blizzard spoke thus; Thou shalt not BM. And the players replied Nay, I shall Play my hand with Lethal already on the board. And so Blizzard sent unto them this Brawl of Yogg, As a lesson for their sins of Pride and Greed, for he is the Prophet of Madness and RNG. On that day, the tavern descended into an era of chaos and darkness, until the weekend passed and everyone forgot all about it. Amen. Book of SMOrc, Verse 20, Chapter 4." - Feam T
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2011 8:44am | Report
DEWO: Triforce is still viable on champions who don't scale with AP or even don't have mana. A few stats are wasted, but depending on the champion, the item may still be worth your while.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 2:04pm | Report
Giving this a bump.
Rudmed
<Editor>
Rudmed's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 28, 2011 12:53am | Report
I personally used to frozen mallet on TF, but after someone suggested Tri-force I love it. I feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck, and it just more overall useful.

With frozen mallet= I slow every hit, but if they flash out of range I'm screwed. Now same situation with the tri-force I might acutally catch up to them, and finish them off.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 28, 2011 1:47am | Report
Well on TF Trinity is the obvious choice.
"every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning,"" - Colin Campbell
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide