Draven Build Guide by Deeer
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Draven - The Glorious Executioner
At first here's the story of Draven, I think everyone should read the story from the champion he want to play.
Unlike his brother Darius, victory in battle was never enough for Draven. He craved recognition, acclaim, and glory. He first sought greatness in the Noxian military, but his flair for the dramatic went severely underappreciated. Thirsting for a method to share "Draven" with the world, he turned his attention to the prison system. There he carved out the celebrity he desired by turning the tedious affair of executions into a premiere spectacle.
At Draven's first execution, he shocked onlookers when he ordered the doomed prisoner to run for dear life. Just before the man managed to flee from sight, Draven brought him down with a flawless throw of his axe. Soon, all Draven's executions became a gauntlet through which Noxian prisoners raced for a final chance at life. He used this trial as his own personal stage, and turned executions into a leading form of entertainment. He rallied onlookers into a frenzy, while desperate prisoners scrambled to evade him. They never succeeded. Rejecting the solemn, black uniforms of Noxian executioners, Draven donned bright outfits and developed flashy signature moves to distinguish himself. Crowds flocked to see Draven in action, and tales of his performances spread quickly. As his popularity grew, so did his already-inflated ego. He belonged at the center of attention. Before long, the scope of his ambitions outgrew the population of Noxus. He decided that the glorious exploits of Draven should be put on display for the entire world.
"The "best" is wherever I decide to set the bar each day."
Draven is the newest ranged AD carry, who joined the league.Stop reading now if you are new to this game! Draven needs Skill and he is very difficult to master.So just don't try it if you are new.
Wicked Blades is a really great passiv you can call it "mini ignite".It does 30 + (4 x Level) normal damage each hit with Spinning Axe (or with a critical hit) and it can stack!
Spinning Axe is the first and only godd*mn skill that you have to catch for a cd reset. It really deals abnormal damage with good critical chance and damage items @ level 5! You are invicible with items!
This skill also reset the cooldown of Blood Rush your enemy can't escape, even he is behind the turret you will kill him with Whirling Death.
Stand Aside it is great for opening fights,for escaping and stop enemy from escaping!
Pros / Cons
+ Spinning Axe is a unique skill
+ Funny to play
+ Globe Ultimate
+Great harass champion
+ Wicked Blades is a mini ignite
+ Fantastic Chaser
+ Draven is the brother of Darius
- CC will destroy you
- Standard AD con's
- Hard to master
- Need items and runes to rock
- Hard to keep Spinning Axe in team fights
- Very Squishy
- Will be nerfed if too many people dominate with him
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage is the most important rune for Draven, you need it to dominate in early game.It's also important for Spinning Axe! You can't do wrong with that rune.
- Greater Seal of Armor is always good for a ranged AD carry.Will make a difference without it.Especially if you have only AD champions in your lane!
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist some magic ressist per level.It helps you Mid/Late game trust me!
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage Adds some ad.Look at the text with Greater Mark of Attack Damage.
This is the mastery page I use.I recommend this if you take Flash and Exhaust!
Why don't I take Summoner's Insight so the cooldown of Flash reduces? ? I prefer having 30+ Hp more than waiting less 15 seconds.
Make sure you take this if you take Heal as summoner spell.It's important to have that page with Heal 10% is a big difference!
Use this combination if you hate to wait for Flash.You get some Mp from Expanded Mind and Meditation .It's good if you use Stand Aside often, but I don't like it I prefer more Hp than this.
Flash is the best Spell for chasing and escaping.Who doesn't use Flash ? Stand Aside + Flash is a good chase/escape combination.
Ignite With Wicked Blades is this a deadly combination.If you want to play more offensive this is a good choice.But you don't really need it.
Exhaust you can stop an enemy chasing you.With Stand Aside your enemy can't chase you or escape from you!This is the best spell with Flash.
Heal is good if you want stay longer in your lane and play more defensive.I'm a more offensive player so I don't use this.
If you never seen him before, take a look of his spotlight to become a feeling of the abilities. But forget the item order he buy's. It's bullsh*t. He say's that almost at every champion. Haha :D.
The following text is taken fromLeague of Legends wikia (My comment is red) :
Wicked Blades is a passive ability that activates whenever Draven lands a critical strike or a Spinning Axe-enhanced attack on an enemy unit, causing it to take additional physical damage over 4 seconds. 30 + (4 x Level).
- Wicked Blades does not proc spell vamp or Rylai's Crystal Scepter.
- Wicked Blades does not pop spell shield.
- Wicked Blades will not damage Black Shield.
- Wicked Blades stacks, although each application of the debuff has its own timer.
- If Spinning Axe critically strikes, only one stack of Wicked Blades is applied.
Wicked Blades is like a mini ignite.It deals 34 damage (with level 1) in 4 seconds, if you hit with Spinning Axe's.Even if the enemy escape from you with low hp if you hitted enough with Spinning Axe, the champion can't survive it.It's really helpful in early game.Just a dominating passive!
Spinning Axe is an autoattack modifier that causes Draven's next autoattack within the next 6 seconds to deal bonus physical damage equal to a percentage of his total attack damage. Additionally, this attack will launch an axe that bounces off the target into the air, back towards Draven. If Draven catches the axe as it lands, his next attack will also be enhanced with Spinning Axe.
- If Draven does not move when attacking, Spinning Axe will bounce back towards him, either landing directly on him or to his sides.
- Spinning Axe will place a visual cue on the ground where it will land. This visual cue is visible to both player teams, although allies see a more prominent marker (a golden sigil).
- Spinning Axe's cooldown begins immediately after the ability is cast. By catching multiple axes Draven may activate Spinning Axe a second time, allowing him to enhance his next two attacks with Spinning Axe.
- Increasing Spinning Axe's level while Draven already has an axe in play will affect a re-caught axe; that is, catching an axe will increase its damage to the new higher rank of the ability.
- Spinning Axe enhanced attacks can critically strike. However, the bonus damage from the ability itself is not multiplied by the critical strike modifier.
Spinning Axe is the first unique skill ever! A Draven without Spinning Axe,is not a Draven! Always try to catch it and you will dominate the whole game! + Wicked Blades he can't be beaten.But you will have problem's with champion's like Blitzcrank (grab skill) if he is clever he will use his e skill where your Spinning Axe will land or Nidalee will throw her spear to the place where your Spinning Axe will land..
It's just awesome that Spinning Axe can critical hit, but the bad thing is Wicked Blades work only 1 time per critical Spinning Axe hit.But that would make Draven op, so it's ok.It's hard to master, but really funny to play.
Blood Rush is a self-target ability that increases Draven's movement speed for 1.5 seconds and his attack speed for 3 seconds. The movement speed bonus decays over its duration. Catching a Spinning Axe will reset this skill's cooldown.
- Catching a Spinning Axe will refresh the cooldown of Blood Rush, regardless of whether the Blood Rush buff is active or not.
Great skill for chasing! Cooldown resets.Movement- and Attackspeed increases for a few second you can use it whenever you want (if you catch Spinning Axe).You can use it to escape too! Just use Stand Aside at enemy press Blood Rush while running away and your enemy can't get you!But i mainly use it too chase the enemy.It's hard to combine with Spinning Axe, you have to train it.
Stand Aside is a pass-through linear skillshot that deals physical damage and knocks back all enemy units it hits. Additionally, enemies hit by Stand Aside are slowed for 2 seconds.
- Stand Aside procs spell vamp and Rylai's Crystal Scepter similarly with all multi target spells and abilities with diminished effect.
- Stand Aside pops spell shield.
- Stand Aside will not damage Black Shield but the knock back and slow are negated.
- Stand Aside knocks enemies away to the sides, perpendicular to the projectile's path.
- Stand Aside can hit stealthed champions, but it will not reveal them unless their stealth state is dependent on their movement or location ( Teemo's Camouflage or Akali's Twilight Shroud if she is knocked out of the AoE).
Great range and great aoe skill.It's good to open fights,escaping enemies and stop enemies from running away.I think it costs too many Mp so don't use it often in early game or you will go faster to base as you think!
Whirling Death is a global pass-through linear skillshot that travels in a straight line across the entire map, dealing physical damage to all enemy units hit. When Whirling Death hits a champion or when Draven activates the ability again, it will reverse its course and return towards Draven. Whirling Death deals reduced damage for each unit it hits, down to a cap, but the damage reduction resets on the projectile's return trip.
- Whirling Death procs spell vamp and Rylai's Crystal Scepter similarly with all multi target spells and abilities with diminished effect.
- Whirling Death pops spell shield.
- Whirling Death will not damage Black Shield.
- Whirling Death will continue in its initial direction for a short distance after hitting an enemy champion; it will not reverse directions immediately upon impact.
- Whirling Death's cooldown begins immediately after the ability is cast.
- Whirling Death can only hit a given target up to 2 times.
- Whirling Death grants vision while in flight.
- Whirling Death can hit stealthed champions, but it will not reveal them. If the stealthed champion is the first unit hit, Whirling Death will still reverse its course.
It's a fantastic skill to kill runner's.You just need some aim skill and luck and your enemy can't escape from you! Whirling Death is helpful in teamfights too.You can hit all champions with the ultimate.You will get more kills with Whirling Death as you think!
Doran's Bladeis the best opener.With the damage you will dominate your lane and with lifesuck and the 80+ Hp of Doran's Blade you can stay even longer in your lane!Last hitting on minions? No problem.If you want to play more offensive this is the best choice!
I prefer Doran's Blade as opener, but if you want play more defensive and you have problems with catching Spinning Axe you should buy those.Don't forget to buy 3x Health Potion if you take Boots of Speed
best boots for Draven.Attack speed and mobility you need for throwing 2x Spinning Axe. There are other boots but I will mention them in a other section.
If you had a well early game you will have enough money for this item,if not you can buy instead of B. F. Sword a Pickaxe.It's better then nothing.You will deal more damage then before with Spinning Axe perfect mid game item!
Turn your B. F. Sword (or Pickaxe) into a Infinity Edge.Now you are maybe the strongest champion with this item.Critical chance +25%.+80 Attack damage. Rabadon's Deathcap for AD champions.Have i more to say?
After building Infinity Edge that is the first item you buy.Just buy Zeal and turn it to a Phantom Dancer.Now you have enough critical chance. Wicked Blades will effect without Spinning Axe.That doesn't mean you don't have to use Spinning Axe anymore.It means that in team fights as example that you can't always catch your axe's.So the passiv will stack with critical hits.
Buy Vampiric Scepter first and turn it to a The Bloodthirster.If you want to stay longer in your lane buy after Infinity Edge a Vampiric Scepter and then buy a Phantom Dancer.Life suck for Draven is great, because he deals a lot of damage.You will always have full hp with that item! With the passive you will even more dominate then before!
Great late game item for Draven, you will be focused at late game, that's why you need Warmog's Armor with the passive you will not die anymore!
If you got problems with auto attack champions take Thornmail. Is the best choice to let them kill themselves while attacking you.
Especially take it against Tryndamere and other AD carrie's.
If your enemy stacks armor you should buy this item.
Will help you to take them down in team fight's. Still don't attack them first you won't take them down, if they stacked too much. Just waste of time. Focus the champion, who doesn't have armor and then focus the Armor-Enemy-Champion. Still hate it, if enemy stacks armor. Draven only deal normal damage, be sure to take Last Whisper and the mastery Sunder to still deal good damage.
This is the item you buy if you don't have any problem's with the enemy team.ONLY take this item if you dominate the whole game and you will kill faster then before! You will get this item rarely, cause your enemy team will always try to counter you and focus. But if you have a whole noob enemy team. Go for it!
If you don't want so high magic resist from Force of Nature against Thornmail and you want to keep the offensive play take Wit's End.It will deal magic damage each hit and will keep your attackspeed high.Also you will get more magical resist each hit.
Will get you some armor and magic resist.It's a great item if you still have problem's with dieng and still want to play more defensive take Guardian Angel, it will safe your life mostly!
Another great item for Draven.If you still get killed late game mostly from ap champion's take Maw of Malmortius as last item.Buy Hexdrinker first and turn it to a Maw of Malmortius. This will keep up your attack damage and will absorb magical damage.
Best item if your enemy team have Thornmail.The magic resist will stop you from killing yourself. Also take this if your enemy team only deal's with ability power.
Best against team's, who are heavily based on CC.Some magic ressist, will safe your life sometimes, if you use the active wisely.
Great mobility.But draven don't need it he will have problems with chasing.He will be to fast for Spinning Axe and Blood Rush will be useless don't buy this!
Look at the text above.
Are you kidding me? Forget those.
Are you serious? If you catch Spinning Axe you can use it again and again. Blood Rush cooldown reset, if you catch Spinning Axe. Don't like this anyway. But if you want always to secure kill's, buy this for Whirling Death.
You get enough armor from Greater Seal of Armor.Don't need this boots. Only take it if your enemy team heavily is based on AD champion's. Still you won't need those, as ad carry you have to let other's tank and you deal. True story.
Good against CC.Buy this if you have problems with positioning and enemy focus you and spam CC on you. I would take it, if the enemy team has 3 or more champion's who are based on CC.
How to play
- Farm. Farming is really important for Draven, cause you have to get Infinity Edge fast. Don't push the lane try to stay at your turret, just last hit with Spinning Axe.You should hit the melee minion's with 15% Hp and the caster minion's with 20% Hp. It would be good to have after 15 minutes around 80-100 minion kills.
- First Blood. You have to do the most for the first blood.If a enemy champion is in your range use Blood Rush attack him with Spinning Axe catch it to refresh Blood Rush. Do it often and if you think you can kill him use Stand Aside, activate Blood Rush and 2x Spinning Axe this will take him down try to catch Spinning Axe while you are chasing him to activate Blood Rush again and again, if you don't have Whirling Death yet to last hit just use Flash and last hit him with Spinning Axe and Wicked Blades will do the rest. Gratulation's you got your first kill! Always use this tactic to kill your lane enemies and always try to catch your Spinning Axe!
- Turret.If you had a well mid game and just killed your lane enemy champion's, it will be no problem destroying the enemies turret now.While attacking the turret just activate Blood Rush and if you have enough minion's the turret will be destroyed after 20-30 second's.
- Gank.Now you have destroyed the enemy turret if you push more and more YOU will be ganked. Forget your lane now it's time to help other's.I will explain it with a picture.
Purple = Enemy Base
Orange = Your Base
Light Green = Team-Turret
Light Blue = Your lane
Red = Where you have to hide.
Dark Blue = Enemy Champion
Dark Green = Stand Aside
- Mid = Tell your Teammate to stun or slow him.After he used it you have to be really fast now! Activate Blood Rush kick him to your turret with Stand Aside. If you kick him to his own turret you failed, forget it to kill him.If you kicked him to your turret use Spinning Axe catch it to refresh Blood Rush, trust me he will try to get to his own turret with Flash or slowing/stuning you just try to throw many Spinning Axe's as you can and finish him with Whirling Death. Well done!
- Top = Wait until you can hit BOTH enemy champion's with Stand Aside. Kick them to your own turret activate Blood Rush and Spinning Axe focus the squishy one first! Attack him with Spinning Axe and catch it to refresh Blood Rush. It won't take that long to kill the squishy one (if you have Infinity Edge).After killing him use Exhaust on the second enemy champion and hit him with Spinning Axe after the effect of Exhaust ended use Stand Aside again to slow him and use Whirling Death to finish him. Good job!
- Teamfight.After the tank of your team opened the team fight slow the enemies with Stand Aside and use your Whirling Death (try to hit almost every enemy champion with it) try to catch your Spinning Axe be sure you activate always Blood Rush don't let them get near to you, keep in distance! If Spinning Axe lands on a bad place DON'T catch it or you will die! Use Exhaust on the most damage dealing enemy champion to not letting someone of your team die! If you won the team fight and 1-2 champion's try to escape use Blood Rush and Flash and last hit them with Spinning Axe.You can't win every fight, if you lost the teamfight and your still alive use Stand Aside and Flash to escape. To be sure not to get killed use Blood Rush and go to base.I don't say you will lose teamfight's but sometimes you can't win. True story.
- Baron.It#s easy to kill the Baron with Draven (if you already have The Bloodthirster). You only need a tank and another dealer with you. Let the tank attack use Blood Rush and Spinning Axe catch it. Sometimes use Stand Aside.It will only take a few second's to kill him.
You won the game! Good Game mate!
Here is a example that Draven can decide the game. I was bot with Teemo against Draven and Alistar. The enemy Draven was level 20 or something.I forgot the level of Alistar but I think I played well that game. My Teammates said that they won't won without me. I don't want to boast or something. I only wanted to show how good Draven can be if you train with him.
- Most kill's.
- Most minion kill's.
- Most gold farmed.
- Best Kill/Death quote.
- Draven is the only postive Kill/Death quote from team.
- Died fewest of all.
- Enemy team has more kill's and lost.
See, I used my guide (first picture, enemy had Thornmail).
Just pm me with url of your Game and I will post it here and let me know what you think about my guide!
6/23/12 - Started making Guide.
6/24/12 - Published Guide.
6/26/12 - Corrected some Codes and typing error's.
6/26/12 - Enabled Require comment to vote.
6/26/12 - Added new last items.
6/26/12 - Added a picture to "My Games" section.
6/27/12 - Added "How to Play" Chapter. (IMPORTANT!!)
6/30/12 - New text in "Last Word's" section.
6/30/12 - Corrected "Item's" Chapter.
7/04/12 - Corrected "Mastery Tree".
7/04/12 - Text added to "Champion Spotlight".
7/04/12 - Added new text to Thornmail, Last Whisper, The Black Cleaver, Guardian Angel, Force of Nature, Quicksilver Sash at Last item section!
7/04/12 - New text at every alternative boot's!
- Teamfight (DONE)
- Best supporter for Draven
- How to fight against specefic champions like Nidalee, Blitzcrank, Alistar