Amumu Build Guide by Wrakor
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
17/06/2011 - Updated Masteries Section;
19/06/2011 - Updated Item Section (thanks to zellboy);
- Updated Summoner Spells;
Hi. This is my guide for Amumu, as an AP Tank/Tanky AP. Amumu is a great champion, and I usually play it when our team needs a tank or a tanky AP. He has good Crowd Control (Q and R abilities) what can be very funny to play. But we'll talk about skills later.
With this build you'll be able to tank/off-tank while dealing some decent damage I'm currently working on it, and will update it whenever is needed.
Hope you enjoy it =)
Cursed Touch (Amumu's Passive) - Amumu's attacks reduce the target's Magic Resistance by 15/25/35 for 4 seconds.
That's why he doesn't need that much magic penetration to deal good damage.
Bandage Toss - Amumu tosses a sticky bandage at a target, stunning and damaging the target while he pulls himself to them.
Throws a bandage to target location. If it hits an enemy unit, Amumu will pull himself to the enemy, stun them, and deal 80/140/200/260/320 (+1) magic damage.
It's a long range skillshot that pulls Amumu to the target it hits, stunning and dealing damage. This skill can be used to initiate fights, start a gank, chase running champions or even escape by aiming for neutral minions (you can cross walls with it)! Check this image:
Black Cross - try not to use it unless you know that minion is there. Not so reliable as red cross.
Red Cross - mobs with fast respawn that will probably be there for you! I have escaped so many times doing this! :D
Note that the direction of the arrows depend of where you are coming from.
Despair - Overcome by anguish, nearby enemies lose a percentage of their maximum health each second.
Toggle: Nearby enemies take 8/12/16/20/24 magic damage plus 1.5/1.8/2.1/2.4/2.7 (+0.01)% of their maximum health each second.
This is what really shows Amumu's sadness... He starts crying all over the place! But his tears damage enemies, so no problem at all! =) Toggle this when you initiate a fight or when farming, using this skill along with .
- Permamently reduces the physical damage Amumu would take. Amumu can unleash his rage, dealing damage to surrounding enemies. Each time Amumu is hit, the cooldown on tantrum is reduced by 0.5 seconds.
Passive: Amumu takes 2/4/6/8/10 reduced damage from physical attacks.
Active: Amumu deals 75/100/125/150/175 (+0.5) magic damage to surrounding units. Each time Amumu is hit, the cooldown on Tantrum is reduced by 0.5 seconds.
This is your bread and butter. Its passive reduces incoming physical damage, and you can use it do deal AoE (Area of Effect) damage! But the best is that your cooldown is reduced everytime you get hit. Great against physical champions like , ,etc who relies on auto-attacks. In team fights spamm it whenever you can.
- Amumu entangles surrounding enemy units in bandages, damaging them and rendering them unable to attack or move.
Amumu entangles surrounding enemy units, dealing 150/250/350 (+1) magic damage and preventing attacks and movement for 2 seconds.
This is what makes other players fear Amumu. This is why he is banned in ranked games. His great ultimate that prevent enemies in area around him to move/attack. His good use can be crucial in the result of a team fight. Try using it to entangle at least 3 enemies.
Hide in the nearest bushes, Toggle Despair -> Bandage Toss -> Tantrum everytime cooldown goes off, while auto-attacking.
If enemy starts running, Bandage Toss again. If fight went bad and you need to run, try to use it to neutral monsters (see skill explanation).
You can also use Curse of the Sad Mummy right after Bandage Toss, but since it has so long cooldown, I would save it for team fights.
Toggle Despair -> Bandage Toss to their squishiest target in range -> Curse of the Sad Mummy (wait if needed until 3 or more players are in your range) -> Tantrum everytime you can.
Use Bandage Toss again if an enemy is running away with low hp, or to help a teammate who is being chased. If team fight went bad and you need to run, try to use it to neutral monsters (see skill explanation).
Note: Amumu is a pretty decent farmer mid-late game with the passive from , your ability and .
- Magic penetration = more magic damage, best primary runes for AP.
- Mana regen per level, since amumu is a bit mana hungry it will help him not going out of mana(or at least not so fast).
- Or dodge, against heavy AD Teams. It will make them frustrated :P
- Magic resistance per level, those are better than flat ones, because they start giving more magic resistance at lvl 10/11. Flat ones are only good for early game.
- Best quintessences for tank/tanky champions. Who doesn't want an extra HP?
- It is also good. With CD Reduction you can use your skills more often (specially ultimate which has a really long cooldown).
If you are going to be the main tank or if you just want to be more tough, use 0/16/14. It will give you some defenses and survivability, while giving you some useful utilities, like the CD Reduction of Flash.
0/21/9 or 9/21/0 is also good.
On the other hand, if you are off-tank, you can either go for a 0/16/14 or 9/0/21. A little bit more hp and mana regen, and cooldown reduction are nice.
- Your second chasing/escaping tool (First one is your Q skill). You know the benefits: crossing walls.
- I use this spell to finish an enemy, when they start running away and your is on cooldown. It really helps you getting some kills early game (Amumu is a bit dependent on how well early game goes). Also good against , and .
- Can be usefull to teleport to a tower when lots of minions or champions are willing to destroy it, or to teleport to a minion next yo your teammates so you can help them in a fight.
- If you feel your can save you and you don't really need , an extra speed for chasing/escaping is also good.
- Well, if you're going to be the tank I guess it's OK to have this summoner spell, although i'm not a fan of it. It will help protecting towers when you can't be there.
- Another chasing/escaping toold. It should be used to disable their melee carrier in team fights.
Build 1: vs Balanced/AP Teams
Build 2: vs High AD Teams
I see a lot of Amumus buying Rylai's Crystal Scepter. I'll tell you why I prefer Rod of Ages instead. Let's compare this 2 items.
Rod of Ages gives 80 AP, 630 HP and 725 Mana (with complete passive).
- More 130 HP;
- 725 Mana, wich is really helpfull and needed because Amumu is mana hungry, and trust me, you don't want to get out of mana in a team fight.
- It takes 10 minutes after you buy it to give full status;
- Only starts being effective in mid-late game.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter gives 80 AP, 500 Health and reduces movement when dealing magic damage.
- Gives all status the moment you buy it, being more effective for early game;
- A little movement reduction.
- Since 3 of Amumu's Skills are multi-target skills, the slow is only 15%. The only ability that slows speed by 35% is Bandage Toss, but guess what, in the time that target should be slowed, he is already stunned;
- Less 130 HP;
- No Mana.
So, in my opinion Rod of Ages may be a better item, but if you feel you need the slow to help getting some kills for your team, buy Rylai's.
I start with this 2 items to be able to stay longer in lane. The first minutes are very important. Also, with Regrowth Pendant I only need 365 gold to complete Philosopher's Stone.
or are also good, depending on what stats you prefer.
On your first trip back, you should have enough gold to buy Philosopher's Stone and Boots of Speed, maybe Mercury's Treads if you got some kill(s). Grab a Health Potion. Philosopher's Stone is a good early game item, with mana and hp regen, and the 5 gold per 10 seconds.
are also a reliable option, if the enemy team doesn't have that much CC.
Core Build Off-Tank:
Rod of Ages I have already explained why (see beginning of Items section).
Sunfire Cape gives you more hp, armor and the passive that goes really well along with your Despair and Curse of the Sad Mummy.
Force of Nature gives you lots of health regen, magic resistance and a movement speed boost!
Guardian Angel gives you both armor and magic resistance, and the awesome passive that is a must to tanky champions.
Core Build Tank:
Aegis of the Legion is a great early game item, gives you all a tank need: hp, magic resist and armor!
Warmog's Armor - If you want to have more health and health regen buy Warmog's, great tank item.
Rabadon's Deathcap - Get it instead of Rod of Ages or Abyssal Scepter if you feel you want more damage output.
Thornmail for Build Nº2, against high AD team(with at least 3 AD, or 2 heavy ones, like Tryndamere and Master Yi. It returns 30% of the damage you receive from physical attacks.
Frozen Heart - Armor, mana and Cooldown Reduction. Also reduces the attack speed of nearby enemies. Good against Physical Teams.
Abyssal Scepter for Build Nº1, against balanced/Ap teams. Gives you more magic resistance, and AP boost.
Note:In order to get your last item, sell Philosopher's Stone.