Threats to Irelia with this build
|Aatrox||At a weak-state right now due to his useless passive as long as you don't let it proc. Pretty easy to track as it's under his health bar. Has sustain, but you can outburst him. Consider maxing E.|
|Teleport gives you lane dominance as you can recall to base, heal, buy items, and return to lane without losing much. Teleport also puts pressure on the enemy team with your map presence and can be used as a counter spell to champions that have teleporting skills (eg. Shen, Twisted Fate). With Bladesurge as a gap-closer, you can use Teleport to setup ganks and use Bladesurge to quickly catch up to enemies.|
|Flash is a must. As both an offensive and defensive spell, Flash is very strong in terms of utility. Teleport and Flash should be your spells in most of your games.|
|Ignite gives you extra killing potential. Grevious Wounds can also be extremely helpful in a 1v1 or teamfight situations against champions with sustain (eg. Swain, Vladimir). In most cases, take Teleport for map presence.|
Start with Equilibrium Strike so you can stun+autoattack(AA) the enemy top laner for harass. The stun can also be used for defense purposes if there are any extremely early ganks. Then, level accordingly.
Max Hiten Style first for sustain and damage. The true damage from your active allows Irelia to outscale certain enemies from levels 4-9. However, consider maxing Equilibrium Strike first against matchups like Riven or Jax. The extra stun duration allows you to quickly burst down squishier targets without allowing them to react.
Max Equilibrium Strike next so you can deal more damage with a longer stun duration. Under the stun duration, you can do whatever to them. However, consider maxing Bladesurge second if you find the need to dash around more often in skirmishes (lower cooldown), or if you find the need to chase enemies even more efficiently.
Max Transcendent Blades whenever you can. Other than Hiten Style, Transcendent Blades is the other source of sustain for Irelia. It is also a great spell for clearing out creep waves and setting up Bladesurge paths.
Tips & Tricks
- Your passive lets Irelia have 40% CC reduction max based on how many enemy champions you can see that are around you up to three.
- When a teamfight seems like it's going to begin, you may want to stand in the front lines to eat up all those skillshot CC stuff (eg. Amumu's Bandage Toss) that your carries cannot dodge efficiently. This DOES NOT mean getting poked down before a fight.
- If a teamfight is about to begin a the enemy has lots of CC, don't be too afraid as your passive will help you reduce the CC duration quite a bit ( Irelia = Tenacity Queen).
- If this spell deals the killing blow to a unit, the cooldown is refreshed. This spell applies on-hit effects (eg. procs items like Sheen, Phage, Trinity Force, etc.).
- Remember that Phage/ Trinity Force's passive is proced by Bladesurge which could be crucial when needing some extra movement speed.
- Use this to get creeps that are about to die and are not in your auto-attack range (though only half is refunded, usually it's worth it). This DOESN'T mean spam it for every minion, as you'll run out of mana soon enough.
- On enemy champions, after attacking once, Bladesurge the enemy to reset your attack timer and auto-attack again.
- Use Bladesurge to jump onto a low HP minion who is near an enemy champion to stun him/her with Equilibrium Strike and perform your burst on him/her (W->AA->Q->AA). This should be your harassment techique in lane.
- Be careful about using Bladesurge to initiate onto an enemy directly and following-up with Equilibrium Strike as you may not get the stun off from the damage dealt by Bladesurge.
- It is easy to chase enemy champions on a long distance run, as Bladesurge can quickly close distances. Look for low HP minions to jump to (make sure you kill it so the cooldown is refreshed) so you can jump at least again.
- A great technique is to wait for the enemy to use Flash, and then follow up with a Bladesurge to close the distance again.
- Use this spell to kite around when necessary. To do this, jump to low health minions so you can jump multiple times after (as the cooldown refreshes if you have dealt the killing blow). If there are no low health minions, you can create some with Transcendent Blades.
- Gives you huge sustain and true damage which allows you to outscale many top laners at level 9. When wanting to deal a significant increase in damage, use the active.
- When farming under turret, the active will allow you to farm more efficiently with the extra damage.
- When chasing, consider activating Hiten Style before using Bladesurge onto a full-health minion to more-than-likely guarantee the kill and cooldown refresh (will usually only work if you have Trinity Force).
- Remember that this spell depends on who's HP is higher based on percentage so make sure to check the enemy's health bar before using the skill.
- When you get this spell at level 1, using Equilibrium Strike at the target with full HP will grant a stun, and a chance for a free auto-attack. Remember to disengage once you land that first auto-attack.
- You pretty much ALWAYS want use this spell for the stun. Only use it for the slow if you cannot wait for the stun (eg. to proc items (eg. Sheen/ Trinity Force, extra damage, needing the slow, etc.).
- Consider using Flash to get in range for the stun at critical times.
- In teamfights, you can use the stun to cancel channeling spells (eg. Nunu's Absolute Zero, Katarina's Death Lotus, Warwick's Infinite Duress, etc.).
- If you've never played Irelia before, remember that when you press R, you'll shoot a total of four blades. The blades will shoot to where your cursor is at.
- Use this ability to push creep waves. A good time to do this would be right when you are about to recall.
- This spell gives immense sustain, so if you are low on HP, use it on a big creep wave for health regen.
- In a 1v1 situation, you generally want to fight when there is a creep wave nearby, so you can heal up by hitting the creeps with Transcendent Blades while fighting.
- Remember that using this spell doesn't interrupt your attacks, so you can spam this spell while attacking.
- Using each of Transcendent Blades also procs Sheen/ Trinity Force's passive. So if possible, use each blade every two seconds to abuse Sheen/ Trinity Force's passive.
- You can use Transcendent Blades on a minion wave to create a low-health minion you can jump onto and kill with Bladesurge. This is a good technique to use when you want to get to a distant enemy, kite the enemy, or create escape routes.