Kog'Maw Build Guide by Klarry300
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
Hello and welcome to my hybrid Kog'Maw build. This build focuses on carrying with magic damage and On-Hit effects such as Madred's Bloodrazor in synchronization with high attack speed. I'll explain my choices of items and such in the guide as detailed as i can.
In order to carry effectively against a good team, you'll need survivability. Good teams will target you in teamfights and do everything to bring you down. That's why my above item build consists of 2 defensive items. Still i can carry effectively with my 3 offensive core items and my abilities.
29/11 guide released
1/12 up to 71% guide rating
2/12 added laning partners and TL::DR maths section
Pros / Cons - Why Hybrid Kog?
+ Sick carry with massive damage, huge range, AoE slow and health-percent per hit, can tear the other team apart in seconds.
+ Both physical and magical damage makes you harder to counter than most carrys, though we focus on magical damage with this build (I'll explain why later).
+ Almost unmatched late-game carry potential, if left to farm in lane, Kog'Maw usually trashes the other team later on. With around 2 Attacks per second and 10% health bonus damage per hit you are a force to be reckoned with.
+ Long range bush-checker and finisher with Living Artillery.
- SO squishy! If only focused on offensive attributes, you die very easily. This is Kog'Maws biggest flaw, as you are a carry and should stay alive and crash the party for the other team. Counter with some defensive items and runes, i'll explain later.
- No natural escape-ability, relies on Flash and slow from your Void Ooze to get away.
- 2 abilities are skill-shots that take time to master, but are relatively easy to use.
Masteries - What I Use
I put 9 points in defensive masteries because of his squishy early game, i need extra hp, armor and MR. As a carry i need to stay alive and still deal damage, it's really important.
Runes - The Viable Ones
**NOTE** IF YOU HAVE HYBRID RUNES THEY ARE A VERY GOOD CHOICE, IF YOU DON'T HAVE THOSE ROLL WITH THESE INSTEAD:
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: The choice of this runes is easily undestandable, as you deal mainly magical damage you want to compensate for your otherwise low magic penetration.
- Greater Seal of Attack Speed: In order to counter your relatively low AS early on and since later you will need AS to increase your damage output you could take these. They give more AS than the glyph ones too. It is very viable to switch these for Greater Seal of Armor if you experience having trouble with physical damage.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: Mainly i take a lot of magic damage as a ranged carry, and these glyphs helps me a lot. You could swap these for AS or mana-reg, but i really recommend these.
- Greater Quintessence of Magic Penetration: For the same reason as the marks, this boosts your damage and your damage is the most important as a carry. Simply put. But if you are willing to swap damage for survivability, go for Greater Quintessence of Health as they help your squishy early game.
Summoner Spells - New & Old
|SPACE||Flash: This summoner spell is just a must for every ranged carry, it was nerfed recently, but it's still OP and the must-have. Use to escape sticky situations, flash over walls, reposition yourself in fights or to secure a kill from afar. If you are about to die, Flash + Void Ooze is great for escaping.||SPACE|
|SPACE||Surge: This new spell is just awesome for Kog'Maw! Suddenly you turn into a huge monster ready to roll, and get some well-needed AS and AP. Use this when in teamfights, it synergizes extremely well with your Bio-Arcane Barrage and Madred's Bloodrazor. Don't forget the little AP boost if you think you'll need the extra damage for finishing someone off with your Q,E or R.||SPACE|
|SPACE||Exhaust: A viable choice on Kog, a nice slow and damage-remover, but you already have a slow and Surge gives you much more damage potential. I don't pick this one simply because the other choices are too good to pass on.||SPACE|
|SPACE||Teleport: Good for getting around the map, but this isn't as crucial to Kog'Maw as Flash or Surge. Good if your not sure how to play Kog and might get outharrased so you can help your team more by getting back fast, otherwise this is only semi-viable.||SPACE|
Obvious Skill Sequence
Obviously, grab Living Artillery at 6, 11 and 16.
Items - Explanations
|SPA||The next item you get is Malady. You probably have achieved a kill or two, or farmed well with your bot babysitter so you can get this. Early on Kog'Maws attack speed is quite low, even though he got a buff from his Q. In order to deal more damage with Bio-Arcane Barrage, we must get AS. Malady fits perfectly, it's a cheap and great item to buy early. You get a AS raise as well as some well needed AP + a great debuff-stacking on-hit effect! This will let you deal more magic damage through the game and helps you against high MR.|
|SPA||Around this time in the game, everyone buys their pair of boots. This includes you. The best choice for Kog'Maw as a carry in my opinion is Ol' Mercurys. These helps you against magic damage, which almost every champion got a bit of, and also it gives Tenacity to avoid CC. Kog'Maw is very vurnable to CC, you can't carry if your stunned, blinded, feared or debuffed by slows like Wither. Feel free to swap this depending on what you like, but believe me when i say these are the ones that you should get most of the time. Berserker's Greaves and Sorcerer's Shoes are also great choices.|
Builds & Cores
Ok so this is the core of the build, and how your build should look almost every game. These on-hit effect items are what makes you so deadly, and pretty hard to counter. All items give attack speed, which benefits Madred's Bloodrazor and Bio-Arcane Barrage. I cannot stress that enough, you need AS if you build like this. Wit's End and Madred's gives you well needed resistances and synergizes perfectly together.
Your choice of boots should differ depending on what you face and how well your game is going. Mainly you should grab Mercury's against a balanced team with CC's and such. However, sometimes you might face teams that don't have any magic damage or CC. Then i recommend you choosing depending on what you need. If your enemies are stacking MR, Sorcerer's would do better, and Berserker's Greaves AS isn't very needed since we get so much from other items.
With all you offensive items you need to survive in order to deal damage, obviously. That's why i usually get 2 defensive items after my core, since i already have so much damage i don't need anymore. I almost ALWAYS get Frozen Mallet. It's health really helps you against all damage and the slow is just awesome. But the last item, well i usually get Guardian Angel as i said before but if your having trouble with other kinds of damage, swap it with Banshees or Thornmail.
Some maths (TL::DR)
- 150 AD vs. 100 armor = around 100 physical damage
- 10% of 3000health vs. 70 magic resist = 220 - 240 magic damage
- Total of 60 magic damage per hit vs. 70 magic resist = 42 - 50 magic damage
Total DPS with 2 attacks per second = 720 - 780 damage
Analysis: ZOMG! Around 740 damage per second!? That's enough to devastate a team during a teamfight. Great so then we have full carry capability! And we probably got red-buff, magic pen and skills so our DPS is even higher! 740 damage just from auto-attacks!
But what about your defenses? Ok, let's say Lee Sin has an AD of 250 +. You have an armor of 170 with this build(!) and you remove 50% of his damage. Without your Guardian Angel you would only remove about 30% maybe. Also you remove about 40 - 45% magic damage! Plus that you have an extra 700hp from Frozen Mallet.
Conclusion: With this build you have a very high DPS and still are very durable. In other words, a great asset for your team. This is the main reason why i build like this, and i've tried to balance it as good as possible. Also keep in mind that you got a Frozen Mallet and will slow your opponents into living targets.
|SPA||Sometimes there are times when you don't need any defensive items, because no one is targeting you in teamfights (idiotic team). Well, then feel free to grab a Sword of the Divine. This beaty gives the highest AS in the game, and brings you up to the maximum 2.5 hits per second (!). It also has a stacking nice magic damage, which makes it fit very good in the build. I usually don't grab this because the magic damage is not as high as others. Also great if you'r facing Jax, but they'll remove dodge soon anyway.
Grab this one if: No one is targeting you or you are facing Jax.
Grab this instead of: Guardian Angel
|SPA|| If you notice yourself only taking magical damage, grab this item. It's passive is just awesome, it breaks casters combos and let's you get away with that little health from Requiem.
Grab this one if: Your only taking/facing magical damage
Grab this instead of: Guardian Angel
|SPA||Sometimes you only face physical damage instead. In order to prevent that Tryndamere from raping you constantly, grab a Thornmail. It's cheap, pure armor that also returns damage, so they will think twice before attacking you.
Grab this one if: Your only taking/facing physical damage
Grab this instead of: Guardian Angel
|SPA|| As you might have noticed, most of your damage comes from magical sources and if the enemy is stacking LOTS of heavy MR in order to counter you, and by that i mean a few hundred. Then this item is great to grab, it boosts your abilities Q and E by about 50 dmg and penetrates 40% of their magic resist.
Grab this one if: Your enemies are stacking MR
Grab this instead of: Malady
I usually harrass with my W because of it's range. With this you can stay behind minions and launch auto-attacks on melee's who try to keep up with your farm. When you hit 6, your ultimate is of great value in terms of harrassment. Just don't spam it to much, and wait for the mana-increasing debuff to go off before you launch it again.
This combo is great if you are in medium-range so you can use your Q and unload a few auto-attacks with your W.
+ + + + Finish with
This is your nuke combination, slow with Void Ooze, debuff with Spittle and unload auto-attacks with the extra speed from Surge. Great to do from a bush, this is also your ganking combo. Remember that Surge increases your AP but also reveals that you will attack.
Your role in teamfights are very important. You are the carry. Here's a list of what you should do:
- Deal as much damage as possible. Switch target fast if your target either is dead or is getting chased by someone else on your team. Don't run after a flashing enemy in the start of a teamfight, switch target instead and let your assassin handle it.
- Kill tanks when they expose themselves. This might sound odd, but a tanks job is to grab your attention and by doing so he runs in first and puts himself in bad positions. With your high %health on-hit effects you'll rip him to little pieces while sitting back in safety.
- Prefer melees over ranged. You can easier kill them without getting killed yourself.
- Wait for your tank to initiate. Don't EVER start a fight by running and hitting their tank or carry. Your role is to wait for him to start the fight, then start activating your abilities and bring the heat from afar.
This fabulous support champion is a perfect match for you. His stuns and heals are just amazing. His ultimate also boosts your AD and AP now. Not many champs can stand the harassment of stun + Void Ooze + auto attacks and Living Artillery.
Another great support champ, the queen of babysitting. She boosts your AD and got loads of CC to help you. Also her ultimate and Q blows them away, great when facing melee's since you are so long range.
Yes, a tank. Even though she might not have any heal, her CC and passive remains awesome. She's proably gonna give you a lot more kills than supports, but you will probably have a harder time farming without the heals and shields.
Tips & Tricks
Videos and Scores
So in this section i thought i would post some scores, here's one i got today 29/7, non-ranked but the score was good so i'd post it anyway. Their Leona was so bad, look at her items!
I will also add videos
I couldn't make this guide without help from other people. Big thanks to:
- All my friends and teammates in my ranked team WMO. Wouldn't write this guide if we never had started playing LoL together :)
- JhoiJhoi for her amazing guide on how to make guides. It helped me very much on how to create and edit guides, and i've used parts of her layout and build ideas. Here's a link to her guide: Guide on how to make Guides.
- Other guides that have inspired me, personally i love these two great guides: Spin to Crit by Palthios & Ferrovial's Teemo Guide
Summary - Last Words
Thanks for reading!
I did this build and guide for fun, and by the fact that i feel i wanted to share how i play Kog and by that i really think building him this way is very efficient. Hopefully you can leave a comment on what you think should be improved and what is good. I realise i might get downvotes from people who have other opinions on how to play him, but this is only an optional way of playing him and it is how i do it.
- Add scores and videos
- Add Hybrid vs. AD section
- Add Hybrid vs. AP section
- Add more skill-usage
- Add more optonial items
- Perfect the build out of constructive criticism
- Add a banner to the guide
- Add FAQ Section if needed