Master Yi Build Guide by GoobleGabble
Not Updated For Current Season
Master Yi Build
Not Updated For Current Season
Table of Contents
This guide contains:
- Skill Sequence
- Summoner Spells
- Pros / Cons
- Before Game
- Early Game
- Mid Game
- Late Game
- Playing Aginst Champions In Mid
- Team Fights + Endgame Winning Combo
- Update Log
Welcome to the AP Mid Master Yi Godmode Guide.
As known (to me atleast), this guide has defenitly helped people in their LoLing.
I've been using this build for a long time, and I have decided to release my secret to the world.
Please read the Entire guide as I will be explaining everything you will need to know in order to succeed.
Also I ask not to troll downvote because that's not nice.
- Don't complain about the guides length, it's long because I'm dedicating in it.
- For question send a private message, not a comment.
- Don't copy without premission.
Made by [GoobleGabble] from www.MOBAfire.com
My choice of runes are:
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration x9
- Greater Seal of Armor x9 - Or Greater Seal of Magic Resist
- Greater Glyph of Ability Power x9
- Greater Quintessence of Scaling Ability Power x9
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Ability Power
Greater Quintessence of Scaling Ability Power
What's thethought behind those runes?
Well, as simple as it is.
- The Marks are giving you Magic Penetration.
- The Seals are giving you Armor or Magic Resist.
- The Glyphs are giving you Ability Power.
- The Quintessences are giving you Ability Power as well.
More advanced thinking?
- Marks: Magic penetration is always good for AP Carries especially late game.
- Seals: As your armor is very low at the beginning, I'd recommend armor.
Although, you might be at draft pick and in that case you should see who your enemies are, and in that case if you see lots of AP magicians, carries, whatever. Get the Magic Resist.
- Glyphs: Extra Damage early game is necessery for lane pushing, ganking, or anything else in your mind.
- Quitessences: Quintessence will give you a lot more than regular runes, so for late game damage (or mid game if you're really good), I'd recommend these quintessences.
The masteries are pretty much self explanetory.
On offense everything which is AP, and defense for a little bit more... Umm... Defense!
If you don't like putting points on defense, simply put them on the utility tree.
I'd recommend maxing Improved Recall , Good Hands and Expanded Mind .
Item build and explanation, alternatives at the end:
- Start of with Speed. This is most likely the most important stat in the entire game. From running away to chasing enemies, speed with always help you. Get Boots of Speed.
- You have spare gold. Buy potions with it, better safe than sorry. Get Health Potions.
- Now you'll see that your mana is getting low very quick, so you need to fix that with Chalice of Harmony Upgrading to Athene's Unholy Grail.
- Now start getting more damage and cooldown reduction using Morello's Evil Tome.
- Probably your enemies now are trying to avoid you while building magic resist. Time to fix that with Void Staff, it doesn't really matter how you build it as long you finish it eventually.
- Now you'll get an EPIC Ap boost with Needlessly Large Rod Upgraded to Rabadon's Deathcap
- Now upgrade your Boots of Speed to Sorcerer's Shoes for more speed and Magic Penetration.
- Last but not least, get a Lich Bane starting your build specificly from Sheen.
- Enemies aren't building Magic Resist? Get Mejai's Soulstealer istead of Void Staff if you want it.
- You don't want Magic Penetration boots? Get Ionian Boots of Lucidity instead of Sorcerer's Shoes.
- Don't like Cleanse? Get a Quicksilver Sash.
- Think Mana is not a problem? Take 3 Health Potions instead of 1 Health Potion and 2 Mana Potions.
Your Q ( Alpha Strike) is youronly harrasing tool being a melee (close ranged) champion.
That's the reason you want to get it on Level 1.
Then because you can't level up Alpha Strike, you level up Meditate, because it gets your survivability higher.
Now keep upgrading Alpha Strike and in level 4, upgrade Wuju Style, it gives you more chances to Last Hit minions under the turret if you're being pushed.
Now keep leveling up Alpha Strike and Meditate , and when you're in level 6 you get your ultimate.
It gives you speed, attack speed, and the most important, You Cant Get Slown Down (kinda like my typing).
After you got that you're ready to gank and kill enemies, but I will speak of it in a different chapter.
Keep leveling up Alpha Strike and Meditate until you're level 11, where you level up Highlander again.
Keep playing and don't afk now, get both Alpha Strike and Meditate up to level 5, and start leveling up Wuju Style until you're level 16. At level 16, level up Highlander one last time.
After you done simply raise yourself to level 18 and all of your skills are maxed.
Note that there are NO alternatives for this skill build something whatever. It's the best one possible.
My Choices and Explanations:
- Flash - If you did a screw up on Alpha Strike, you got a backup.
- Cleanse - Getting Ignited pretty much screws you over. Solution? Read to your left.
Other possible summoner spells:
- Surge - Some AP and Attack Speed always helps.
- Clarity - Mana usualy helps, the reason I don't pick it, because it becomes useless lategame.
- Teleport - It's fine I guess, just the others are better.
- Ignite - If you're not feeling to turret dive.
- Heal - Solution for a Lifestealing enemy.
The Not Recommended list:
- Barrier - Meditate
- Ghost - Highlander
- Revive - 9 minutes cooldown
- Promote - I just hate this one
- Exhaust - Highlander + Alpha Strike Combo
- Garrison - No.
- Smite - You're not jungling.
- Clairvoyance - I hate this one too.
Pros / Cons
Now let's get to the Pros and Cons, something anyone needs to know.
The pros and cons are relavent to this guide only.
+ Very fast with highlander (and also without).
+ Highlander has a low cooldown with the build above.
+ Can harras and control a team fight from the back of it.
+ Can be in any lane (although this guide is for mid only).
+ Endgame, an easy assassination combo.
- Higher skill cap from AD master Yi.
- Quite an expensive build.
- If you're good, he's the target in team fights.
- Lots of chances to die when ganked due to squishyness.
Before Game - Champion Selection
Pick Master Yi, remember, do not insta lock or your team mates might hate you (happened to me more than once).
Tell them you're going mid.
Them: "Master Yi mid? Don't be noob. Uninstall please."
You: "Just trust me."
If they aren't convinced just pick teleport as a summoner spell and teleport to the mid turret.
PS: Stay positive (not kills, adittude), it will cause your team mates do what you ask them, and you will have more chances to win the game.
Congratulations, you reached the most important chapter in the whole guide!
Hopefully you listened to my tips and "Before Game".
Start your build (read it above if you didn't) and go mid.
While being at mid you should NOT try to harras your opponent.
Otherwise, you will die.
What you want to do is simply to kill minions with Alpha Strike.
May be a little bit tough, but the more you level up, the easier it becomes.
Now it's a good time to ask your team mates/jungler not to gank mid, because simply you're not looking for kills at the moment.
Before you know it you'll actually harras your opponent with Alpha Strike.
Right now you should focus though on the minions.
As soon reaching level 9, ask your jungler if he minds that you will take the next blue buff appears.
Of course, if you don't have a jungler, you don't need to ask.
Anyways, right now even if you're facing the most OP champ ever, you can harras him and use Meditate when he harrases you.
Although, you still focus only on the minions.
Once you're level 6, you get Highlander.
Keep Alpha Strikeing the minions and keep doing it until the enemy has low health.
Then Use the R,E,Q,BA,BA,BA... Combo to kill the enemy Champion.
Which is obviously:
Highlander - Wuju Style - Alpha Strike - Basic Attack - Basic Attack - Basic Attack...
Now this is a weird part - Don't, Destroy, Enemy, Turret.
Yep, you want to let the minions destroy the enemy turret because it'll take them more time, means more minion waves for you, means more gold for you, means faster build, means more kills means more chances to win.
Let's get up (or down in your case) to the mid game!
Probably mid is the only lane right now with 6 turrets not destroyed.
Well, you simply keep farming, FARM FARM FARM FARM VILLE.
Sooner or later the minions destroy the turret, and you'll be forced to get to a team fight, which is - The Late game.
At late game probably you have lots of team fights, basically, harras your enemies with Alpha Strike, which should be overpowered right now.
Anyways just harras, let your team mates do the work, and then just pick off the kills with highlander.
When the main threat of the enemies is down, push through inhibitors
Playing Aginst Champions In Mid
Here I will be explaining what enemies you will be seeing in mid, and what you should do.
I'll also will add difficulty rating.
Fiddlesticks is a very good mid, although, he is very Mana Depended (like you early game).
As soon reaching level 5, instead of taking your own blue, take his.
This will cause him to recall as soon as you harras him to less than 30% health and will make things much easier.
• The strategy is - Make him low on mana, he can't use drain, he's doomed.
Difficulty: Easy - Medium
Now I've seen Sivir a lot of times in middle, although, she's not as hard as you may think.
If you took the flat armor runes early game will be a bit easier.
And if you don't know, you get more and more Armor the more you level up.
Simply, I'd recommend staying out of Sivirs way until you're about level 11, when you have plenty of Armor.
• The strategy is: Don't take a lot of damage, deliver quick bursts, kill.
Vladimir at mid is the same tactics as Fiddlesticks, but easier because his heal doesn't do as much damage!
So again, when reaching level 5, take his blue instead of yours, and you're set to go.
• The strategy is: Don't let him get mana, and you're good.
I bet you've been waiting for this one.
Karthus, a very tough mid.
He can use Wall of Pain on you to lower your Magic Resist and speed, and then Lay Waste you until you have to recall.
Now what you have to do is: When he uses his Wall of Pain, you get out of the wall and use Meditate to get more magic resist.
If he did not use Wall of Pain but you have the feeling he's about to use Lay Waste simply keep navigating around the map and remember to switch your route or he will know where you're about to be.
If he uses Requiem you obviously use Meditate.
• The strategy is: Counter his attacks with Meditate to get health and magic resist, then harras him to death.
Difficulty: Medium - Hard
Farming - Killing minions for gold.
Here are a few golden rules:
- You farm with your Alpha Strike period.
- You tank the minions if they're too close to the turrets not to lose gold.
- You don't get out of your lane until you got tons of gold.
- You go to get items only if your enemy is dead or away so he won't outlevel/outgold you.
- You don't push back if he's pushing, harras near the turret and hope for luck with minions.
Team Fights + Endgame Winning Combo
The teamfight part has pretty much got explained at late game part.
Although, if you're 1v1 or chasing your enemies? You need to know more!
The endgame winning combo:
A - Alpha Strike
B - Meditate
C - Wuju Style
D - Highlander
E - Basic Attack
This combo always works if you have your build completed.
Of course, if he runs away, use Alpha Strike Again!
Screenshots [How Your Stats Should Be]
If you don't belive me that this guide is very good, or just want a proof.
Take a look at these screenshots.
Sadly, my best match [20/0/5] was taken off due to playing too much more afterwards.
But come on, you belive me. Right?
- 14/8/2012 - Guide Published.
- 14/8/2012 - Fixed minor errors.
- 15/8/2012 - Fixed BBCode errors, inserted pictures, and some more things to make the guide look better to the eye.
- 15/8/2012 - Fixed BBCode errors and some grammar errors.
- 16/8/2012 - Adding a new chapter - "Playing Aginst Champions In Mid"
- 16/8/2012 - Realise my build had a bug and it's messed up, currently fixing that.
- 17/8/2012 - Fixed a minor error that has been forgotten.
- 18/8/2012 - BBCode practice time. Added pictures, fixed mistakes, and more.
- 18/8/2012 - Item change. Now it is recommended to pick up Boots of Speed, 1 Health Potion, and 2 Mana Potions in the beginning of the match.
- 2/10/2012 - Guide is still up to date.