Malphite Build Guide by Skye
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
(Update - Sorry I have not updated for a while guys.. I'm currently going through a lot & just recently my fiance of years cheated, & left me.. I'll get back to you guys when I can.)
(Update 2 - At this point it probably seems like I'm making excuses.. But I have no motivation to play league. Going back into my depressed days, & can't enjoy even my favorite of games/activities. Sometimes once in a while I still play & test out new builds just for you guys. I'll update this sometime.. I promise. Sorry again guys. And thanks for all the support. <3)
(Update 3 [8/1/2013] - I made a new account a few months back because my ex fiance stole my old account. I am playing league again & working on going to platinum at the moment. I don't play much malphite anymore, but I shall return to update this guide :) For now just go look at PSIguards amazing guide.
Hello, my name is Skye & welcome to my very first guide! This guide will obviously be on Malphite. One of my favorite Counters top & Jungler. This is my first guide, so don't be to harsh. So before down voting, please tell me what you think I should change & what not. Not only do I want criticism, I encourage it!
For people telling me this build is bad, try it first. It's a lot more viable than you think, & I've used it in ranked many times. I'm also working on a typical tanky jungler build too.
so then you can't complain about the builds. >:D It's a site for guides, not just builds..
I also provide situational & alternatives items anyways.
Currently in the progress of making an entire Solo Top section.
+ Granite Shield makes it hard to be harassed.
+ Brutal Strikes passive is great for jungle clearing.
+ CC & A Debuff
+ AMAZING at initiating
- CC isn't as great without his ultimate.
- Weak against heavy AP teams.
- Very mana dependent early on
Greater Seal of Armor: Flat armor is absolutely needed in S3 jungling.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: Magic resist isn't needed in the jungle, so it's best to get per level for late game.
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: Replace MR per level with this if you are playing against a heavy AP comp & need the extra MR for early ganks.
Greater Quintessence of Armor: More armor, more damage.
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed: To get around places quicker.
: 4 points here for that extra hp.
Tough Skin & Bladed Armor : 2 points in tough skin and 1 in bladed armor for healthier and faster clears in the jungle.
Hardiness : 3 points here for the extra armor which goes well with our W. ( Brutal Strikes)
Unyielding & Block : 2 points in unyielding and 1 in block for some damage mitigation from champions.
Veteran's Scars : 1 point in here for the extra HP.
Safeguard: 1 point in here to tower dive like a BOSS.
Juggernaut : 3 points in juggernaut for maximum hp & it goes very well with all of the HP we will be building.
Tenacious : 1 point here for that CC reduction.
Reinforced Armor : 1 point here for them pesky AD carries.
Honor Guard : 1 point in here for general damage mitigation.
: For the CD on our flash. Unless you pick Ghost, ignite, or exhaust.
Wanderer : 3 points in here allow us to reach lanes quicker.
Improved Recall : Quicker recall time. Mainly we get this to reach further down the utility tree.
Mastermind : Summoner Spells come back sooner. Always a good thing.
Runic Affinity : This is why we spec into the utility tree. If you honestly don't want it, then put these points into the offense tree 4/4 Mental Force , 4/4 Sorcery , 1/1 Arcane Knowledge .
Jungling Summoner Spells
You should ALWAYS get this if you are jungling. I don't care how fast you can take that Lizard Mr. Shaco. I can walk right over & smite it & take it from you. Smite secures buffs, dragon, & most importantly baron. There is no reason to not get this if you are jungling..
Laning Summoner Spells
This is good for chasing or escaping. But what's really great about this is lowering the damage output of the enemy you used it on. Using this on an AD carry in a team fight in conjunction with our Ground Slam, Randuin's Omen, Frozen Heart can really hurt an AD carries potential.
Granite Shield (passive): Malphite's skin innately produces a layer of rock as a shield which absorbs damage of up to 10% of his maximum health. The shield will recharge if Malphite has not received damage in the last 10 seconds.
- Granite Shield is great for taking a lot less damage when jungling. Make sure before clearing out the next jungle camp your passive is back up. This saves a good bit of health.
- Late game Granite Shield is very strong. You can take a lot of tower hits without even losing health if you built enough armor.
- Building armor, magic resist, & health scales well with effectiveness.
Seismic Shard: Malphite sends a shard of the earth through the ground at his target, dealing magic damage upon impact and slowing them for 4 seconds. Additionally, Malphite will increase his own movement speed for 4 seconds by the same amount of flat movement speed that the target lost.
- When in a tough position & can't outrun the enemy, try hitting them or even a minion with Seismic Shard. Not only will it slow your enemy, but also Speed you up.
- The faster the enemy, the faster you will go.
Brutal Strikes (Passive): Malphite's autoattacks will splash, dealing a percentage of his attack damage to nearby enemies.
(Active): Increases Malphite's armor and attack damage by a percentage for 6 seconds.
- The passive is great for jungle clears & in teamfights your basic will be doing AOE damage.
- Activate Brutal Strikes first in a teamfight. It will increase damage & armor.
- Activating Brutal Strikes before using Ground Slam will boost your armor, and & the damage on Ground Slam
Ground Slam: Malphite slams the ground, dealing magic damage to all nearby enemies and reducing their attack speed for 3 seconds.
- Ground Slam scales with armor. So the tankier you are, the more you hurt. ;]
- Ground Slam isn't just for damage, it's also a AS slow debuff. This in conjunction with our other items Randuin's Omen & Frozen Heart really cripples the AD range carry.
- Make sure to use Brutal Strikes before Ground Slam for the best effect.
Unstoppable Force: Malphite charges to the target location, dealing magic damage to all enemies in the area, knocking them into the air for 1.5 seconds. Malphite cannot be interrupted during his charge by anything except his own death.
- The knock up from Unstoppable Force is not reduced by tenacity.
- Unstoppable Force is an amazing initiater. You can go through walls, to catch your enemies by surprise, or even use it to escape. Try to hit as much enemies together as possible.
- Unstoppable Force can not be interrupted unless you die.
- Using Unstoppable Force on channeled ult's such as Fiddlesticks Crowstorm, Karthuses Requiem, Shens Stand United, or Katarinas Death Lotus will interrupt them.
Jungling starter items
Starting boots & 3 health potions is great for early mobility & sustain. These starting items allow us to jungle faster, & gank faster. And stay at a safer health level in case of counter-junglers.
Laning starter items
Starting Regrowth pendant & A health potion is great for sustaining. If your shield is up you wont take damage from harass & get your health back easily. This also allows us to quickly rush a philosopher's stone for even more sustain & gold income.
Have your allies help you with blue golem & use your Ground Slam & just auto attack till it's dead. Then put a point into Brutal Strikes & head on over to Red Lizard.
If nobody needs help or the lanes are far to pushed, head back to the jungle & farm. A big mistake you can make is ganking way to much. Sure this may get you or your teammates some kills. But doing this to much can actually be a bad thing & you can get VERY under leveled or behind.
Hall of Fame
Wow I didn't expect my very first guide to make it in the top 5!
Thanks for the support guys!
Accidentally published. This is still being updated! Along with tons of other things. Working on Solo Top section right now.
Thanks for reading my guide, please leave me criticism, questions or suggestions.
If you are gonna down vote me, tell me why. Don't just say "this sucks". Let me know why it sucks & I may fix it. Then if you STILL think it sucks, you can down vote. ;P
Thanks to JhoiJhoi for the line dividers/separators!
& IceCreamy for the help with HTML/BBcoding!