Support Volibear w/ solo queue
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Volibear with this build
|Blitzcrank||Zone him and keep him in check, don't be too distant from the ADC so when you get grabbed you can flip e 2x aa ignite bite etc.|
|Tristana||Cast time of w too long, 100% flip or she flashes|
|Rengar||Easily flippable off the ADC and against more inexperienced Rengars, fightable|
Why play support Volibear - the big things
- Good leash for jungler with
- Secure level 2 first using - fearing their minions means yours will take longer to die and give experience to the enemy
- Low cooldown of for tower dives and close encounters
- Bite has good base values, you still benefit as a support stacking health through sightstone, face of the mountain, etc for scaling on
- synergises well with the rune set and passive to trade more effectively
- and allows you to catch opponents by surprise and with good planning turn it into an easy kill
- ADCs will often and at the same time to escape a bad fight, usually when they see you them. This can be used to quickly stack and activate , registering just as they flash, the damage enough to let the ticks finish them off as they limp away having burnt all summoner spells
- Presence alone - zoning is half the point of the playstyle; you won't necessarily have immediate damage to go toe to toe with , but just being in the right place can keep him away from your ADC
Why play support Volibear - the little things
Why not play support Volibear
Some matchups you will lose hard and are down to individual player skill and synergy with the ADC. Bad matchups include
. Most times you will need to be patient, zoning the enemy AD out of cs and controlling waves with your e.
This isn't a guide on "baiting your ADC into stupid ****". You will need to be able to gauge your ADC's capacity to follow you up on all ins. For example, your is 20 cs behind, the enemy has a item bf sword whereas vayne only has 2 daggers and a longsword. The enemy will definintely proc and meeps on vayne during the all in, all it would take is for to auto a few times and is dead. Pick your fights carefully, but don't worry too much about trading since will have your back most of the time.
During teamfights you aren't jungle/top volibear, you won't have had sufficient income to be able to tank everything. Fall back on your ADC, actively seek out to wreck whoever jumps on them. If the enemy you decided to flash flip all in, while ulted and killed your ADC, dash over a wall to safety you'll have most likely lost your main tower taker. This is legitimate supporting, helping your ADC.
I started out playing support volibear as a trolly pick, but in capable hands he shines as an aggressive snowballing support that can also double back as a meatshield, armed with a slow, flip and good base damage values. It's a refreshing break from mundane 20 minute meatshielding, watching your ADC get relentlessly zoned and poked, as well as squishy mage supporting with the likes of
around. Try it out, if you don't own him go for the free rotation, easy to pick up and be marching to their nexus.
edit: the small changes to Volibear's w and Grasp along with the meta changes to bot have rendered support Voli near useless, posted this all the same since I spent so long on it