Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

PBE Thresh Change

Creator: OTGBionicArm April 15, 2013 9:10pm
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2013 6:46pm | Report
This makes sense, but still saddens me. I liked 1v1ing ad carries early game as thresh. Now it seems we must wait till at least level two to do so, or somehow manage such a feat without a hook.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2013 8:11am | Report
Thresh's damage isn't the issue people, and even Riot doesn't see that. His only real damage is on his ultimate and yes, The Box has an amazing base damage and scaling which is utterly ridiculous. However, Thresh pretty much has it all. He has two interrupts of which both manipulate the enemy champion's position. A ridiculously powerful hook of which the range should scale with the rank. Right now it is at 1075 (Blitz Q is 900). Why can't it start at 800 and gain 75 per rank? Then it would end at a range of 1100 which is acceptable for the late-game.

The death sentence passive was switched to Flay.. but honestly, why is it even there? Remove it and up the base damages of his abilities. The latest update on Flay's base damage is a complete joke! 185 at last rank?!

Riot simply doesn't want to get rid of anything regarding Thresh since it all fits his design so well, and really, I love it as well. However, Thresh just needs to lose some early-game strength.

Looking for Thresh counters these days? Yorick, Nidalee and Blitz do well.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2013 8:13am | Report
He actually beats Blitz most the time. XD

Lulu and Zyra are the most effective counters imo
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2013 10:13am | Report
I don't think The Box is a problem; maybe the slow but I'm not really worried about the base damages either.

Zyra's ultimate does slightly less damage with a slightly lower ratio and it's a lot better on multiple grounds. It doesn't have the same slow and damage, but a lot of Zyra's build AP so that kind of makes up for it, it also doesn't require putting yourself in melee range to use. His ult also requires the enemy to run into it, where as Nami or Zyra's ult doesn't. I don't think The Box is the issue, I mean look at Nunu & Willump's Absolute Zero, it has much higher scaling and more easily affects multiple people than The Box. Granted it doesn't have the same movement speed slow, but it does slow attack speed, but nobody seems to point to this as issue nor did they when Nunu & Willump was a godtier support. So ya anyway, my conclusions are below:

If anything I have a problem with the free stats that he gets among other things in his kit:
It only requires something like 70 souls by level 18 to break even in terms of stats compared to most other supports. But getting 70 souls is extremely easy and can be done by 14-18 minutes depending on how lucky you are. Anything after that is free stats, not to mention the ratio caps out at .5 which isn't exactly bad. He's a late game hypersupport. That's not to mention his bonus damage on Q which scales with his souls and is also a strong form of CC, his lantern which is utterly broken, and his E and Ult which are two other forms of CC. The problem is he has ridiculous scailings and has a lot of utility and CC in his kit. He's like the pre-nerf Rengar of supports.
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2013 10:17am | Report
I secretly think Riot made Thresh overpowered on purpose because the community whined for a support for so long after Lulu and then *****ed when Nami "sucked", thus Thresh was thrown out to slap idiots in the face for asking for a better support.
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2013 10:52am | Report

Looking for Thresh counters these days? Yorick, Nidalee and Blitz do well.

god i hate nidalee support....dem spears are so ridic and the cooldown is like 2-3 seconds. i feel like i am a spear magnet too...can dodge most skill shots but for some reason i feel like the spears are heat seeking when i play XP

GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2013 10:58am | Report
Mooninites wrote:

I don't think The Box is a problem; maybe the slow but I'm not really worried about the base damages either.

Zyra's ultimate does slightly less damage with a slightly lower ratio and it's a lot better on multiple grounds. It doesn't have the same slow and damage, but a lot of Zyra's build AP so that kind of makes up for it, it also doesn't require putting yourself in melee range to use. His ult also requires the enemy to run into it, where as Nami or Zyra's ult doesn't. I don't think The Box is the issue, I mean look at Nunu & Willump's Absolute Zero, it has much higher scaling and more easily affects multiple people than The Box. Granted it doesn't have the same movement speed slow, but it does slow attack speed, but nobody seems to point to this as issue nor did they when Nunu & Willump was a godtier support. So ya anyway, my conclusions are below:

If anything I have a problem with the free stats that he gets among other things in his kit:
It only requires something like 70 souls by level 18 to break even in terms of stats compared to most other supports. But getting 70 souls is extremely easy and can be done by 14-18 minutes depending on how lucky you are. Anything after that is free stats, not to mention the ratio caps out at .5 which isn't exactly bad. He's a late game hypersupport. That's not to mention his bonus damage on Q which scales with his souls and is also a strong form of CC, his lantern which is utterly broken, and his E and Ult which are two other forms of CC. The problem is he has ridiculous scailings and has a lot of utility and CC in his kit. He's like the pre-nerf Rengar of supports.

Nah Zyra and Nunu ult aren't comparable since Thresh's damage on his ult is way higher, especially considering he gets free AP. However, I do agree on that his damage isn't even the major issue. His 3 basic abilities all manipulate champion position and his lantern has a whopping 1500 range which is just too much.

Mostly I also think that his mana consumption is the problem. His skills barely take up any mana, he has almost no mana issues at all which is just plain stupid.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2013 10:59am | Report

I secretly think Riot made Thresh overpowered on purpose because the community whined for a support for so long after Lulu and then *****ed when Nami "sucked", thus Thresh was thrown out to slap idiots in the face for asking for a better support.

Nah they didn't, they just came up with a very cool design they wanted to employ in the form of a support. Also a character like that simply cannot go without damage so they ended up making something as balanced as release Vladimir.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2013 11:05am | Report
I still feel like Thresh was originally a bruiser and they turned him support as a response to the community *****ing after Nami's release. Oh, that and they wanted a "male support (that isn't Taric)"
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2013 12:01pm | Report
i didn't know skeletons had ****s...

*cof...

anyway, I see the logic on The Box's base damage being high, since it works point blank, therefore you have to be in the mess. it's a return for investment.
Regardless, high CC is always op and yes, it is better than Blitzcrank's. SInce he gets free AP, i'd lean towards nerfing the ratio of The Box. or maybe take out from base the expected value of souls he'd have at lvl6/11/16, eventually dampening the subtraction if the values are too great.

Note: The Box has the same base damage as Requiem.

As requested to GMD himself.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide