Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Patch 5.16 Summary

Creator: Wayne3100 August 19, 2015 5:03pm
1 2 3 4
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 5:03pm | Report

Hello and welcome to the MOBAFire Patch Summary - 5.16!

Buckle up and get ready, we're in for a wild ride. Patch 5.16 is hitting the servers tonight, and it's without a doubt one of the biggest ones that have been released in a while.

Before you panic, there is some good news. If you're in the LCS and your team is currently trying to qualify for Worlds, you won't have to worry about these changes just yet, as the rest of the playoffs (including the gauntlet) will be played on Patch 5.14. Unfortunately, there's also bad news. You're probably not. These updates are coming, and they're coming fast.

Luckily, we're here to guide you through it, so stick with us as we highlight some of the key changes Riot has in store for us, including the Juggernaut gameplay update ( Darius, Garen, Mordekaiser and Skarner), a rather long list of champions buffs and nerfs, the addition of two new items, a bunch of updates to existing items and of course new upcoming skins. Let's get straight to it!

Champion Updates

WTF DID THEY DO TO MY CHAMPION?!
quick access for concerned players

!
!
!
!
Darius
Garen
Skarner
Mordekaiser
-
-
-
Ahri
Alistar
Azir
Elise
+
-
+
+
Kassadin
Kayle
Leblanc
Lee Sin
+
+
+
+
Lissandra
Lucian
Nasus
Nami
+
-
+
+
Rammus
Rumble
Tahm Kench
Teemo
+
-
+
+
Twitch
Viktor
Vel'Koz
Volibear
+
+

Zac
Zed

! = Rework / Gameplay Update* = Mostly bugfix(es) and/or display changes+ = Buff- = Nerf~ = Mixed

Because there are a lot more changes than usual in this patch, we'll split this section up in two parts. First, we'll have a look at the champions affected by the Juggernaut Gameplay Update, starting with Darius. Once we've reviewed all four of those, we'll highlight some of the other noteworthy buffs and nerfs.

The most notable change to Darius' kit is the addition of Bloodrage to his passive, which is a state he enters for 5 seconds upon reaching 5 stacks on an opponent or killing an enemy champion with his ultimate, Noxian Guillotine. Upon entering Bloodrage, Darius gains 40-200 bonus Attack Damage and applies max Hemorrhage stacks to enemies with basic attacks or Decimate's Blade. He will also receive significantly more AD per level, though the base damages of his Q and ultimate have been lowered to compensate for the changes that should turn him into a penta-killing machine.

Though all of Garen's abilities have received small changes, the one change to note is that he will now brand the enemy champion with the most recent kill a Villain. His auto attacks and Judgment deal bonus damage to this champion, while his ultimate, Demacian Justice, deals true damage to this champion instead of magic damage.

Skarner is receiving a new passive - Threads of Vibration - which will alter his gameplay significantly. His presence will now spawn crystals across the map, which can be captured by both teams much like the capture points on the Crystal Scar map. Skarner gains Movement Speed, Attack Speed and restores a percentage of his Mana every second while being near a captured crystal.

Last but not least, there's Mordekaiser, who is being reworked to become a duo lane juggernaut (replacing the ADC). Key to this change is his new W ( Harvesters of Sorrow), which allows him to gain full experience from minions he kills even while laning together with someone else. Another big change is that Children of the Grave now curses Dragon: if Mordekaiser's team slays it, he will now claim the ghost of the Dragon while losing any champion ghosts he has active.

...Yeah, I know. Just let that sink in for a bit.

As said, there are also a bunch of "regular" champion changes in this patch on top of this gameplay update. However, because we've given you enough to read in this section, we'll take a different approach here. Below are what we believe - in no particular order - to be the top 3 buffs and top 3 nerfs of Patch 5.16:

Zac

Elastic Slingshot ⇒ Range
OLD 1150/1250/1350/1450/1550
NEW 1200/1350/1500/1650/1800

Lee Sin

Flurry ⇒ Energy Return
OLD 15 energy per hit
NEW 20 energy on the first attack, 10 energy on the second

Dragon's Rage ⇒ NEW
Enemy champions that collide with the target take 15/18/21% of the target's bonus health as physical damage

Lissandra

Frozen Tomb ⇒ NEW
Self-casting Frozen Tomb now heals Lissandra for 100/150/200 + (0.3 ability power + 1% per 1% of your missing health)

Elise

Neurotoxin ⇒ Damage
OLD 40/75/110/145/180 + 8% of target's current health
NEW 40/75/110/145/180 +4% of target's current health

Ahri

Essence Theft ⇒ Healing
OLD 3~20 (2 + 1 per champion level) per unit hit
NEW 3/5/9/18 per unit hit (at levels 1/6/11/16)

Rumble

The Equalizer ⇒ Cooldown
OLD 105/90/75 seconds
NEW 120/110/100 seconds

Make sure to check the "WTF DID THEY DO TO MY CHAMPION?!" table at the start of this section for any other champions you're interested in.

Item Changes

Not only does this patch have a big set of changes in store for League of Legends champions, there are also a ton of items which are being changed. For almost all defensive items which are being changed, this means there are slight changes to the gold cost and/or stats, with Thornmail and Randuin's Omen being the two we felt were worth highlighting.

From now on, Thornmail will at first only reflect 15% of the damage from enemy auto attacks (down from 30%), but it has received a 0.25 bonus Armor scaling, meaning champions such as Rammus will be able to gain higher values than before. Meanwhile, Randuin's Omen will provide less Armor and Health (at a slightly lower cost), but has also gained a passive which reduces incoming critical strike damage by 10%.

Moving onto "Juggernaut Itemization", Warmog's Armor has been changed to become an anti-siege item, as it will now restores 3% of a champion's maximum Health per second if damage hasn't been taken within 8 seconds. On top of that, Sterak's Gage is a new anti-aoe purchase which provides a Health-based shield when taking large amounts of damage in a short amount of time, and Titanic Hydra is the tanky alternative to Ravenous Hydra, providing Health instead of Lifesteal.

Upcoming Skins

As if all of that is not enough, there are also six upcoming skins in patch 5.16, which are spread across the two combined splash arts displayed below. The Project skins which were teased during a recent LCS stream will be part of a later patch.

As far as the price is concerned, the two skins on the left will cost 1350 RP upon release, while the four on the right will be available for 750 RP.

Share Your Thoughts!

I think we've said more than enough, so it's time to kick it back over to you guys. Let us know: which of the updated Juggernauts will you be trying out once this patch is live? Do you agree with our top 3 of buffs and nerfs? What are your thoughts on the new items, and which champion do you think will they be efficient on? And finally, will you be picking up any of the new skins? Leave your comments below!

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 5:08pm | Report
Lucian buffs.

Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 5:43pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:
Lucian buffs.

The W thing might actually be something.

He still sucks though.

I think I'm actually liking this patch. Send help.

The Riven skin art looks pretty awesome, I really liked what I think was the inspiration for this too though:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=cE1HWh6u_hw&t=110
http://ptcrow.tumblr.com/post/110980287811/arcade-zac-x-riven

EDIT: The Blitz one is not really my thing on the other hand, so I'll Definitely Not get it.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
RottedApples
<Inhouse Addict>
RottedApples's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 9:00pm | Report
so i want to point out that steraks is BASE AD which does infact mean it will make your triforce procs stronger.

Signature is from Ninja_Trigger's champion mastery thread!
New and slightly improved version is still up to date >HERE!<
Nex The Slayer
<Member>
Nex The Slayer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2015 9:09am | Report
I would just like to point out that Crippling Strike no longer scales in anyway. Meaning their is no point in putting a point in it outside of a 1s cooldown reduction...

Also Bloodrage and Mordekaiser ability to get a pet Dragon is terrifying O_O

Can't wait to play both of them!
RottedApples
<Inhouse Addict>
RottedApples's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2015 12:03pm | Report
also i think morde now has the highest base ad at level 18 of anyone in the game with this patch.

Signature is from Ninja_Trigger's champion mastery thread!
New and slightly improved version is still up to date >HERE!<
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2015 12:05pm | Report
Holy **** he does. Cho gath has dropped from tied with Skarner to third highest Base AD. Interesting.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2015 12:15pm | Report
Riven doesn't deserve skins anymore.
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2015 12:37pm | Report
The Riven skin is nice but all the others kinda suck a lot. Also they kinda made Randuin's look like ****, but other than that I see no changes that directly affect me, so nice.

by jhoijhoi
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2015 4:12pm | Report
Quoted:
The Riven skin is nice but all the others kinda suck a lot. Also they kinda made Randuin's look like ****, but other than that I see no changes that directly affect me, so nice.

But the other skins are so anime.
Imma 'bout to end this man's whole career
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide