Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Official Mobafire PC thread

Creator: Vynertje August 3, 2015 11:59am
541 posts - page 9 of 55
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2015 5:40pm | Report
Alright, I'm up awake again. I think it's a matter of contact, rather than a lack of paste. I'll check it out.

When I removed the heat sink and saw this greyish blue stuff, so I assumed it was glue or something and left it, and now I'm aware that's the thermal paste. So yeah, there's definitely some still there.

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2015 1:59am | Report
That's not how it works. When you apply thermal paste, it's in fluid state. You put heatsink on which presses on paste and spreads it on your cpu plate, then it solidifies. The thing is, cpu plate and heatsink bottom plate are not completely flat, both have small hollows and thermal paste fills those up then it solidifies and makes surface 100% connected between cpu and cooler.

When there is no air between cooler and cpu heat can transmit efficiently and you'll get those temperatures that are advertised on cooler; but when you remove cooler and just put it back on, surface won't be connected 100% and there will be air between which won't transmit heat efficiently and your temperatures will be higher.
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2015 2:11am | Report
Vaan99 wrote:
That's not how it works. When you apply thermal paste, it's in fluid state. You put heatsink on which presses on paste and spreads it on your cpu plate, then it solidifies. The thing is, cpu plate and heatsink bottom plate are not completely flat, both have small hollows and thermal paste fills those up then it solidifies and makes surface 100% connected between cpu and cooler.

When there is no air between cooler and cpu heat can transmit efficiently and you'll get those temperatures that are advertised on cooler; but when you remove cooler and just put it back on, surface won't be connected 100% and there will be air between which won't transmit heat efficiently and your temperatures will be higher.

Oh, I've been out and about all day, so I haven't checked it yet, but if I press it down so it's touching and somehow get it to stay there, will it cool down? Or will I have to apply a new layer of thermal paste? I have no issue with getting some more, and I'm confident in my ability to follow an Internet guide, if it's unnecessary, I won't go get more. So what would be the best course of action?
Imma 'bout to end this man's whole career
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
ri]
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2015 2:33am | Report
You first have to remove old layer and then apply new one. I'd really suggest you to do that, you have nothing to lose and your temperatures can only be better, also paste should be very cheap.
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2015 2:48am | Report
Just a quick word of advice in case you havn't started yet:
Let your cpu heat up a bit before turning off your computer and starting the actual work. This causes the Thermal paste to be fluid-ish and much easier to deal with.
Thanks to IPodPulse for this <3^
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2015 2:50am | Report
Yeah, I'm going to have to do it tomorrow. Nothing is open on a Sunday night. Will report back when I get around to it.

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 17, 2015 12:54am | Report
Alright guys, I opened up my case, removed the old heatsink compound like it's dog **** on my shoe (using an antiseptic that contained isopropyl, what was recommended on the internet and what was readily available to me) and applied some new gunk. The result?

A computer that runs at 30oC idle, and never reaches up to the previous 90oC+ like it used to. It hasn't even reached over 70oC yet. Rowdy as.
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
ri]
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 17, 2015 2:51am | Report
Good job!

I'm glad it helped you, it maybe wasn't due to thermal paste, it's possible that your cooler wasn't properly attached, but it doesn't matter anymore. Enjoy your proper CPU performance that won't be underclocking itself anymore.
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 17, 2015 7:34am | Report
Alright, another problem has arisen.

For some reason, all game other than League are causing my computer to crash about 30 seconds or so into starting them. Any ideas as to why this could be? I tried three games. League didn't crash. Rocket League caused my computer to crash. Yandere Simulator of all things crashed my computer.

To give a general idea as to what happens, the sound from the case suddenly grows really loud, I'm guessing from the fans, as soon as I boot up a game. About 30 seconds in, my monitor turns into "DUI Power Saving Mode" (LG Flatron e2711 monitor if it matters), and then an awful buzzing sound comes from the speakers. I haven't waited long enough to see what happens if I leave it, but I've just restarted my computer everytime.

If I had to make a guess with my limited knowledge, it's got to be something to do with the graphics card. The monitor signal gets stuffed up, and that's attached to the driver. I also removed the graphic's card fan when cleaning and didn't apply any more heatsink compound, so that could also be an issue.

But yeah, other than that, no clue.
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
ri]
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 18, 2015 4:52am | Report
Okay, I am aware that this is a PC thread, but you prolly understand how to work with Android too, right? I have this little problem here, you know...

Somehow, I finished charging my phone last night and after 1-2 hours of use (mostly using Chrome), it's battery dropped all the way down from ~90% to 15%. Now, this is my very first smartphone and I'm certainly not an expert (YET!), but I figured this couldn't possibly be normal. When I opened up the "Battery" tab, this screen popped up. Apparently, "MediaServer" is eating... no, pardon... DEVOURING my battery. 80% is definitely not normal.

I have no idea what to do. I know "MediaServer" is used by other apps (media apps, I suppose) but this phone is so new I didn't even have time to put music in it (in case you're wondering, it's a Wiko Ridge). I tried uninstalling recent apps, to no avail. I installed Battery Doctor and after cleaning up, it seems to have helped a little bit (the % eaten by the ***** went down from 86% to 78%).

So, yeah... I'd appreciate any help I could get. Once again, I am sorry if this is the wrong topic to post this.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide