Trundle Build Guide by tradtrad
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Trundle with this build
|Yorick||Yorick is a pretty boring lane because you both have a lot of sustain, him through his e and you through the fact that the death of his ghouls procs your passive, therefore since neither of you can kill each other the lane itself is easy, the only annoying thing is that he gets damage resistance through his passive that you cannot steal, he also lacks an escape so is easier to chase than most other champs.|
Introduction - About Me
Hi, I'm EpilepticRabbit, from the EUW server, I have recently hit Plat 5 and I love trundle, and yes I'm not proud of that but hey-ho what can be done about it, I'm here today to make a guide about Trundle. I try to play as much ranked as possible but if you look me up you will find this guide to be "unreliable" as I am low experience in comparison to some other plat/diamond players. The reason why I made this guide is because he is underrated and underplayed and there is no season 4 guide for top lane Trundle so i decided to make it. And I suck at coding, I try to use as much as I can but that's not going to be much. So no columns, colours, lists etc. If someone could help me code the masteries that have more than one word in them that would be great, there will be a hall of fame for you :D. I will also try to make this guide as (un)funny as possible; so please excuse the bad jokes.
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
Greater Quintessence of Life Steal
- This is OP, it can never be replaced and early game trades, especially against auto attack champs is a piece of pie, those naughty Rengars and Garens. Good against poke lanes such as Jayce and Darius 9 x Greater Seal of Armor for me always.
Another less common option (though more expensive) is the Greater Seal of Scaling Health Regeneration it is quite good for sustain over long periods of times against a Shen or Vladimir. It is increased by 40% if you have Spirit Visage and standing on top of your Frozen Domain.
This is good against AP champs and late game vs fed midlaners. This is usually my choice for Trundle as it finishes his natural tankiness with the masteries. It is also good against poke champs and low cd spam champs such as Zac and Vladimir, in fact come to think of it it is good against the sustain champs so, yeah. So again a solid 9 x Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
- GO RAMBO, this is very good and helps you trade as well as sustain, pretty good however only 2 are needed as there needed (2 x Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage )to leave space for..
- Greater Quintessence of Life Steal x 1. This works in harmony with your passive King's Tribute and Frozen Domain, although a 3rd AD quint is viable i prefer this as it works well with the Bilgewater Cutlass early on. 2% lifesteal isn't alot late game but it's always good with Spirit Visage try using this, if you don't like it use a 3rd Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage.
Runes for in the jungle
Greater Mark of Attack Speed
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Seal of Scaling Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
Greater Quintessence of Life Steal
- Take 6 of these to help you clear out the camps early.
- x3 You will spend a lot of the early levels in your jungle and you will need some scaling armor for when you pop out, these become more efficient than the flat seals at level 9 so all's good.
- 6 of these because in early levels there will be some magic damage from champions you gank aswell as the ones you duel, especically with enchantment: magus or Enchantment: Runeglaive such as Diana or Fiddlesticks who's Drain you can interrupt with Pillar of Ice
- 3 of these, same reason as the seals.
- The reason I take this is because it helps with ganks, and when you have no gap closers it makes it that much easier and it also scales with your Frozen Domain.
- Papa needs his sustain, works well with his passive and attack speed marks.
Ok, this is gonna be a very long list so I won't write a deal for each one, just a summary.
Double-Edged Sword this is best on melee champs and since trundle is so tanky he can afford to get this, it is also a better alternative than a 4th point in Fury as he gets a lot of attack speed with his Frozen Domain. Fury this is also only good at pre-6 levels since it becomes useless after, it can be swapped for Sorcery instead.
Expose Weakness is the best choice in this row, although it doesn't help a lot itself, it does work for ganks and for you q Chomp Brute Force this is a good mastery to scale into late game, but it doesn't give that much raw stats.
Martial Mastery this is very good early game as it will scale with your runes and [dorans blade] for a total of 84 AD at level 1. +4 damage yes please.
I put 2 points into Block to make me stronger in early poke and trades, with your armor this will be good. 2 points in Recovery for your in lane sustain, this will also be increased by Frozen Domain and another 2 points in Enchanted Armor .
Unyielding is pretty good and makes you way tankier aswell as reducing all damage from champions by 2, this means that with block auto attacks do 4 less. if you choose to start with a Doran's Shield they do 12 less, and with your armor that is even less however they do have armor penetration sometimes so this isn't actual fact.
Veteran Scars this is good early game and it will increase by 3% if you take Juggernaut which you should take. This will make your 3000 hp into 3100, and so on, and you can't tell me you've never seen a Teemo running away with less than 100 hp.
Oppression This is good as Trundle has at least 3 slows with his Blade of the Ruined King. This makes his trading a lot stronger which is what he's all about.
The reason why I like Hardiness is because it is a free stat which cannot be obtained any other way and you can never have enough armor with this guy, especially when you want to 1v3.
Swiftness and Tenacious , because this guy is piss easy to kite you need as much CC reduction as you can get, this is why you should get Mercury's Treads as they are the only viable CC reduction item he should get, unless you have a Garenteed victory and you want to experiment with Zephyr.
Perseverance I am going to Rumble i mean ramble on about Frozen Domain because it is the difference maker between a good Trundle player and a bad one. Perseverance can save you when you are being burned by ignite, if you are mega lucky, other than that it is good at keeping in lane at low health, your Frozen Domain will increase this and and your Second Wind which is why this guy is so hard to kill at low health.
Pros / Cons
+ Good Trades
+ Good Sustain
+ Good Chase
+ Anti-Tank, while being tanky
+ Good in prolonged teamfights
+ Can easily 2v1
Trundle's ability to counter tanks in the current meta is very high which is why I'm surprised why he isn't played more, he has good sustain and can outtrade a lot of auto attack reliant champions due to his attack damage steal. He is a stat thief.[/columns]
- Weak Pre-6
- Weak against burst damage
- Easy to kite
- Cannot carry solo
- Lacks CC which would explain why he isn't picked more often
- Ignite and Morellonomicon really hurt him
If he had more CC I can only imagine how overpowered he would be, however due to his lack of stuns or roots he is not played more, he also cannot carry on his own.
Starting item choices,
Doran the Historian
AND - Doran has an item for everyone and he certainly has one or 2 for trundle, I start with a Doran's Blade as i like to go for first blood however a Doran's Shield is just as good for passive players who like to farm. The +5 on each hit turns to +6 if you use Frozen Domain and it also increases the health regen from Doran's Shield to 12per5 inside it. Always get a Health Potion and a Warding Totem however a Sweeping Lens is good against Teemo.
Much huehuehue - 1st back
- Bilgewater Cutlass is the core item for the troll king n your first back, the active on it will help you win many a fight. The eztra attack damage is perfect as is the lifesteal for sustain, this will also build into your #1 item, the Hextech Gunblade. OF COURSE NOT THAT But seriously now, the Blade of the Ruined King.
- Boots of Speed are very good on trundle early, hard to evade especially with his Pillar of Ice + Frozen Domain combo. Also a Stealth Ward is good because you don't want to get ganked as your speed boosts and CC have pretty high cooldowns so if you've just wasted them you#re in a heap of trouble.
- If you don't buy this item on Trundle stop reading this guide and go read a cooking manual (wtf) succulence Morgana will help with that. Blade of the Ruined King has a godlike active in simultaneous use with your ultimate Subjugate. Thats about 40% of their health gone in 2 spells and 0.2 of a second considering their resistances, use subjugate first so that you get their magic resist to increase the damage done by Blade of the Ruined King
- Spirit Visage What stats from this doesn't he need? It is like Frozen Domain's twin brother. Get these 2 items and YOU WILL beat anyone 1v1, which other tend to underestimate. CD, yes please, healing increase, yes please, health, yes please,magic resist, yes please, health regen , yes please.
- Randuin's Omen this is the best item for armor as it gives health too and has an active, the best choice against auto attack based champions such as ADC's and Fiora, Master Yi, Tryndamere, Jax and Olaf. Try to get this if you can.
BY THIS TIME THE GAME IS PROBABLY FINISHED OR GG. SO YOU WON'T GET THESE ITEMS MOST LIKELY BUT I'LL PUT THEM HERE ANYWAY.
/ Frozen Mallet is extremely good for kiting and for chasing, will 5 slows you won't be stopped. Remember to use your actives. Iceborn Gauntlet is the alternative to frozen mallet since it works well with your q as you proc the spellblade frequently, it also gives some cc to help chasing.
AND Sunfire Cape and The Black Cleaver, these items are the last damage item you will get, if they have tanks get The Black Cleaver if you are doing all the damage and have long teamfights Sunfire Cape is the way to go, this is because in sustained teamfights you will be in the middle of everything and sunfires will damage a lot of enemies, it will also kill minions which will proc your passive.
- Guardian Angel is a stupid item to buy unless you have no damage dealers and your adc is far behind. Only try this when you're ahead or in last resorts.
/ - Personally I don't like this item because it requires you to go full tank which is boring and starts pillow fights with other tanks, however you are more than welcome to try it, especially when you have a squishy jungler/support.
- Although I haven't tested it much when I did it worked wonders, it really helps you in the trades and in teamfights where you are taking damage all the time from every direction, build this after boots/ Spirit Visage/ Blade of the Ruined King, the mid game fighting spike it gives you is unreal however it does fall off very late in the game around 50 minutes. It also doesn't give any resistances.
Jungle Item Discussion
: This is good if you want to snowball your tea mearly and want to duel early against champions Lee Sin.
: This is the best option now since it helps you scale into late game and gives you so much attack speed which you need and on hit effects since all your damage is from autos. This procs on your Chomp too so you will use this a lot and it will contribute to your damage heavily.
: Still pretty strong late game however you will see more of Shyvana and Warwick coming back so you should only pick this if your toplaner is a strong tank and scales decently well into late game for example Cho'Gath.
SpellsPassive King's Tribute
Whenever an enemy unit near Trundle dies, he absorbs its life force and heals for 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6% of its maximum health. When an enemy unit dies next to you, you will heal for that % of the targets health, this is really good for sustain as you don't even need to attack the minions to get the passive, for example a minion has 500 hp, if you heal for 2% f its hp you will get 10 hp from it, with Spirit Visage it is 12, and with Frozen Domain it will be 14.
Chomp COOLDOWN: 4 COST: 30 MANA
ACTIVE: Trundle bites his target with this next basic attack, dealing physical damage equal to a base amount plus a percentage of his attack damage and slowing his target by 75% for 0.1 seconds.
This attack increases Trundle's attack damage for 8 seconds, with his opponent losing half of this amount for the same duration.
PHYSICAL DAMAGE: 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 (+ 100 / 105 / 110 / 115 / 120% AD)
ATTACK DAMAGE BONUS: 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40
This gives a short slow however I wouldn't complain about it as it has a very good chasing ability, it also gives Trundle some AD, of this amount the enemy loses half. This has a low cooldown and low mana cost, it can also be used to push towers quicker.
Frozen Domain RANGE: 900 COOLDOWN: 15 COST: 60 MANA
ACTIVE: Trundle coats a target 1000-radius area with ice for 8 seconds, gaining increased movement speed, attack speed, and healing and regeneration from all sources while he is on it.
MOVEMENT SPEED: 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40%
ATTACK SPEED: 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80%
HEALING AND REGENERATION INCREASE: 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20%
Frozen Domain gives you increased move speed and attack speed, this is the best item you have for trades as it makes opponents miss judge your trading potential, if you can don't use it at the start and then pop it as it will save you, it can be used as an escape, however it can only last 8 seconds so use this wisely, Frozen Domain should be used before Subjugate and the active from Blade of the Ruined King this will make the heals stronger and make you so too, this is the best combo for Trundle in fights. W-R-Blade. this ability also stacks with Spirit Visage which is why those 2 items are so key for Trundle
Pillar of Ice RANGE: 1000 COOLDOWN: 23 / 20 / 17 / 14 / 11 COST: 60 MANA
Pillar of Ice
ACTIVE: Trundle summons an impassable pillar of ice at a target location for 6 seconds. Enemies caught in the center of the eruption are briefly knocked back. The pillar blocks movement within 62.5 range and slows enemies within 187.5 range.
Pillar of Ice works like Anivia's Crystallize in the way that it blocks off a path, this has a very big range so can be used to save allies or "troll" them. it is also good for escaping or blocking enemies from escaping, this makes it a good utility so max this last, it also has a slow which is always nice. This can also be used to cancel channeling spells such as Requiem and Absolute Zero aslong as the target is alive. cough cough Karthus.
Subjugate RANGE: 700 COOLDOWN: 80 / 70 / 60 COST: 75 MANA
ACTIVE: Trundle drains the life force out of an enemy champion, dealing magic damage equal to a percentage of their maximum health and healing himself for the same amount, as well as stealing 40% of their armor and magic resist. Half of the health, armor, and magic resist is drained immediately and the other half over the next 4 seconds.
The armor and magic resist bonus/reduction slowly decays over 4 seconds after the drain completes.
INITIAL MAGIC DAMAGE / HEALTH DRAIN: 10 / 12 / 14% (+ 1% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health
MAGIC DAMAGE / DRAIN PER SECOND: 2.5 / 3 / 3.5% (+ 0.25% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health
TOTAL MAGIC DAMAGE / HEALTH DRAIN: 20 / 24 / 28% (+ 2% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health
Subjugate is an amazing ability against tanks as it steal %resistances, this means in fights you should ult the enemy tank so he can't do his ob, this is why Trundle is strong against Rammus. It has a %heal which is the same as Blade of the Ruined King and this is why you should buy the item. Use this with ignite and the enemy will suffer. Remember to try to be inside Frozen Domain while activating this and Blade of the Ruined King so that you get the maximum heal possible.
Here is a map of where you can block paths successfully with Pillar of IceCourtesy of Cliques007. Go check out his guide on Pillar of Ice
Farming - Pushing
Use Chomp to farm and also use Frozen Domain while your laner is missing to get some health back, this will ensure you out farm the enemy and still have a safe amount of health for ganks. At level 1 a good trick to farm under the tower against caster minions is let the tower auto attack the minion once and use Chomp this will give you enough damage to let the tower auto the other caster minions once and you getting the final w=hit with your auto attack because of the Chomp AD bonus.
When pushing towers you want to use Frozen Domain for the attack speed boost and then spam Chomp on the tower as much as you can, this will make you push the tower like a Rengar
Dr. Mundo - Try not to fight him while hes running away but 1v1 you should win. Remember, 8 seconds of glory. Take Ignite against him to get rid of his ult healing for as much as possible.
Swain - Get Spirit Visage first as he will try to get Morellonomicon to reduce your healing.
Kennen - Don't chase him and you will be fine, a Banshee's Veil is always good against him.
Jax - Wait for this guy to ult before ulting him, you will steal his ult resistance and make him QQ
Fiora+ Tryndamere Take an early Randuin's Omen against them, they deserves it.
Wukong - Pillar of Ice will stop him from juking with [decoy]] you as bad but be wary.
Pantheon - You should win every trade against him after level 6, take Teleport to follow him around.
Zac - Spirit Visage easy lane you should destroy him,if you're feeling really confident take Smite to smite his blob but that doesn't pay out although objective control is always good.
Yasuo - Projectile shield( Wind Wall)? ain't gonna do anything, the rising monolith will stop you but he has alot of mobility to use your w wisely. Barrier is a good idea agianst him, also a Randuin's Omen
Role in teamfights
You will nullify the enemy tank by ulting them, this will make them lose their armor and magic resist, after ulting them use blade of the ruined king on them, however if one of their carries is far ahead try to get the damage on them, put down your Pillar of Ice where their possible escape routes are. If you already have an engager in your team in the jungle such as Vi, Lee Sin, Amumu or Malphite be a meatshield for your carries, put down your Frozen Domain around your carries and tank the stuff coming at 'em.
- Use w-q-r-blade active in trades
- Use Frozen Domain and Chomp to push towers
- Ult the tanks
- Don't face Renekton, Teemo or Riven, ask to swap with your jungler in the champion select lobby.
Thanks for looking at my Trundle top guide for season 4, hope you enjoyed rate and comment.
Yours truly, EpilepticRabbit
Hall of fame
EpilepticRabbit - Your text to link here...
Jamespongebob - Specific question answered on coding, thanks for making my guide look 'fresh' and 'complete', I don't know your ingame name, sorry.
Hawkken - BBCoding guide
Cliques007 - Pillar of Ice guide, http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/spell-guide-master-the-pillar-master-trundle-408991
23/08/15 - Added some new matchups and also Sterak's Gage to items.