Irelia Build Guide by NinjaLucario98PT
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
As promised, I did a more in deep guild of Irelia. Lets start by saying this is a guild with a "Battle Irelia" build, this build is for her to work more as an offensive team player than a defensive one, which I also made a guild for those people that prefer playing Irelia as a tanky char. In this guild I will focus the "battle Irelia build". Lets start the boring but needed part of reeding the guild.
Pros / Cons
+ Has a useful slow/stun
+ Queen of solo-top ( too bad Akali =P )
+ Ultimate perfect for finishing running enemies, since it does not require for you to stand still *-*
+ Health restoration and true damage effect that makes her nearly umbeatable early game
+ Gap closer, that can work as escape tactic.
+ Great passive useful in various ways.
+ Very fun to play with.
+ Can use a sword without even touching it =O
- No real escape tactic, can use Q if minion is near
- Very hard to master in the first times.
- You will be focused Hardly and will be ganged as hell.( those wards look pretty now..)
- *-* has no boyfriend......
In battle Irelia i choose the very simple and known 21/9/0 , it gives a nice amount of offence and defence - who does not love having those two around? In the tanky build, I use a nice combo of offence and defence - with it you can tank a team fight but still do a nice amount of damage.The battle build masteries makes you have a better laning fase than normal due to having life steal and Attack Speed to farm more effectively.
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage:With more Attack Damage you hit harder, in early game this will decide who has 1º blood, you or the enemies.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage:A little Attack damage always helps.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist:More Magic resistance for Irelia is perfect because she still is a melee char and gets kited very easily and loses HP fast to Ap-Carrys.
- Greater Seal of Armor:More Armor for Irelia is good as well , in this case against being kited to the Ad-Carrys, if you make them lose the lane more probably is that they won´t be so effective late game, and due to that your team can win team fights more easily- with a much lower probability of losing it.
The Good, the Meh and the Bad.... Summoner Spells
[Flash]: Flashes you from a place to another =O It looks a bit useless and actually.... if used correct..it is... but if used correctly- like flashing through walls- it can save you life. Always take this spell...or better never, never take this spell.
[Ignite]: Perfect to finish of enemies and get that all wanted 1º blood. If timed correctly can make an enemies life steal/spell vamp/healing or health regenerating spells useless.
[Exhaust]: This spell completely disrupts enemies damage out-put, making them easy targets the get killed- or not annoy you while you kill there allies, only use if trading ignite for it.
[Heal]: Instantly heals you and nearby allies, great for losing team fight situations or 1v1,it may make you even win the game if timed correctly, although a big amount of people rage it... I can´t see why xD
[Ghost]: Gives a big explosion of movement speed, making you fast enough to escape a gank or catch a runing enemy, the only spell capable of replacing flash.
[Teleport]: This spell is great since Irelia is supposed to be the team solo-toper , with it you can go back to base buy some items and get back without losing much gold or Exp.
All the other spells I haven´t refereed don´t even deserve to....
Learn Your Abilities
- Ionian Fervor: Reduces durations of crowd control by 10%- for 1 champion near, 25%- for 2 champions near, 40%- for 3 champions near. This passive is perfect too escape or catch an enemy with crowd control, in team fights you can even take all de crowd control and make the enemy team loose.
- Bladesurge (Q): Your Gap closer that deals a big amount of damage, did I forget that it applies on hit effects like Trinity Force? Its damage scales an AD and on a 1/1 percentage.
- Hiten Style (W): Your laning ability!! The health restoration it gives on hit is very good and can be activated to deal true damage, which is an on hit effect that can be used with Bladesurge and deal its true damage effect and health restoration that does not get lost when activated.
- Equilibrium Strike (E): Your personal Crowd Control- A Stun/slow that stun when your health percentage is lower then the enemies-, it gives a nice slow to make the runing enemies not so fast and if timed well in a losing battle you can use its stun to finish of a target making you win the team fight or a 1v1 .
- Transcendent Blades (R): Your enemy finisher, when activated you have a time to use all the 4 blades that deal damage and heals a percentage to Irelia. What is so epic about this ability is the fact that you can active Trinity Force 4 times, heals you a percentage of damage, and you don´t even need to stand still to use it =O That is why it is used to finish the runners, and also try to hit the large number of enemy targets to heal more.
Like anyone should, max your ultimate Transcendent Blades whenever you can , max your Hiten Style first because its your main sustain in lane. Max Bladesurge second because its your main way of dealing damage.And third Equilibrium Strike, when its levelled up your Cooldown is much smaller and its slow/stun time is bigger- It´s not used because of damage due to the fact that is scales horribly and in Ability Power.
Items are Girls best friends
: Attack speed to activate your on hit effects and make damage out-out bigger. Of course also for moment speed.
: Its your main weapon!!! In AP- casters there item is Rabadon's Deathcap your is Trinity Force. You can activate it´s passive on use of Bladesurge and 4 times with Trascendent Blades
: This spell makes u rip off tanks like they where a piece of chocolate, its passive is applied on Bladesurge and makes it with an even better damage. Madred's Bloodrazor also gives a nice amount of damage , AS , and survivability with it´s armor.
: This item grants AS and a bonus AD with a good passive that takes down 15 armor per hit and stacks 3 times.
: Sometimes that health restoration is not just enough , so buy life steal with a big amount of AD with it!!! If farmed it gives a good amount of damage and life steal extra.
- : Your defensive item , it grant´s a shield that blacks bad spells, magic resistance and a good amount of HP.
In case of Banshee's Veil not being the survivability item you want , here are some options:
- It let´s you outrun most enemies and gives a good amount of Magic resistance against their Ap carrys - Use only when team is based on Heavy Ap-Casters.
- I don´t usually use it but it´s a nice item when enemies are based on Ad-Carrys that deal big damage.
- Big amount of HP is a Big amount of survivability.
- Not used as much as it should be , on Irelia i don´t think its worth much but can make you escape some scary situations where your passive, and maybe boots depending in which build your using, isn´t just enough. for exampla a team of [Malzahar] [Taric] [Sejuani] [Talon] [Pantheon} , your passive and boots isn´t enough for you to surviv and if you get caught your most likely dead
Some AD items if you think that doing big damage is better:
- Great damage and a critical bonus with also a passive that makes criticals hit harder, with masteries and [Trinity Force] you have a great amount of critical.
- If enemys are starting to stack armor, this item is a great counter.
Then there are the items that are good for offence and defence that can be used in the build:
- a very understimated item but very valuable agaisnt chars like [Karthus] or [Ezreal] thats like finishing you off with there ultimates, also good because of its magic resistance and AD that it gives.
- Also great item due to its passive you can farm like a bad***, its extra AS and Health is also great.
- As and magic resistance thats is very good and a on hitt efect passive that deals damage, if used with Hiten Style active it can make a great amount of damage.
All girls like boots ( I think...) and Irelia is one of them:
- Great for killing enemies only recommended on the "battle build".
- If you feel its a very easy game and you just want to get to the lane fast to finish the enemies this boots are great, on the other hand if it is not that case, these boots are not very recommended.
- The most recommended item on [Irelia] because it stacks with your passive and makes you *almost* unable to get crowd controlled.
- A great item if enemies have a bad*** AD carry for example [Tryndamere]
These are some examples I made to a build depending of Enemy Team:
-If enemy team is based on Ap-Casters:
, , , , , or .
-If enemy team is based of AD carrys and/or fighters:
, , , , ,
Wards are some off the most underestimated items in the game, just ward a bush and it will save you life from ganks, or even give you a kill...
Yellow: Vital to protect the jungler on your team
Blue: For protection depending on which lane you're on
Red: To guard Dragon and Baron
Orange: In order to Counter-Jungle
Farming on Irelia is just AA minions on low HP, if you don´t manage to kill it then use your Bladesurge- it´s cooldown is refreshed and returns some mana waisted, which makes her a good farmer. Jungle Irelia hmmm..... never tried it....maybe sometime in the future i will since she looks viable for it , and with the jungle patch it´s very easier to jungle.
Start by getting in , make big damage and get out alive. See the enemy that does the most damage, ping him and say to your team focus him when you go stun. Use always Hiten Style and save your stun - DON´T YOU EVER WAIST YOU STUN ON SLOWING AN ENEMY ON A TEAM FIGHT!!!
Sometimes you will want to give your kills to your carrys if they are not fed. If not fed carrys are a lot less effective and this makes wining the game a lot harder, When they have at least 1 kill and assist per death your don´t need to give them the kill, but if you think there still not doing good give them it, when they have 2 kills per death you want the kill not him, and if they have 1 kill per 2 deaths they need the kill badly.
10/03/12- Published Guide, Updated items chapter(more situational items), reviewed abilities sequence and changed.
This build is based on my last Irelia one , but I made it more In-Depth and a lot better, The battle Irelia Build can be changed to your preferences but of course it´s main damage comes from Bladesurge and it´s on hit effect the primary item you want for that is Trinity Force.
Hope you liked reading the build and getting to know some more features of Irelia.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, dividers and warding photo, which you can find here, with that enormous help I improved the guild in so many ways =)