Amumu Build Guide by Uggorthaholy
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Change Log/Incoming Changes
- 13 October 2012: Guide Published.
- 14 October 2012: More in-depth Masteries explanation added.
- Counter Junglers
- More optional items.
I'm not going to stick in a bunch of Amumu lore. I'm not going to make this guide 1,000 pages long. I'm going to give you a fast rundown of how to succeed at jungling Amumu.
Please remember that most things in the game are situational. Every game has wide varying circumstances. This guide is simply meant to give you the strongest foundation for success.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
Good jungle survivability
Excellent gank control
Strong Team Fight presence
Great at late game lane pushes
Excellent synergy with AP champions
Easily counter jungled
Difficult to gank before level 4
Needs strong level 1 jungle aid
Expensive to build
REALLY needs a friend
I won't explain every single ability in 150% detail, but I will explain why the trees are set the way they are.
Extra Armor, reduced damage from minions, extra health, health regen, move speed, and disable reduction. All of these improve jungling, AND tankiness. They are the perfect set to compliment your talents as jungle Amumu. Take them!
Summoner's Resolve 10g per Smite doesn't seem like much, but it adds up when used every time it's available throughout the match.
Hardiness Extra armor means better survivability vs jungle creep and vs AD champions. A requirement.
Tough Skin makes you stronger against minion attacks. Definitely required.
Durability and Veteran's Scars grant you more HP. better survivability both in early and late game.
Vigor combined with your Regrowth Pendant give you plenty of level 1 sustain in the jungle, and help you throughout the game as you roam, and even in combat.
Bladed Armor may not seem like much, but every little bit of damage vs mobs in the jungle early game is important for your clear time, and reducing the number of hits you take.
Initiator has 100% synergy with my movement speed theme. Initiating team fights is your forte, do it faster!
Juggernaut 3% more HP is always good, and 10% disable reduction. Mini tenacity boost. Definitely a great mastery to have.
Indomitable vs Honor Guard has sparked some questions. I choose imdomitable simply because 1.5% of damage incoming in team fights isn't enough to save lives in most cases, while a 2 reduction in damage is higher than 1.5% of incoming neutral monster damage in early game. Therefore, imdomitable has always seemed the smarter choice to me for jungling with Amumu as he takes more hits from neutral monsters than a lot of junglers.
Increased Utility, more movement speed, and buff duration. All solid and easy choices to jungle with Amumu.
Summoner's Insight lowers the CD on flash. More flashes are better.
Expanded Mind is the only other worthwhile utility mastery in T1. Don't plan on dying, and more mana is always good news.
Swiftness More movement speed? Yes please.
Runic Affinity increases your buff durations, meaning more time with blue and red buff. This should be a 100% no brainer.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed: Movement speed is amazing for Amumu. This speeds up your time clearing the jungle, allows better ganking, and better positioning for team fights.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Magic Penetration helps your abilities cut through your opponents defenses and lets you do more damage.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: MR is better late game than early game. This makes you tankier vs enemy AP users. AP users aren't a threat until mid to late game, and these glyphs outshine the flat MR glyphs for that purpose.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Flat armor is beneficial for early game. It benefits you in the jungle massively, and helps against the early game damage vs AD characters. Flat armor is more of a benefit than scaling for this purpose.
I've found this to be the best setup for Amumu. If you have any other suggestions, PLEASE let me know, I'm always open to suggestions.
Smite: Deals scaling True Damage to minions/monsters, essential for jungling
Flash: Dashes your character forward in the direction of your cursor. Great for initiating or escaping, highly recommended due to Amumu's requirement of positioning.
- Cursed Touch: This passive allows your auto attacks to reduce your opponents' MR as you hit them. Extremely useful to increase yours, and your other AP's damage. Make sure to auto attack opponents frequently, and disperse your attacks around in team fights for maximum effect.
- Bandage Toss (Q): Throws a bandage in a line (skill shot), pulling Amumu to the opponent and temporarily stunning them. Amazing initiate, great for stopping runners, or stopping an opponent from chasing a team mate. Use at the start of a fight to position yourself for Curse of the Sad Mummy
- Despair (W): Constantly pulsing AoE that does damage based off of your opponents' maximum health. Always activate during team fights. This will deal steady AoE damage, especially against tankier opponents. This also helps greatly against nuetral mobs, Ancient Golem, the mean Lizard, Dragon, and Baron.
- Tantrum (E): Burst AoE damage. Amumu get's angry and throws a hissy fit, hitting all enemies around him with his melon. Also passively reduces the damage he takes from physical attacks. Being attacked reduces the CD by .5 seconds every attack.
Max this first for the damage reduction, and to up his burst. VERY useful for advance pushing lanes late game, as the CD will always be up if you tank the wave. Smash tantrum and watch waves melt instantly.
- Curse of the Sad Mummy (R): Unleashes the fury of a thousand crying mummies to deal AoE damage, and prevent opponenets within the ultimate from moving or attacking. This is Amumu's most amazing tool in his kit.
Bandage Toss and/or Flash into position, and catch the enemy team with their pants down, securing an amazing engage for your team to dominate a team fight. Use this ability wisely, and preserve it if a large team initiate is coming.
Can also be used to halt a chase. Extremely handy as a team DISengage.
This is also what make Amumu arguably the strongest bot lane ganker I've ever seen. Your bottom left the lane get pushed, Amumu comes in and locks in both the ADC and the support, allowing the ADC to be completely destroyed in moments. Then the support is locked down and killed with nothing to deter her opponents. THIS is why your ADC loves you, Amumu. Become one with your ult. Learn the radius. Practice positioning. Master the use of your ult and you will always lead your team to victory.
Despair at level 1 is essential. It will allow you to easily plow through the high health of the large wolf and the Blue Golem.
After Despair at level 1, Tantrum is your highest priority. It reduces damage from physical attacks, and taking damage from minions will constantly reset the cooldown, making this spammable.
Bandage Toss doesn't need to be leveled but once for ganks/kills/chasing, etc.
Your ult is always leveled when able, as with every champion ever.
: Starting Regrowth allows a fast Philosopher's Stone. Combined with your masteries it provides the perfect amount of sustain for a LONG initial jungle route, and the health pot helps in case of a horrible leash.
- PHILOSOPHER'S STONE: HP5, MP5, GP5. A solid item that we will later expand into an end game item. The GP5 generation from buying it early will net a complete profit. A must buy extremely early.
: Bonus health for more sustain and more gp5. Also built early to maximize the GP5 before consuming for a final item.
: I HATE when an enemy champion escapes simply due to running faster than I do. Synergy with masteries and Quints, this allows you to keep pace with even the fastest of yordles in Summoner's Rift.
: Armor, Mana, and CDR. CDR is extremely beneficial for lower ult timer, lower bandage timer, and lower tantrum timer. This builds into Frozen Heart, but is nice to have early for more sustain.
: Gives Amumu MR, reduces opponents' MR even further than his passive grants, and gives AP. An Essential Amumu Item. Get it.
: Glacial Shroud plus extra armor, and slows attack speed of opponents. Forget about that enemy ADC now.
: Health, AP, and more importantly, an AMAZING passive. No champion will escape you, or your team, with this item. Keeps stragglers from running, initiate/dash out to keep your team alive if running... this item is superb.
- SHURELYA'S REVERIE: Philosopher's Stone builds into this. You lose your GP5, but late game this doesn't matter. You gain more CDR and a poppable movement speed increase. Did I mention you can catch anyone with this build?
- : Heart of Gold builds into this. Perfect synergy with Amumu's concept. Slow enemies even more, and slow ADC's attacks even further in combination with Frozen Heart.
The items I've built wind up being my items in about 90% of games. If further explination is required, I can always expand on this later!
I personally find myself rarely using ANY of the following items, but I'm including them just in case you'd like to switch up the build a little bit.
: This item is a good supplement for a more Tank-ish build. Good HP5, movement speed, and MR. Replace either Shurelia's Reverie or Rylai's Crystal Scepter.
: Also a good replacement item to become more Tank-ish. Good health boost, good HP5 boost. Replace the same items as suggested for FoN for Mog's.
- : Solid Tank-ish item for a heavy AD team. Gives a massive 100 armor, and reflects back damage from those pesky AD jerks right back into their face. Replace the same items as above.
: This item is the single best AP item in the game. Gives you a massive amount of AP through it's own AP, and through boosting 30% of all other items' AP. Replace Shurelia's Reverie, Randuin's Omen, or Frozen Heart for this item.
: A large amount of AP, GP5 if Kage's is bought early, and a large chunk initiate, this item can prove deadly to a single enemy when used properly. Not Recommended but can certainly be a strong item if you're dedicated to AP.
If you'd like to build more AP centric, a Rabadon's is your choice.
This is something that has always received a lot of debate. Not just for Amumu, but for every jungle everywhere. Early game, Amumu is absolutely dependent on Blue Buff.
My route is, as detailed.
And then decide based on situation. For an illustration:
The camps are color coded, simply flip the map if you are purple team.
Start wolves with some damage from a lane friend. Get said lane friend to leash, kill blue with Smite.
Turn off Despair while moving between camps. Turn back on as you engage.
Move straight to wraiths and destroy them with Tantrum spam. Repeat on wolves as they respawn.
Move to Red, use Smite again to kill it.
Move back to Wraiths and kill them again. At this point you SHOULD JUST hit level 4. This is where your opportunities await. You can gank a lane if one is available, or move to golems and continue farming.
Recall as soon as you are able to buy a Philo Stone and boots, and proceed with your dominance.
Ganking with Amumu is easy once you hit level 4, and insanely easy once you hit level 6.
At 4, get into a bush, Bandage Toss onto your kill target, slow them with red buff if you've got it, and watch Despair and Tantrum melt away their life while your carry (or you) get an easy kill. Leave the lane, laugh, go kill some jungle creeps, or go buy. Mission complete.
At 6, follow the above procedure, but if your enemy is nearing a complete escape, pop your ultimate, Curse of the Sad Mummy and finish them off. It will deal a nice chunk of damage and root them for your carries to finish them off.
Don't hesitate to be a little over aggressive with engages, especially if you're the target. You're a tank, and a good one! Be aggressive, take the turret initiate so your carries can finish their job, and flash out if needed.
Amumu is an amazing Team fight champion. Go balls to the wall, engage hard on your enemies, and pop your ult while your team deals insane damage. Draw the opponents' fire. IT's your job! It will also proc tantrum for even more AoE damage. Your job is that of a constant AoE damage source, an initiator, and a position dictator. USe your ult wisely. If a team fight is about to engage, don't waste it.
If your team is nearing a risky engage and you aren't quite there, hide yourself behind a wall, bandage over it and into the enemy team and ult to turn the fight around. You have the power of the mummy! Cry over their dead bodies, not those of your own team.
Amumu is a very strong champion who specializes in initiating team fights and controlling them with his massive AOE. He is difficult to master, but exceptional once you have him down.
If this guide helps even one person, I've done my job. Don't cry alone, cry with friends... and the best friends are made from an ADC with a good jungle ^_^
A huge shout out goes to my favorite friend to gank for, Sylrith. He's an amazing friend, an extraordinary support player, and got me into competitive League play. Amumu + Akali, all day every day.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.