Kayle Build Guide by Heroicfiend
Not Updated For Current Season
Early Game / Mid Game
Aggressive Build (If you're winning lane.)
Safe Build (If you're not doing great in lane, or
Not Updated For Current Season
This is my first guide that I'm trying to truly complete, so please leave constructive feedback. I'd like to edit this guide as people give more tips to get it to perfection.
Kayle used to be my favorite champion when I first started playing league. I think that was somewhere between a year to two years ago. For a while I stopped playing her, thinking she wasn't up to par. I was wrong. Kayle is a powerhouse, adapting to nearly any team comp late game. I mainly only play her as top or support, but she can clearly go anywhere she wants.
- She can slow enemies.
- She can speed up herself, or others.
- She can heal.
- She shreds a percentile of armor and magic resist.
- She can make anyone momentarily invulnerable.
- She's ranged and melee.
- She does splash damage.
- She's a hybrid.
Also, whilst making this guide I'm using tips from jhoijhoi.
Pros / Cons
+ Heal / Speed buff
+ Q has a slow
+ Momentary Invulnerability
+ High versatility
+ Strong late game
+ Shreds armor and magic resist
Kayle has a ton of potential overall. She has a potent mix of abilities that help her to escape, heal, slow, godmode, or dominate. With the right combination of items and play you could end up being able to fight multiple enemies at once, without help. Even with a couple kills you'll be able to scale easily into late game. With her passive , Holy Fervor, she shreds tanks to pieces, leading to great benefit to the team late game.
- Mana hungry
- Low damage early / mid game
- No stun
- Rough to fight healers
- Item dependent
Kayle is super item dependent early game to mid game. If her lane opponent gains an early lead, it can be very challenging to catch up. She runs out of mana very easily, which makes it hard to poke the lane down if a champ is harassing a lot. Against champions like Volibear, Fiddlesticks, Irelia, or healers, it can get very difficult. Though she shreds armor and magic resist, if they can heal enough to run you past your ult, you may be in trouble.
|The masteries I use for Kayle are by far the most diverse. I take both Weapon Expertise and Archaic Knowledge to help synergize with her abilities. Because her E Righteous Fury she does magic damage and attack damage per auto attack. These masteries give an almost double benefit. The enemy can't build just once defense at this point, because you're going to do quite a bit of AP since you're getting Guinsoo's. Most people that play Kayle don't get Lethality or Frenzy because they don't build enough crit. But I build both the Trinity Force and Zephyr almost always. The crit strikes give even more attack speed and deal more damage, I can't argue against that. I also went ahead and took Spellsword . In the top Kayle guide currently the build does not take this, but does take Guinsoo's Rageblade and can build into Hextech Gunblade. If you're going to use magic items like that, why not take Spellsword ? It will increase your damage per hit. After finishing the offense tree I just finished off normally like other builds in the defensive tree to gain a bit of health and armor. Not much else to say about that, but it does really help.|
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: I've tried a few different Quints on Kayle. By far, though, the AD ones seem to fit the best. AD Quints allow you to take armor pen marks, but still giving you decent AD at level one, and helping you to scale into late game. I've tried movespeed quints, but they just didn't help her nearly at all.
- greater mark of armor penetration: Since you are taking AD quints, you'll want to take these to help you late and mid game. Pairing these along with your passive and your set. You won't necessarily have to build any more armor pen, unless they go super tanky. I've also tried using more AD marks, but they just don't give benefit for long enough. the Armor pen helps far more.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: The magic resist helps you survive that early game hustle against ganks, or champion abilities. Since you won't be building much defences, this is the best bet. It'll get you through early and mid game until your heal and do decent healing. I've also tried the per level ones for magic resist, but I had too many early and mid game problems.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Since this is a top lane guide, I recommend ALWAYS using these. Tops are usually AD, or the people you'll be countering are. Without these you'll just take far too much early game and mid game damage against your lane opponent. I've tried using AD / MP5 seals, but they just don't help enough.
Flash: Flash on Kayle is a great tool. Use it to get further away with Divine Blessing. Or get to an enemy to use Reckoning. Maybe you need to get to an ally to use Intervention. There are just too many possibilities with her to not take it in my eyes. Plus I'm used to using it.
Ignite: Ignite on Kayle, to me, is very important. Kayle has problems against healing champions, like Fiddlesticks, Volibear, Garen, etc. Ignite helps you to burst them down so you can secure a kill. Without it sometimes it can be impossible. Sometimes you just need that last little bit of damage.
Ghost: If you don't like Flash, or just aren't good with using it, take Ghost. Ghost actually synergizes well with Kayle. It can help you catch them to use Reckoning. It's good to help get you around the map quickly, though since you have Divine Blessing, I wouldn't say ghost is necessarily needed.
- Holy Fervor: This ability is what allows Kayle to pack on massive damage. no matter how tanky the enemy gets if you stack with some armor pen, they'll still melt. works with magic resist too. Paired with
you'll be shredding them to pieces!
- Reckoning (Q): The first main skill you'll max. This skill makes her do % more damage to the enemy, while also slowing them and doing damage. This skill can be insane when fighting tanky people, and works hand in hand with Holy Fervor.
- Divine Blessing (W): Though we won't be maxing this skill till last, don't underestimate it. It's a speed buff and a heal all in one. It can be very beneficial late game. It can get you, or an ally. to anywhere around the map quickly. You can use it to heal yourself, or allies in need.
- Righteous Fury (E): The bread and butter. This is what makes Kayle awesome. She's melee. Or she can pop Righteous Fury and be ranged, with splash damage. Not only does it make her ranged but it does magic damage and attack damage. Pair this fact along with Holy Fervor,
along with a Guinsoo's Rageblade and you're owning.
- Intervention (R): This is Kayle's godmode button. About to get hit with a Darius ult? Use this. About to get Garen's ult? Use this. Lux ult? Use this. There are so many ways that this can save you. It blocks ALL damage for a moment, allowing you, or an ally, to escape.
Ability Sequence Order
|Max your Q, Reckoning, first because it maximizes damage between all your abilities. It also provides a great slow, and does decent poke damage. Next you'll want to max your E, Righteous Fury, because this skill is the bread and butter to this guide. The only reason we don't max it first is because the Q gives greater payout early, and you won't need the extra damage from the E until you have items to support it. We max her E, Divine Blessing, last simply because the other spells are more important. Divine Blessing is a great spell. Since you're getting Guinsoo's Rageblade and possibly more AP items, Divine Blessing can become very beneficial.|
|The bread and butter of this build. Guinsoo's takes advantage of Kayle's passive, Holy Fervor. It also buffed with Weapon Expertise and Archaic Knowledge . The attack speed it provides helps, as well as the extra AP. The new passive on this item is amazing. They took out Surge, but placed it into Guinsoo's Rageblade. The spell vamp and lifesteal from this passive actually help quite a bit. Pair this is Hextech Gunblade and you'll be reckless.|
|I was really iffy about this item for a while. After getting guinsoo's I use to build attack speed to help get out more damage, but I always ended up being too squishy. Getting Phage helped a TON. It gives more damage and health. It even provides a slow. It's a great item for Kayle. It's also a great early / mid game item because you can build it into a Frozen Mallet or a Trinity Force depending on the item build.|
|My favorite boots for Kayle. It synergizes with Holy Fervor and Guinsoo's Rageblade. Sometimes I'll switch boots to get armor or magic resist, but these boots seem to fit my calling perfectly. Test some out and see what you think. I think these are definitely the best, though most people stick with merc treads.|
|This item works great on Kayle. Extra attack speed, movement speed, cooldown reduction, and movement speed. Many people seem to be iffy about this item, but I see noticable differences from my damage once I get it. With Trinity Force and Guinsoo's Rageblade you'll see notical differences in damage.|
|The black cleaver is crazy by itself. It shreds up to 25% of their armor. Add Holy Fervor and you've got 40% of their armor just gone. I can't begin to explain how beneficial this item can be once you've got your base damage and attack speed down. You won't have any trouble fighting nearly anyone.|
|Team work can be somewhat confusing when playing Kayle. A lot of the time people just go rambo expecting you to magically save them with Intervention. Other times people expect you to spam Divine Blessing like you're a main healer. Don't worry about these things too much if you don't have blue. I'm not saying you shouldn't help them, just be sure to keep enough mana for a full fight. I try to stay around half.
For late game team fights things can get a bit odd. If the teamfights are straight forward, just focus on the AD carry and use Reckoning to slow them / Divine Blessing to speed yourself up to get to them. Then use Righteous Fury to kill them. If things aren't going so well and you catch your AD carry or AP carry getting focused down by an assassin or a bruiser, focus on helping them. Use Reckoning to slow them down, and speed up your ally with Divine Blessing. I've won tons of teamfights using this tactic. Saving your carries is VERY important, more so than killing their's just to have your team wipe from their bruiser or jungler.
|Thanks for reading through my first guide for Kayle. I hope I gave you a better understanding of why Kayle can be a competitive top, instead of just a support that some people think.
Don't forget to base your item build around how the game is turning, instead of just running the aggressive route. And don't forget that Kayle can turn the tide in a team fight. So don't run off chasing people with her. Stay with your team and help push to victory.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.