Kha'Zix Build Guide by Ubnoxius
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
No More Tears
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
|Welcome, everyone, to my second guide on MOBAFire This time featuring Kha'Zix. Kha'Zix has been one of my favorite champions ever since his release back in season 2. He is a high burst assassin with a lot of mobility and a fairly high skill cap. I've seen a lot of Kha'Zix players lately and they are constantly doing one thing wrong. They are stuck in season 2, relentlessly maxing Void Spike and buy Tear of the Goddess and it really bugs me.
In this guide I will show you the proper way to build Kha'Zix including Spells, Items, Runes / Masteries and much more!
So let this be the revival of Kha'Zix.
My name is Vuma - ign: SoundVox - I've been playing LoL for about 2 years starting from the pits of Bronze IV all the way up to Platinum III and I play on the North American Server. Here are my ranked Kha'Zix stats for season 3
|+ High Burst with % Damage
+ High Mobility + Resets
+ Easy to Farm With
+ Very Low Cooldowns
+ Incredible Duelist
| Kha'Zix is a very early-game reliant champion. He needs farm and an early kill or two to get rolling into that high bursty assassin for mid-game. I like to start with a Long Sword and
pots because it gets you 360g closer to The Brutalizer which will highly increase the damage from Taste Their Fear, and gives you enough sustain for the first 6 levels at least. Taste Their Fear is on a 3.5 second cooldown so you can take away around ¡250-280! Damage to an isolated target at level 1 every 3.5 seconds for only 25 mana at every rank! So abuse your damage whenever you can on your enemy laner. I honestly think that no champion in the game can beat Kha'Zix's damage at level 1 if isolated. If you make it past the first 4 levels you can utterly gut your opponent by jumping on them, slowing them with your passive, and using your Q after they pass their minions (creating the isolation for more damage) so play aggressive
|- Very Fragile
- He Spikes at level 11
- Mana -Unlike Rengar: His rival-
- Super Low Ranged Damage
- Requires Good Positioning
One thing you need to know about Kha'Zix is his early-game (lvl 1-9) can be very potent, but you have to play aggressive. Bite the enemy with Taste Their Fear when every they come up to CS and utilize your passive by auto attacking, then let them run past their minions so they get isolated and use Taste Their Fear again. If you don't gain a lead vs your opponent, you'll have a tough time later in the game. Kha'Zix's job is to shut down the enemy laner and keep them 3 levels behind you at all times, never giving them a chance to kill you! So being aggressive early game is very important. Remember that Kha'Zix has little to no ranged damage with Void Spike after his nerf/buff, this is also why you have to max Taste Their Fear. Even though you have low mana costs on your main damage ability, you still need to be conservative of how you use your mana. Don't just use Leap on a minion to push the wave faster or get a last hit, because it's 50 mana lost and the jungler might be waiting in the side brush for you to use your Leap. If you get caught out while your Leap is on cooldown, you may have just cost your team the game.
Take 9 Armor Seals for obvious reasons, they're really the only good seals, especially against champions like Orianna to defend some of that AA damage
greater mark of armor penetration
I take 3 extra armor penetration marks for good measure, giving you a good rounded rune page that scales well into late-game
|For the Offense Tree I take my first point in
T1 Double-Edged Sword for maximum damage
The next points I take are 4 in Sorcery
for some good CDR and 1 point in Butcher
for easy last hitting. T2 I then take 3 points
in Brute Force for extra AD per level.
T3 I grab Spell Weaving because it synergizes
with your passive, Unseen Threat, being that you
can auto attack and slow them to get in range for
your abilities. I take Martial Mastery for extra
early AD and Executioner for executing purposes.
T4 Take Warlord for extra AD, and Devastating Strikes
for more penetration and the last point in T5 Havoc
|Utility has been updated, and is stronger then ever.
Now with the new Alchemist mastery, which
inecreases your potions length by 10%, which is an extra
15 HP. Now, Along with T3Culinary Mastery You gain an extra
20 HP right when you activate it (as well as 10 mana)
In total giving 35 extra HP per potion as well as 10 mana.
I also take 2 points T1 Fleet of Foot for the extra
movement speed and 2 in Meditation for the little
mana regen it gives you, early game it's quite helpful.
And for my last 3 points I put them all into
T2 Summoner's Insight , Which will lower your flash to
270 seconds (300) and your ignite to 189 (210)
|I take Flash 100% of the time on Kha'Zix. It helps him escape very easily and Flash- Leap is very effective in catching up to people. Getting resets could score you your next pentakill
| As like Flash, I take Ignite almost 100% of my games on Kha'Zix. It's very good against champions with HP-Regen abilities like Swain and Vladimir as well champions with Spirit Visage or any Lifesteal/SpellVamp
|Of course if you're Jungling you will take Smite but don't take it at anytime otherwise
|Ok if you somehow got in a que with Faker and he picks Zed...Then you take Barrier. Or if you are very comfortable with Kha'Zix I guess you can take Barrier...kinda like how some Fizz's play, with Leap/ Playful / Trickster being your escape instead of Flash
I like to take Doran's Shield for the passive against auto attack champions like Riven or like Orianna (her passive) and for the great sustain that it gives.
if you are very confident against your matchup, then I will start with Elixir of Fortitude for incredible burst which will catch your enemy off guard for an early kill
The Brutalizer should always be your first main goal as Kha'Zix, It gives him 1Damage, 2ArmorPen, and 3CDR! Which are 3 core aspects that Kha'Zix needs, to be a threat
Just pick these up when you have some extra gold for them. Great early game items that will help you progress through the laning phase
Tiamat gives you great health regeneration, decent attack damage, and an AOE auto attack reset which helps you clear waves very quick, which makes up for his Void Spike
This item is the build off from Tiamat. It gives you extra attack damage - 75 - and 15% life steal, furthermore the active now applies with life steal. And you can cast the active mid Leap!
Once you purchase Last Whisper, your damage will spike incredibly. Giving you 35% armor penetration along with 40 attack damage, it's a very low cost item for what it gives
Finish off that The Brutalizer for the extra HP, attack damage, and the Unique Passive which amplifies your damage to a target by 5% each time you deal physical damage to it
I like Trinity Force as my last damage item for it's all around attributes. It gives Damage, Ability Power, Movement Speed, and a lot more which will be discussed later
Since Guardian Angel's buff of extra magic resist, I've been buying it a lot more frequently. It provides a very good impression of "He has GA we can't kill him" well I fell it does
So far I have shown you what items to buy, but now let's expand on that and let me tell you why I buy them and why not others.
- Let's start off with the reason that Muramana was good in season 2 (before Kha'Zix changes)
In season 2, Kha'Zix's strongest ability was Void Spike. You would max it first, Evolve it first, and spam the **** out of it.
It has a high mana cost with a relatively low cooldown, and it would proc your passive slow/extra damage Unseen Threat.
In that it had such a high mana cost, everyone would buy Tear of the Goddess for the great amount of mana/mana regen that it gives, and upgrade it when the stacking was complete.
- Kha'Zix no longer needs his Void Spike! I cannot exaggerate this enough.
You max Taste Their Fear!
It costs 25 mana at all levels!
It has a 2-3 second cooldown!
And it does more damage than Void Spike ever did!
80% of the time your jungler will give you the second AND proceeding blue buffs!
As of Patch V3.9:
Unique Passive - Mana Charge
- Cooldown per charge increased to 4 seconds from 3.
- Updated the tooltip to clarify its actual functionality.
- Season 2: (or any basic ability Taste Their Fear is the shortest cooldown) Taste Their Fear is the shortest cooldown) at every possible second that you could charge Manamune it would take approximately (if I did my math right) 170 charges (ability uses) which would take you around 8 minutes *ASSUMING YOU ARE USING AN ABILITY EVERY 3 SECONDS WHICH YOU NEVER WILL BE ABLE TO*
Now let's calculate the time of doing things besides using abilities
- Dead: Let's say you die 6 times in one game, each death has a timer that progressively lengthens as the game goes on. But let's say that each death takes about 40 seconds (more or less)
6 X 40 = 2:40
- Mid to Dragon: about 15 seconds. Say you run to dragon 4 times per game or more.
15 X 4 = 1:00
- Mid to Bot/Top: Takes about 30 seconds to reach another lane, and let's say you gank an ally lane about 6 times per game
30 X 6 = 3:00
- Base to Mid: About 25 seconds (no homeguard) and you go back to buy items and return to lane probably 30 times in a game maybe? more or less.
35 X 25 = ~14:30
- Add all that up and it equals 18:30 Time not farming/using abilities
- Mid to Dragon: about 15 seconds. Say you run to dragon 4 times per game or more.
- So 6 minutes plus 18:30 = 24:30
Around the 30 minute mark is about when you will be able to fully stack your tear in Season 2 (assuming that's the first thing that you buy)
- Season 3/4: Assuming the same circumstances as before ^ it would take you (ofcourse 170 charges still) but with the 4 second cooldown instead of 3 second. It will now take you approximately 11 minutes to stack the item completely. Now adding in the rest of the time spent in the game (18:30 more or less) = 29:30
(not calculating what time you bought Tear of the Goddess, which would be around the 6-7 minute mark)
So with that ^ it now takes 29:30 to stack a tear from the time you bought it (let's say around the 7 minute mark)
*THAT IS MORE THAN HALF OF THE GAME*
Now if you do manage to stack it faster by power farming lets talk about the damage numbers
+20 attack damage
+7 mana regeneration
Unique Passive - Awe: Gain attack damage equal to 2% of your maximum mana.
- Let's say you now have a fully stacked Muramana and a total of 940 extra mana ( Kha'Zix's level 18 base mana) for a total of 1940 mana. 1940mana X 2%maximum mana = 29.8 extra attack damage + 20 flat damage from Muramana = 49.8 attack damage
Doesn't sound like a whole lot huh.
- Toggle: Single target spells and attacks (on hit) consume 3% of current Mana to deal bonus physical damage equal to twice the amount of Mana consumed.
- Now, let's say you are at full mana with the toggle on. Taste Their Fear costs 25 mana + 1940mana X 3%current mana = and extra 58.2 damage X 2 = 166.4 extra damage on your first use of Taste Their Fear decreasing by 3% depending on how much mana you have used.
Keep in mind that this effect only applies on your auto attacks and Taste Their Fear!
Now does that sound really worth it?
No, it's not!
Stats and Tactics
|When Kha'Zix is not visible to the enemy team, he gains Unseen Threat. Unseen Threat causes his next basic attack against an enemy champion to deal 15 / 20 / 25 / 35 / 45 / 55 / 65 / 75 / 85 / 95 / 110 / 125 / 140 / 150 / 160 / 170 / 180 / 190 (+ 50% AP) bonus magic damage and slow by 25% for 2 seconds.
Unseen Threat lasts until consumed and has no internal cooldown.
Whenever you have time to run out to the side and become unseen, do it, but don't risk losing farm for reactivating your passive. Unseen Threat is a great tool for keeping your enemy close to you when you are fighting and chasing. You can also use this ability to check if the enemy has warded a brush, by watching your bar above you abilities, see if you gain Unseen Threat as a buff when you walk into a brush, if you don't, then the enemy can see you and it's warded.
|PASSIVE: Kha'Zix marks enemies that are isolated from their allies.
ACTIVE: Kha'Zix slashes, dealing physical damage to a single enemy. If the target was isolated, the damage dealt is increased by 45%.
PHYSICAL DAMAGE: 70 / 100 / 130 / 160 / 190 (+ 150% bonus AD)
DAMAGE TO ISOLATED TARGET: 101.5 / 145 / 188.5 / 232 / 275.5 (+ 217.5% bonus AD)
Evolved Enlarged Claws:
Increases range of Taste Their Fear and autoattacks by 50. Additionally, Taste Their Fear now deals an additional 8% of the target's missing health as bonus damage (max 200 vs monsters). Against isolated targets this damage is increased by 45% to 11.6% of missing health.
Taste Their Fear is going to be your primary ability, you are going to max it first and once you hit level 6, evolve it into your Enlarged Claws which will boost your damage incredibly to isolated targets. Try to force your enemy to become isolated before you use Taste Their Fear. By running to the back line of minions in lane, your enemy will naturally walk backwards to avoid getting chunked, once they do walk back far enough to be isolated, Leap and use Taste Their Fear.
|ACTIVE: Kha'Zix fires a cluster of spikes in a line that explode on contact with an enemy, dealing physical damage to all nearby enemies and slowing them by 20% for 2 seconds. Kha'Zix is healed if he is within the explosion radius.
PHYSICAL DAMAGE: 75 / 115 / 155 / 195 / 235 (+ 100% bonus AD)
HEAL: 40 / 70 / 100 / 130 / 160 (+ 50% AP)
Evolved Spike Racks:
Enhances Void Spike to fire three spikes in a cone and increases the slow to 30%. Multiple explosions upon the same enemy do not deal extra damage.
The only time you should be using Void Spike is to heal off of minions or to slow down a fleeing opponent. You do not evolve this ability (the way that I play) ever. Do not use it to poke, only use it to heal and to engage with.
|ACTIVE: Kha'Zix leaps to an area, dealing physical damage to nearby enemies upon landing.
PHYSICAL DAMAGE: 65 / 100 / 135 / 170 / 205 (+ 80% bonus AD)
Increases Leap's range by 300, and causes kills and assists scored by Kha'Zix to refresh Leap's cooldown.
I almost always take Leap as my second skill when laning, and I always evolve it second, at level 11. And that is when you should be roaming a lot and looking to pick up kills with your resets, Bot lane being the easiest opportunity to pick up multiple kills and is most effected by ganks.
|PASSIVE: Each rank of Void Assault allows Kha'Zix to evolve one of his abilities, granting it an additional effect.
ACTIVE: Kha'Zix enters stealth for 1 second, gaining 40% bonus movement speed while stealthed. Unseen Threat is also granted (even if Kha'Zix is revealed through stealth). Void Assault can be cast a second time within 10 seconds at no cost.
Evolved Active Camouflage:
Allows Void Assault to be cast up to three times. Kha'Zix takes 50% reduced damage while in stealth.
You are going to be leveling Void Assault whenever you can, and always evolve it last. It helps incredibly in large team fights, and as of PreSeason 4 they have removed oracles and this works immensely toward Kha'Zix's advantage, as the only way of being revealed is from a now visible Vision Ward (that can be easily destroyed) or the Sweeping Lens (which only lasts for 6 seconds. You will use Void Assault when all-inning, and when getting ganked if you cannot escape with only Leap. Always use an auto attack after using a charge of Void Assault as it reapplies Unseen Threat in that you are creating a slowing continuum and they will not be able to escape easily without Flash or another escape ability.
- It is your lane to win or lose, not their's! You are Kha'Zix the Voidreaver!
Your mission is to poke at close range and deny the enemy laner farm as much as possible whilst remembering to last hit as many minions as you can, but never give up a minion for harass.
You don't get Gold by poking
- When it comes time, that you must strike, prepare yourself by warding so you aren't rudely interrupted by any foul beasts in your ravaging. Once you are done, push the rest of the minions to put some damage on the enemy tower.
- Remember to only use Void Spike when your health is getting low or when your jungler comes to help in a gank. Do not spam it, it costs a great deal of mana and having mana to spend could save your life when you are low
- Use Taste Their Fear on minions to get secure last hits. Taste Their Fear has a very short cooldown and a very low mana cost. You can kill 2 minions that are low by AA-ing (auto attacking) then use Taste Their Fear on the next one.
Also use Taste Their Fear to tell the enemy champion "back off this is my lane" whenever they get close to you, scratch them right in their eyes and they won't bug with you any longer
- Be that aggressive little bastard that Riot created you to be, and nothing less!
- Roaming is by far Kha'Zix's strongest attribute. After he reaches level 11 (when you evolve your [[leap) He becomes a crazy strong Grasshopper that had one too many redbulls for breakfast
- Level +6: When you go to gank bot from the blue side, river brush and try to Leap directly on top of the ADC or Support, so that not only you get the damage from Leap but now you are also in perfect position for an auto attack with Unseen Threat and an isolated Taste Their Fear. After one of them has died now you can use Void Spike to slow the other down into another isolated Taste Their Fear and more auto attacks if possible
- Level +6: Purple Side - Go around the dragon on the enemy's jungle territory and sneak through the tri-bush, then walk on the bottom path so there is no way they can get around you, slow one or both of them down with Void Spike and proceed. Don't use Leap until you need to catch up to them or else it will be wasted and they will easily escape with Flash
- Past level 11 you can easily choose to dive your enemies with little to no help from your teammates (that is if the enemy is low HP) With Leap evolved you can fly in, grab the kill, and fly out with only taking 2 or 3 tower shots, and i think that is my favorite feature of Kha'Zix, It's an attribute of a true assassin
- Top lane: if your top laner is tanky enough, you can choose to dive the enemy (when under turret) but if they are being push then simply walk through the river and ambush them from behind, remember to only use your Leap after they use their escapes. In Top lane you will have a lot more time to use your abilities effectively than in Mid Lane as the lane is a lot longer
- In teamfights your job is to either immediately eliminate high priority targets/squishy targets such as the ADC or the Mid laner OR Clean up the entire fight by applying your resets, chasing down your enemies one by one
- Look for people that are out of position, chunk them down as they walk into the bush that you are in. Walk up to them, slap them a few times then jump over the wall to safety, but do not get yourself in trouble at any cost, make sure your team is nearby to back you up
|Thank you all for reading my guide, I appreciate constructive criticism and very much a +1 if you feel this guide is deserving of it! This guide took about 8 hours to make over the course of 2 weeks, I made all the banners myself and I found some of the separators on google. I hope this guide gives you a little better understanding of who Kha'Zix is and how I think he should be played as of this Pre Season!
If you don't already know my opinion as to why their is no section for Matchups and Counters, it's because I honestly believe that if you are good at a champion there is no counter as long as you make it to late game.
Lots of love and have fun guys!
12.24.2013 // Added Summary banner
12.28.2013 // Changed General Build
12.29.2013 // Changed the "Discussion" Layout in the Items Section
12.29.2013 // Added Elixir of Fortitude as an Optimal Starting Item
12.30.2013 // Added 2 more situational endgame builds
12.30.2013 // Made Separators smaller and replaced the old ones
1.3.2014 // Fixed a grammar issue
1.4.2014 // Made dividers in items section more suttle
1.4.2014 // Fixed coding issue in runes
1.5.2014 // Added Table of Contents
1.5.2014 // Added Special Thanks Section
1.6.2014 // Added Banner
2.6.2014 // Recreated the Table of Contents