Build Guide by Unsactioned
Not Updated For Current Season
Master Yi Build
Not Updated For Current Season
Keeper of the ancient art of Wuju, Master Yi is a mystical warrior from the isle of Ionia. He descended from one of the few tribes dedicated to the preservation of Wuju, a martial art founded with the principles of absolute spiritual awareness of one's self and one's enemy. When the armies of Noxus invaded Ionia, Master Yi joined in the Ionian defense to fight the craven enemy, bringing his village honor through his unparalleled mastery of the blade. The ensuing battles ravaged the land, but no conflict inflicted as much horror as the day the armies of Noxus closed in on Yi's village. Left undefended, the village became the unfortunate test subject of the latest invention by an up-and-coming chemist, now known as Singed. The remains of the village that Master Yi returned to were so horrific that it remains a festering scar on Ionian history. To this day, no Ionian will ever publicly speak of what occurred.
After the Noxian invasion was contained, Master Yi fell into a deep isolation. For years, he trained morning to night, speaking to no one and refusing offers of consolation by fellow Ionians. The only thing stopping him from madly charging into Noxus battle lines headfirst was his pledge to keep the Wuju style alive. Even though he seethed with impatience, his rage became a tool for sharpening his practice of Wuju, developing stronger and deadlier skills for his eventual vengeance. The only thing that roused him was news of the League's formation, and Noxus's subsequent enrollment in the League. Master Yi now brings his mastery of the blade to the League of Legends with unflinching purpose: to avenge his kinfolk and end the predations of the Noxus once and for all.
''The art of Wuju lives on in Master Yi, and is plunged through the hearts of his foes.'' -- Soraka, the Starchild
I call this build Master Yi: The High-tech Killer because of his glasses/goggles thingy on his head lol.
Another thing. You can change up the order you get items in on this build and not effect the results. If i want more attack damage early I get a B.F Sword before my Zeal and Phage.
- Master Yi attacks twice every 7th attack.
- Master Yi leaps across the battlefield with blinding speed hitting up to four enemies, with a chance to deal bonus magic damage to minions. If you are by an enemy torrent do not use this on an enemy Champion that is in range of there torrent unless you know you can get a kill and get away.
- Master Yi rejuvenates his body by force of mind, restoring health and increasing his armor and magic resistance for a short time. This is for use after you have taken damage in a team fight or during the laning phase of the game.
- Master Yi becomes skilled in the art of Wuju, passively increasing the power of his basic attacks. Activating Wuju Style doubles the passive bonus damage for a short time, but the passive bonus is temporarily removed after the effect wears off. This should be activated before you Alpha Strike onto an enemy That way when you are in range to use basic attacks you have increased attack damage.
- Master Yi moves with unparalleled agility, temporarily increasing Master Yi's attack speed and move speed as well as making him immune to all slowing effects. Additionally, killing a Champion refreshes all of Master Yi's cooldowns. This is for escaping and chasing down enemies only use it when you have to.
Pros & Cons
Great damage output
Great attack speed
Great escape mechanism
Easy to play
Squishy early game
Vulnerable to disables
Low HP throughout game
Tips and Things to Expect When Playing as Yi
Master Yi is a very squishy early to mid game champion. He is easily shut down it the laning phase by range champs keeping you away from minions. Play against them with caution. Early game be prepared to be focused, any smart team will try to kill you as much as possible so you cant farm and buy your items. If you are laning against a stunner such as Taric or a blinder such as Teemo try to trade lanes with a teammate so you can efficiently farm and get kills.
Try to last hit minions as much as possible to get that extra cash flow. When you get to level six and get you Ult clear your lane of enemy champs then gank other lanes to get more money and help your lanes push. Never try to take on someone by yourself if that enemy has a blinder or stunner with them. If you think your going to die get out of there use your Ult if you have to. If your anything like me and you don't want to leave an ally behind, especially if the are on a killing spree, run in there and alpha strike their squishy this should distract them or at least the squishy. Once your sure your teammate can get away get out of there.
In a team fight against a smart team DO NOT ENGAGE what for them to start running and clean up. I know that's kind of a jerk move and basically Kill Stealing but hey it happens just apologize to your team afterwards. If you are playing a smart team and you to initiate a team fight be ready to die they will focus you. So avoid that as much as possible. And when you are in a team fight pick one enemy, preferably a squishy, and only attack that one champ until it is dead. Also if they have a carry like ashe, or yi tell your team to focus them so you can win the team fights. Also another good idea for a team fight is to go and get Red Buff before you start.
Also Master Yi is a pro back doorer. If you are being focused in a team fight and repeatedly dieing forget the team fights and back door. Gather a large group of minions be running ahead of the minion wave and killing all but three or four in the on coming minion wave. Leave those three or four to slow down your minion wave allowing the wave behind them to catch up. Continue doing this and when you reach and enemy tower you will have a large minion army.
- This rune increases your dodge chance and because of your masteries if you dodge an attack your movement speed is increased by 10% allowing you to chase down fleeing opponents. This rune is expensive and not a must so I will show you another Seal if you can not afford this. (See alternate rune choices)
- This increases you attack speed helping you get kills early game. This is not a must have rune but I like using it.
Greater Quintessence of Desolation- Same as Greater Mark of Desolation.
- Gives you more speed helping you to chase down wounded enemies early game. Also gets turned into Berserker's Greaves
- Allows you to stay in lane longer, get more kills early, and level faster.
- Gives you movement speed and AS both of which you need for Master Yi.
- This is your main carry item. It gives you AS, AD, and LS. It gives near by teammates the same.
- Gives you movement speed, AS, and Crit Chance all are very nice to have on Master Yi.
- Gives you HP and AD which means survivability and more damage. And as an extra bonus it has a chance to slow your enemy.
- This gives you AS, Movement Speed, and Crit Chance. Great for getting kills.
- This increases your survivability and slows them allowing you to get easy kills.
- Gives you AD (**** load of it) and Crit Chance. This is when you can dominate with no problem.
- This is one of my favorite items in the game. It gives you LS and AD. The AD and LS on this item increases with every kill you get. If you don't think you can get the max stack on this item or you don't want LS buy another Infinity Edge.
Once all these items are put together you are now an unstoppable killer.
Use Alpha Strike first to get up in their face and beat them down with Wuju Style. If the try to run use Highlander to chase them down. If Alpha Strike is ready again use it to close the distance between you and your fleeing enemy faster. Use Meditate to heal the damage that was done to you. Then go out and kill more people and "LOL" when it says "PENTAKILL"
Alternate Rune Choices
- Affordable and gives you extra AD helping you get kills throughout the game.
- Gives you more AS. You already have great AS but if you want to have even more, helping you get kills, I would get this.
- This rune will help you get kill by increasing your CD but its not very affordable which is why I don't use it.
Alternate Item Choices
Now this is where some of you might think I'm crazy.
- Alright I know that this is more for hybrid champs but I love this item. It gives you LS, AD, SV, and AP. It deals 300 MD to an enemy and slows them when activated. This will increase the damage on your Alpha Strike and increase the amount of HP you recover through Meditate Build this in pieces. Start with Hextech Revolver early game Bilgewater Cutlass mid game and finish this item late game.
- This is another one of my favorite items. This gives you AD and AS and also chops the enemy's armor allowing you to deal greater damage. I recommend this item in place of Infinity Edge but only if you are able to get stacks on The Bloodthirster Late game item.
- I personally do not like this item very much but I promised my brother I would put it in here. Wriggle's gives you AD, LS, and armor. It also gives you a free sight ward. Get this early game.
- This item is useful. It gives you splash damage allowing you to hurt enemies around you instead of just the one you are attacking. It also helps you farm. If you get this I would recommend getting it Mid game
- This is a useful item. It revives you where you died allowing you to get more kill or get away but if your unlucky you'll just die again. I don't get this item because I prefer to get more damage dealing items. Get late game.
Wait for you tank or tanky person to attack and get all the enemies around him then Alpha Strike onto a squishy kill it. Then from the you go for the next squishiest player. Yi doesnt really need anyone but himself and a tank so his team work is very easy to get down.
I hope you like my build Master Yi: The High-tech Killer. I put a lot of work into this and I think its really good. If you think some items would be better in place of other please post and I will try it out. Also post questions you have for me so I can make a Q&A chapter.