Sion Build Guide by Pyrojuggler
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
About this Guide
Hey fellow LoL players. I hope that this guide will send you guys on your way to becoming professional AD Sion Junglers. Now most of you are probably thinking, "AD Sion? Not going to happen. AP Sion is MUCH better." I would agree that AP Sion is very handy in nuking down enemies but AD Sion has similar potential. When going with AD Sion, you don't have the problem of waiting for your skills to come back up. Instead, you have a constant nuking damage which goes up by 300% when your ult turns on. In a good game I have been able hit constant crits in the thousands range. AD Sion can prove to be more useful than Tryndamere because of larger critical damage, more sustainability, more CC, and in general benefits for your team. With good teamwork, you can have complete control of baron as soon as you turn level 11. Now going into some depth...
Pros / Cons
-Good ganking (if your skilled)
-89% crit chance without ult
-Can go from 200 health to full health in 2-4 hits (Extremely funny to watch enemies to cry)
-VERY beneficial for the team
-Requires lots of farm
-Ganks can be difficult at times
-Requires skilled engage time in team fights (or else you'll be nuked down)
- Ignite hurts
As I stated above, I'm not very good with Masteries. Although some things you want for sure will be: Summoner's Wrath , Summoner's Resolve , Butcher , Alacrity , Weapon Expertise , Deadliness , Lethality , and Executioner . The others you can play around with (please comment if you find a better mastery page). Obviously both the Summoner's Masteries will be for your summoner spells. Butcher may note seem necessary buy 4 damage per attack on a creep add's up when you have around 250 creep kills. Alacrity is needed for Weapon Expertise and Weapon Expertise is a must for practically any AD Carry out there, yes you will be carrying. Then Deadliness is needed for Lethality . Lethality is a must for Sion because at level 18 and full build, you'll always hit crits with your ult on and you want those crits to do as much damage as possible. Lethality grants this extra damage. Once again, if you find an adjustment to this current mastery page or just a completely different mastery page that works better, please do tell me.
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Attack Speed
Greater Quintessence of Health
Now before I say anything else, I'm not the best when it comes to choosing runes or Masteries. The one thing that you can be certain of is that Greater Mark of Desolation are essential to nearly all jungles. The same applies with Sion. For seals, I prefer Greater Seal of Armor . With these seals, you will have great sustainability in your jungle early game. When it comes to glyphs I believe you have two different choices. Either you can take Greater Glyph of Replenishment or you can have Greater Glyph of Attack Speed. With Greater Glyph of Replenishment seals, you don't won't rely on blue buff as heavily (you really don't need it once you get Wriggles Lantern, although it makes sure you will have mana for ganks) later into the game. I personally prefer Greater Glyph of Attack Speed runes because it keeps my jungle going at a nice pace. Either one should be fine. Finally, Quintessences. For my Quints, I have been rolling with Greater Quintessence of Health. With 3 Greater Quintessence of Health, you get 78 bonus health giving you much more potential to gank. However, I am going to expirement with the new Greater Quintessence of Life Steal. I'll notify you guys once I know how they turn out. Please comment if you find a better rune page.
- Cleanse- Prevents you from being stunned and nuked. Also removes Ignite.
- Exhaust- Useful for slowing down enemies and removing their damage but I think ghost is better through the duration of the game.
- Flash- Can be useful for ganks: Flash + Cryptic Gaze = Dead opponent. Also gets you out of ugly situations.
- Ghost- My personal favorite because you can use this for ganks, chasing and getaways. It's meant for everything.
- Ignite- It's usable and can secure kills but really isn't as useful as Ghost.
- Smite- You're a jungler... this should be self explanatory.
Spells Not to Use
- Clairvoyance- Your going to play as an AD Carry, leave this spell to tanks or supports.
- Clarity- Mana is an issue early game only if you play dumb; play smart and it's not needed.
- Heal- Everyone calls this a noob spell but it's really not that bad... I just don't advocate using this spell because Sion already has enough lifesteal to keep himself alive without it.
- Revive- Sion doesn't die!!
- Teleport- Once again, your a jungler... self explanatory.
- Surge- With the build I have recommended the additional attack speed is unnecessary.
The skill sequence should be obvious. You need to max your Enrage first so that your creep kills give you plenty of max health. Although the little box of info at the top says you only end with around 2.4k max health, you should have at least 3k health with a good farm and the build given above. Remember that AD Sion is useless if he can get nuked down in 1 burst from LeBlanc or other characters like her. So be sure your farm is good or else you will need to by some sustainability items. Then you want to max your Death's Caress. Why Death's Caress over your Cryptic Gaze? Well, your shield will make sure you lose NO health in the jungle. Not only that, but your Cryptic Gaze isn't very useful damage wise if you are not playing AP Sion. Then your Cannibalism should be maxed third for obvious reasons. Lastly your Cryptic Gaze should be maxed.
In this chapter I will explain why I chose the items for my main build
- Mercury's Treads- This item helps you escape from CC and also reduces the likeliness of being nuked down.
- Infinity Edge- This is essential for Sion because of how often you hit Crits
- Phantom Dancer- Getting the first one is a necessity because it gives you nice movemment speed, attack speed and critical chance. The second is optional but further improves those stats.
- The Black Cleaver- This item gives you even more attack damage and let's you tear apart squishies even faster.
- The Bloodthirster- This replaces your lifesteal gained from you wriggles (Sell this for The Bloodthirster).
In this Chapter I will give examples of alternate/conditional items you could get.
Alternate Items that I think are good
- Banshee's Veil- Prevents instant death from an AP Burst like Leblanc
- The Bloodthirster- More AD if you think the AS from the second Phantom Dancer is unnecessary.
- Frozen Mallet- If enemies are annoying and run away all the time ( Shaco) or if you need the health.
- Guardian Angel- If you are getting focused down too fast.
- Last Whisper- Good replacement for The Black Cleaver if the enemy team is extremely tanky.
- Youmuu's Ghostblade- Provides Some armor penetration and even more attack speed
Remember that farming is a must for Sion. Without it, you are taking the road to doom. Try and get 200+ creep kills per game. If you have 200 you'll have at least 500 bonus health due to Enrage if you follow this guide properly. This is probably the biggest problem to AD Sion. If you don't get a good farm with him, he becomes difficult to use. Although difficult to use, he can be still very useful.
Creeping / Jungling
Finally what you've been waiting for, THE JUNGLE!!!!!!!!!! Sion's jungle is a VERY easy 15 step procedure.
1. Turn on Enrage
2. Go to Golem camp
3. Attack larger Golem and kill it with Smite and then kill smaller golem
4. Go kill Wraiths
5. Turn on shield as soon as you pass mid lane
6. Attack Wolves as your shield gets to one second before you can manually detonate it
7. Kill Wolves
8. Kill Blue Buff
9. Go Gank the two lanes your closest to
10. Go back and kill Wolves again
11. Kill Wraiths Again
12. Kill Red Buff
13. Kill Small Golems again
14. Gank again
15. Get Dragon once your level 6
One major thing you want to do while jungling is spam your Smite. Although I say to spam your Smite, you have to use it logically. Be sure to have Smite for the main camps (Red buff, Blue buff, Dragon , Baron ) but you want to use it outside of those camps too. The 10 gold it grants per use of Smite add's up in the end.
Red Circles- This is the initial route you want to follow
Blue Circles- Follow this path after finishing the Red Path
This is probably one of the biggest drawbacks to AD Sion if you can't play him properly. Engaging too early will result in being nuked down and absolutely useless while engaging too late will result in not having a team to support you. The key time to engage is when the AP casters have blown their spells and or they are stunned. As long as you can get in range to hit someone, you should not die. Just be sure to not wait too long or else your team will die without you leaving you with fighting around 4 people which even Sion can't do all the time.
Overall, AD Jungle Sion is a very fun and incredibly good character. The main things you need to keep in mind is having a strong farm, helping your teammates out, constantly grabbing dragon and everything else a normal jungler does. Oh yeah, also owning some noobs. Just getting through the jungle is not difficult (I just decided to Jungle Sion for the first time in a 5v5 and got through it with no problems). Getting full control of the map requires practice and skill. I have confidence in all of you. Remember that little carries will turn and run at the sight of you.
Please rate and leave comments on what I need to improve or what I did good.
And one more thing DON'T HATE!!! cuz this the first guide I've made...