Shyvana Build Guide by SilverSeer
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Hallo everyone! I'm SilverSeer723, and this is my Shyvana Guide! I worked hard to make this guide the best I could, and I would appreciate any and all feedback that you guys may provide (positive or negative).
Without further ado, I present to you, my dear readers, my Shyvana Guide. I put a fair amount of effort into this guide, so I do suggest you to reconsider any negative votes before the actual trial and testing of my guide that I imagine you are planning to do. And above all, thank you for taking the time to read this Shyvana Guide.
Pros / Cons
+ High damage output
+ Passive tankiness with Dragon's Descent
+ Can jungle
+ Fast jungle
+ No mana
+ Incredibly powerful when fed
- Often Focused
- Hard to master
- No instant gap closer
- Ganks must be coordinated very well in order to work out
- No hard crowd control such as a stun
Many people wonder why in hell I would use0 / 21 / 9 over 21 / 9 / 0. Basically, if we use the items we want to buy and use the runes I have suggested, we do not need any points in the Offensive Mastery Tree because Shyvana's damage output is already incredibly high. As jungle Shyvana we want more utility to gank rather than more damage because ,as stated earlier, our damage output early on is insane. Simply put, we get more money and power by being there 10 seconds faster than we do by killing someone 1 second sooner.
||Tier 1 //
is excellent when we have smite. This gold will add up.
are both helpful when jungling and let us stay on the map longer.
Tier 2 // Durability is useful for lategame tankiness but we mostly get this as a filler and a prerequisite for Veteran's Scars .
Tier 3 // Indomitable is mostly a filler however it is useful for tankiness. Veteran's Scars gives us just that little bit of extra health early on that lets us live with just 10 health rather than a death timer. Bladed Armor is invaluable for jungling so we should definitely take it.
Tier 4 // Initiator gives that extra movespeed boost that allows more successful ganks.
Tier 5 // Honor Guard is an amazing skill that increases your survivability even more!
Tier 6 // Juggernaut . Less crowd control affects you. More health for them to tear down. Need I say more?
||Tier 1 //
if you want Flash,
if you do not want Flash.
because we have no mana.
Tier 2 // Swiftness for faster ganks, more ganks, and more map control.
Tier 3 // Runic Affinity because we want to have as long of a red buff as we can possibly have!
Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration
Greater Mark of Attack Speed
Greater Mark of Armor Penetration
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
- Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration: These runes are amazing on Shyvana because she does about 50%/50% AD/AP.
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed: Attack speed is great for Shyvana, attacking someone brings rewards from her skill set, more speed more attacks.
- Greater Mark of Desolation: Very much like Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration, just a personal preference between the 2, though I would suggest Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration over these.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: Not the best choice in my opinion but if you want them they work (just not as well).
For seals we don't really have a choice, armor is the only way to go here. I really just don't see another viable choice, we NEED the armor for jungling and tankiness, I just don't see another way.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Glyph of Attack Speed
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: I find these as the most useful because they compliment your ability to go unscathed throughout the teamfights. The only drawback is that they aren't effective early game.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: These also give a nice compliment to your ability to live however these are more focused on early game and fall out later in the game.
- Greater Glyph of Attack Speed: Another good choice. These provide a nice speed boost to our jungle time and damage output, but we will die a bit quicker with these.
Greater Quintessence of Hybrid Penetration
Greater Quintessence of Armor Penetration
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
- Great Quintessence of Destruction: These compliment Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration very nicely and I highly recommend the hybrid penetration.
- Great Quintessence of Desolation: These are exactly how I explained in the marks, personal preference.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed: A good choice because it allows us even more speed and mobility around the map.
Flash: Get out of Jail Free and more secure ganks.
Smite: You're jungling so this is kinda important.
Ghost: Helps with map control significantly.
Exhaust: Helps win those 1v1s with their fed AD carry.
Ignite: Helps get that last bit of damage to finish off that pesky 100hp.
INNATE: Shyvana's melee attacks enhance her abilities.
Twin Bite - Reduces the cooldown by 0.5 seconds.
Burnout - Extends the duration by 1 second to a maximum of 6 seconds.
Flame Breath - Deals 15% of the ability's damage to debuffed targets.
Dragon's Descent - Attacks generate 2 Fury and Shyvana passively gains Fury over time while in human form.
Q: Shyvana strikes twice on her next attack, dealing physical damage on the second attack. The bonus damage is equal to 80/85/90/95/100% of Shyvana's Attack Damage.
Dragon Form: Twin Bite cleaves all units in front Shyvana.
Range - 650
- Combine Twin Bite with Sheen in order to blow a nuke in the enemy's face.
- Spam this spell as much as possible in any fight in order to get off maximum damage potential.
- Use this spell to stay in Dragon's Descent's active longer.
- When in Dragon's Descent's active form, make sure to position yourself so you are hitting as many enemies as possible, Twin Bite will act like a cone attack in front of Shyvana.
- Last hit buff creatures with this spell in order to further insure the last hit. This tactic compliments with Smite very nicely.
W: Shyvana deals 25/40/55/70/85 (+0.2 AD) magic damage per second to nearby enemies and moves 30/35/40/45/50% faster for 3 seconds. Shyvana's Movement Speed bonus is reduced over time.
Dragon Form: Burnout scorches the ground beneath it, enemies on the scorched earth continue to take damage.
Range - 325
- Burnout can be used as both an offensive and defensive tool, do not only use it to chase.
- Chasing an enemy with Burnout and a slowing item such as Phage will help you catch them much faster.
- When in Dragon Form it is possible to use Burnout like Singed's Poison Trail.
- Using the spell Ghost along with Burnout will yield a massive movespeed bonus.
- Sometimes save Burnout when someone is chasing you for once you reach your tower, then circle around the tower while using Burnout to gain an advantage and possibly end with a kill. When doing this however, make sure you hit the enemy at least once so you get credit for the kill. This becomes much easier when in Dragon Form.
E: Shyvana unleashes a fireball that deals 80/125/170/215/260 (+0.6 AP) magic damage and burns 15% of their Armor for 4 seconds.
Dragon Form: Flame Breath engulfs all units in a cone in front of her.
Range - 925
- Do not use this spell until you are sure you can hit the enemy, if you miss or hit a minion they keep that 15% armor.
- Use this spell on enemies that tower dive you as it will lower their armor so they will take more damage.
- Try and save this spell for important targets and do not waste it as a harassment tool.
R:Passive - Shyvana reinforces her scales, increasing her Armor and Magic Resist by 15/20/25. Defensive bonuses are doubled in Dragon Form. Active - Shyvana transforms into a dragon and takes flight to a target location. Enemies along her path take 200/300/400 (+0.7 AP) magic damage and are knocked toward her target location.
Cost - 6 Fury per second
Range - 1000
- Use this spell to knock enemies into friendly towers or back towards or teammates in order to ensure a kill.
- Using this spell doubles the passive from it, using it every teamfight IS NOT A WASTE. The cooldown is relatively short because of your passive, and for the same reason it can last a long time.
- When activated, every spell gains AoE potential, make the most of it.
- Use this spell like you would Flash, jump over walls to chase enemies who Flashed away.
- The damage on this spell may not be high, but damage is damage, try and hit as many enemies as possible.
- Use Twin Bite to stay in Dragon Form longer, each hit applies on-hit effects so you will gain 4 Fury each time you use Twin Bite,however in dragon form, the spell applies to everyone in front of you. This is an amazing tactic as there is a chance you can gain 20+ Fury just by using Twin Bite correctly!
Ability Sequence Order
We want to take Burnout first as it is our greatest damage output and utility skill we have. Because it scales AD but deals magic damage, the enemy must build both armor and magic resistance to counter us, however we have hybrid pen runes, so this is no problem! Next we want Twin Bite for the cooldown reduction and higher damage, the double-hit and Wit's End and Sheen on our build will allow maximum damage. Then we want Flame Breath. There is pretty much no reason to not level this last, the only reason we would would be to take advantage of the passive, but Sheen + Twin Bite is more effective. Of course we take Dragon's Descent at levels 6, 11, and 16 for obvious reasons.
- Mercury's Treads: Excellent for crowd control reduction, allows us to have more time being able to fight back.
- Wit's End: Amazing counter for AP carries, the on-hit effect also allows for a higher damage output.
- Sunfire Cape: Health, armor, and passive magic damage, perfect for jumping into the middle of the fight and not instantly dying!
- Madred's Bloodrazor: Great for shredding high health targets and a little bit of armor attack speed and attack damage.
- Trinity Force: Everything we need and more. Sheen proc, Phage slow, Zeal movespeed and attack speed, health, what's not to love?
- The Bloodthirster: Now that our other items have made us tanky, it's time to get some lifesteal to stay alive even longer!
- Wriggle's Lantern: Not in the final build as The Bloodthirster wil lreplace it, however this is an EXCELLENT item to buy please just get it!! Armor, jungle speed, attack damage, lifesteal, free ward, just do it man!!
- Warmog's Armor: If we really need a lot more health this is the way to go.
- Banshee's Veil: Too much crowd control or their AP carry got fed? This is the perfect solution.
- Infinity Edge: If we don't need to be tanky to solo the enemy team, why not buy this baby and go **** the enemies faces off eh?
- Thornmail: Vs. a fed AD carry? Buy it.
- Frozen Mallet: Need more slows or health, this is the one.
- The Black Cleaver: They stacking armor just for you? Problem solved.
- Last Whisper: If they have so much armor you need this, you should be raping anyways, you do half magic damage xD Still not a bad choice however.
Contrary to popular belief, you are NOT an initiator. If we initiate we will die, we will do 0 damage and we are not being full potential. Just don't do it. Our job is inbetween initiator and assassin. We want to go in before our AP carry and assassins do, but after our tanks do, in this way we will be able to soak up damage and crowd control but at the same time be able to deal massive amounts of AoE damage to the other team which will force them die.
Wait until the TANK rushes in and forces them to focus him/her. ALMOST immediately rush in with Dragon's Descent. Immediately afterwards spam every ability you have while staying alive, keep hitting them as much as possible. DO NOT CHASE DOWN ENEMIES, swap to a different target instead, your goal is to soak up damage AND deal it out to the other team. Let your assassin worry about the runners, that is not your job.
Run in after tank - do damage - soak up damage for team - leave.
Basically, we want to go get Red Buff then gank as many lanes as possible before recalling. After first recall go to Wolves then Blue Buff then gank and coutnerjungle. Remember to get dragon when we can! The money given from dragon is invaluable to our team. The more successful ganks the better!
This is where you and your team should Sight Ward.
Yellow: Vital to protect the jungler on your team
Blue: For protection depending on which lane you're on
Red: To guard Dragon and Baron
Orange: In order to Counter-Jungle
Shyvana is an extremely fun champion to play, even though she is hard to get the hang of. If you have any comments, questions or queries about my guide, please don't hesitate to ask any questions.
Upvote if you liked the guide, and only downvote if you feel it is absolutely necessary. If you do downvote, please inform me of why, and perhaps I can rectify any mistakes I have made.
Now, go solo that enemy team!
Special thanks to jhoijhoi for everything she has helped me with for making a good guide! You can check out her guide here!
Thanks for everything, from a good layout to BBcoding help to line dividers. Big help jhoijhoi I really appreciate it!