Kog'Maw Build Guide by YayaFTW
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello folks! This is YayaFTW, and It's an honor for me to present you the ultimate AP Carry Kog'Maw build!
The main reason I decided to make a guide about Kog'Maw as an AP Carry is because I noticed that this playstyle for this versatile and popular champion is underrated by many players, especially the new-comers. But what most of you don't know, Kog'Maw is one of the most painful Mid-Lane Champions to play against.
Here's a quick glimpse of what he can do: (Credit goes to Best AP Kog NA / Cohen5250)
The point of this build is to show you how to build a devastating Kog'Maw to tear apart most, if not all AP mid-lane champions.
I'd appreciate the feedback my friends, truly! To be honest this is my first guide, and i'm looking forward to improve, so feel free to leave comments and ideas on how I can improve anytime! Let's get this started!
Big thanks and Credit to jhoijhoi, I am using his build template, a true genius this jhoijhoi.
+ Exceptional Farmer.
+ Excellent Harasser with Bio-Arcane Barrage
+ Jungler friendly with Void Ooze
+ Devastating combos early and late game.
+ Lane Destroyer/Dominator if mastered.
+ Not mana hungry if you manage it well.
- Squishy early game.
- His ultimate takes skill to land.
- Very vulnerable to Gap closers (Akali, Lee sin, etc etc..)
- No sustain.
21 Points in the Offense Tree, maxing the Ability Power tier, you know, the casual mage tree.
9 Points in the Defense Tree, in the Flat HP / Scaling HP tier to get rid of some of that early squishiness and survive potential enemy ganks.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: Boosts that early Void Ooze damage and scales well with the Offense tree.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Synergizes well early game with Void Ooze and late game with Caustic Spittle.
- Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction: I prefer AP Scaling runes over AP Flat ones by far because they give the same amount of AP at level 7, and more than double that amount at level 18. And I guess an average Kog'Maw player can make it easy and safe to level 7 regardless of which of both these runes.
- greater seal of Vitality: With these runes and the 9 Points in the Defense tree along with Rod of Ages, you can say bye-bye to squishy Kog'Maw.
Flash: I mean come on ! Flash is more than a must-have on every single champ in my opinion. It saved my life every single game I played so far.
Ignite: This spell works like a charm with Void Ooze+ Bio-Arcane Barrage combo early game. It significantly increases the damage output and often secures a kill if you catch the enemy out of position.
Cleanse: I suggest this spell for skilled people only since it takes fast reflexes and correct momentum to use it successfully. It takes Ignite's slot, but against some mid-lane champions like Veigar or some junglers like Amumu it's worth it, maybe even mandatory.
- Icathian Surprise: Were you trading damage with an enemy champion and something went wrong? Did their jungler come out of nowhere? did they manage to finish you off while they are low health? Fear no more ! Just run to them and explode their sorry @$$ off and get your well deserved kill back !
Pro tip: If you are being chased by a ranged champion and you know you can't make it, turn around and go melee on them and dish as much damage as possible, and finish them off with your passive after you die. If you keep running away you will eventually die and you won't catch him with your passive.
- Caustic Spittle (Q): This spell can nuke hard, dish a lot of damage to squishies late game and lets you shredder a tank with his armor/magic resist debuff, but I find that this spell isnt that useful early game, and that it takes away the range advantage of Kog'Maw's combo if you rely on it a lot.
Pro tip : Don't level this spell until late game, and when you do, use it to initiate combos or weaken tanky champions.
- Bio-arcane Barrage (W): This ability is just Godlike!! This is what makes Kog'Maw one of the best harrassers in the game by FAR! I can't believe how many times I get a "Stop this **** this isn't fairplay!" from the enemy champion when I combine it with Void Ooze because I leave him at 8 cs in 10 mins of the game.
Pro-tip: Pay attention to minion aggro when you harass, it might be the reason you die since you have no sustain. Also, always combine this ability with Void Ooze, The more time he is slowed the more hits you land on him. Also use it to last-hit minions easily if you have trouble with that.
- Void Ooze (E): What can I say, this is what makes Kog'Maw the excellent farmer he is. In Mid-game and this spell at level 5, you just easily melt the whole minion wave, melee and caster combined!! And that's not it, this spell is one of the rare spells that fully synergize with any jungler in the game, along with Karthus's Wall of Pain. And again that's not it ! It hits so hard and slows so much it can make a whole 5-man enemy push back off when combined with Living Artillery!! And on top of all, it's one of the easiest skill-shots to land..what more do you want?
Pro-tip: Don't use it unless you're melting an enemy wave or going for the kill or saving a teammate or yourself, also, its range go a little bit further than the displayed range. Use this spell wisely because it can turn the tide of a chase if used in the right moment.
- Living artillery (R): Ohohohoho, now we're talking serious. Your enemies will find this ultimate to be by far, the most annoying ultimate on earth, besides the Spin-2-win Death Lotus and the Press-R-2-Win Requiem. You can use it to chase, harrass, farm, steal, secure, check bushes, anything, literally anything, and above all EXTREMELY fun to use. BUT it's takes skill to land, a lot of skill and practice. But let me tell you this: master this ultimate, and you will demolish the lane, destroy it.
Pro-tip: Living atrillery has an extreme range, and grants vision on successful hit. ALWAYS HARASS WITH IT! and always predict your enemy's movement, where he's going and land it a little bit farther to get him in the hitbox. Also, always be aware of your whereabouts, don't just keep snipe-chasing the enemy till you find yourself in their base getting killed by turrets, happens a lot.
One more thing, manage the use of it, it can drain your mana pretty fast if you chain it a lot. And never hesitate to use it to check bushes and steal drakes and nashor's.
I decided to max out simultaneously Void Ooze and Bio-Arcane Barrage since they work like bread and butter with each other, and leave out Caustic Spittle for the end since it doesnt cooperate with the other spells early game. Of course, I level up Living Artillery whenever I can.
: Let's you deal almost true damage early game. If your enemy team tend to focus you with CC switch them for Mercury's Treads late game.
: Let's you stay in lane forever and also sygergizes well with Archangel's Staff.
: I don't even need to explain, all I can say is that it let's you have around 950 ap late game.
: Let's you spam your ultimate without going out of mana early. Also gives a sh*tload of AP.
: Just throw an AA between every spell you cast and you'll be dealing crazy damage.
In Laning phase, you should focus on two important things: Last hit as much minions as you can, and zoning the enemy champion. While doing so you should keep in mind a few tips:
+ Always avoid minion aggro. If the enemy minion wave has more pressure than yours, don't harrass unless you're going for the kill and That you're sure to survive after getting him. You have no sustain so you will end up zoning yourself if you harass unconsciously.
+ When you are harrassing/zoning the enemy champion, keep in mind that their jungler will certainly come to gank your lane to free his friend from your pressure, so never overextend without wards or while Flash is on cooldown.
+ While playing AP Kog'Maw, I found out that there's a specific moment when I often get a kill if your jungler is a bit tanky/not squishy or has insane gap closing mechanics such as Lee Sin or Maokai. The way to always snap a certain kill is that, after zoning and harrassing your enemy, his friendly jungler comes in to help. There's a 90% chance he will burn his Flash to close the gap on you and help his jungler to kill you after the jungler engages you. What you do is throw a Void Ooze in front of you so they can't chase you, and if necessary Flash away. After a fail gank the enemy jungler will guard the mid lane for the enemy mid champion to recall and come back. When t jungler's gone and the enemy mid is back, Now is the time you go for the kill: pop your HP/Mana pots and go aggressive on him, just spam all the spells and make sure you never miss. The thing is, he won't recall back when he falls to low HP because he just recalled a while ago and he wont risk losing more farm/exp. Now all you have to do is towerdive with your jungler, immediately Void Ooze+ Ignite if he fights your jungler back, or Snipe him off with Living Artillery while he runs back to base. Make sure your jungler is good and knows what he's doing.
In teamfights, your job is easy and simple: Try to hit as many enemies as possible with Void Ooze, focus with Bio-Arcane Barrage and Caustic Spittle along with AA with Lich Bane procs between spells and Ignite their carry, and constantly throw a Living Artillery between AA. If you are winning the teamfight, be ready to snipe off the runners/flashers with your ultimate and get the well-earned ace.
+ Always try to stay away from enemy spell/AA range since you have much more range. If they try to focus you and you drop low health and you know you'll die a certain death soon, go in the middle of the lot, spam as much ultimate as you can and explode in the middle of the teamfight.
Well this is it ! I hope this wasn't too long to read, I tried to keep things simple. I also hope you enjoy playing this champ as much as I did. I am expecting your feedback my friends! And i'm looking forward to improve as I could use a bit of help from you guys with that =P
If you found this guide very helpful, please Upvote and +rep me as a lot of time was put in this and I would like to see some encouragements and motivations to help me make more guides in the future. If you do downvote for any reason, please let me know why in the comments section below and I will do my best to rectify my errors.
At last, i've managed to collect some screenshots of successful games from solo queue gaming with AP Kog'Maw these last few days. I never went negative with him in these last 16 games I played but I only won 12 of them. After all, it's a team game, and one can't do a whole team's job ;) Send me yours and i'll upload them along with mine gladly.
Also I wanna thank these people who helped me a lot through their templates and guides to make this guide, thank you guys. It was jhoijhoi who mentionned them in her template and I used her template so they deserve credit too.
17/07/2012: Detailed the item build section.
16/12/2012: I was about to archive this guide but when I saw the good feed-back I decided to update it for S3, although there wasn't much to change except Masteries.