Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

"Transition" champions for support...

Creator: Stixxzadinia August 14, 2012 4:19am
1 2
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 18, 2012 11:30pm | Report
Maokai is better in the jungle where he works as a support jungler :D
Stixxzadinia
<Member>
Stixxzadinia's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2012 8:19am | Report
True, but I always play with my friend who normally plays AD carries...so I make like a bro and support him. Hahaha!
I find "comparing epeen" trivial, so I play support.
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2012 10:23am | Report
Youve got the idea, mao is a zoning support. saplings HURT early if you have AP on your runepage, plus he has a great anti-gank kit with his blink root and aoe bounce and slow. If you want more damage early and the enemy laners are being pretty ballsy and not respecting your zone of danger, grab Sheen and build it into a Lich Bane. If not, go ahead and grab catalyst the protector and build it into a Rod of Ages. The best ap tank build for him that i have found is:

Rod of Ages
Mercury's Treads
Frozen Heart
Abyssal Mask
Rylai's Crystal Scepter OR Lich Bane
Guardian Angel OR Force of Nature.

You can do this build by getting a couple of assists or kills in lane, then making sure you are near EVERY hotspot on the map to rack up assists. Tossing down your ult in the middle of a teamfight will grant you assists for every death, his saplings and knock up are great AOE assist machines. This will get you cash FAST. Most of the time i don't get past abyssal when i do this, and i doubt you will either. BTW, this ALSO works great for ap tank jungler. But you have to have good coordination with your team, because this build isnt made to deal crazy amounts of damage.

OH, and one more thing. If you want to mao support, try and ban Soraka. She is one of the very few traditional supports that can out heal mao harass.

Glad you found yourself a new aggressive support. If you hae any more questions, feel free to add me in game, my IGN is The Overmynd. GLHF XD
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Ayak22
<Member>
Ayak22's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2012 2:10pm | Report
This was an interesting read as I'm in a very similar situation, pretty much only play Soraka and usually lose if my team sucks, even if I win my lane with my AD. I've been playing solo top quite a bit, and Lee sin is proving to be quite the fun character.
Most days you'll find me playing support with a loss streak. Some days you'll find me playing support and actually winning. Occasionally, you won't find me playing support at all.
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2012 5:51pm | Report
Soraka makes it damn near impossible to get kills in lane unless you have a jungler's help. That much is very true. However, once lanephase ends, her usefulness falls off. Still good if facing, say, Katarina or Nunu & Willump ult to silence, but not nearly as powerful as she is in lane. Having other characters that remain useful all game long is very important. And yes, Lee Sin is an accomplished solo top and a god tier jungler, ESPECIALLY if you like to counter jungle. His ability to steal buffs right out from under people is just stupid. Good luck to you and your journey through lane domination, if you have any questions feel free to PM me or add me in game.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Stixxzadinia
<Member>
Stixxzadinia's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2012 4:56am | Report
Thanks for the tips. I've been building Maokai with the following items:
Shurelya's Battlesong (I stick with my Philosoper's stone and Heart of Gold till I finish building Treads, Aegis, and Heart)
Randuin's Omen
Mercury's Treads
Abyssal Mask
Aegis of the Legion
Frozen Heart (I replace this with Force of Nature when against AP heavy teams)

One thing is for sure, I'm switching Soraka out for Maokai as my "main". Hahaha!
I find "comparing epeen" trivial, so I play support.
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2012 8:04pm | Report
Its a good "traditional" support item list, and works well enough. However if you go this rout, you are likely missing what makes mao a formidable support, his damage. If it works for you, great, if not, try my build out. You will deal more damage in lane and likely get more kills. It certainly makes your ADC safer if both your enemies are at half health b/c ur saplings keep raping them.

Anyway, glad i made another Maokai convert. He is an amazing champion, and one that is underplayed way too much.
LiskaLol
<Member>
LiskaLol's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 4:04am | Report
I am in the same situation, good as Soraka support and bad with melee champions.
I can just share what champions I take myself for other roles, maybe they will suit you too as you have similar inclinations.

Top: Teemo for ranged (easy farm, nice harassing, good escape) or Udyr for melee (really much dagame from Q and nice sustain, though my last time top Udyr was fail :(

Mid: Annie (she has stun and TONS of DAMAGE :D), Orianna - this is a true supportive midder (shield, slow, easy farm)

AD Carry: Ashe (not easy to master but she is very simple and user-friendly :)
Jungler: Again Udyr
Ayak22
<Member>
Ayak22's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2012 10:44am | Report
I know you're already playing someone else but something I found really helpful was to make a second account. I've been playing on a new profile where I've been steadily levelling, and I found it really easy to get in to the swing of things. For me, Morgana was a good pick as well as trying out different roles. Really helpful when you're stuck at level 30 or so as a support. For me it's been:
Top: Dr Mundo or Lee Sin
Mid: Morgana
Bot: Ashe
Most days you'll find me playing support with a loss streak. Some days you'll find me playing support and actually winning. Occasionally, you won't find me playing support at all.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide