Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Riven Theorycrafting

Creator: Skrallz September 10, 2011 2:26pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Skrallz
<Member>
Skrallz's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 2:26pm | Report
Since we already know that she is ad,combo-based,mobile and we also know her spells, I figured why not get a headstart on the theorycrafting for her, so i'm just making this post right now, wich will be uptaded with champion spotlights and my ideal build for her

Runic Blade(Passive) - Riven's abilities charge her blade, causing her to do bonus damage on her next autoattack. Riven can store up to 3 charges, but only expends one at a time.

Broken Wings(Q) - Riven steps forward and lashes out in a series of powerful sword slashes. This ability can be reactivated up to 3 times in a short period.

1st Use - Deals damage to a small area in front of her.

2nd Use - Deals damage to a small area in front of her.

3rd Use - Jumps into the air and slams downward, causing a larger impact nova that deals damage and knocks nearby enemies back

Ki Shout(W) - Riven damages and stuns nearby enemies.

Valor(E) - Riven dashes forward and gains a shield for a short duration.

Blade of the Exile(R/Ultimate) - Riven's sword reforms, giving her a percentage multiplier on her total attack damage, extended range on her damaging abilities and basic attacks and the ability to use Wind Slash once.

Wind Slash(R/Second Ultimate?) - While Blade of the Exile is active, Riven can reactivate the ability to emit a large shockwave that deals damage to all units hit based on their missing life.

What I would say are useful combo's :

Initiation - E->R->W->Q(3)->R
Burst - R->W->Q(3)->R
Constant Damage - R->W->AA->Q(3)->AA->R
CC - W->Q(3)
Chase - E->W->Q(3)
Escape - W->E->W->E
1v1 - R->W->Q(3)->E->AA->R

<3 Xiaowiriamu
Thanks for the sigs <3
Quoted:
‎"School is like a *****, it's long and hard unless your asian" - Elementz

Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 2:44pm | Report
Any reason why you wouldn't open with R? You can easily get 6 more key presses off in 15 seconds and, it will increase your damage output substantially.
Skrallz
<Member>
Skrallz's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 3:30pm | Report
When you initiate you try to do it rapidly, but I also had no idea how long the timer was for the ultimate ...

Going out for dinner with family friends, when I'm back or tommorow going to add/remove things according to following posts

<3 Xiaowiriamu
Thanks for the sigs <3
Quoted:
‎"School is like a *****, it's long and hard unless your asian" - Elementz

JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 5:52pm | Report
Riven has 10% lower base AD and base-scaling then your average champion.
She also has no AP ratios, and does not use mana.

So, before anyone mentions it. No, Sheen is not going to be an item you want to rush.

The Brutalizer is definitely an item you want however. Youmuu's Ghostblade has all sorts of stats that she'll want.

Phage might be good, but Trinity Force won't be a core item. Just a good buy in mid/late game. The slow-procs and 15 MS shouldn't be ignored.
I'm not too sure about Frozen Mallet but it'd definitely be nice to have the extra health.

She was made in mind that you want to buy tons of AD, as much as possible without hurting your survivability.

So, B. F. Sword will also be core. Infinity Edge might be good, but I'm not sure how well she'll make use of crit-chance. Bloodthirster is definitely something to look at, but I know some people think it's bad simply because of its passive and its cost-effectiveness. :P

Black Cleaver is looking the best right now, but you'll have to be really keen on using those passive auto-attack procs while spamming your skills to make full use of it.
Riven's likely to deal 100% physical damage, just like Talon, so armor-reduction is very abuse-worthy.

If Cleaver isn't what you'll buy, you'll definitely want Last Whisper at some point in all your builds.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 6:02pm | Report
As for combos, she's made to have a lot of options.

Her Q dashes in theory, move about 200~250 distance, while her shield-dash moves about 325 distance.
You can't get very far with each one, so it's all about positioning.

For escapes, you want to abuse your Q3 knock-back and W-stun to disrupt enemies to give yourself openings to run.

For initiation, it reeeeeally depends on your positioning. *below: AA=auto-attack
Most full combo chain is Q -> R > Q -> W -> AA + AA + AA -> E -> AA -> Q (disrupt) -> AA (Activate R when they appear to be low health)

Her passive stacks up to 3 times, so truly utilizing her abilities to the fullest will lead to a lengthy fighter style chain of DPS.

@Lugignaf:

Opening with R is bad, because the enemy might just run away before you can commit.

It's definitely best saved for just after initiation, so that you're sure the fight will be to-the-death.
It's also an executioner style ability. You WANT to save it for when enemies are low-health so you can do as much damage as possible.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 6:03pm | Report
JunSupport wrote:

So, before anyone mentions it. No, Sheen is not going to be an item you want to rush.

That alone doesn't make Sheen bad.

Irelia really doesn't care about her mana (and essentially has unlimited mana if you play properly) and her AP ratios are like Pantheon's, they're there, but they do pretty much nothing. Sheen should still always be rushed on her.

Lee Sin and Udyr also greatly benefit from a Sheen rush, to name some more. The latter does have mana, but honestly - he doesn't use that much of it.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 6:07pm | Report
@Xenasis:

Having no AP ratios skill means you're wasting money on something that gives you absolutely no benefit. With champions like Pantheon and Irelia, at least you HAVE AP ratios to feel like you're not wasting gold. Even, Yorick has AP ratios with this in mind, relative to his spammy abilities.

Completely gaining nothing from multiple stats makes the purchase more and more questionable.

Also...

JunSupport wrote:
Riven has 10% lower base AD and base-scaling then your average champion.

I stated this first because it's most important.

Sheen scales off base-damage. A subpar base means Riven will get pretty much nothing for 1260 gold.

So, again, Sheen bad.
This was a SPECIFIC part of the intentions of (Riven's Designer) Xypherous while choosing her base-stats, ratios, and resource.

If you want Trinity Force, a good start would be Phage, with Zeal somewhere down the line, and ignoring Sheen as much as virtually possible.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 6:21pm | Report
I distinctly meant latter, I said "The latter does have mana", which Udyr does.

"Anyways, having no AP ratios skill means you're wasting money on something that gives you absolutely no benefit."
You don't buy something with no benefit. It has the incredible effect that makes Sheen such a ridiculously strong item...

The "feel" doesn't matter. It's a very strong item, even if it doesn't feel that way.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 6:23pm | Report
-re-reads-...

-facepalm- I just woke up, we're just gonna sweep that under the rug. yup yup.

You're still ignoring Riven's low base AD, which Irelia and Udyr have high points in specifically because they rely on auto-attacking.
WuKong has an even stronger base-AD, which is why Sheen is sooo good.

It's not just about "feel," you're wasting A TON of stats for an item that gives very little to your champions.

Riven also has her own Sheen-proc. Her passive scales off bonus-AD (I think it's a 0.5 ratio, which is ridiculous for a passive) AND stacks up to 3 times.
It's more optimal to build a Brutalizer and B.F. Sword so your passive hits like a brick.

Sheen is pretty much obsolete with this in mind.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 6:29pm | Report
That was just from the paragraph -
"Riven has 10% lower base AD and base-scaling then your average champion.

So, before anyone mentions it. No, Sheen is not going to be an item you want to rush."

Just because she has no AP ratios, no mana, and only 10% less than average AD, it could still be an extremely potent item. It all depends on her cooldowns, etc. Where exactly are you getting these numbers from, anyway, she's not released yet and the LoL website doesn't say.

We've not even seen her base cooldowns yet - so I wouldn't throw it off just yet.

Edit:
Oh, and having "Her own Sheen proc" really doesn't matter. That's like arguing Caitlyn has her own "IE Boost" on her passive so she doesn't need it.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide