Lux Build Guide by Combats
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
Hello There! My name is Combats and this is my first build ever! I have worked very hard to make this Lux guide and I did the best I could to make it as interesting as possible. Also comment below on what you think and feel free to give me some feedback to help me improve this guide. Thank you! ;D
In my opinion, Lux is a very fun champion to play! She is my favorite character to play and I hope you guys like her too.
Pros / Cons
- Great Range
- Great Burst
- Tons of Ability Power Late game
- Short cool down for laser
- Great Carry if played right
- Good Mobility
- All Skill Shots
- High Cool downs
- Very Squishy
- Mana cost
- Takes time to learn to dodge
- Takes time to learn how to aim with Finales Funkeln
- Needs Blue Golem buff
|spaaaaaaaace||Born to the prestigious Crownguards, the paragon family of Demacian service, Luxanna was destined for greatness. She grew up as the family's only daughter, and she immediately took to the advanced education and lavish parties required of families as high profile as the Crownguards. As Lux matured, it became clear that she was extraordinarily gifted. She could play tricks that made people believe they had seen things that did not actually exist. She could also hide in plain sight. Somehow, she was able to reverse engineer arcane magical spells after seeing them cast only once. She was hailed as a prodigy, drawing the affections of the Demacian government, military, and citizens alike.
As one of the youngest women to be tested by the College of Magic, she was discovered to possess a unique command over the powers of light. The young Lux viewed this as a great gift, something for her to embrace and use in the name of good. Realizing her unique skills, the Demacian military recruited and trained her in covert operations. She quickly became renowned for her daring achievements; the most dangerous of which found her deep in the chambers of the Noxian High Command. She extracted valuable inside information about the Noxus-Ionian conflict, earning her great favor with Demacians and Ionians alike. However, reconnaissance and surveillance was not for her. A light of her people, Lux's true calling was the League of Legends, where she could follow in her brother's footsteps and unleash her gifts as an inspiration for all of Demacia.
''Her guiding light makes enemies weary, but they should worry most when the light fades.''
-- Garen, The Might of Demacia
- Regrowth Pendant helps Lux stay in lane longer and gives her more survivability during early game laning and the Mana Potion will keep you in shape to harass longer and farm with your abilities longer. (Note: Even if your low u can still stay, you'd be surprised on how fast it regenerates you HP)
- Once you farmed enough gold, get Philosopher's stone then your mana cost won't be as much as a problem. Additionally you earn +5 GOLD each 10 seconds!
- Fiendish Codex: This items gives you even more mana regeneration which will definitively help your mana problems. This item will be upgraded to Morello's Evil Tome!
- Rush Mejai's Soulstealer if you are doing well in your game. Try to get kills or assists by ganking top or bottom. (Optional Item)
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter for more survivability and in addition, more Ability Power and gives you the ability to slow the enemy.
- Sheen: This is for more early Burst and Mana to destroy your enemy especially with this item's unique passive!
- Needlessly Large Rod: If your doing good then you can skip Sheen and go straight for this which will build into Rabadon's Deathcap.
- Get Sorcerer's Shoes to counter against Magic Resist.
- Get Mercury's Treads if they have lots of cc and if they have lots of AP champions.
- Get Ionian Boots of Lucidity if you just want reduced cool downs.
- Get Rabadon's Deathcap, this item is very good to have because it has a great amount of Ability Power to make Lux even stronger.
- Also Morello's Evil Tome for Ability Power, Mana Regeneration, and Cool down Reduction.
(Note: SPAM YOUR LASER, It has a low cool down for a reason.)
- Get Lich Bane for more mana and ability power.
- Get Void Staff to counter Magic resist.
Damage and Defense
- Get Zhonya's Hourglass for survivability and more ability power.
- Get Rylai's Crystal Scepter for more Health, Ability Power, and Slows.
- Get Abyssal Scepter for some Ability Power and Magic Resist for yourself and for you allies.
- Get Archangel's Staff for +45 ability power and mana and the bonus ability power from this special passive.
- Get Banshee's Veil for more HP + MP and Magic Resist.
- Get Guardian Angel as your final item especially if you got Mejai's Soulstealer to keep you stacks! Also helpful because the armor, magic resist, and the revival saves you if you are out of position or overextend. The revive takes 5min recharge, so if you have enough money you might wanna switch to Zhonya's Hourglass and drag it to slot 1~3 in your inventory to activate the invulnerability passive.
No Rod of Ages?
- The reason why I removed Rod of Ages from the items section is because that I realized that it does have great survivability and gives you ability power but it's too slow to wait for it over time.
- The total price of Rod of Ages is 3035 Gold and on Rabadon's Deathcap is 3600 Gold.
- On Lux, you need ability power as soon as possible so you can be stronger to carry the team!
- You would fall behind on Ability Power and could have already had a Rabadon's Deathcap in place of Rod of Ages and your early burst would be far behind too.
- You can get Rod of Ages if you want to be a support!
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: I get these runes because it helps to fight against people who get Magic Resist.
Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration: I get these runes because Lux burns out of mana rapidly, so philosopher's stone + these runes help you stay in lane longer and do much more harassing to get kills.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power: I get these runes because in late game, Lux will have great burst and a extremely strong Laser.
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: I get these runes on Lux for early burst.
Lux's damaging spells charge the target with energy for 6 seconds. Lux's next attack ignites the energy, dealing 10 + (10 x level) magic damage to the target.
This is Lux's Passive. Every time a spell contacts an enemy, it leaves a mark of charged rainbow energy! To release this powerful rainbow energy, you must auto-attack the marked target or you may use finales funkeln!
Lux releases a sphere of light that immobilizes and deals 60 / 110 / 160 / 210 / 260 (+70% of ability power) magic damage to up to two enemy units for 2 seconds, dealing 50% effect and damage to the 2nd unit struck.
This is Lux's snare! It can stun up to two enemy units! The second stun does half damage and snare effect. This spell is very useful tool for ganking and rooting enemies.
Lux throws her wand to a target location and back, bending the light around herself and any friendly Champions it touches, protecting them from 60 / 85 / 110 / 135 / 160 (+35% of ability power) damage for 3 seconds.
This is Lux's main support ability. It fires a boomerang type skill shot that gives all allies a damage shield at least two times. It extends to its maximum range and back for the total amount of two shields. No matter what, Lux always receives the damage shield twice. You can refresh the shield faster by running to the direction in which you casted it.
Fires an anomaly of twisted light to an area, which slows nearby enemies by 20 / 24 / 28 / 32 / 36%. Zone lasts 5 seconds. Lux can detonate it to deal 60 / 105 / 150 / 195 / 240 (+60% of ability power) magic damage to enemies in the area of effect.
This is Lux's main utility spell. It is a great tool to harassing enemies. It is really easy to use. All you have to do is to aim behind your enemy and detonate it immediately. This ability doesn't get stronger the longer it's casted. The reason why the zone lasts five seconds is to act as a slow used for escaping or slowing enemies.
After gathering energy, Lux fires a beam of light that deals 300 / 400 / 500 (+75% of ability power) damage to all targets in the area. It ignites and refreshes Lux's Illumination debuff if it hits enemies already afflicted.
This is Lux's popular move, Finales funkeln! It is a laser that charges up and Lux releases the deadly beam of light that is incredibly strong. The shortest cool down on this laser is 24 seconds! (AHEM Morello's Evil Tome.) :)
Level 1: Light Binding: I get Light Binding at level 1 because it's better for ganks, harassing the enemy, and leashing the jungle than Lucent Singularity at level 1.
Lucent Singularity: Very useful tool for slowing, harassing enemies, great utility spell to collect gold, and has great range.
Light Binding: I max this Second because it provides more BURST in your Combo Sequence and a suitable way for efficient carrying!
Prismatic Barrier: I max this last because I leave this shield at level 1 and still works pretty good for keeping me and my allies alive unless anyone ever overextends.
Finales Funkeln: This is the strongest skill on Lux which shoots a powerful long ranged beam of light so I take it immediately whenever I can at level 6, 11, and 16.
Your combo involves your passive, Illumination.
Illumination = Auto attack
Ignite is Optional.
(NOTE: Finales Funkeln detonates the passive, Illumination and refreshes it too!)
Level 1-5 Standard Combo
3. Lucent Singularity (Detonate)
5. Ignite (Note: When enemy champion is low.)
Full Blast Combo
2. Light Binding
5. Finales Funkeln
6. Lucent Singularity (Detonate when Finales Funkeln is channeling.)
Best Lich Bane Combo
3. Lucent Singularity (Detonate)
6. Finales Funkeln
- Flash:I get Flash to escape from dangerous situations, get in to position in team fights, and sometimes I use Flash to blink towards someone to secure a kill or even someone who Ghosts/ Flashes away.
- Ignite:I get Ignite because it helps me get kills or assists, for Mejai's Soulstealer. Ignite helps me get some kills on finales funkeln. Early game, if someone is low enough like at 4 health bars, use ignite on them and immediately after use finales funkeln to get a kill. May need an Illumination.
- Clairvoyance: This can help sight enemies if they are at baron or dragon and you can try to steal it with finales funkeln or to pick up kills!
- Clarity: I don't recommend Clarity for this build because you already getting mana regeneration items, but if you just want to have it, go for it. Also in place of Clarity you can still get Blue Golem Buff!
- Ghost: You can use Ghost if you want more speed to secure kills or to from perilous situations to escape.
- Teleport: You can get this spell if you want to leave your lane, heal, shop, and come back to your lane in a blink of an eye! Also, very useful to escape, balance minion waves, or participate in team fights!
- Play safe and farm.
- Spam Finales Funkeln
- You can walk halfway through the river to use your laser to pick up kills/assists
- When running away, use Prismatic Barrier in front of the direction your running so it refreshes faster.
- When being chased just keep using Light Binding to snare them and save a bit more time and you can use your Lucent Singularity to slow them down.
- You can use Lucent Singularity to give you sight inside bushes.
- Take advantage of Lux's Range!
- Illumination can be seen as a rainbow mark on the head of you target. Illumination marks a target when one of your abilities collides with the target.
- Try to get middle so you can get finales funkeln faster and carry more efficiently.
- Get blue buff often.
- LEARN TO WARD!
- Watch minimap.
1. The red circles is the most important to ward because it gives you sight to see if the enemy team is at baron nasher or dragon. I recommend using Vision Wards because they can destroy the sight wards that your enemy may place down.
2. The yellow circles are important to guard your own jungle's Blue Golem Buff and your Red Lizard Buff!
3. The orange circles let you spy on your enemy team's red and blue buff.
4. The blue circles are important for protection in your lane, prevents you from getting ganked from other laners / junglers.
- Click on the baron's hp to see how much is left.
- Hover over your Finales Funkeln and see how much damage it does.
- Laser around 1400-1700 HP.
- If at the back of Baron Nasher, you can set down Lucent Singularity and detonate it at the same time as Finales Funkeln for more efficient stealing and damage.
- Be sure to spam Finales Funkeln to severely damage all of them.
- Position yourself in the back of your team.
- Do not go in the front.
- Snare them for your team with Light Binding.
- If your dying, you can use Zhonya's Hourglass, if you bought it, to delay time for you cool downs and if you're getting focused.
September 9, 2011 - Started this build. Worked on Masteries, Runes, Items, Ability Sequence, Summoner spells, and Introduction.
September 10, 2011 - Worked on Sections: Lux's story, Items, Runes, Masteries, Abilities, Abilities Sequence, and Combo Sequence.
September 11, 2011(R.I.P. 9/11 Victims) - Updated Summoner spells, combo sequence, and added Pro/Cons, Team fights, Conclusion, Updates, and Games.
Made Mejai's Soulstealer Optional and added Rylai's Crystal Scepter or Rod of Ages as another option. Added Champion Spotlight for Lux. Added an Illumination tip. Added middle tip. Changed back to original build order because I find it easier.
September 12, 2011 - Added two new tips!
September 13, 2011 - Added two more tips. Moved Pro/Cons section higher. Edited the details to some of summoner spells section. Updated and Organized the Items section. Edited my Introduction Section.
September 15, 2011 - Change order of Items
September 17, 2011 - Changed the order of the Items section. Got rid of exhaust and cleanse in the optional summoner spells section. Organized Team fights. Added color to introduction and made it sound more appealing.
September 18, 2011 - Added a Con.
September 26, 2011 - Updated masteries, changed mastery pictures, changed some team fight tips, and added more color to team fights.
September 28, 2011 - Added another detail on Philosopher's Stone in the Items section. Added additional Combo Sequences for Lux.
September 29, 2011 - Added the Redmercy's Lux tutorial chapter. Used Spelling & Grammar check and found a numerous amount of errors. [Spelling & Grammar check complete!] Made the combo sequence more specific! Added another column to ability sequence and fixed error in the sequence. Added a note in ability sequence. Changed the main ability sequence.
October 02, 2011 - Removed Rod of Ages and added Sheen in optional items and added the "Where's Rod of Ages section."
October 05, 2011(R.I.P. Steve Jobs ;() - Edited/Organized Sections: Champion spotlight, Ability Sequence, Combo Sequence, Summoner Spells, and Redmercy's Lux Tutorial.
October 09, 2011 - Added Zoning Tutorial.
October 10, 2011 - Changed main item order. Added Archangels staff to items.
October 11, 2011 - Added colorful rainbow lines. (Sorry if it hurts your eyes.) Added mastery chart. Added ability sequence chart. Added runes chart. Added Items chart. Added Warding section. Added new pictures!
October 12, 2011 - Added Stealing Baron Section. (Chapter 15) Added some more videos to Chapter 15. Added 2nd Build order.
October 13, 2011 - Merged the Why rod of ages and items section together and merged Red Mercy's tutorial and Shurelia's tutorial together.
November 6, 2011 - Changed the Runes, Changed main items, and Edited items section.
November 16, 2011 - Updated the NEW masteries and summoner spells for Season 2! More tips on stealing Baron.
January 28, 2012 - Updated guide, New Masteries, New Builds, New Explanations!
If you're not doing well at the start then try again.
Every character takes a while to learn.