Malzahar Build Guide by Nilth
Not Updated For Current Season
Agressive Situational Items
Defensive Situational Items
Not Updated For Current Season
Welcome to my very first guide on MobaFire!
My name is Nilth and I'll explain you how to play my favorite champion Malzahar. I wrote this guide because in my opinion he's not played often enough.
With Nether Grasp and Null Zone Malzahar can easily win 1v1-fights. Malzahar's Malefic Visions make it very easy to farm minions . So he is predestined for midlaning.
Please read the whole guide before judging or complaining.
Positive and/or productive critic would be nice since this is my first guide. :)
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
+ Good and easy farming with Malefic Visions
+ Farming without being on lane
+ High burst with Nether Grasp and Null Zone
+ Call of the Void as mute with high damageoutput
+ Easy "towerdiving" with his Summon Voidling and his
+ Easy to play if you know how!
- No built-in escape spell
- No built-in gapcloser
- Pretty low damage output if underfarmed
- Very susceptible for disables like Sion's Cryptic Gaze or
21/0/9 are the standart AP-carry masteries I think I dont really have to explain them.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: I use them to get an early AP advantage.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: These are the standardrunes for a caster.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power: Why these and not the flat ones? That's easy because you get more AP from the per level runes and this is our target to get much AP as possible!
- Greater Seal of Scaling Ability Power: Same as the Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power.
Now I'll show you the most viable summoner spells.
Flash: Well it's the most used and usefull summoner spell in the game. You can use it to engage in the laningphase against your opponent and kill him with your Nether Grasp and Null Zone or to escape throough walls.
Ignite: This is a mostly self-explaining skill. Ignite deals 70-410 true damage (depending on champion level) over 5 seconds and reduces healing effects on the target for the duration.
Teleport: This is really self-explaining again. Teleport can teleport you in 2 seconds to allied tower, wards or minions . With Teleport you will always be faster (!) in lane then your opponent except there is this pretty annoying Shen or way more annoying is Pantheon. Works also with Annie's Summon: Tibbers or Teemo's Noxious Trap. This is very nice if you prefer ganking other lanes. Especially if you have mates at bot- or toplane.
- Summon Voidling: Your voidling is unique in the league. You will get it with every 4th casted spell. So spam your spells! The Tear of the Goddess will help you at spamming. The voidling lasts for 21 seconds and has 3 stances:
- 1. Stance: It starts with 200 (+ 50/level) health and 20 (+ 5/level) AD.
- 2. Stance: After 7 seconds it gets Grow and gains 50% AD and Amor.
- 3. Stance: After 14 seconds it gets into Frenzy and gains 100% attackspeed.
- Kill enemies under their own tower. To controll it you have to cast Malefic Visions on your target or attack it with autoattacks.
- Call of the Void (Q): Malzahar opens two portals to the void. After a short second delay, they fire projectiles which deal 80 / 135 / 190 / 245 / 300 (+80% of ability power) magic damage and silence champions for 1.4 / 1.8 / 2.2 / 2.6 / 3 seconds.
It also gives you vision within the castarea!
- Null Zone (W): Malzahar creates a zone of negative energy for 5 seconds. The zone deals 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 % (+1% per 100 ability power) of the target's max health as magic damage each second (damage to monsters is capped).
Null Zone's damage starts directly after casting it so you can kill a low-life enemy in a second just by casting it underneath him.
- Malefic Visions (E): Malzahar infects his target's mind, dealing 80 / 140 / 200 / 260 / 320 (+80% of ability power) magic damage over 4 seconds. If the target dies during this time, the visions pass to a nearby enemy and Malzahar gains 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26 mana. Malzahar's Voidlings are attracted to affected units.
Not like your Null Zone the damage of Malefic Visions starts after 1 second so you can kill enemies underneath their tower and you wont get the tower agro.
- Nether Grasp (R): Malzahar grips his target in an engulfing void of energy to suppress the target (stuns and disables summoner spells), dealing 250 / 400 / 550 (+130% of ability power) magic damage over 2.5 seconds. The damage is applied in ticks, every half second. Voidlings attack the target of Nether Grasp, regardless of other conditions.
This is a powerfull 1v1-skill and in combination with your Null Zone you will nearly kill any kind of champion except from those who are fed or those who are faster than your are.
Ability Sequence Order
So, why don't start with Boots of Speed and 3x Health Potion. In my opinion it's pretty obvious. Since it gives you AP, HP, Manaregeneration and additional 5 mana per kill wich means even if you drop to ~10 mana you can get it back just by farming
: Try get it fast as possible! So you can get your stacks as fast as possible.
: These shoes are good because they help your Malefic Visions at lasthitting.
- Liandra's Torment: It gives you additional MR pen, decent HP, and a passive wich let's you deal even more damage!
: 30% Bonus AP from your normal AP. Well this item is like the Infinity Edge for AD-Carries everyone wants it.
: Well you get more HP so you have more survivability. You also get a very nice slow and with your Null Zone or your Malefic Visions you should get the most enemies or stop them chasing you. And don't forget your Liandra's Torment will do twice the damage!
: Since we have a Tear of the Goddess it would be stupid if won't buy this item. And it maximizes your AP so we want it way more!
: Very cool active wich makes you for 2 seconds untargetable wich means you can easy survive an Ignite and it gives you much AP plus some decent armor.
- : Get the following elixirs after completing your equipment. In order: Elixir of Brilliance > Elixir of Fortitude > Oracle's Elixir.
Now there is the question what shall I do if the enemy stacks magic resistance or he is just focusing you or he is a Malzahar-counter like LeBlanc, Kassadin or even Talon.
Well here are my tips and tricks!
Against MR stacking enemies
: The Void Staff is just awesome to kill those MR stacking champions like Galio.
: Well this item is very nice if you play against a Diana or against Fizz. Both have to be near to you and they do magical damage. So why shouldn't we get an item wich increase our MR, AP and an add aura wich decreases their MR?
Against this annoying player who always focus you
Well, first thing is the right positioning. I'll explain it in the teamfightsection.
: You are 2 seconds untargetable and immortal but you cant move. It gives you a decent amount of amor wich is always good vs AD-carries or assasins and it gives you 120 AP wich is the 2nd most amount of AP in the game!
Versus AP carries I would recommend stacking or atleast buying one MR item(s) for example Banshee's Veil and against AD carries Zhonya's Hourglass or even a Thornmail but this shouldn't be your first choice.
Against this annoying counterchampion
The word "counterchamp" is in my opinion really stupid. The champion can't kill you it's always about the skilllevel of the person wich is playing this "counterchamp"! Try to play save as possible and don't forget to farm. I'll explain in the next section how to farm if you cant farm that easy.
Well farming with Malzahar is very easy. Just cast Malefic Visions on the enemy
and keep lasthitting with your autoattack. Kill Canonminions fast as possible with Malefic Vision, Call of the Void and autoattacks because in early they can survive a single Malefic Visions.
Farming with Malzahar is very save too. First wait until your opponent pushed his minions to your tower. Make sure your next spell will trigger your Summon Voidling! Then cast Malefic Visions on a minion and your Summon Voidling spawns, it will kill the minions for you while you can stay back at your tower. That's the savemode! I don't want to encourage you to do just tower hugging. Would be very boring, or? Go for the wraiths as often as you can to get superfeed but always ask your jungler before killing the wraith camp! Maybe he needs them because he is underfarmed or underleveled.
You are a mage so act like one. Wait for your tank to engage! Then focus the enemy AD or AP carry. Focus the most dangerous enemy if you can! And always remember don't overextend since you have no escape spells except Flash!
If you have unanswered questions pn me or write it down in the comments.
Positive and/or producitve critic would be nice since this is my first guide.
I know i wrote it twice but the guide is just awesome to learn how to make a guide.
So thank you jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.