Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Your guides are ****.

Creator: throatslasher August 31, 2012 12:37pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

233 posts - page 10 of 24
EvilDice
<Shoutcaster>
EvilDice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 9:32pm | Report
yep, the voting system is awful. ive contributed guides to this site because i like the community and feel the site deserves better guides, but the fact of the matter is the general userbase seems to not WANT these guides. if your guide isn't super cute and somewhat "different" then it's not going to get a high grade on mobafire. there's no point for me to write a guide on here when i can go get one featured on solomid.

solomid is everyone's go-to site for guides (everyone who actually wants to know proper builds, runes, etc) and that isn't gonna change. lolpro tried to dethrone it, didn't work. mobafire has too bad of a rep now to dethrone it, even if they changed to solomid's system.

but you know what? that's fine. mobafire is a business and they've hit their target audience square in the head and have expanded their network to pretty much every MOBA out there right now. they know they are never going to monopolize guides like solomid but that's fine with them.

mobafire does have a decent amount of plat players and that's because we like the community and like to help out at times. never writing a guide on this site again but i will continue to post on the forums because i like to! it's a good, small community where you feel like you know most people (well i know maybe like 25% now, im old :() and that's kinda nice.

tldr; they are two different sites with two different target audiences. it's not a crime.

Thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the sig!

twitch.tv/dicetherice - @dicetherice
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 9:38pm | Report
actually I prefer LoLPro when I need to check something, like counters. easier interface

the guide interface and bbcode on this site is much better than anywhere else, now we just need the voting system of solomid ><

and it's not so much a different target audience, although that is somewhat true, but at heart this is still a guide site and if half the top guides are **** that's an issue that needs to be resolved and not tossed away.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 9:40pm | Report
BTW TS, there is a quote function so if you wanna quote someone it makes it a bit clearer...took me like a minute before I realized you were quoting somebody haha

either click the "quote" button on top of someone's name, or use [quote=name]paste quote[/quote]

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 9:41pm | Report
"I proposed this multiple times, but I think the best system is solomid's. Score isn't shown at the outset, so each guide has an equal chance of being clicked on"

Incorrect. Solomid goes off of thumbs ups and thumbs down, keeping a tally next to the guide name. So, if I see a tryndamere guide with 1 thumbs up and 15 thumbs down, I'll ignore it. I usually will click on it because i like to see the occasional train wrecks. But look here:

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?champ=malzahar&sort=0&display=0&x=122&y=17

These are the malzahar guides. If someone wants to learn a champ, they will likely be looking at a screen like this. At the top, the featured and approved. Cream of the crop. ANYONE CAN WRITE AN APPROVED GUIDE! EVEN UNRANKED PEOPLE! All you have to do is make a well-reasoned, strong argument that's backed up with evidence and careful reasoning. It can be outside the meta. I think there's an approved jungle gragas guide. It doesn't matter. Now, at the very top, the featured guides, from the 2.1k+ crowd. These guides are good, but sometimes lack content. And even below that, are the normal guides. Hmmm. 0 thumbs up 3 thumbs down? skip it. Oh look, one is 6+ and 2-? that might be worth checking out. "Victory through space aids?" hey that one sounds funny! I think i'll check that one out too!

As you can see, it's laid out in a VERY EASY TO READ and VERY EASY TO UNDERSTAND manner. When I was surfing your guides, my brain was just overwhelmed with colors, featured/hottest? confusing. Percentages? ugh. I'm just saying this as a 'mobafire newbie.' Guide surfing is very difficult on your website. And given the fact that 95+% of the guides on this site are poor, it's just, I don't know. A mess.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 9:47pm | Report
maybe he has a point and many of you have been around to see if the voting system is apropriate or not, but that is no way of talking about anything if you want to be taken seriously, imo.

also, simply saying guides are s*** doesnt cut it, as there are decent guides around and the permanent comunity is very good and knowledgeable.
Maybe, due to anyone being able to create one comes at the cost of a lot of rubbish, so the voting system has to be very strict? as in, only certain comunity players may vote, even though everyone can comment?

anyway, it's easy for anyone to become anyone else on the internet, especially on forums, so i'm still not sure what the thread owner wants with this.

"I proposed this multiple times, but I think the best system is solomid's. Score isn't shown at the outset, so each guide has an equal chance of being clicked on"

Incorrect. Solomid goes off of thumbs ups and thumbs down, keeping a tally next to the guide name. So, if I see a tryndamere guide with 1 thumbs up and 15 thumbs down, I'll ignore it. I usually will click on it because i like to see the occasional train wrecks. But look here:

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?champ=malzahar&sort=0&display=0&x=122&y=17

These are the malzahar guides. If someone wants to learn a champ, they will likely be looking at a screen like this. At the top, the featured and approved. Cream of the crop. ANYONE CAN WRITE AN APPROVED GUIDE! EVEN UNRANKED PEOPLE! All you have to do is make a well-reasoned, strong argument that's backed up with evidence and careful reasoning. It can be outside the meta. I think there's an approved jungle gragas guide. It doesn't matter. Now, at the very top, the featured guides, from the 2.1k+ crowd. These guides are good, but sometimes lack content. And even below that, are the normal guides. Hmmm. 0 thumbs up 3 thumbs down? skip it. Oh look, one is 6+ and 2-? that might be worth checking out. "Victory through space aids?" hey that one sounds funny! I think i'll check that one out too!

As you can see, it's laid out in a VERY EASY TO READ and VERY EASY TO UNDERSTAND manner. When I was surfing your guides, my brain was just overwhelmed with colors, featured/hottest? confusing. Percentages? ugh. I'm just saying this as a 'mobafire newbie.' Guide surfing is very difficult on your website. And given the fact that 95+% of the guides on this site are poor, it's just, I don't know. A mess.

actually, I don't see much difference in quality of the guides, LOL.
maybe it's me, but i feel fine with the precentage, since you can see the number of votas as well.
also, the featured malz guide hasn't been updated for more than a year and has barely information at all?

i think you're confusing me.... o.0

Sig made by elenah
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 9:48pm | Report
sorry, what I meant was they aren't organized by ups and downs but age

but yea I forgot they show rating now on the search list, they used to not

Also, if you look, you'd be surprised how many amazing guides there are here -- you just have to look a bit for them ><

A lot of the guides from vets and some others are really good.

In case you didn't know, to see guides by score, just search the champion and then set parameter to score (or quality on dotafire and the other sites); there are quite a bit of ****ty top guides, which is my main issue that I was bringing up, but there are a lot of good ones too (or near the top) ;o

and yea, I do like that approve/featured thing and, as I mentioned in the vet thread, I would gladly spend an hour+ sifting through guides a day if it meant this site would improve.

Minho
<Editor>
Minho's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 9:55pm | Report
I like the idea of featured and approved. I'd love to see it implemented, just takes a lot of work to get it up and running.
Sigs by: Xiao, Bree, Nameless, Jeffy, Jai, Hogo, Dreams, Tiny, 'Maw, & Wombo!
♫ 한국어 팝 ♫
♡ 타일러 ♡
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 10:02pm | Report
Vavena wrote:

No it wasn't addressed to you, just saying it as a general thought.

btw
Naive thoughts shouldn't be acknowledge, Moon.. I could only hope to be at a plat lvl someday, yet you take it so lightly.

Of course I take it lightly, I take this game lightly although at times maybe it seems like I don't. I take the entire idea of elo lightly. This game is for fun, none of us are going professional let's just put that out there. So what is elo other than an imaginary number intended to denote skill. What do you get out of it? a pixelated altercation of what your character looks like, ypu thats about it. To me, ranked and elo takes the fun out of the game, people take it so seriously and are so hostile to each other, why would I want to participate in that. I already have limited time between work, friends, school, and other duties, why would I want to put strain on my life for something that won't matter 3-4 years down the road. Let's face it League isn't going to last forever, you may as well enjoy it while it does and I doubt the majority of you play ranked for enjoyment, you probably play so you can say you're better than other people or get that skin at the end of the season
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 10:14pm | Report
Mooninites wrote:

Of course I take it lightly, I take this game lightly although at times maybe it seems like I don't. I take the entire idea of elo lightly. This game is for fun, none of us are going professional let's just put that out there. So what is elo other than an imaginary number intended to denote skill. What do you get out of it? a pixelated altercation of what your character looks like, ypu thats about it. To me, ranked and elo takes the fun out of the game, people take it so seriously and are so hostile to each other, why would I want to participate in that. I already have limited time between work, friends, school, and other duties, why would I want to put strain on my life for something that won't matter 3-4 years down the road. Let's face it League isn't going to last forever, you may as well enjoy it while it does and I doubt the majority of you play ranked for enjoyment, you probably play so you can say you're better than other people or get that skin at the end of the season

Ha. Sour grapes, *****. What you eat this week doesn't matter 3-4 years from now. Why don't you just not eat for a week. You're 1300 elo. it's easy for you to sit down in your hole and throw rocks at those of us that busted our ***es getting out and trying to make a name for ourselves. **** you and everything about you. I put in my time grinding at this game, practicing for hours, just to hold my own at the level I'm at. If that intimidates you, no ****s given. Grats you're casual about league. I'm not, and you can shove your judgemental attitude up your ***.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Vavena
<Member>
Vavena's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 10:41pm | Report
*clap clap*

Also Moon, I don't play just so I can have a pretty colored badge on my profile or to mark myself above others or any of that ****. I wouldn't waste so much of my time on practice just to boost me ego. I want much more then that.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide