Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

What is League worth, anyway?

Creator: DuffTime November 6, 2013 5:28pm
1 2
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 5:28pm | Report
Somebody asked what the point of playing League was when it wouldn't matter in ten years anyway, if she was just going to be stuck in Silver anyway and not have fun playing?

This was my response to her.

"You have accepted the first important step to the equation. By recognizing that you are not the greatest player, you have acknowledged that there is room to improve and room to learn. You also humble yourself and take away the expectations to perform at a high level because really you know you aren't yet.

Now you can start to have fun with it while you learn. You can take your losses for what they are. Learning experiences, opportunities to improve yourself.

And, you can take your wins in that way too, because you will know that you did well, but you could have done better too.

The thing about League is that it has a pretty huge learning curve, so time invested will almost always pay out in Elo gains if you have the right mindset and try to learn and improve.

What does League matter? For myself, it was actually the first thing I was really one of the best at, in the world. It took me almost 3 years to make it to the top tiers of League (I wasn't much of a gamer before hand really.) but I made it and it was a pretty good confidence booster. It also taught me life lessons as funny as that might sound about being a team player. It's not about having a team as good as you, it's about working with whatever team you are given. Those skills actually translated into the workplace and helped me to understand the team dynamic. That is one of the things that allowed me to become a manager at my store working in retail.

TL;DR, League is what you make it to be. It's a video game that you can play to have fun, or a life event that you can take with you in life."
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 5:41pm | Report
the poitn is video games are for to have fun if you aren't having fun then play something else.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
luizdeh
<Member>
luizdeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 7:10pm | Report
caucheka wrote:

the poitn is video games are for to have fun if you aren't having fun then play something else.

Life motto, applicable to everything. Time spent on Earth is too short, do whatever floats your boat.

I've always played games, I just have fun doing it. When it's not, I stop. The problem with LoL is that there are almost endless possibilities of gameplay... so it's gonna take a long time to become bored.
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 7:15pm | Report
I play this game hoping I have fun.

Game after game I get my hopes crushed, but I still queue up for no reason.

I think I'm addicted >___<
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 7:16pm | Report
tehAsian wrote:

I play this game hoping I have fun.

Game after game I get my hopes crushed, but I still queue up for no reason.

I think I'm addicted >___<

oh god this

minus the queueing up part
swankdom
<Member>
swankdom's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 9:42pm | Report
Yeah i try to make sure i'm having fun, if i'm on a losing streak, and the thought of queueing up again makes me sad, then its time to take a break and play a different game
Napoleon D
<Member>
Napoleon D's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 7, 2013 6:48pm | Report
The Fuq you posted this on your blog too.

Im not going to copy pasterino my other comment because its irelevant now.

Dah fuQ you were talking to a girl?
You do know that G.I.R.L means Guy In Real Life?
Quoted:
It's not about having a team as good as you, it's about working with whatever team you are given. Those

Ill try to make use of my dirt house passed on to me by my parents... thanks for the philosophical help.
i need to delete this account
Omnislash GG
<Member>
Omnislash GG's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2013 12:43am | Report
Well really, if you keep thinking about what's going to be important in 10 years, you're going to be left with not a whole lot. Most things you do for fun are just that - for fun. I don't go the movies and say "Well, does this really matter if I'm not going to remember it in 10 years?" Well, yes, it does matter, but for other reasons.
Onoku
<Member>
Onoku's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 9, 2013 6:14pm | Report
Duff... Dem feels.

For me League is something I do when I don't feel like going out (or my wife doesn't) for instance, I was going to do some photography this morning, but my wife said it would rain. It didn't rain, but we weren't prepared to go out... so league it is.
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 9, 2013 6:52pm | Report
Why are you here?

Just going to pop in once a month for some existential nonsense?
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide