Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Help with Galio?

Creator: Jvstm March 5, 2011 10:06pm
20 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
Jvstm
<Member>
Jvstm's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2011 10:06pm | Report
So I've always wanted to play Galio, every now and agin on his (rare) free weeks. I just bought him this afternoon, but I'm having trouble playing him. I'm not sure WHY, but he just seems so lackluster compared to other tanks.

Any advice on how to play him well and build him?

I go 21 Defense, 9 Support with Flash and Teleport usually.
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2011 10:13pm | Report
I'm guessing you're not the oldest of players so here's some general advice:
Build to what the enemy is building. Don't play one build as if it's the cookie cutter you depend on, always be willing to be flexible.

If the enemy team is building AD well get a Sunfire Cape or Randuin's Omen. If they're building AP, Banshee's Veil always works. I would give a defined build if there is such a thing but as you're playing a tank, I can't say that there is.

Remember to work on your skill shotting with resolute smite and righteous gust (also remember that's an escape mechanism). I'd take Clarity/Flash for early game harassment and flash-> R is really strong.

I'd max out resolute smite first, then righteous gust, then bulwark getting your R every time you can.

Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2011 10:17pm | Report
I fancy myself a decent Galio player. The thing about him is he's hard to main tank with since his only very tanky spell is his ult. Otherwise you will have trouble getting people to focus you. I try to get a mix of MR and some AP (abyssal scepter is one of my fav items on him) along with some armor of course ( Zhonya's Hourglass would be good for him). Having some AP will at least make you more of a threat damage-wise, and make people have to focus you when you're up in their faces.

I usually go Q E Q W Q R Q W Q W etc... maxing E last.

If you want to add me I will see if I can help a little. In-game name is Mowen.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Jvstm
<Member>
Jvstm's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2011 10:35pm | Report
I think I will
As for me not being the oldest of players, I have some 700 games under my belt with a NEAR 50% win ratio (Something like 12 under 50%), so I know the game fairly well. I always build my tanks according to the other team. I guess my problem is I just haven't played Galio enough (less then ten games in all with him) to really understand him.

Mowen, you're US Server?
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2011 11:32pm | Report
In my eyes Galio is a weak tank, his R is indeed a powerful skill, and his W is very useful but he lacks quite alot late game...

I prefer to build him with AP and some armor, this will cause people to actually be worried of my ult and my other skills also.

I build him- Catalyst - Sorc's - RoA - Hourglass - Frozen heart - Archangel

Frozen heart has beautiful synergy with galio, especially when you ult :D... also the hourglass can allow you to take quite alot of damage
Jvstm
<Member>
Jvstm's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2011 11:44pm | Report
If I ult, then pop Hourglass, will they stay taunted or will it cancel it out?
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2011 11:46pm | Report
Jvstm wrote:

If I ult, then pop Hourglass, will they stay taunted or will it cancel it out?

It's a channel so I think it cancels out.

Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2011 11:57pm | Report
no it sadly cancels out, but its still a very valid item considering that you can LEERRRROOY JENKINS in, pop the glass, when the enemies go spread out and stop targetting you like ******s, lul ult.
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2011 12:37am | Report
I'm US yes. Though I'd like to point out I have played a lot less games than you, and have only played Galio in normal games, if that matters to you. :P

I'm a DotA vet though!!! /flex
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Jet
<Member>
Jet's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2011 4:06am | Report
galio shouldn't be played as a tank

bulky ap offtank

when he was viable as a tank, he was overpowered, so riot changed his role to make him more of a solid AP nuker with strong survivability, so his role is more similar to Swain, except swain is the Anti-Melee mage and Galio is the Anti-Burst mage
Jet has been banned for trolling and blatant racism.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide