Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Doran's Shield start on a support?

Creator: Emi January 30, 2014 10:41am
Emi
<Fabulous>
Emi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2014 10:41am | Report
So I've begun testing out this start as a support, and I've found it to be really useful. The extra health regen is really good for supports who don't have an in built heal (Lulu, Thresh, Zyra, etc) and tend to be weak against champions who can poke a lot with their auto attacks. The extra health is also pretty useful when going into all in trades. Of course, I usually get a gold item (most often Ancient Coin) if I have enough gold.

So the point of this thread is: Do you think the Doran's Shield start is viable? Yes or no, could you explain your reasoning?
Thanks to XeresAce for the sig!
NateKiller
<Member>
NateKiller's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2014 10:53am | Report
Yes, or at least for aggressive supports like Leona that need the health to win fights.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2014 10:57am | Report
It's not just viable, it's becoming pretty standard. Most supports are doing it the majority of the time. Shield has been broken for a while.

You already explained the reasons why yourself. :P
Emi
<Fabulous>
Emi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2014 11:07am | Report
NateKiller wrote:

Yes, or at least for aggressive supports like Leona that need the health to win fights.

True, and I feel like Leona is one support who's really vulnerable to autoattacks because of the fact that she's melee.

Luther3000 wrote:

It's not just viable, it's pretty standard. Most supports are already starting with shield the majority of the time. It's a pretty broken item.

You already explained the reasons why yourself. :P

I guess I did haha. I was honestly just curious on other people's take on this start. I mean, the gold income items were made pretty much specifically for support as of Season 4, so I was wondering if it was better to start with one of those or with the extra sustain from Doran's Shield.

On that topic, what supports do you believe are the best suited for this start? Leona's already mentioned, and I personally think (like previously mentioned) that Lulu, Thresh, and Zyra also might benefit slightly more from these. However, in contrast, with like Soraka or Sona, I don't think it's quite as good, as they have a consistent heal and are ranged anyways.

Any other champions?
Made this sig myself :)
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2014 11:10am | Report
COMPLETELY dependent on lane matchup and your adc imo, essentially how aggressive you expect the lane to be and how much you expect to trade damage. but yes doran's shield is a good start in a good chunk of cases especially with the most popular supports.

i dunno if i would narrow it down to certain champs. i think it is useful on all champs in a given circumstance like a leona versus a lulu or something...the leona would definitely want it...but if it was leona vs ali i would start relic. just depends on how you expect the lane to run from my experience.

Thanks to Hogopogo for my signature!

GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2014 11:29am | Report
Shield is just borderline borken as an item atm. Technically it is actually a lot stronger than Doran's Blade as a start even on ad carries, although it'd make it harder to last-hit.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2014 1:23pm | Report
The past couple of weeks in the LCS match ups the shoutcasters would mention how Leona would take Relic Shield or ancient coin over Doran's Shield. It goes to show how the guys at the top influence the meta so much. I've been seeing champions like Trundle and Darius for the first time in a while because of how much the LCS does that.

To me though I feel like Doran's shield on a support is a bit like an all in. The trade off being that you have to sell it and that you won't be able to ward properly until the first back. I'm not so sure that being vulnerable to ganks is a good trade for all that opening power if you still die because you didn't see a gank coming in. But that is my low level opinion.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2014 2:48pm | Report
I probably wouldn't build it on Lulu, it's good on supports like Thresh and Leona because they all in. It can be good on Sona and Zyra to shore up their very poor early game survivability. I agree with Bioalchemist, it's dependent on your laning partner plus the enemy bot lane.
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide