Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Riot matchmaking system?

Creator: Cazziel October 28, 2018 12:00pm
Cazziel
<Member>
Cazziel's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2018 12:00pm | Report
I play a lot of ranked flex queue with my friends.
Now, we arent exactly "high-elo players" as we are silver-gold players.
But recently I discovered that a lot of unfair matchups happen. I just played a match against a small group of "flex-smurfs" who were plat-master elo, and my team was pure bronze-silver and low gold. The reason they are in this queue is because they purposely become silver/gold in flex so they can sh*t on some low elo players.
I dont think this is fair matchmaking - It ruins my mood, it's not fun it's more a waste of time. I've even tried this in Normal queue, where a platinum player queued up with 1 silver, 2 gold and an unranked player, just so he and his buddies could sh*t on some other players. It felt so dumb.
This happens way too much for me, and I'm starting to not enjoy playing anymore, because matchmaking feels unfair.
Have any of you guys experienced this?
Cazziel
<Member>
Cazziel's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2018 12:01pm | Report
Here's an example of one of the matchups I've played:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29ux35v&s=9#.W9YHU2hKg2w
KuuHaKu_OtgmZ
<Member>
KuuHaKu_OtgmZ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2018 3:28am | Report
Cazziel wrote:
Here's an example of one of the matchups I've played:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29ux35v&s=9#.W9YHU2hKg2w

Geez, when you said bronze/silver with higher elos I thought about gold/plat, but master is totally absurd! Riot's matchmaking uses MMR as player's ranked skill level, so a low elo player with high MMR has a big chance to play with high elo low MMR players.
But considering this matchup had a difference of about 4 whole elos, I can come up with only one answer: Master player was with 1 or more teammates pre-made on lobby, which lowered his team's MMR enough to end up playing against bronze/silver players.

But it's Riot, so consider that it could be a buggy matchmaking's fault. See ya!
Make sure to check my guides!
Hamstertamer
<Veteran>
Hamstertamer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2018 8:30am | Report
The MMR for flex queue has nothing to do with the MMR for solo queue whatsoever.

So the guy was master in solo queue and probably never played flex. And when he starts playing flex he gets put in silver/gold because it's treated as a new calibration.

The problem of smurfs is pretty overrated tho. Compared to ragequitters, soft inters, AFK farming crybabies etc.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2018 8:36am | Report
Actually @ Hamstertamer, as far as I know, flex queue and solo queue have an effect on the MMR, but only slightly and even if it did, there are rank restrictions in place anyway. :)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide