Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why do you vote?

Creator: Alahric August 5, 2010 2:18pm
Alahric
<Ancient Member>
Alahric's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2010 2:18pm | Report
It's simple, all you need to do is tell reasons behind why you +1 or -1' a guide.

1. What do you take interest in when you read and vote a guide?
2. What values are important when reading, and voting a guide?
3. What is your view on the voting system?
4. Do you comment when you vote?
5. - Anything you would like to add? -

Let me give you an example :)

1. Champions that I play or know a thing or two about.
2a. Description: Contructive, nice layout, grammar (readable).
2b. Build Setup: Reasonable explanations for everything.
3a. The old one was about popularity, and I mean all about popularity.
3b. The current one is trying to determine what guide is best, but trolls ruin it.
4. Of course! Even negative votes, although I don't always vote -1.
5. I think we need some changes.

You can do this in a wall of text, or any way you like!
PS: You don't have to answer all of them..
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2010 2:47pm | Report
Alahric wrote:

It's simple, all you need to do is tell reasons behind why you +1 or -1' a guide.

1. What do you take interest in when you read and vote a guide?
I pay special attention to item choice and description. If I don't feel something is correct then -1 + comment. If I enjoy the build then +1 (generally they don't need anymore comments haha).
2. What values are important when reading, and voting a guide?
Everything that was put together. Making sure the description takes into account everything on the actual build itself
3. What is your view on the voting system?
Not like I could come up with anything better. It seems like it'll work for now.
4. Do you comment when you vote?
Only negative votes generally (see above). Or if I feel the build is okay and just need a few improvements
5. - Anything you would like to add? -
Boobs.

Let me give you an example :)

1. Champions that I play or know a thing or two about.
2a. Description: Contructive, nice layout, grammar (readable).
2b. Build Setup: Reasonable explanations for everything.
3a. The old one was about popularity, and I mean all about popularity.
3b. The current one is trying to determine what guide is best, but trolls ruin it.
4. Of course! Even negative votes, although I don't always vote -1.
5. I think we need some changes.

You can do this is a wall of text, or any way you like!
PS: You don't have to answer all of them..

Yes, the last one was irrelevant.

RaNuD
<Member>
RaNuD's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2010 3:08pm | Report
1. Is there anything new with this build or is this just a "I play as everyone do but I prefer this specific item at this specific moment.I also love to spam."

2. A few weeks ago, it was for complete and in depth description of playstyle. As for now, refer to my first point.

3. Old system didnt work, new one is better. Although a 1-6 rating would be better than + or -. We'd get more accurate results then since we cannot presently rate a build as "ok". We have to leave it blank, which doesnt get any vote and the algorithm wont consider it valuable. (why 1-6 instead of 1-5? Because people tend to give 3. Never give a odd number of choices when its a scale)

4. I sometimes + without comment. If I - a serious build, I will always leave a comment as to why. You can deduct that I - spam builds without commenting.

5. Even though I am not 100% sure it would serve us well, I think there should be some multipliers applied to votes, based on the user's "value". Here are fictive numbers:
-a user without any build, thus no rating = 0.5
-a user with average rating build(s) = 1
-scale up to 2 or something.

And use this value to boost or reduce a vote's value. The point is to reduce the actual effectiveness of trolls/alternate accounts while rewarding users who contribute to the community. (to make sure you dont mess things up, just make a flat scale ex : when rated at least 40%, your votes =1, when you hit 60% vote =1.5, and so on.)

My 2 cents.
In a thread about his own ban,
gabpin wrote:
stfu I only did that : swearing and thats why i got ban are u ****** or something ?

In a thread about toxic players,
Go be a whiny baby elsewhere. Find and abuse the ignore button. No sense stinking up this forum with your crying.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2010 1:52am | Report
1. Is it complete. Does it containt all the information needed.
2. When reading i look for something that i can accualy read, and the layout. I hate wall of text that just tells me that this is something NOT interesting from the start. When i accualy read i look for clarifications on the choices that person made and after that a nice tips and tricks that i could accualy use.
3. It is ok, but not perfect...
4. I mainly "comment". I rate only in exeptional cases like obvious spam, adverts, or when a build is accualy REALY good. All those "okish" build can count only for a comment. I try to comment stuff i know about. For example i will read the guide for Khartus but i will not comment stuff inside it coz i have no idea how to play that char.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Dirty Goolash
<Veteran>
Dirty Goolash's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2010 2:16am | Report
1. I look for DEWO's name. JK. I generally just look for champion I'm intersted in. For example, I don't even own Kassadin, so i don't read guides for him.
2. I like for the guide to be organized and have at least some sort of description. I don't want a wall of text explaining 1 summoner spell and 2 of the items and how to play late game.
3. The new voting system is a bit confusing. But i honestly almost think it is more unfair than the old one. I think that a big green 4 or 5 is more attractive than a big yellow 66 or 74%.
4. I always comment when i vote, whether it's + or - I comment why i vote it down (which isn't very often since i ignore most builds unless I see at least SOME effort was put into it when I open it.) When I vote up I explain why their build is better than others in certain aspects, or why I like it, and when I vote down I of course explain what I found unsatisfying.
5. People may think it's just a popularity contest because all the people who make the popular builds put a lot of effort into them, causing all of their builds to be popular. Although i don't think the exposure of new community members is as much of a big deal as it may seem. For example, Booshido's first build became one of the top rated builds on the site, and I think it was because he put some effort into it. Some other examples of this could be BlueSquarred, Tegea, and Moiseman.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2010 2:46am | Report
@ DG

point no. 5.
God Bless DG :)
Quoted:
"Although i don't think the exposure of new community members is as much of a big deal as it may seem. For example, Booshido's first build became one of the top rated builds on the site, and I think it was because he put some effort into it. Some other examples of this could be BlueSquarred, Tegea, and Moiseman."

PS.
Quoted:
1. I look for DEWO's name.
eeeee???
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Dirty Goolash
<Veteran>
Dirty Goolash's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2010 1:03am | Report
I also wanted to add that the name of the guide makes a huge difference in it's appeal. I am much more tempted to look at a guide titled "Annie, The Frostfire Warlock" than a guide titled "AP Annie" The title of the guide does make a big difference.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
aethidd
<Member>
aethidd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2010 2:17am | Report
Since the new changes, I never down vote. I just feel that it's way to disruptive to the writer no matter how bad the guide is. Instead of down voting if a guide has 3 or more things that are either wrong or I don't agree with, I simply don't vote.

I usually read guides for characters/builds I haven't played, play a game with said build and either up vote or don't vote depending on how useful the guide was to me.
$p1k3yDemon
<Member>
$p1k3yDemon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2010 3:56pm | Report
Why do you not vote? http://www.mobafire.com/profile/p1k3ydemon-9153 (NEW/ 44%) =D
I look at new builds, skim to see if any of the builds are my champions or look at top rated builds. I love to comment and vote because it makes people want to view your profile and vote for you =D. Like I want to be on the front page and get some votes, everyone probably wants that so I vote and coment so people check out my builds:
http://www.mobafire.com/profile/p1k3ydemon-9153
IF YOU VIEW A BUILD, COMMENT AND VOTE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I vote -1: People like to do joke builds or their build isn't as great, doesnt even work?
Stacking items e.g 5 maladys. Always leave a comment to tell them why I -1, sometimes they will comment back but I always love a comment. Or I dislike it in my opinion because their playing style doesnt work and the build is too expensive/ weak.
+1: Tried it and liked it. Awesome so leave a comment. It is a awesome guide/ build.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide