Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Being in a skype call fixes wireless lag?

Creator: Khazem June 8, 2013 11:20am
Khazem
<King of the Hill>
Khazem's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2013 11:20am | Report
For the past week or so I've been connecting to an internet hotspot to get online while some issues with my normal internet are being resolved. Now every time I connect to a wireless net that's not my own, I always experience these frequent 1-2 second lag spikes which I was led to believe is quite common for wireless internet connections.
I don't really have a clue how internet works so this next part confuses the **** out of me. Whenever I'm in a skype call on the same wireless ****ty internet, these lag spikes magically disappear and I can play without any lag whatsoever. I've already tested it to make sure it wasn't just a coincidence by going in a custom game without skype call for 5 minutes and then going into a new custom game for 5 minutes while in a skype call.
I know this isn't just skype being a magical fix to ****ty internet so I'm wondering what is.

someone pls educate me
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2013 11:23am | Report
did u try turning it off and on again
YayaFTW
<Altruistic Artist>
YayaFTW's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2013 11:59am | Report
Just a wild guess since I have no clue or whatsover on how bandwidth sharing works, but lets assume that this internet hotspot has a 100Mb/s bandwidth that is shared between the devices connected to it. Maybe the owner of the internet hotspot edited a list of programs in the bandwidth configuration as to when it identifies your device and notices that you are using a program (in this case Skype) that requires a higher bandwidth than the one that is normally shared, it gives bandwidth priority to the device, therefore the bandwidth overflows and the lagspikes disappear because you get a higher bandwidth.

Just a wild guess, dunno really. If you want to be sure, try connecting to another internet hotspots and see if you don't lag when you run skype + LoL.

My 0.02
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2013 12:31pm | Report
i think that is a decent explanation. i was thinking about the isp using a different channel/bandwidth for certain programs so that certain channels were unstable, therefore causing lag spikes once in a while. throwing lol signals masked as skype ones seems like the way to go. =3

Sig made by Tamy
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2013 2:15pm | Report
To my knowledge, the host of a Skype call shares his/her bandwidth, so maybe the person who calls you has high Internet speed or something.

That's what happens to me, anyway.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2013 4:17pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

did u try turning it off and on again

Tech support 101.

On a serious note:
I think it might have to do with the pinging of the router and the connecting servers. When only using a small amount of data the network puts your connection on low priority, probably putting your packages on the backburner in favor of others, while if you're using something that constantly transmits data (like Skype) you get prioritized higher.

To confirm this, try downloading something at the same time and limiting the speed to like 50kb/s down (and up if using some bittorrent).
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide